Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

cagliostr0 posted:

Arsene Wenger is possibly the only person with worse ideas about how to fix football than Americans

I love that Stoke City trolled him into detesting 0-0s and throw ins lol

:stoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Have we seen the artificial clouds yet? I'm beginning to think that they might not be coming...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
We had one a few days ago:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I love that Stoke City trolled him into detesting 0-0s and throw ins lol

:stoke:

infantino hire tony pulis to fix football you coward

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

infantino hire tony pulis to fix football you coward

Naked shower boxing to replace penalty shootouts

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whypick1 posted:

We had one a few days ago:

i was going to be mad if it wasn't the cumrag ghost mascot but okay, that's an acceptable take too

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Grimson posted:

ive always enjoyed these paragraph from juan villoro

PHWOOAAARR or what have you.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

vyelkin posted:

lol FIFA just really dedicated to making sure that every new World Cup is the worst World Cup ever

The tried and proven WWE method.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

cagliostr0 posted:

Arsene Wenger is possibly the only person with worse ideas about how to fix football than Americans

he's so loving stupid lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Masonity posted:

That's part of what makes it such a sick burn.

Although as an Englishman football temporarily ceased to exist in 94. 1996 was my real introduction to football, both the Euros then watching Arsene Who? arrive. My first at the stadium memory was the not-foul on Robbie Fowler at Highbury where even he told the ref it wasn't a penalty, but the idiot ref disagreed. In 97.
Wait I thought for modern English people football was invented in 1992.

vyelkin posted:

I love penalty shootouts but I hate the Americanization of the sport which demands that we somehow do away with draws.
And it's funny you say that because there haven't been shootouts to decide winners and losers in the top two tiers of leagues in the US at any point in the 21st Century.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the romanticization of draws here doesn’t reflect how most people enjoy the game. Most draws aren’t some plucky minor team grinding it out against a big team. And even when that happens it’s not always entertaining. The game has changed over the years to favor attackers more, to create a stronger incentive to win rather than draw. People agree with those things.

That said I agree they’re using penalty shootouts the wrong way. PKs are an inelegant feature of the game. They’re hugely dependent on luck and are a good alternative to flipping a coin. They make sense for assigning a winner in knockout stages where there has to be a winner.

Applying them to draws is nonsensical and would hugely distort how the game is played. My guess is they would make the game more defensive and encourage smaller teams to grind out draws when they would otherwise chase a goal. Certainly it would induce teams to spend a lot more time training for pens as opposed to, you know, the game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Applying them to draws is nonsensical and would hugely distort how the game is played. My guess is they would make the game more defensive and encourage smaller teams to grind out draws when they would otherwise chase a goal. Certainly it would induce teams to spend a lot more time training for pens as opposed to, you know, the game.

It’s a way to have your 16 groups of 3 teams each cake and be able to eat it as well. Which is why it’s so incredibly dumb.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

It’s a way to have your 16 groups of 3 teams each cake and be able to eat it as well. Which is why it’s so incredibly dumb.
Only the cake is a pile of poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

And it's funny you say that because there haven't been shootouts to decide winners and losers in the top two tiers of leagues in the US at any point in the 21st Century.

I realize that MLS may not have them (though they still have playoffs), but other US sports really go out of their way to avoid draws and I feel like whenever I see a proposal to do away with them in football, very often there's somebody arguing that there should always be a winner using American sports as their model.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1597940005464408065

What the loving gently caress is this? Can't we just glass the US and get it over worth?

And only 6 years behind the EFL Trophy and Scottish League Cup. FIFA's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas here.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
There’s always golden goal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

vyelkin posted:

I realize that MLS may not have them (though they still have playoffs), but other US sports really go out of their way to avoid draws and I feel like whenever I see a proposal to do away with them in football, very often there's somebody arguing that there should always be a winner using American sports as their model.

just americanize it completey. no group stages. All knockouts with a wild card round for the lowest performers in the qualifiers since they're expanding from elite to any nation with a pulse (also super american trend)

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

just americanize it completey. no group stages. All knockouts with a wild card round for the lowest performers in the qualifiers since they're expanding from elite to any nation with a pulse (also super american trend)

The Final match should be a weeks-long best out of 19 series

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Only teams from the host nation's conference are invited

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Vegetable posted:

100% this, but not just smaller teams. Big teams would do it too.

Remember when they had the "golden goal" rule (ie next goal wins) for extra time, thinking that it would encourage more attacking play. Instead it did the exact opposite, as teams dug in and preferred to take their chance with penalties, rather than the risk of committing players forward and getting caught short on the counter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

So, the FA Cup :v:

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
How about we start each match with 11 rounds of penalties, that way each keeper is forced to take one. Result becomes the starting score.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's only one good way to do penalty shootouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWKO3fhLPc

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I've always liked how rugby gives a bonus point for scoring tries. Basically scoring 3 goals gives you a bonus point. Win or lose, you get a point for attacking and scoring 3 goals.

Then again, I like how only the captain can approach a referee and it's book able offense to swear at said person rather than having five people screaming abuse at the ref. Same goes for just stopping the clock when play stops instead of ''guessing'' how much extra time there is.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“only the captain can talk to the ref” is a great idea in theory but players are way more spread out in football. what if a striker accidentally elbows someone during a corner and his captain is the keeper, the keeper has to trudge all the way up the pitch to talk about it?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Never really understood why a keeper is a captain when they can be 50 metres away from play.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Because a captain's armband is ceremonial and teams usually have several leader-types on the pitch.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Tai posted:

I've always liked how rugby gives a bonus point for scoring tries. Basically scoring 3 goals gives you a bonus point. Win or lose, you get a point for attacking and scoring 3 goals.

Then again, I like how only the captain can approach a referee and it's book able offense to swear at said person rather than having five people screaming abuse at the ref. Same goes for just stopping the clock when play stops instead of ''guessing'' how much extra time there is.

Counterpoint: rugby union is for cunts.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Arbitrary points are incredibly stupid.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Mickolution posted:

Counterpoint: rugby union is for cunts.

True but it’s also extremely good and England are also bad and fail at it

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Arbitrary points are incredibly stupid.

It actually made Rugby a lot more of an attacking game instead of the constant fullback kicking game it got stuck in. Would it work for Football? No idea

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Tortilla Maker posted:

How about we start each match with 11 rounds of penalties, that way each keeper is forced to take one. Result becomes the starting score.

Start each knockout with a penalty shootout, so the knowledge of who will win if the game is tied after 120 minutes is there before they kick off. Top Bants tbh.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Football is already a perfectly adequate attacking game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also double elimination so the big name teams can’t be knocked out in a shock upset.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Repêchage. Everyone loves a repêchage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goatface posted:

Repêchage. Everyone loves a repêchage.

Ronaldo paid a lot of money to make those repe chages disappear

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Up pops a frowning Kathryn Mayorga

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

:eyepop:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

webmeister posted:

100% this, but not just smaller teams. Big teams would do it too.

Remember when they had the "golden goal" rule (ie next goal wins) for extra time, thinking that it would encourage more attacking play. Instead it did the exact opposite, as teams dug in and preferred to take their chance with penalties, rather than the risk of committing players forward and getting caught short on the counter.

Bring back overtime, but make extra time unlimited so they have to keep playing until someone scores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Edit: ignore