Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

KirbyKhan posted:

Had similar flu go down like 2 weeks ago. My guy ate bread slices for comfort. See if you have the patience for the Pedialyte popsicles with a small pack, otherwise a big rear end series of tubes takes up your freezer forever. I had better luck with liquid pedialyte cut with water.

On one hand she was refusing the pops earlier.
On the other hand my husband who does physical labor will eat them happily lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

External Organs posted:

Y'all I watched Kiki's Delivery Service with my 2.5 year old yesterday (first time for me), and that is one chill cute little film.

Totoro too.
I also watched it for the first time when my kid was that age and it was great. For a while it was the only thing she wanted to see on a screen.

10/10 film, no notes, would happily watch any given scene on repeat with a toddler who doesn't know how to operate a rewind button.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

wizzardstaff posted:

I also watched it for the first time when my kid was that age and it was great. For a while it was the only thing she wanted to see on a screen.

10/10 film, no notes, would happily watch any given scene on repeat with a toddler who doesn't know how to operate a rewind button.

She was already into witches so it was great. Afterwards, she wanted us to hold her arms up so she could swing around and pretend to be flying a broom :3:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ponyo is a big hit in our house, all those sea creatures swimming around

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Ponyo is why my kid will occasionally refuse to eat anything but instant noodles.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have such a soft spot for ponyo! My son looked exactly like her when he was a bit smaller and also loves ham. Studio Ghibli is so incredible at animating children.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Totoro is still the only full length movie my kids (4, 2) have seen. The big oak tree across the street on the way to preschool that drops a prodigious amount of acorns is “the Totoro tree” and a dear friend who studied abroad in Japan gave us many Totoro and Cat Bus stuffies.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Oh man Ponyo is so good. So much better to have the mermaid story deal with small children rather than the Disney teenage princess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Ponyo is why my kid will occasionally refuse to eat anything but instant noodles.

See that's better than demanding a magic full course buffet that turns you into a hog.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need some extra opinions on a daycare problem we're having.

The kid is doing really well there, he's 2.5 now, been there about 2 months.

When we signed up they were like "yeah, have your kid being a stuffed animal, most of the kids bring them".

Today they sent an all caps email telling parents to stop sending stuffed animals or toys at all in.

When we picked up the kid from daycare today they told us our son is one of the biggest problems with them and we need to stop sending him with his stuffed mimikyu (a pokemon) because apparently other kids keep stealing it and then he gets really mad at them for taking it from him.

On the one hand I sympathize with them trying to keep order in the classroom, on the other he literally takes that plushie everywhere with him. He talks to it, he feeds it, he teaches it things. He plays pretend with it, he snuggles it whenever he's upset to calm down, he basically spends 24/7 attached at the hip to it.

Like I get that they're trying to keep order in the daycare room, but there's nothing wrong with a kid having a stuffed animal they take with them, especially at 2.5. They also told us that developmentally they want to try and transition the kids away from relying on their stuffed animals for comfort, but like he's not even 3. When we picked him up today he was distraught, panicking begging us to help him find his stuffed animal because the teachers had taken it away and he didn't know where it was.

Is that normal for daycare to do that? Insist on no stuffed animals? My first instinct was that we need to find another daycare, because it seems like this can't be right or healthy for my son.

But I'm also probably biased about this and may not be thinking clearly.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My kids (4 and 2) definitely have stuffed animals at their preschool. The 2 year old just started a few weeks ago and he carries his everywhere. Our 4 year old did the same for probably a year. We never had anyone from the preschool complain about it or suggest that we stop.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I need some extra opinions on a daycare problem we're having.

The kid is doing really well there, he's 2.5 now, been there about 2 months.

When we signed up they were like "yeah, have your kid being a stuffed animal, most of the kids bring them".

Today they sent an all caps email telling parents to stop sending stuffed animals or toys at all in.

When we picked up the kid from daycare today they told us our son is one of the biggest problems with them and we need to stop sending him with his stuffed mimikyu (a pokemon) because apparently other kids keep stealing it and then he gets really mad at them for taking it from him.

On the one hand I sympathize with them trying to keep order in the classroom, on the other he literally takes that plushie everywhere with him. He talks to it, he feeds it, he teaches it things. He plays pretend with it, he snuggles it whenever he's upset to calm down, he basically spends 24/7 attached at the hip to it.

Like I get that they're trying to keep order in the daycare room, but there's nothing wrong with a kid having a stuffed animal they take with them, especially at 2.5. They also told us that developmentally they want to try and transition the kids away from relying on their stuffed animals for comfort, but like he's not even 3. When we picked him up today he was distraught, panicking begging us to help him find his stuffed animal because the teachers had taken it away and he didn't know where it was.

Is that normal for daycare to do that? Insist on no stuffed animals? My first instinct was that we need to find another daycare, because it seems like this can't be right or healthy for my son.

But I'm also probably biased about this and may not be thinking clearly.

Our daycare technically has a “no toys from home” policy but I’ve never seen it enforced. I see a lot of kids bringing in teddy bears and such all the time.

Is there any way to discuss this with the staff any further? If the stuffed animal is really causing problems in the classroom then I think it is reasonable to ask to keep it at home in order to avoid conflicts, but I’d hope they’d at least help transition your kid away from needing it over the course of at least a few days instead of just taking it away and not telling him where it was.

I don’t think this would be enough to make me look for a new day care unless you have had any other problems but I’d hope they work with you on the stuffed animal issue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our daycare has stuffed animals and dolls on site but as far as I'm aware no kids bring theirs to school, except for one day when they did a dance thing

If it's a problem they can't handle they'll tell you about it, I can't imagine they'd change course for no reason

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

Our daycare technically has a “no toys from home” policy but I’ve never seen it enforced. I see a lot of kids bringing in teddy bears and such all the time.

Is there any way to discuss this with the staff any further? If the stuffed animal is really causing problems in the classroom then I think it is reasonable to ask to keep it at home in order to avoid conflicts, but I’d hope they’d at least help transition your kid away from needing it over the course of at least a few days instead of just taking it away and not telling him where it was.

I don’t think this would be enough to make me look for a new day care unless you have had any other problems but I’d hope they work with you on the stuffed animal issue.

We talked with them today. But only for about 3-4 minutes.

Apparently the biggest problem is that our son will get really mad and pushy whenever other kids take it. And they haven't been able to stop him, or the other kids with any consistency.

I don't have any particular troubles with this place, except it's slightly inconvenient to get to.

Also tonight he stayed up 2 hours past his bedtime crying and one of the things he kept saying was "I don't want to lose mimi again". He was still upset about it 7 hours after we picked him up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Our daycare has a strict no toys from home policy, I assumed it was like that everywhere. That would be so tough on a little one to take their stuffy away :(

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wonder if you could take pictures of the toy doing "work" things at the house that you could show your kid when you pick him up from daycare, so you can be like -- check it out! Your fuzzy friend had a busy day at work while you were at school!

Okay now I want to dress up a Pokemon in a suit and get it a lil briefcase...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We employed similar technique with our kid: tell stories of what her lamby did while she was at preschool. She used to be super attached to it especially for sleep time, but now not so much at almost 3yo.

e: also a strict "no home toys" policy at her school

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This morning my preschooler packed a Trader Joe’s bag full of toys and demanded to take it to school. It was not a very peaceful morning once I had to make the ruling, but it was pretty adorable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're leaving for Disney tomorrow and I made the mistake of letting my kid pack his own bag of toys.

He made a point to take as many of the smallest toys he can fit. He doesn't even play with most of them, he was just trying to minimax his toy allocation.

Also a giant pile of cotton. I don't know. He likes it.

Also wrt: stuffed animals in school. Our policy is no toys except a single lovey. Kids need their lovies. Let them have their lovey. The responsibility should be on the other kids to not touch each other's lovies, and the teachers to, well, teach them that.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 30, 2022

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I sent them another message this morning, they are gonna try letting the little guy keep his lovey for Naptime today and stowed away the rest of the day.

They also said that their policy about lovey's from home usually only is needed for a week or two til the kid is comfortable without, which is not what they said when we started there.

I don't know what to do. Hopefully he can adjust??? I just don't want the little dude to be traumatized every day coming home freaking out again.

We gotta decide by end of day tomorrow if we want to pull him to avoid paying for January too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

The two daycares we've used have had a "no toys from home" policy.

I think it makes sense. When all the toys at daycare are communal, all the kids are on the same ground, and if a dispute breaks out between kids then the staff can intercede how they wish because the kids don't actually "own" any of the toys and they generally understand that. But if your kid brings in a toy from home and a dispute erupts, the staff has trouble interceding because the child really does own the toy and knows it. But the other kids don't have their toys, so it's not fair ground.

There's other issues too: toys get routinely lost, or pitched if broken, or whatever. It's a lot easier to avoid any issues with parents over stuff getting taken or thrown out if there's just a blanket policy of "no toys from home".

The thing that doesn't make sense to me here is that they told you he could bring in a stuffed animal even though it's not allowed. Does that mean other kids do and it's overlooked unless it's a problem? Or do the other kids have a stuffed animal they use for nap time but not during playtime? You might want to seek clarification there, although in this particular case given what's already happened you'll probably have to go cold turkey on the plush.

I've said before that a daycare is only as good as you can trust the staff, and particularly the director. A good daycare is one where the director runs a tight ship, even if it means you're occasionally on the receiving end of bad news and have to do some legwork to make the situation work best for your child and everyone else. A not so great daycare is one that neglects to deal with problems, which have a tendency to grow into bigger problems and sometimes actual child neglect.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me here is that they told you he could bring in a stuffed animal even though it's not allowed. Does that mean other kids do and it's overlooked unless it's a problem? Or do the other kids have a stuffed animal they use for nap time but not during playtime? You might want to seek clarification there, although in this particular case given what's already happened you'll probably have to go cold turkey on the plush.

See above post.

They told us it was explicitly allowed.

And now they're saying "well it's allowed but we are changing it because it was causing issues"

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

And now they're saying "well it's allowed but we are changing it because it was causing issues"
I get the way the situation unfolded was clearly not optimal. It's a legitimate complaint for evaluating whether it's the right place to care for your child.

That said, realistically how do you expect to move forward? If you don't have the ability to provide home care or hire a nanny (which itself comes with a lot of challenges) most daycares you'll find will have the same toy policy. Even if they don't have a "no toy" policy your kiddo is likely to run into the same ownership challenges from covetous children anywhere else, and I wouldn't expect the staff anywhere to always remedy it on your child's terms.

So whether you stay or leave, I think you're still going to have to figure out the plush situation too.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stuffies are kind of a different thing IMO. Seems like they should be allowed.

Also, they're 2. They don't understand respecting ownership, so of course this is going to be an issue. But also, they're 2, comfort objects are still significant.

But honestly I understand the policy. A few weeks ago our 5 year old asked if she could bring legos in to day care... we of course told her no, because we don't want it to be lost/stolen/broken or otherwise become a distraction in the class. Then she said "well <friend> does!" so we said OK we'll ask your teacher. Naturally, we were hoping she would forget... she didn't.

She asked her teacher the very next day and the teacher had the audacity to say, "Yes, of course you can!"

Thankfully by the end of the day she seemed to have forgotten, so we didn't have to have that fight with her because lol no you're not bringing legos in with you kiddo.

Also thankfully neither of our kids are THAT attached to their stuffies. They each have a couple, but they're mostly bed/nap things, not "I need it at all times" things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Ours had a no toys from home policy but one thing is for certain, he's certainly able to adjust... eventually. No one wants to encourage dependency but 2.5 seems young to force it if there's no need. I wouldn't leave a good situation over it but you mentioned the location was inconvenient so if there's a better location you want to try out it's gotta be easier than changing schools once kids are older.

Also we just got around to that Bluey episode where Bluey teaches Bingo all the annoying stuff she does like saying "borp" constantly so guess what we're saying constantly?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My kid was being a turd at bedtime with tooth brushing so I said if she didn't come over here and do teeth brushing in 54321 she wouldn't have a pacifier for bedtime. Well, she didn't come over, and folks? I gambled on my nighttime sleep sanity and won. She fell asleep totally normally after some very mild fussing. I am drunk with power.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I get the way the situation unfolded was clearly not optimal. It's a legitimate complaint for evaluating whether it's the right place to care for your child.

That said, realistically how do you expect to move forward? If you don't have the ability to provide home care or hire a nanny (which itself comes with a lot of challenges) most daycares you'll find will have the same toy policy. Even if they don't have a "no toy" policy your kiddo is likely to run into the same ownership challenges from covetous children anywhere else, and I wouldn't expect the staff anywhere to always remedy it on your child's terms.

So whether you stay or leave, I think you're still going to have to figure out the plush situation too.

I already found a daycare for the same price, closer, that has an explicit lovey policy.

They apparently have set up a place for lovey's to watch class from, and teach kids who owns what lovey and apparently they also teach the kids that if they find a lovey on the ground to bring it to a teacher or return it to it's owner.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

I already found a daycare for the same price, closer, that has an explicit lovey policy.

They apparently have set up a place for lovey's to watch class from, and teach kids who owns what lovey and apparently they also teach the kids that if they find a lovey on the ground to bring it to a teacher or return it to it's owner.

That's p good

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

Well, alright then. If they have openings that sounds pretty much the best case scenario.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Stuffies are kind of a different thing IMO. Seems like they should be allowed.

Yeah, I get no outside toys (that's the rule at our preschool too), but a single stuffy or other comfort object seems like a clear exception.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've said before that a daycare is only as good as you can trust the staff, and particularly the director. A good daycare is one where the director runs a tight ship, even if it means you're occasionally on the receiving end of bad news and have to do some legwork to make the situation work best for your child and everyone else. A not so great daycare is one that neglects to deal with problems, which have a tendency to grow into bigger problems and sometimes actual child neglect.

This is the best advice I've seen on the topic

The daycare staff don't want to make any kids or parents mad, but also if they can't do their jobs effectively they're gonna ask you to make changes to help everyone.

As for bad communication, daycares are barely contained chaos on the best of days; if messaging is inconsistent it's probably because keeping 50+ kids alive and fed and safe is exhausting and don't have a lot of time for stuff like staff meetings.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Advice I’d give any parent or soon-to-be parent: do core workouts before your infant turns into a toddler.

Last night was the second or third time in the past 7-8 months I have pulled a back muscle lifting my kids and I am moving around like an 80 year old right now. I have been neglecting strength and stability training for years now and I feel like it’s catching up to me.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Or you can just wing it with your constantly adjusting lifting weight. My core is incredible these days with my little 99-percentiler.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Physical training and energy expression must happen for a smooth and restful nap time. It's been raining lately, so I just make my guy go up the stairs and down the stairs for like a half hour in the morning. On fair weather days we go outside to the apartment park that has baby slides and adult workout bars. Fittest Ive been since my early 20s.

I long for the day that son and dog can cancel each other's energy out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I picked up my daughter Saturday as she was running away, bent over at the waist, arms fully extended, I definitely felt something go ping on my lower back trying to support all that cantilevered weight

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Pregnancy just completely rekt my core in the front and I was overcompensating horribly with my back and sides, leading to a lot of pain (but thankfully no acute injury). It only really got better after I did about 10 weeks of dedicated bodyweight core work when my baby was ~10mo.

Tbh once I get past the worst of the lovely sleep periods, the time I take exercising makes me a happier person and a better parent. It feels hard to prioritize in the moment, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Honestly who needs a gym membership when your 20 lb tot spots you by laughing and squirming every time you deadlift her or do a kettle ball above the head toss

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Update to the lovey at the current daycare: they agreed to let him have it for Naptime, but not the rest of the day.

The pictures of him today he looked absolutely miserable.

Usually he's grinning and laughing and playing and today he's just got a constant pout in every picture and came home saying "I NOT WANT TO GO DAYCARE AGAIN"

If the tour tomorrow goes well Ill see how fast we can get him swapped even if it means double paying for a month of daycare. Him being miserable every day when he comes home is just unacceptable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

davebo posted:

Also we just got around to that Bluey episode where Bluey teaches Bingo all the annoying stuff she does like saying "borp" constantly so guess what we're saying constantly?

Beats "Save our stump! Save our stump!" at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I could stand Bluey a lot more if our 6yo would use the games played on there as a springboard of creativity and not as iron bound rituals where you are expected to perform and say things exactly as the parents do like it's a loving kabuki play or religious ritual.

L0cke17 posted:

Update to the lovey at the current daycare: they agreed to let him have it for Naptime, but not the rest of the day.

The pictures of him today he looked absolutely miserable.

Usually he's grinning and laughing and playing and today he's just got a constant pout in every picture and came home saying "I NOT WANT TO GO DAYCARE AGAIN"

If the tour tomorrow goes well Ill see how fast we can get him swapped even if it means double paying for a month of daycare. Him being miserable every day when he comes home is just unacceptable.

You can pry my 3yo's stuffed koala out of his cold dead hands so i feel you. It seems more like the actual biggest issues are the kids stealing it and not the toddler getting upset in an annoying if age appropriate fashion.

Speaking of the 3yo, he had an evaluation with our ISD for his speech delay issues. His is bad enough thst they're listing it as a disability so hopefully we can get some ISD help now that he's used up all of the sessions my insurance'll pay for this yeah.

The kiddo also took such a massive crap this evening while my parents were over that it basically launched out the back of his pull up and ended up on the rug. My dad basically fled the scene while we got him stripped down and into the bath. Thank god we have a Ruggable so it was easy to peel up to wash. Hardwood-esque floors are also easy to clean.

If he's already doing bear-sized mega dumps i shudder at the thought of how it'll be when he's even older. Our poor, ooor plumbing...