Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So I started watching Wednesday last night, and got about 3 episodes in before realizing that I was not enjoying myself at all, and that it's a pretty terrible show. It borrows pretty heavily from Mean Girls, Harry Potter, and the recent Sabrina the Teenage Witch, just without any of the charm or humor of any of them.

Wednesday suddenly having magic powers and incredible fighting skills isn't really in the spirit of the Addams Family at all. You'd think at least if she was going to a school for people like her, we'd see something like we saw in any of the party scenes in the Addams Family films where everybody else was some kind of weirdo or freak, but instead everybody here are just generic teenagers who the only thing weird about them is that they are a vampire, werewolf, or a siren. And Jenna Ortega has zero charisma as Wednesday.

And as bad as Tim Burton has gotten over the last 20 years, I at least expected some of his unique style that he at least still brings to everything, but its filmed and staged like a CW show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think some of the school weirdos are lifted from other Addams properties, like her friend the bee kid. My wife recognized him at least.

Wednesday being an unfeeling Mary sue in the first few episodes is kind of the point. She doesn’t know how to be flawed and it’s a major part of her growth as a character

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
At this point I'm just over Tim Burton. He's been doing the same poo poo for 20 years now, step out of your comfort zone dude.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I think some of the school weirdos are lifted from other Addams properties, like her friend the bee kid. My wife recognized him at least.

They could have leaned into how different she is like they did with Addams Family Values at the summer camp, or they could have leaned into everybody being weird, but they just kind of did neither. Everybody at her school are just normal teenagers who are also part time models who just happen to have magical blood. It felt like they couldn't figure out the tone of the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i do agree that having her be a kung fu expert on top of everything else is a bit much

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

i do agree that having her be a kung fu expert on top of everything else is a bit much

that made me lol. my immersion!!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I could see Wednesday being better if it wasn't for the "outcast school" setting there are just too many shows about magic schools and it all felt very forced and pointless here. Pretty much all non Wednesday characters were wasted. Except Thing though, he needs to get a spin off show.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is Wendy Wuxia or is the kungfu just a quirky character trait that isn't anything more than a joke?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Is Wendy Wuxia or is the kungfu just a quirky character trait that isn't anything more than a joke?

its used as a girlboss moment where she beats up some normie jocks. if this doesn't sound fun for you then you might want to skip

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not sure why Wednesday being good at fighting is out of character. She spent a chunk of the first movie recreating the duel from Hamlet with Pugsly.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

At this point I'm just over Tim Burton. He's been doing the same poo poo for 20 years now, step out of your comfort zone dude.

He stepped out to do something different for Big Eyes and it wasn't good or interesting so he slouched back into comfortable paycheck territory.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

The first two episodes of the new willow series are up on D+. It is very good and definitely has the same feel of the movie. They got a lot of the original cast back too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah if anything other than generally creepiness, kookiness, mysteriousness, spookiness, and altogether ookiness defines the Addamses, it's their martial prowess. I'd probably go more with swordsmanship or maybe like old-timey boxing, personally.

also my phone wanted that to be "marital prowess" and honestly that's not wrong either

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

badjohny posted:

The first two episodes of the new willow series are up on D+. It is very good and definitely has the same feel of the movie. They got a lot of the original cast back too.

Is Madmartigan dead, or simply hand-waved away?

(also not to be a dick but OG Willow is one of the movies that defines "80s PG" where guys get boiling oil poured on them or run through on camera. there just isn't any blood. I doubt the new show will go that hard...but I hope I'm wrong)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Finished The Patient with Steve Carrell the other night. Honestly, it just felt like an hour and a half movie stretched into a five hour TV show.

Currently watching The Midnight Club which is a mixed bag. Everything at the mansion with the kids is pretty good, but absolutely way too much time is devoted to their "spooky story" vignettes.

If you're looking for a light 30-minute show, my wife and I have been watching Making Fun on Netflix. Basically kids pitch invention ideas to a team of craftsmen who choose one to build each episode. Usually it ends up being some sort of dangerous monstrosity like a fire-breathing nutcracker with a hydraulic press for a jaw, or a pirate boat that shoots pizzas.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm not sure why Wednesday being good at fighting is out of character. She spent a chunk of the first movie recreating the duel from Hamlet with Pugsly.

They were doing stage fighting since it was for a play. Here, she has like masterful kung fu skills, easily fighting off 6 men without any effort.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Cinema Discusso › "What's Streaming?" 90 minute movie stretched into 8 episode hours

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is Madmartigan dead, or simply hand-waved away?

(also not to be a dick but OG Willow is one of the movies that defines "80s PG" where guys get boiling oil poured on them or run through on camera. there just isn't any blood. I doubt the new show will go that hard...but I hope I'm wrong)

Possibly huge spoiler I heard that Val Kilmer does appear but at the very end of the show.

I'm so loving stoked for new Willow, when D+ came out Willow was like the only thing I watched then was like welp I watched everything I wanted, unsubscribe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The review I read for the Willow show also called it a 90 minute movie stretched out to a series. It also said that it was made with the same sequel instincts as The Force Awakens and that it can never figure out if it wants to be a genuine sequel to Willow or an ironic embarrassed pastiche. It also compared the dialogue to Joss Whedon shows.

I was already one foot out the door because it was made by the Kasdan kid who made Solo so terrible, but now I'm staying far away until I hear something very different from that review.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheMopeSquad posted:

Possibly huge spoiler I heard that Val Kilmer does appear but at the very end of the show.

I'm so loving stoked for new Willow, when D+ came out Willow was like the only thing I watched then was like welp I watched everything I wanted, unsubscribe.

To expand on the spoiler with BTS stuff the showrunner has said that they absolutely did not want to make the series in a world where Madmartigan was dead so Kilmer was involved from the very start. But Covid ended up preventing Kilmer from flying to Wales so when it was safe they filmed some footage with him so he would be in the series and moved some of his story to season 2. He can't talk but an AI company built him a text to speech program trained with his audio samples that does a good replica.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Speaking of "stretched" I'm on the third episode of 1899 and I'm enjoying the production design and the vibe but godDAMN is this poo poo slower than molasses in January.

Also the new Willow doesn't have the guts to have Willow cast a spell that rips a Troll's skin off and turns it into a gooey brain, then turns that brain into a weird two-headed dragon-thing. Does it?!?!?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Speaking of "stretched" I'm on the third episode of 1899 and I'm enjoying the production design and the vibe but godDAMN is this poo poo slower than molasses in January.

Gonna tell you right now, mine and multiple other people's recommendation is to bail. The bottom half of the show seems like it's going to be something interesting and then becomes the most boiler plate trope, and the final scene literally made me laugh at how dumb it was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Medullah posted:

Gonna tell you right now, mine and multiple other people's recommendation is to bail. The bottom half of the show seems like it's going to be something interesting and then becomes the most boiler plate trope, and the final scene literally made me laugh at how dumb it was.

I think I've already figured this out. This is a computer simulation, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She just always seemed like the type to not get her hands dirty, it's a fairly minor point yeah. I mean it is cool. It's just not, you know, ice cold

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

badjohny posted:

Hard to imagine a faithful sequel to Willow without Phil Tippett.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you want spoilers yep. Credit to them, it's not something they saved for a late reveal, it's made fairly obvious around episode 4 or 5. But it just makes the rest of the story less interesting.

Bigger spoilers, for the end It turns out that it's not only a simulation, she's the programmer and it's the year like 2199 and they're on a space ship, with everyone in cryo sleep

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I don't think this is even figuring it out, they telegraph this very very very hard from early in the show.

It's a fun watch, I enjoyed it. But the very premise of the show makes the whole thing (sorta overall spoilers, not specific to any one thing that happens) feel very pointless. There's no weight to a big twist or story reveal when they outright say that nothing you see can be trusted as reality. It's also a lazy out for the writers, who could at any moment just decide that nothing we've seen so far was real.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm really digging the show Killing It on Peacock, with Craig Robinson and Claudia O'Doherty. Wasn't expecting it to be so explicitly about how the working poor are exploited here. It's kind of like a mix of Eastbound & Down with Nomadland. I guess it came out earlier this year, but I never heard much chatter about it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Killing It is great. It was renewed back in June, so we'll get more!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

isaboo posted:

Killing It is great. It was renewed back in June, so we'll get more!

Outstanding! I'm only 3 eps in but it's definitely hitting me in the right spots.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally getting around to watching Andor. Show is good as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Finally getting around to watching Andor. Show is good as hell.

Same and same

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Decided to finally watch the Willow movie in prep for the show

That was a dire mistake

God I hate Ron Howard

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Also the new Willow doesn't have the guts to have Willow cast a spell that rips a Troll's skin off and turns it into a gooey brain, then turns that brain into a weird two-headed dragon-thing. Does it?!?!?

Man that scene has been burned into my brain for decades

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Upsidads posted:

That was a dire mistake

God I hate Ron Howard

Watched the first two episodes last night. It's really just the most generic fantasy show I've seen in a while, even more than the awful Wheel of Time by Amazon.

Ron Howard is such milquetoast

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Upsidads posted:

That was a dire mistake

God I hate Ron Howard

It's pretty great if you're like 8 years old though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I still enjoy Willow for what it is, but a lot of it is nostalgia. Sorsha was one of young Medullah's big crushes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I probably should've said it's pretty great if you were 8(probably more like 5) years old when you saw it, because still love the movie too. But it's impossible to judge it objectively, it was such a big movie for me when I was a kid.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Labyrinth, on Netflix, is just as good as it was when you were 5 or 8, and maybe better now since you'll actually understand what it's about.

I had to buy a Blu ray of Legend, and it is maybe not as good as you remember. So much dubbing, those sets must have been deafeningly loud. Maybe the actors all had terrible lisps. The Meg swamp monster part was still good. Meg is played by *** Robert Picardo *** what on Earth

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty great if you're like 8 years old though.

yeah i am absolutely not gonna revisit it and ruin my childhood lmao