Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The game pass app was genuinely a dumpster fire for years. These days it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

They wouldn't do anything as passively as deny an update, they'll let things continue as normal, letting updates through, until the moment they pull the app and then release statements weeks in the crafting.

Someone in one of the other Elon threads pegged it: all Apple has to do is say that because Twitter gutted its CSAM team to a single person, they don't feel safe keeping them in the app store. That'd instantly deflate any of Elon's whining about censorship or Tim Cook.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Google's gotta be quietly getting ready to move too, I expect they're probably getting all their ducks in a row with justifications and everything to be able to 'come to the same conclusions' as Apple in a matter of hours if Apple pulls it. Or go first, but if Apple pulls, Google won't want to be too far behind.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

In my defense I hadn't had my coffee and was channeling my inner Stugotz

No need to defend yourself. I'm sure most people do it. Hell, first time I saw Cocaine Cowboys I saw the name Billy Corben and I was like, "That's interesting, the guy from Smashing Pumpkins made this."

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Deptfordx posted:

The game pass app was genuinely a dumpster fire for years. These days it's fine.
Yeah, PC Gamepass is fine. The person was complaining about Minecraft on Gamepass. Minecraft is the most hosed up piece of software to exist in decades. It's migrated through three distribution systems and required the user to jump through hoops each time. It's a loving mess.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Deptfordx posted:

I let my sub expire recently since it was so bad. I had the new Plague’s Take download, patch, and then redownload like 3 times. In general it was a 50% chance any game would actually launch. loving disaster.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would expect some girthy legal language explaining and cataloguing incidents where they have willfully violated the terms of service and their regulatory requirements.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

dr_rat posted:

A statement that will be incredibly boring and generic.

Everything will be vetted and written by the lawyers already preparing for a lawsuit by twitter.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Though it’s not surefire. I had a real idiot boss and my strategy was to let him burn his own rear end. “Don’t let anyone see us working against him.” Alas, I underestimated upper management’s ability to listen to idiots when they blame an entire team for their incompetence. I expect the same to some level with Musk too, the right will buy his woeful tale of activists and leftists destroying his beautiful company.

I worked at a drycleaner that had the business of all the low- and high-level politicians in NM along with a bunch of rich, rich, rich people cuz they were $2.25/item (eventually $2.50), plus $1.25 launder and starch on shirts. Volume. People kept whining about using credit cards. I told them to get a Square and use it on their phone. "Oh but we've been talking with the bank and it's just too much to install the system and buy the hardware and pay them their cut, it's too much!"
"Yeah just get a Square"
"Oh but we've been talking with the bank and it's just too much to install the system and buy the hardware and pay them their cut, it's too much!"
"Yeah just get a Square"
ad nauseam. Once I left for a new job, I went back to clean a suit and they had credit card machines, and I asked my old coworker what happened, and she told me they went ahead and signed that lovely contract Wells Fargo wouldn't budge on.
A year later they shut down the factory and got divorced.

Real dipshit Toby Keith loving cowboy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And the funny thing is, Apple probably doesn't have to lift a finger; Twitter will probably destroy itself from one of several likely crises: a cert ending and the institutional knowledge that could renew it was fired, Euro labor laws, not being able to pay bills because over half their advertisers walked....

Wasn't there a whole thing about the company not qualifying as having its headquarters internationally any longer, which could potentially open it up to massive taxes?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

is that the one with gullwing doors?

The smaller and cheaper version of the one with gullwing doors (Model X).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MikeJF posted:

Reminder that Google and their waymo research chose not to release any level 3 semi-self-driving products like autopilot because their studies made them decide it would be unethical to do so. Because the idea of 'the car is doing most of the work but the driver stays alert to intervene if necessary' turned out to be impossible in the real world.

It's been about 2 years since I've talked to him about it, but I know a guy whose SE firm works/worked with google and I think Ford for awhile on their self driving software/hardware.

It sounds like most companies have the ability to do self-driving that's a big improvement on Tesla (if only because they're not irrationally against LIDAR), but nobody's solved the problems of poorly maintained/documented roads occasionally loving up the AI, the fact that people around you aren't going to be in self driving cars and thus can drive irrationally, and poor weather loving up the systems hard (I heard this one was closest to being solved).

Basically it can work wonders in a perfect scenario, or if users can be relied upon to actually be paying attention in autonomous mode, but poo poo happens and thus true adoption of autonomous vehicles on a large scale won't happen until things are drat near as close to perfect as possible.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Apple’s lawyers sighing when they expected a quiet December and most of the department took off most of the month.

At least it might be fun to prepare a case against Musk.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Someone needs to tell Ian Miles Cheong that Elon is not going to gently caress him but honestly, I have no idea what's going to happen this timeline so there might actually be a chance Elon does gently caress Ian

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Deki posted:

It's been about 2 years since I've talked to him about it, but I know a guy whose SE firm works/worked with google and I think Ford for awhile on their self driving software/hardware.

It sounds like most companies have the ability to do self-driving that's a big improvement on Tesla (if only because they're not irrationally against LIDAR), but nobody's solved the problems of poorly maintained/documented roads occasionally loving up the AI, the fact that people around you aren't going to be in self driving cars and thus can drive irrationally, and poor weather loving up the systems hard (I heard this one was closest to being solved).

Basically it can work wonders in a perfect scenario, or if users can be relied upon to actually be paying attention in autonomous mode, but poo poo happens and thus true adoption of autonomous vehicles on a large scale won't happen until things are drat near as close to perfect as possible.

therefore slap LIDAR and cameras on the important spots and make people drive their loving cars because even with all that poo poo it's less work than monitoring a PLC in realtime

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jelly posted:

Yeah, PC Gamepass is fine. The person was complaining about Minecraft on Gamepass. Minecraft is the most hosed up piece of software to exist in decades. It's migrated through three distribution systems and required the user to jump through hoops each time. It's a loving mess.

They've largely consolidated a lot of it now, so its mostly Bedrock and Java versions now aligned with Microsoft's SSO.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MikeJF posted:

Reminder that Google and their waymo research chose not to release any level 3 semi-self-driving products like autopilot because their studies made them decide it would be unethical to do so. Because the idea of 'the car is doing most of the work but the driver stays alert to intervene if necessary' turned out to be impossible in the real world.

It's a great idea until you put humans in the mix and they gently caress everything up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Someone needs to tell Ian Miles Cheong that Elon is not going to gently caress him but honestly, I have no idea what's going to happen this timeline so there might actually be a chance Elon does gently caress Ian

Ian is an adult though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Elon won't gently caress IMC.

But he WILL try to gently caress the queen IMC knows who he heard is VERY fertile.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I could see them publicly identifying with MTGOW and someone posits that loving women is actually a beta move. Whether that means they start becoming involved together will have to remain an Act 3 twist.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I could see them publicly identifying with MTGOW and someone posits that loving women is actually a beta move. Whether that means they start becoming involved together will have to remain an Act 3 twist.

being gay is manly as gently caress https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My Father in law has a model Y and I took a ride in it. The autopilot tends to be jerky and it hugs the inside of the lane towards the double yellow line, which is scary on twisty country roads.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Think about the automation in your life and consider how any of the self-driving cars being called so makes any sense in the context of, say, your dishwasher. It'd be like standing at a sink and watching as the water swishes around in a basin but if you take your eyes off there's a significant chance that it'll jam on something and start hurling your fine china into the walls at mach 3. You'd not call that "automated" in any real sense, particularly if you keep having to reach in to flick off specks of ramen noodle the machine didn't get, while it's washing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deptfordx posted:

the MS Store is fine until it isn't. when it isn't fine, there is almost nothing short of reset/reinstall of the whole drat OS to make it work.

it's like, the improvement since years ago is that it works for most people now instead of being hosed up for most people. but the process for solving problems is the same dead-chicken-waving as always.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Planet X posted:

My Father in law has a model Y and I took a ride in it. The autopilot tends to be jerky and it hugs the inside of the lane towards the double yellow line, which is scary on twisty country roads.

Probably sees the double-yellow as a single line. I work with vision systems every day, screenprinters, chipmounters and AOIs. They are incredibly helpful and automate *a fuckload* of stuff when used correctly, but the first thing my boss told me when I started working with vision systems is to never trust them and once-over everything visually. I work SMD and I catch stuff vision doesn't catch with my naked eye looking at a panel with 20 boards and ~5000 parts on it, or clogged apertures in screens on panels I happen to notice about to go into the CM, etc.

Vision systems are helpers and will never be a solution to any kind of full automation. I have an AOI that, no matter how many times it's trained, takes pictures of a diode in the correct configuration as wrong polarity. it has two lines across the package as the polarity marker

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 30, 2022

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Apple’s lawyers sighing when they expected a quiet December and most of the department took off most of the month.

At least it might be fun to prepare a case against Musk.

Is there an explainer for this because I went through like 6 pages of this thread and I still don't know what is going on with Twitter and Apple.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there an explainer for this because I went through like 6 pages of this thread and I still don't know what is going on with Twitter and Apple.

Elon wants out of giving Apple their 30% cut of in app purchases. Apples ceo has closed his Twitter account and Musk is ranting at them. Literally no further action has been taken by Apple so far as I can tell, but boy is Musk mad at them

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Essays that I still think about on the last mile of automation, a decade later:

https://www.macroresilience.com/2011/12/29/people-make-poor-monitors-for-computers/

https://www.macroresilience.com/2013/05/09/deskilling-and-the-cul-de-sac-of-near-perfect-automation/

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

Elon fired everybody at twitter and then started his plans to charge to use twitter

Apple was like “ok we get 30% of all apple store sales”

Elon threw a tantrum and is trying to Post Through It

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm no businessman, but why don't companies just increase their prices 30% in the App Store? Like "if you buy on our website, you save 30%, but if you wanna pay now, go for it (5 more bux)"

also lol at Elon going "Chess? hm. a caveman's game. mobile Simcity, a genius design"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

One thing to note is that all this is coming from Elon. Apple hasn't said a word publicly, and while he's been all over the map on what Apple's doing to Twitter, we've got no confirmation of anything. Apple might be kicking Twitter off the store! Apple might be withdrawing its ad money from Twitter! Both might be occurring, neither might be occurring, maybe someone at Apple in a polite but strained memo asked what the actual gently caress Musk is talking about and it's being made public because he's the whiniest baby on Earth.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Twibbit posted:

Elon wants out of giving Apple their 30% cut of in app purchases. Apples ceo has closed his Twitter account and Musk is ranting at them. Literally no further action has been taken by Apple so far as I can tell, but boy is Musk mad at them

He also started taking shots at Google for much the same reason

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Musky 's peepee and feefees is mad.

(also deep down he KNOWS that Tim Cook and other CEO are more important and somehow "cooler" because theyre not birdshitting multiple times an hour for almost all 24 hours a day)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

rotinaj posted:

Elon fired everybody at twitter and then started his plans to charge to use twitter

Apple was like “ok we get 30% of all apple store sales”

Elon threw a tantrum and is trying to Post Through It

Worth adding this isn't a new or surprise fee. It's well known and hated thing Apple does to everything in their store.

Also, there were signals Apple had issues with his new approach to moderation/business relationships besides that, pulling their ads, so he's conflating two things and as rotinaj said, Post Through It.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Planet X posted:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Musk doesn't want to pay the 30% apple asks for on the App store.

So he's trying to annoy Apple into giving him a break by accusing them publically of a bunch of irrelevant stuff because there is no way whatsoever that he can possibly win otherwise. Epic just lost that same fight.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kw0134 posted:

One thing to note is that all this is coming from Elon. Apple hasn't said a word publicly, and while he's been all over the map on what Apple's doing to Twitter, we've got no confirmation of anything. Apple might be kicking Twitter off the store! Apple might be withdrawing its ad money from Twitter! Both might be occurring, neither might be occurring, maybe someone at Apple in a polite but strained memo asked what the actual gently caress Musk is talking about and it's being made public because he's the whiniest baby on Earth.

Yeah this is significant because the entire collective right is in full-on attack mode over this, including Fox doing segments and DeSantis demanding congressional hearings, and yet absolutely nothing has actually happened, or even been confirmed by anyone other than Elon. Actually surprised we haven't seen videos of chuds destorying their iphones yet. Though I did notice some prominent right wing talking heads have finally figured out not to send tweets attacking Apple from their iPhone

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Deki posted:

From what I understand, experts believe that the next step will be self-driving semitrucks doing long distance trips on highways between highway rest stops. The technology is ready for this, it's likely profitable and there is a huge driver shortage that is only going to get worse. We will probably see this happening by 2030 already. Private autonomous cars zooming around busy street traffic? Yeah, lol, that's still just a pipe dream.

Also, the self-driving trucks will of course use a real real sensor package including lidar. Doing self-driving with a couple of lovely off the shelf cameras like Tesla is trying is not gonna ever happen.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aramis posted:

So he's trying to annoy Apple into giving him a break by accusing them publically of a bunch of irrelevant stuff because there is no way whatsoever that he can possibly win otherwise. Epic just lost that same fight.

Why should my company have to follow the rules it agreed to follow? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aramis posted:

I think it's more like he's hoping his republican buddies will actually do something to hurt apple.