Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1597591831017132033
https://twitter.com/astro_nuttt/status/1597593544440836098
https://twitter.com/mexicanpsych0/status/1597603035856965632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I think you mean 3 citizens to 1 NPC, or are you a dirty refudian?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Can't wait for the 1984 style "we have always aimed for a 3-to-1 NPCs-to-players ratio"

haha yeah. who controls the past controls the future. who controls the present controls the past.
even worse that 10 to 1 npc/player ratio was always used as an explanation why players dont have much influence on economy and the whole background simulation.
cig was always very careful to make clear that they aim for a highly complex universe simulation. alas, players will not be able to influence anything because trillions of lifelike npcs will run the show.

now we are down to a 3 to 1 ratio plus we learned that neither quantas (planet populations) nor crewmates will be visible. they are of course absolutely there but you cant see them. a good amount of doublethink is necessary to swallow this bullshit for sure.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

BumbleOne posted:

now we are down to a 3 to 1 ratio plus we learned that neither quantas (planet populations) nor crewmates will be visible. they are of course absolutely there but you cant see them. a good amount of doublethink is necessary to swallow this bullshit for sure.

Oh, that's easy. The Lore Team can explain that quantas and crewmates simply don't like spending time around Citizens and tend to avoid them. Most of the backers are familiar with that already, I bet.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff posted:

I'll tell you the problem with the server meshing power that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you failed to take the next step. You didn't learn any knowledge for yourself, so you absolve yourself of any responsibility for it. You attempted to stand on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew that you failed, you patented it and packaged it and slapped it in a jpeg, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!

No, I'm simply saying that money pledged, uh... goes directly to the game's development.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Know what would be cool? If they had some cool space fights and stuff in their space game about spaceships fighting in space and doing things.

But I guess showing off what clothes you bought for your avatar is like just as good as gameplay.

In weird backwards land or something.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bofast posted:

Can't wait for the 1984 style "we have always aimed for a 3-to-1 NPCs-to-players ratio"

Don't forget that some jpeg ship sales are limited in number to maintain a balance in the economy so not everyone is flying around in an Iris to start with.

Imao

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

When was the last time CIG talked about using a flight stick and throttles to play the game?

I don't want to cancel my order for my RSI branded flight stick and keyboard.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Meanwhile in a much inferior space sim that doesn't have even one percent of the features Star Citizen has/will have/might have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0XheOWqLY&ab_channel=ObsidianAnt

Some stuff happened or something, yeah yeah I know, it doesn't hold a candle to the CIG devs carefully and nervously curating a Jumptown event, or Theatres of War, or the immersion of a hot tub silk sheet two wine glasses space yacht.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
The Agent has been proven right often, and he's consistently reported on a S42 prelude for years.

The Squelude rings true for me.

Assuming it is real, does Chris expect everyone to buy the Prelude? Is that the newest wrinkle in this scam?

Some people have access to S42 (the first game). Some people have access to S42 "mission disks" (pretty sure CIG forgot this was something they sold as part of the early sucker experience).

I would not put it past Chris to charge S42 purchasers again to play the Prelude.

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 30, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Lookin forward to playing squadron 404: the prelude: the precum squirt: the introduction of intros: the beginning: the start: the first: the tier 0 of tier 0...

For $69 ... because even a YouTube video of a river cig is making has more gameplay than 200 AAA games.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Went around the world and returned home. Is this game out yet?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

World went around the Sun ten times and the game is not out yet.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
There's a new video making GBS threads on CIG, and it's just a compilation of how many times they've bullshitted their way around modularity without delivering anything from 2014 onwards.

It's actual clips of CR and CIG employes talking, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkDdMwEuj8

It even reached Spectrum and got a ton of negative emoji reactions from angry backers, the fun fact is that most stopped there as good luck trying to post in the comments to spin it in a positive way.

A famous white knight still tried tho.

The rest aren't happy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MarvelousAjarBetafish-mobile.mp4

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Vanduul invasion and Operation Pitch Fork going well I see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft-73-rQ4lA

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 30, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

There's a new video making GBS threads on CIG, and it's just a compilation of how many times they've bullshitted their way around modularity without delivering anything from 2014 onwards.

It's actual clips of CR and CIG employes talking, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkDdMwEuj8

It even reached Spectrum and got a ton of negative emoji reactions from angry backers, the fun fact is that most stopped there as good luck trying to post in the comments to spin it in a positive way.

A famous white knight still tried tho.

The rest aren't happy.

This is a pro watch. And this is just one, tiny, slice of the bullshit these clowns and shills have spouted for over a decade

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Update on the modularity video thread!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Most upvoted (by a large margin) recent threads on Spectrum are 'concern' threads criticizing CIG. Majority of them is closed by mods.

:lol:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Most upvoted (by a large margin) recent threads on Spectrum are 'concern' threads criticizing CIG. Majority of them is closed by mods.

:lol:

Look, it's not CIG's fault if there's several threads showing all the ways they've lied and people aren't polite enough to provide "feedback and critique" to aid devlopment.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

IAbsolveMyself posted:

The Agent has been proven right often, and he's consistently reported on a S42 prelude for years.

The Squelude rings true for me.

Assuming it is real, does Chris expect everyone to buy the Prelude? Is that the newest wrinkle in this scam?

Some people have access to S42 (the first game). Some people have access to S42 "mission disks" (pretty sure CIG forgot this was something they sold as part of the early sucker experience).

I would not put it past Chris to charge S42 purchasers again to play the Prelude.

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death.

No they expect the people who already payed for the single player game to accept the prelude as the single player experience that they payed for. This way they can charge 60$ for the real SQ54.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

SC is "visually and technologically impressive" and has a "really detailed fight model that only Kerbal has accomplished". :psyduck:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 30, 2022

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
When you stare into the abyss you learn to stretch the truth like CIG.

Or is it a different Kerbal they're referring to?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
If you provide a simple compilation of videos from CIG showing their lack of delivery, you are a dirty fudster who didn't provide any helpful critique to the project.

If you provide a simple compilation of videos from CIG showing their lack of delivery plus helpful critique like "deliver your old ships before selling new ones", you are a dirty fudster who should be shut down.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

JugbandDude posted:

If you provide a simple compilation of videos from CIG showing their lack of delivery, you are a dirty fudster who didn't provide any helpful critique to the project.

If you provide a simple compilation of videos from CIG showing their lack of delivery plus helpful critique like "deliver your old ships before selling new ones", you are a dirty fudster who should be shut down.

Can't be disturbing the backers' faith in the project, remember - everything's on the up and up in Star Citizen land, there is only good news and screenshots of heroic commandos standing on top of hills looking menacingly into the sunset (of a non-orbiting star but anyway).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

My optimistic prediction: All the perma-negative types will finally shut their cake-holes and go play Barbie Horse Adventures In Space (Or Starfield).

My least optimistic prediction: They won't and we'll have to put up with the banal trolling until the end of days.

Well you asked!

quote:

Star Citizen has always been planned to continue development long after a MVP product release. The whole point of going the crowdfunding route was so that limits weren't put on the development.

Most developers do iterative releases of new games rather than continually improve and expand an existing game - though to an extent this ethos is changing - look at what they did with the Hitman franchise. This has a disadvantage, if a new iteration doesn't sell well then there is less money for development of the next iteration, and the next and the next. This is what happened to Elite Dangerous Odyssey, the uptake wasn't enough to expand the project as a whole and player numbers actually fell lower than pre-Odyssey levels after an initial rise.

There are 3 episodes of Squadron 42 planned but the franchise doesn't have to stop there, there are more stories to be told if they wish. They can even branch out to other media such as streaming video service for in-lore story videos. Chris Roberts has not been building a game he has been building a company capable of sustaining a franchise for decades just like Star Wars or Star Trek - that was always the aim.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe not until the end of days, but probably until we all die, since SC will not get anywhere in our lifetime.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
"tophat monocle cat in a spaceship"

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
What is this Barbie Horse Adventures in Space and where do I sign up?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sandepande posted:

Game pass day one.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sandepande posted:

A comment from a backer, made in passing and intended to be disparaging, is automatically more interesting and evokes more mental images than a cocaine bear's best efforts over a full decade.

I will play this game.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

My wife and girl are addicted to Dreamlight Valley that, despite many bugs and random crashing, is a million times more interesting than Store Citizer.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Pretty rich that even his insults are utterly derivative of those of other game communities. Very reminiscent of early Eve Online's "Go play hello kitty online" discourse. Cat weirdo is the community member a "project" like star citizen deserves.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

JugbandDude posted:

My wife and girl are addicted to Dreamlight Valley that, despite many bugs and random crashing, is a million times more interesting than Store Citizer.

Yeah, because the Dreamlight Valley team considered what would be fun vs what would be tedious for players (they handle farming, inventory, and poo poo like that way better than Animal Crossing and similar games).

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Foolish monocle cat, we can play Barbie Space Horse Adventures and troll you at the same time

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I like this dudes channel so far;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1qj4ij6WWM

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

He's just missing the Mcdonald's insults

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I'll be playing Starfield, a (likely) good, finished, buggy game.

I'll not be playing Star Citizen, a (confirmed) bad, entropy-defying, perpetually unfinished, buggy tech demo grift.

To expand on this thought, here is a list of early access games I gave money to in 2012-2015. In no particular order:

-H1Z1(~$25) Hundreds of hours of buggy multiplayer survival/raiding, and the first commercial entry in the BR genre. Sony Online Entertainment (aka daybreak games) ran it into the ground, but it's $25 that was spent on a ton of entertainment*, fun with friends, and memories. Dead now, had 1-2 good* years.

-Ark: Survival Evolved (~$50 + ~$50 buying expansions on steam sale) Almost 1800 hours, split between playing on official servers, monthly wipe servers, and hosting a community server that I've broadcasted 57 episodes of content from. Still haven't completed all the in-game content, but I can tell I'm close. Also have played and run various mods to improve the game experience*. Even after you factor in a couple years of server hosting, this one has earned me a little money after some streaming revenue. Ark still going strong now, particularly the private server communities*. Ark 2 soon (?)

-Rust (~$30) Under 1200 hours, I feel like I could play another 9000. I haven't touched this game in a few months, and it seems like a whole new game, with everything they have added just since then. Facepunch studios provides a perfect example of how to develop a game from early access into a full-featured live service (no subscription, just cosmetic skin sales) game that receives regular updates. There are so many new features on a regular basis, I take the time to read up on what's new every once in awhile so that when I go back I won't be a total noob again. 11/10, this is exactly how to take a game studio from zero to hero. If you can't find your flavour of server, you can even host your own, with mods and whatever settings you like! See: Medeival, Zombie, PvE, Helicopter, 1-grid, gungame, etc. etc. servers*. This game could last another decade with this model, easily. They don't seem capable of running out of new, good ideas, and they implement them in smart ways that fit into the current game*.

-Evochron (~$50) I played enough of this to learn the systems and find it wasn't my cup of tea, but still very impressive. Full-fidelity planetary landings, near-newtonian flight, and neat, modular upgrade systems, all cobbled together by some solo grognard. By the time I figured out how to play it and found some fun*, I probably got a solid 20 hours out of it.

-Elite: Dangerous (~$50 + ~$40 Horizons Expansion) I haven't purchased Odyssey, and haven't decided if I even will, but I have "only" 350 hours in Elite. I have done mining, combat, poop-smithing (sothis, eyyyy), and planetary off-roading. Every part was immersive, reasonably well-designed, and downright FELT like a space sim. It's untangible, but there is something really cool they've accomplished here. Even if it isn't the most riveting experience at all times, and even when the procedural generation wears thin; it's a solid, well-designed, immersive entry that will be one day seen as a defining point in space sims.

-Star Citizen (~$50) There is nothing to say about the game, so I'll talk about the enjoyment I received relating to the game. At first, I was very excited for a space game with a full damage model, so I gave them my ~$50. Then I was excited to find that goons were really, really into this game, and I dreamed of fleet ops. Then I saw what a fleet op looked like in the current (2015) state of the game, and went "nope, check back later". Since then, the only value I have received from CI~G has been from the laughter I get checking my email to read another grift attempt newsletter. The threads here have provided hundreds of hours of entertainment to the dollar. But that $50 never got me a drat thing, other than the grief of uninstalling what is effectively malware from my system.

gently caress this game so hard, and gently caress CI~G for creating and grooming this truly messed-up findom relationship. If you read this whole thing, you know what you have to do now. Buy an Idris, buy five! It's the only way to encourage these grifters to keep going. If you stop paying, it's your fault the game never came out. That $500,000,000 was all wasted because of you, filthy FUDder.

edit: I forgot Mechwarrior Online, which I backed for ~$25 and gave another ~$25 to later. 700 hours of good times, and gaming with goons.

* = features you will never, ever see come to Star Citizen

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 30, 2022

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
Im predicting that "Barbie Horse Space Adventure" is going to start the demise of the whole Star Citizen poo poo show. Solo type players will lead the way.

CIG will release Pyro around StarFields release, to try an mitigate the impact.

Pyro will just highlight more of the problems, example bed logging, always been buggy, currently removed, will supposedly get "fixed" for the umpteenth time, and wont be.

Lol, Citizens will log out in Pyro and respawn in Stanton, probably with no head or mobiglas.

Time will Tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Bushboy2000 posted:

Lol, Citizens will log out in Pyro and respawn in Stanton, probably with no head or mobiglas.

Time will Tell

This is actually an intended feature, so that players can enjoy the immersion of commuting gameplay that the devs worked so hard on. Do you hate the devs?