Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I asked someone on the planning commission if the city was considering doing away with single-family zoning, and I'm pretty sure they tried to tell me that multifamily zoning was the actual problem. I, uh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's an extreme example, but one of the inner ring suburbs has required a minimum lot size of an acre since 1989 with mandatory 50' setback. Really keeps the riffraff out, I guess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I asked someone on the planning commission if the city was considering doing away with single-family zoning, and I'm pretty sure they tried to tell me that multifamily zoning was the actual problem. I, uh..

it is to what they hate (poor people and minorities)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oregon got rid of single family zoning statewide but my understanding is a lot of cities are using the permitting process and development fees to continue enforcing it on a de facto basis

Apr 7, 2003

lol I just checked and my own neighborhood has a minimum lot size of 8000 square feet for new construction with almost all the properties on 3,000 square foot lots as built. sounds like a great fuckin' recipe for urban blight.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anime was right posted:

it is to what they hate (poor people and minorities)

The interesting twist is that they seemed to be blaming multi-family zoning for the destruction of minority communities. Which, yeah, historically black neighborhoods have largely been zoned multi-family here, but the conclusion isn't that we need to expand single-family zoning to protect minorities.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol I just checked and my own neighborhood has a minimum lot size of 8000 square feet for new construction with almost all the properties on 3,000 square foot lots as built. sounds like a great fuckin' recipe for urban blight.

My house is on a lot that is exactly 1/2 the minimum lot size of the zone it's sitting in right now. Same with basically every other house on this block and adjacent blocks. It's loving asinine.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The interesting twist is that they seemed to be blaming multi-family zoning for the destruction of minority communities. Which, yeah, historically black neighborhoods have largely been zoned multi-family here, but the conclusion isn't that we need to expand single-family zoning to protect minorities.

people will just say poo poo as long as they can do a racism

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Minimum lot sizes + habitable square footages + mandatory setbacks are a huge part of why anyone under 40 can't afford a place of their own anymore.

also why the 1/3 of americans over 50 living alone, as cited in the story, can't afford to buy a place of their own.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvdQ381K5xg

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1597640970698465280?s=20&t=KLkul8hHpTWHKWOcre8aOw

one easy trick to reduce the homeless rate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it's beautiful

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Offer $196,800.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

grey laminate flooring and 2nd hand Ikea cabinents?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's either a basement condo or an especially depressing loft conversion.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
update: another 10 G down the drain in my $4,000 house

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

War and Pieces posted:

update: another 10 G down the drain in my $4,000 house

not to worry, you'll profit 10x when you sell

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

love the "home renos" where they install a single high-end fixture/bath/shower or something and do nothing else. Fancy clawfoot tub next to a contractor-grade sink from the 90's, brand-new kitchen with composite flooring with a hard transition to beige carpet and grandma couches

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Justin Tyme posted:

love the "home renos" where they install a single high-end fixture/bath/shower or something and do nothing else. Fancy clawfoot tub next to a contractor-grade sink from the 90's, brand-new kitchen with composite flooring with a hard transition to beige carpet and grandma couches

Honestly, it's usually much worse than something like this. A lot of these quick and dirty renovations involve tearing out relatively good (but old) poo poo and replacing it with cheap but trendy contractor-grade stuff. There's a small-ish colonial down the road from my house where the flippers tore out the original hardwood to replace it with bargain basement LVP. I have no idea why you'd do that, but I assume because restoring the hardwood was hard, and plunking new vinyl down was easy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Flippers are actually a net good for society and should be treated as heroes: you see, poor marginalized disabled BIPOCs working class folx have exploited lived experiences and can not afford loans for renovations due to intersectional racism. It is actually bad for them to pay less for a house that could use contemporary trendy renovations as to compete with social expectation hierarchy! So by baking pre-sale renovations into a home price you allow the marginalized people to pay for the renovation with a bigger mortgage!

win/win!!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ammanas posted:

not to worry, you'll profit 10x when you sell

but then where will I live?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Get the permits, build an ADU in a corner of the lot, subdivide the land so you've got a 1000 sq ft. plot, and become a stinky hermit who has a permanent easement onto your former property.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably violates zoning

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

many people think the role of planning is to plan for property owners' investments to grow in value forever

Apr 7, 2003

Back end of my block in my lovely neighborhood, already contingent, I thought prices were supposed to come down soon or something.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat that's a nice looking house for under 300k

Apr 7, 2003

It's a 115 year old house in a working class neighborhood, $295K is absolutely insane for that place.

It's likely a dead grandma house with flipper patches

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Greg12 posted:

many people think the role of planning is to plan for property owners' investments to grow in value forever

Yeah they were really making a racial equity argument that went in the wrong direction. In their view black property owners were denied the advantages that come from single-family zoning, thus multi-family zoning was to blame. Great starting point with a terrible conclusion.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
oh drat lol, that's quite the markup there

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's one of the worst gray-overs I've ever seen.

Apr 7, 2003

It's a block from a light rail stop, which is probably good because you're not getting your car off that hill in the winter.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not on all seasons, you won't. But who buys snow tires in america?

I hope that house is haunted by someone's grandma.

Apr 7, 2003

not sure why they stuck laundry hookups on the first or second level since that house definitely has a basement. seems like a waste of living area

also I don't see a 220v hookup for a dryer there, or a gas outlet

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you have two stories, a second floor laundry room owns, from all accounts I've heard. No one wants to lug clothes up/down stairs.

Apr 7, 2003

If you're physically hosed up enough to not be able to climb stairs you aren't going to consider buying that place to begin with, it's three stories.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you have two stories, a second floor laundry room owns, from all accounts I've heard. No one wants to lug clothes up/down stairs.

lmao not if there ain’t a 240v socket

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Back end of my block in my lovely neighborhood, already contingent, I thought prices were supposed to come down soon or something.

prices are down 10% from peak here... still 130k more than they were prepandemic tho

Apr 7, 2003

people fled the cities during covid and that's why prices everywhere will never be as low as they were in 2019 ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

people fled the cities during covid and that's why prices everywhere will never be as low as they were in 2019 ever again

so city prices came down, got it