Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Genetically infusing Fidel Castro DNA into my body like metal gear solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

the path of this word is sad, it's a good movie and a great concept but americans decided we needed a smarter-sounding synonym for 'lie' but without caring about nuance

death to language and also america

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

vyelkin posted:

But why don't they just make the whole plane out of the Fidel Castro box?

Because you can't smoke on the plane

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Zvahl posted:

the path of this word is sad, it's a good movie and a great concept but americans decided we needed a smarter-sounding synonym for 'lie' but without caring about nuance

death to language and also america
it's a very specific type of dishonesty, having a specific term is useful

"it's bad to have 'malapropism' as a term because 'bad english' already covers it"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FFT posted:

"it's bad to have 'malapropism' as a term because 'bad english' already covers it"

Buddy he's saying it would be useful and is a good term but people are just using it to mean lie.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
time makes fools of us all

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
gaslighting has basically morphed into "I'm calling you a liar and I'm also accusing your lies of being abusive"

it's a good and useful term for what it's supposed to describe, but the most common current usage is about very aggressively trying to shut down someone you're arguing with and in that way, it's pretty lovely

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FFT posted:

It's a specific type of bad english.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Honoring their suffering & sacrifice, and our commitment to ethical research and practice :911:

https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1597700811102224385

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

calling it a sacrifice is not good

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

also honoring our commitment to ethical research in that context is not good!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Flesh Forge posted:

Honoring their suffering & sacrifice, and our commitment to ethical research and practice :911:

holy loving poo poo

oh my god

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Can't believe they're holding the ceremony at Fort Detrick

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

how could they be sacrificing anything when they didn't know it was being done to them? lol. the doctors who participated sacrificed their morality, maybe she meant them?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Buddy he's saying it would be useful and is a good term but people are just using it to mean lie.
the difference is pretty obvious unless you're crazy, though

that was a joke, but speaking of gaslighting

Flesh Forge posted:

stringless has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Nov 30, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The biggest gaslighters are politicians

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

The biggest gaslighters are politicians

I think you might be having problems with your memory. no politician has ever gaslit anyone

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

indigi posted:

calling it a sacrifice is not good

Honoring the sacrifice of the slaves next June 19th.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

even that wouldn't be as bad, at least that's emancipation day!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"sacrifice" is what we call it when we kill a lab specimen and rip its organs out to check out what's going on there, so in a technical sense it's an appropriate word

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

V. Illych L. posted:

"sacrifice" is what we call it when we kill a lab specimen and rip its organs out to check out what's going on there, so in a technical sense it's an appropriate word
I can almost see it in a like "they were sacrificed on the altar of science and/or to Moloch" way

it's still weird though

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
lol at the director of the cdc doing human experimentation propaganda

everyone's jealous of how many gays fauci killed and want their own slice of the pie

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can almost see it in a like "they were sacrificed on the altar of science and/or to Moloch" way

it's still weird though

yeah it's clearly not what she means, it's just a rather ghoulish coincidence.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its like when Pelosi (post kente cloth) thanked George Floyd for choosing to sacrifice himself to end racism.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We honor the sacrifice of the people Jeffrey Dahmer killed and ate, as we honor ethical restaurant management

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
get ready, Hot Takes thread, for a piping hot new take:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

FFT posted:

the difference is pretty obvious unless you're crazy, though

that was a joke, but speaking of gaslighting

brb going to go console myself in my dusty attic, where i'm sure my jewels are not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vyelkin posted:

get ready, Hot Takes thread, for a piping hot new take:

I think this was mostly a case of terrible wording, and is meant to be speculative/predictive, but words are his job so gently caress it he can wear that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think it was a case of terrible wording actually, I think he knew exactly what he was saying and who his audience is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wasn't kermit in a loving coma or something?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Subjunctive posted:

I think this was mostly a case of terrible wording, and is meant to be speculative/predictive, but words are his job so gently caress it he can wear that.

yeah, i think he’s trying to say that hell breaks loose when society decides that it’s a moral necessity but brain damage gonna brain damage

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He was addicted to benzodiazipine and rather that get standard addiction treatment, he went to Russia with his daughter and had himself put into a medically induced coma while thay cut him off cold turkey. This was Very Bad (suddenly stopping benzos like that causes seizures and poo poo) and he had some sort of lasting brain injury that left him unable to speak for like a year

Not making up or exaggerating any of that

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

it seems to me that it's a question of who's doing the action. you don't say lab animals sacrificed, you say they were sacrificed. in the same way, tuskegee victims didn't sacrifice, they were sacrificed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

did anything even come of the Tuskegee atrocities? like were they sacrificed for anything other than more data points that the disease is fatal if untreated?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the short answer is no, and even the CDC admits that

https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

indigi posted:

did anything even come of the Tuskegee atrocities? like were they sacrificed for anything other than more data points that the disease is fatal if untreated?
much like literally all of the biological research the Nazis did, the data is completely useless

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

Given the title of the study (Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male) I guess we also wanted to see if it progressed differently in black people. Surprisingly it seems we didn't actually know penicillin was an effective treatment for the first ten years of the study which is later than I figured. Doesn't change the ethics at all just weird imo.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DACK FAYDEN posted:

much like literally all of the biological research the Nazis did, the data is completely useless

That’s not quite true, using data from Nazi human experimentation is still debated on ethical grounds because there’s a fair amount that would presumably be useful in certain contexts, but scientists are reluctant to commit to using it due to the insane human cost. The prevailing argument seems to be that unethically conducted research is inherently unreliable, but it’s still up in the air even this long after the trials.

This is the best overview on the topic: http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/NaziMedEx.html

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

He was addicted to benzodiazipine and rather that get standard addiction treatment, he went to Russia with his daughter and had himself put into a medically induced coma while thay cut him off cold turkey. This was Very Bad (suddenly stopping benzos like that causes seizures and poo poo) and he had some sort of lasting brain injury that left him unable to speak for like a year

Not making up or exaggerating any of that

Also, the reason he was addicted in the first place is that he was self-perscribing, which is extremely not allowed... and his specialty is, supposedly, addiction. It's like an oncologist who specializes in lung cancer going, "Welp, I'm off the clock, time to chain smoke four packs and then breathe in a bunch of asbestos."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Loads of doctors smoke and it drives me insane