Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

GABA ghoul posted:

From what I understand, experts believe that the next step will be self-driving semitrucks doing long distance trips on highways between highway rest stops. The technology is ready for this, it's likely profitable and there is a huge driver shortage that is only going to get worse. We will probably see this happening by 2030 already. Private autonomous cars zooming around busy street traffic? Yeah, lol, that's still just a pipe dream.

Also, the self-driving trucks will of course use a real real sensor package including lidar. Doing self-driving with a couple of lovely off the shelf cameras like Tesla is trying is not gonna ever happen.

There's a driver shortage? 10 years ago experts were predicting there would be no drivers by now (self driving cars ofc). I remember because I saw one of those lists with a bunch of jobs that were going to disappear with AI (lawyers were in there too)

("Concept artist" was not on the list, and that job seems... in trouble)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there an explainer for this because I went through like 6 pages of this thread and I still don't know what is going on with Twitter and Apple.

There seem to be three things Musk is pissed about :

a) Apple pulled their advertising from Twitter
b) Musk doesn't want to have to pay the 30% app store rate on in-app purchases
c) Musk says Apple has privately signaled they are concerned about the total lack of moderation on Twitter and return of a lot of bad actors, and may end up having to pull it from the App store if things get too bad.

In response, Musk went on a rant claiming that Apple hates freedom and will be responsible for the downfall of the western world. That sounds like I'm being hyperbolic but I'm not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597405399040217088?t=EyInIUu8r43owF2X6T5NcA&s=19

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I think it's more like he's hoping his republican buddies will actually do something to hurt apple.

Oh for sure! That was implied.

But if he was wise about this, he'd be trying to get the EU's support instead of relying on the chuds.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There's a driver shortage? 10 years ago experts were predicting there would be no drivers by now (self driving cars ofc). I remember because I saw one of those lists with a bunch of jobs that were going to disappear with AI (lawyers were in there too)

("Concept artist" was not on the list, and that job seems... in trouble)

Yeah, massive shortages across most of Europe. Britain had lots of drama because of it last year with shops being empty and the military having to drive tankers from the refineries to gas stations to keep the gas supply going

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1597995127946891265
Freedom of speech seems to be going terrific. Good job Elon, you're doing great. Weird that advertisers are bailing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aramis posted:

Oh for sure! That was implied.

But if he was wise about this, he'd be trying to get the EU's support instead of relying on the chuds.

That's probably a lost cause, the EU has no love lost for Apple's malarkey but everything he's done at Twitter is way worse and will have to be addressed by them soon anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Trucks doing the long haul alone and then being harbour piloted into town amuses me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GABA ghoul posted:

From what I understand, experts believe that the next step will be self-driving semitrucks doing long distance trips on highways between highway rest stops. The technology is ready for this, it's likely profitable and there is a huge driver shortage that is only going to get worse. We will probably see this happening by 2030 already. Private autonomous cars zooming around busy street traffic? Yeah, lol, that's still just a pipe dream.

Also, the self-driving trucks will of course use a real real sensor package including lidar. Doing self-driving with a couple of lovely off the shelf cameras like Tesla is trying is not gonna ever happen.

I wonder if that will deal with the two biggest complaints of current truck drivers. Most contracts don't charge the company that is shipping for being late, so drivers complain they regular spend hours unpaid waiting for the cargo they were supposed to get at 2pm, as it says on the contract. Likewise, there is no penalty for the cargo owner to provide enough space to move the cargo onto the truck, so the other big complaint from truck drivers is showing up and discovering there's no parking for an 18-wheeler, and being forced to spend time waiting, unpaid, for a spot to open up.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Apple's doing it right by just ignoring this bullshit. Right wing media 101 is to provoke you into a dumb argument then twist your words into their narrative, and if you're just quiet they look like flailing idiots til they move to the next outrage.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Saw a dude wearing a Tesla Jacket in the mall today and realized I got the same vibe off of it and as if the guy were wearing a MAGA hat. I wonder how long before I come to register it as a hate symbol in my brain the way things are going.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just the idea of having a little trucker compound at the edge of town nicely linked into the big, wide roads. Where they pick up a truck and take it to an urban destination, or drop off a truck and let it head off on its way. They could have little scooters to get to and from jobs that fold up to go with them.

It would be so cute. I don't know why.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I remember the model S being a decent, if pricey, luxury sedan that was all-electric to boot, and wishing I had the kind of disposable income to afford one. The wheels only truly came off Tesla with the model 3 for me.

Jokes on them, I'm going to drive my 2015 Volt until it dies on me. I don't think GM ever realized how insanely good of a car they had on their hands. Especially at the time.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

netflix is part of FAANG and does some magical poo poo to make sure a lovely phone in a semidead zone can get HD 0s and 1s. with barely any shuttering. Spotify and other major music apps all do great 0s and1 stuff.

given how bird was never part of FAANG before and its currently occasional chugging just to show mostly text posts. lol

also reminder that musky probably begged the polytop game devs to put their game on Teslas because he was probably addicted to it at the time and that the cars bald the tires because you need to turn the steering wheel to move through menus.

I can't find the tweets now but there were a handful of indie game outfits who confirmed Musk tried to license their games with payment being exposure.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aramis posted:

I remember the model S being a decent, if pricey, luxury sedan that was all-electric to boot, and wishing I had the kind of disposable income to afford one. The wheels only truly came off Tesla with the model 3 for me.

Jokes on them, I'm going to drive my 2015 Volt until it dies on me. I don't think GM ever realized how insanely good of a car they had on their hands. Especially at the time.

I think the only reason to buy a Tesla is if you want an electric vehicle that Goes Fast and doesn't necessarily cost 6 figures. Thats basically it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A farting mink posted:

Billy Corgan is also a Transphobe? More ammo for my friend who still likes the band.

Not Bobby Corwen!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm no businessman, but why don't companies just increase their prices 30% in the App Store? Like "if you buy on our website, you save 30%, but if you wanna pay now, go for it (5 more bux)"

you can, but apple says you aren't allowed to tell customers inside the app that prices are lower elsewhere.

also any time you give your customers a chance to think again about buying a thing, some of them are gonna think twice and not spend money. for a lot of mobile apps that rely on impulse purchases you probably lose more than 30% from that effect. the upside to paying the apple tax is that apple makes it really smooth and easy for people to spend money.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 30, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I worked for a body shop that "fixed" teslas..
If u get into a wreck with your tesla be prepared to be without it for months. Parts are extremely difficult to source from them. They are stingy about what parts they will even sell. They do not have a phone number to call everything is "steemlined" through a bullshit website. It does not give u any eta for parts arriving. Half the time they had to buy sketchy used parts from across the world. Once we installed a used module for the cruise control that also controls the self drive feature. Got it from like Bulgaria or something.

gently caress tesla.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Preoptopus posted:

If u get into a wreck with your tesla be prepared to be without it for months. Parts are extremely difficult to source from them. They are stingy about what parts they will even sell. They do not have a phone number to call everything is "steemlined" through a bullshit website. It does not give u any eta for parts arriving. Half the time they had to buy sketchy used parts from across the world. Once we installed a used module for the cruise control that also controls the self drive feature. Got it from like Bulgaria or something.

gently caress tesla.

Ah yes. The only thing that could possibly make automatic murder mode better: off brand hardware involved in automatic murder mode making the court cases around the murder(s) even more fun because "well it's not technically Tesla fsd anymore because this part is aftermarket".

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Dessel posted:

You could read this with Trump's voice and it would fit his failing mental faculties perfectly. Like what the gently caress is that veer off to Pelosi supposed to even be about?

The spark of that thread was in regards to Elon spreading the rumor about Paul Pelosi’s attacker being his gay lover. Still stupid, though. I doubt she “knows” Nancy Pelosi.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

You let true-believers of your cult volunteer to moderate Twitter for free.

Nah, that still too sane. I'm guessing Musk will start charging a fee to become a Twitter moderator. Pay your $20 bux (or whatever) a month and now you will have control over what gets censored and what is allowed. Vox popeye Vox day, or something.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Aramis posted:

I recently got a good deal on a boring as poo poo used Nissan Leaf 2018. It's the second vehicle in my household and I anticipate having it for a decade. Probably could have waited a little longer for the Bolt EUV prices to come down further.

All the major car companies with the exception of Toyota and Honda have great luxury EV options. Once they all sell a Bolt class vehicle in price I don't know how Tesla competes. That Toyota and Honda don't sell a full range of plug in hybrids, will always be a head scratcher.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Someone needs to tell Ian Miles Cheong that Elon is not going to gently caress him but honestly, I have no idea what's going to happen this timeline so there might actually be a chance Elon does gently caress Ian

At this point it would be an anticlimax.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MikeJF posted:

There seem to be three things Musk is pissed about :

a) Apple pulled their advertising from Twitter
b) Musk doesn't want to have to pay the 30% app store rate on in-app purchases
c) Musk says Apple has privately signaled they are concerned about the total lack of moderation on Twitter and return of a lot of bad actors, and may end up having to pull it from the App store if things get too bad.

In response, Musk went on a rant claiming that Apple hates freedom and will be responsible for the downfall of the western world. That sounds like I'm being hyperbolic but I'm not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597405399040217088?t=EyInIUu8r43owF2X6T5NcA&s=19

"I'm not getting my way?!"

"THIS IS THE END OF CIVILIZATION!!"

true chud all the way down

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress tesla.

For comparison sake, it was easier for the shop I worked at in 2015 to source parts and body panels for loving Saabs, which had not been made in years and had their parts catalog/inventory sold to Caterpillar (the heavy equipment company, not the larval stage for butterflies). I had to call a heavy equipment dealer 3 hours away and only had someone at the desk for half the day, but we could at least source some parts and get ETA/availability notes with delivery tracking as needed.
I used to tell customers with Saabs after we fixed them that if they weren't "enthusiasts" that it would make more financial sense to sell it asap, as the day you can't get part X any more is coming soon. Not surprised to hear Tesla is running their parts department worse than a bankrupt, out of business car maker.

waffle iron posted:

All the major car companies with the exception of Toyota and Honda have great luxury EV options. Once they all sell a Bolt class vehicle in price I don't know how Tesla competes. That Toyota and Honda don't sell a full range of plug in hybrids, will always be a head scratcher.

Honda has put a lot of R&D time in to making existing ICEs fuel efficient. They sold cars 30 years ago that could get 50+ mpg and had models that could do similar for over a decade. They also invested in hydrogen fuel tech over a decade ago, when the prius was the only commonly seen hybrid car on the road. So, its a non-insignificant shift in engineering resources for them.
Can't explain Toyota to you as they are constantly doing everything they can to sell the mostly bland vehicles possible.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 30, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1597995127946891265
Freedom of speech seems to be going terrific. Good job Elon, you're doing great. Weird that advertisers are bailing

Good luck proving that dipshits

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I can't find the tweets now but there were a handful of indie game outfits who confirmed Musk tried to license their games with payment being exposure.

wonder what other games Musky plays himself and not just watch and bark orders at Enrique and make stupid dark soul builds.

also imagine a giga dollar man calling your indie studio begging and saying how he loves your game. (oh and imagine the Tesla manchild buffer where a lawyer and some interns had to pretend to be fired for a week because they failed getting Musky games or wouldnt just pirate them)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1598014468172152841

do it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

wonder what other games Musky plays himself and not just watch and bark orders at Enrique and make stupid dark soul builds.

also imagine a giga dollar man calling your indie studio begging and saying how he loves your game. (oh and imagine the Tesla manchild buffer where a lawyer and some interns had to pretend to be fired for a week because they failed getting Musky games or wouldnt just pirate them)

He plays Elden Ring (Very) Badly: a lot of his old tweets when that came out were about garbage gimmick builds

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TulliusCicero posted:

Good luck proving that dipshits
They won't even try because they're all talk, but if they do, the anti-SLAPP motions will be absolutely hilarious and they'll end up paying the legal fees of both sides.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MrQwerty posted:

I've driven 2 Elantras and a Veloster for a while and I've always been impressed with Hyundais and the Kias people I know have owned, and I've heard good stuff about their EVs. One of the Hyundai Auto Group manufacturers was probably gonna be my first pick to check out when we finally bite the bullet on an EV anyway.

Kia drivers are the second most dangerous people on the road behind only the Great Horde known as Nissan drivers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the job of the one moderator left just got way harder

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

Breton told Musk he must adhere to a checklist of rules, including ditching an “arbitrary” approach to reinstating banned users, pursuing disinformation “aggressively” and agreeing to an “extensive independent audit” of the platform by next year.
yeah elmo ain't doing that poo poo. Guess we'll see how far the political blustering goes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Kia drivers are the second most dangerous people on the road behind only the Great Horde known as Nissan drivers.

nah I'd say corolla/camry drivers are still the kings of lovely drivers

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

What precisely would happen to an app or web site "banned" by the EU. I do assume they have something in mind, but what?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
guys, im not saying i WANT to say the N word, but FREE SPEECH should let me say it if i want to!!!!!

our future is at steak

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
*finger hovers over the N key*

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
fake luxury car owners are the worst. Audi, infinit, lexus, 3 series, c series owners

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Rigel posted:

What precisely would happen to an app or web site "banned" by the EU. I do assume they have something in mind, but what?

Presumably the EU would tell Google and Apple to delist the app for people located in the EU. Don't think the EU can do to stop the web site from being accessible.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

See, Apple doesn’t have to do poo poo!

I’m not even sure Twitter remains functional through the audit though. At this point it’s just a matter of which wolf gets to eat the carcass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lol that's the stuff. :elongate:

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 30, 2022