Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

СОЛДАТСКАЯ ПРАВДА posted:

Somewhere near Svatovo
(from t.me/soldiers_truth/7736, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If 100k Ukrainian officers have been killed, how many enlisted/drafted

This makes perfect sense because the afu are an elite force with only officer grade troops, no miserable sergeants or squaddies to speak of.

Meanwhile the Russians have 149,999 enlisted and one general grade war chief.

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I guess they have to put something out there at some point or they let the Russians control the narrative. I think it is reasonable to assume the real number is higher but the Ukrainian government has pulled in conscripts and militia to make up the difference.

Not the narrative!!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Russia doesn't need to accept it, but with all the political games Kremlin is playing it doesn't seem like an unreasonable gamble from Ukrainian side.

And like I mentioned the article uses the example of Medvedchuk as this kind of scheme already being caried out.

yeah, it makes sense that they'd try it out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lets be generous and include non comissioned officers into the 100k count. That would be like 1m dead with a 10\1 ratio

Sounds insane and the lady was probably confused. Even casualties would be an insane number

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hatebag posted:

https://www.imf.org/external/np/fin/tad/balmov2.aspx?type=TOTAL
If I'm reading this right, the total imf outstanding credit is only $108 billion, so a trillion seems like a big ask. Looks like the us disburses between $30 and $50 billion per year as grants as well

I'm guessing they arrived at the 1 trillion figure by doubling Russia's foreign currency reserves.

V. Illych L. posted:

the LDR must be *reeling*, proportionally. this topic is a huge bummer

The DPR's death figures are the only ones I think are accurate and last I looked were a little under 4000.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

FF could you post pictures of the Soviet combat engineer in floats and a paddle. My friend keeps sending me pics of ski troops and I need to show him a better world.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Whats the Rosgvardiya Navy doing so far inland?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia being able to provide its own armaments while Ukraine is now totally dependant on outside actors is not a point in Ukraine’s favour. Not only in terms of the logistics, but because it’s contingent on foreign politics. Russia can provide as much arms as it wants, which may or may not be as much as it needs, while Ukraine has had its ambitions thwarted several times as MiGs, Patriots and other systems are withheld.

This doesn’t translate directly into a military advantage as Russia has its own internal politics to contend with, but 5.45 flows from Russian factories, 5.56 depends on the voters of Western Europe (notionally).

indeed, its not a net positive long term for Ukraine to be dependent on foreign aid, but in the short term, they have been given tons of material while Russia has been pushed back. That was my point that while Russia could win this, it will take a horrific war now.

The normal logistics problems multiple ammo types presents is still there, but that ammo is not being restricted, yet, and for now its benefiting Ukraine.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
She meant "soldiers" and cut that line because it was realized it looks bad to reveal Russia is waging war on the ukrainian military instead of killing a million civilians like the US does any time it goes to war

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Weka posted:

I'm guessing they arrived at the 1 trillion figure by doubling Russia's foreign currency reserves.

The DPR's death figures are the only ones I think are accurate and last I looked were a little under 4000.

maybe they meant one trillion UHD? that’s like $25b USD although seems low

Weka
May 5, 2019

Based on past requests I think he meant dollars.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ughhhh posted:

FF could you post pictures of the Soviet combat engineer in floats and a paddle. My friend keeps sending me pics of ski troops and I need to show him a better world.

I keep deleting photos on my phone because it fills up with images and scanned pages, so I don’t have any on hand. The gear was called either PBC or PKT swimming gear. There are some pictures here.

There’s English language information available but for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to have a consistent nomenclature:

“Individual floating craft of the Red Army - swimming suits PKT and MPK. In the period 1941-1945. Soviet industry produced more than 48,000 swimming suits.”

So it may be called PBC, PKT or MPK, and is called variously a suit or a craft. Usually found along with other amphibious engineering equipment in English reference books.

Osprey WW2 River Crossing Tactics

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Nov 30, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

This makes perfect sense because the afu are an elite force with only officer grade troops, no miserable sergeants or squaddies to speak of.

Meanwhile the Russians have 149,999 enlisted and one general grade war chief.

Not the narrative!!

You don’t think the West about narratives?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If the Ukrainian Army resembles the late-Soviet Army, particularly with so much reliance on conscripts, they would have a different Officers : Other Ranks ratio. I forget which way it skewed off the top of my head, but the duration of enlistments meant they didn’t have long service professional NCOs. I think, and I may have it backwards, they had junior officers in subordinate positions that are filled here with Warrants, Sergeants and senior Corporals. Something about officer mandatory service periods being longer or something.

Again, Ukraine’s personnel system is a black box, but it’s possible they’re using Soviet style ranks and positions like a Junior Lieutenant section commander. That would mean higher officer casualties than we’re used to, but not to an extreme degree.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Vomik posted:

maybe they meant one trillion UHD? that’s like $25b USD although seems low

$25b is basically their monthly budget at this point. $1 trillion sounds accurate for how much damage has been done but food luck getting it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

You don’t think the West about narratives?

I think people on the internet care about narratives, 'the west' can make up whatever bullshit it likes and the public gobble it up no matter how stupid or senseless it is.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:hmmyes:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
ive always wanted to go float tube fishing, they look very fun

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd assume she were using Casualties for KIA, because that's what the average person is going to interpret casualties as, and in that case you can use the smaller KIA number instead of the larger KIA/Wounded/Captured/Missing figure.

The officers bit was obviously a mistake, unless it's very easy to climb rank in Ukraine.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If there's this much confusion over what she meant that is probably the reason it was cut.

(I personally think she meant 100k military personnel in total casualties, which at this point is probably close to accurate).

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1598043446023012353?s=20&t=fsIdPwJkVkMe-gksvhXMow

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe that 100k Ukrainian officers were killed .

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
OK can we please start a new war or something... no one at work even wants to talk about Ukraine anymore. Its like they dont even care.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You are the only troop I appreciate

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the soviet tube wearing engineers could have used a rubber duck.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

iCe-CuBe. posted:

OK can we please start a new war or something... no one at work even wants to talk about Ukraine anymore. Its like they dont even care.

Ми забули...:smith:

Tankbuster posted:

the soviet tube wearing engineers could have used a rubber duck.

MIsread "duck."

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

I believe that 100k Ukrainian officers were killed .

one million high ranking UA officers have been destroyed

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia being able to provide its own armaments while Ukraine is now totally dependant on outside actors is not a point in Ukraine’s favour. Not only in terms of the logistics, but because it’s contingent on foreign politics. Russia can provide as much arms as it wants, which may or may not be as much as it needs, while Ukraine has had its ambitions thwarted several times as MiGs, Patriots and other systems are withheld.

This doesn’t translate directly into a military advantage as Russia has its own internal politics to contend with, but 5.45 flows from Russian factories, 5.56 depends on the voters of Western Europe (notionally).

It's not a point in Ukraine's favor...but it is probably better than Ukraine being dependent on domestic production that is 100% vulnerable to strategic bombardment

Also, there are certain "advantages" to war production being externalized to countries that don't give a poo poo about the place where the war is being fought, if the goal is to sustain attritional war as long as possible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1597865047518515201

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

being stupid and credulous seems fun and bad rear end, plus you get a lot of retweets

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yes, finally poland gets it's own poland to look down upon

Weka
May 5, 2019

I don't think von der Leyen knows how many Ukrainian troops have died, I think she's referring to the recent reporting in the media.

The Poland Ukrainian Union, or PUU. Pronounced...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think it's really cool that we're getting these updates from the parallel universe where this would be possible. We truly live in the future.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That seems perfectly designed to piss Lithuania off but when has that ever worked out badly

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1597350173134331906

I was looking for lovely opinions, but I assume her being a Musk fangirl is the most damming thing I could possibly find.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

V. Illych L. posted:

the LDR must be *reeling*, proportionally. this topic is a huge bummer

According to one pro-Western NGO (Eastern Human Rights Defense), L/DNR had 30k KiA by August 2022 (https://meduza.io/feature/2022/07/06/zhizn-zdes-katitsya-v-hrenovuyu-storonu). Doesn't seem to unbelievable, honestly. L/DNR conscripts have been facing awful conditions, lack of training and often are left on their own. L/DNR will likely be even more severely depopulated for decades to come after this has ended

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I think people on the internet care about narratives, 'the west' can make up whatever bullshit it likes and the public gobble it up no matter how stupid or senseless it is.

They prefer a good one, the capture of Kherson knocked out election news.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sube posted:

According to one pro-Western NGO (Eastern Human Rights Defense)

ah complete bullshit then gotcha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sube posted:

According to one pro-Western NGO (Eastern Human Rights Defense), L/DNR had 30k KiA by August 2022 (https://meduza.io/feature/2022/07/06/zhizn-zdes-katitsya-v-hrenovuyu-storonu). Doesn't seem to unbelievable, honestly. L/DNR conscripts have been facing awful conditions, lack of training and often are left on their own. L/DNR will likely be even more severely depopulated for decades to come after this has ended

What I don’t get is - the point of the militias was deniability in the Hybrid Warfare phase, then legal clauses of the SMO and keeping the Russian public happy in the conventional phase. Alright, makes sense. Having said that, now that there’s no doubt they’re being armed and supported by Russia, the hybrid fig leaf is gone, why not arm and equip them as regular units?

Previously, there had to be at least the possibility they were rag tag everyday citizens who had taken their arms and equipment from Ukrainian stores. Again, that made sense given the political and diplomatic angle. Now, though, it would be as or more politically beneficial to give them late-model T-72s, bring their units up to strength where BMPs and BTRs are concerned, fill out their support units including sappers and artillery etc.

There’s no reason not to properly kit them out, as far as I can see, other than they can’t be taken out of the line for R&R until Russian regulars show up in greater numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

sube posted:

Could you quote the part that says that? I'm having trouble finding it.