Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Few years ago at a different job we had a bunch of logi surround sets in storage and I tried them out, all complete cow dung quality. Try and find a good set of monitors in your price range, even second hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

so currently i have a pair of z533 pc speakers that i got back in 2017 for $50. considering they normally go for $150, i'd say i got a pretty good deal. i've been very satisfied with the quality of these speakers (especially at that price), but i think it's finally time to upgrade. so i was thinking about getting something no more than $300. is that enough of a price jump that i'll notice significant improvements in audio quality? and if so, what should i get?

You can get good and bad gear at any price point to some degree. Cheap stuff is going to be cheap, expensive stuff is going to be better constructed and have higher quality components (usually), but there’s a big range and sound quality is very subjective.

Things like adding a subwoofer might improve your listening experience a lot more than changing out your mains if that’s an option.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

You can get good and bad gear at any price point to some degree. Cheap stuff is going to be cheap, expensive stuff is going to be better constructed and have higher quality components (usually), but there’s a big range and sound quality is very subjective.

Things like adding a subwoofer might improve your listening experience a lot more than changing out your mains if that’s an option.

oh sorry, should have mentioned, but these speakers did come with a subwoofer too (it's a 2.1 system)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

oh sorry, should have mentioned, but these speakers did come with a subwoofer too (it's a 2.1 system)

I didn’t realize those are Logitech speakers. They don’t make good speakers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

so currently i have a pair of z533 pc speakers that i got back in 2017 for $50. considering they normally go for $150, i'd say i got a pretty good deal. i've been very satisfied with the quality of these speakers (especially at that price), but i think it's finally time to upgrade. so i was thinking about getting something no more than $300. is that enough of a price jump that i'll notice significant improvements in audio quality? and if so, what should i get?

Maybe Edifier? These are $180, if you can go to $400 this includes a sub as well, or the S1000MKII. But there's probably a zillion good options.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Mederlock posted:

If your receiver had dual zone functionality it would be pretty easy, but it doesn't. However, it does seem to have a pre-out, so all you need is a headphone amplifier with it's own volume control connected to the RCA audio-outs on your receiver. You can get fancy and expensive on the headphone amp, but the bare basic requirement would be something like this for around $30-$50 https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Portable-Headphones-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B076JC45M4/

I got this headphone amp, The Douk.. It has RCA-inputs

So via ARC I used the RCA-outs on the back, connected it to this thing, and nada

I think the problem has to do with the source having to match for it to work. For example, it would work if I used something like the VCR, which has the RCA. Or maybe it has to do with the ARC setup. I dunno, I'm tired, thank you all for trying

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wilkins Micawber posted:

So via ARC I used the RCA-outs on the back, connected it to this thing, and nada

I think the problem has to do with the source having to match for it to work. For example, it would work if I used something like the VCR, which has the RCA. Or maybe it has to do with the ARC setup. I dunno, I'm tired, thank you all for trying

Are you using HDMI and RCA outs? Sometimes HDMI shuts off everything else when it’s in use, even if that component has analogue outs as well.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Feed the HDMI from your Xbox to your receiver first, like a "game output" HDMI 1 or whatever, then an HDMI from the ARC on your tv to the TV Out HDMI on your receiver. Then go into the settings menus for your receiver and see if there's any settings related to audio out, or audio/video source assignments where you can assign which inputs feed each input and output

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I posted this earlier, but from what I read in its manual the receiver in question only does output from the rca inputs right next to the output. It’s like a pass through for that specific input and not something you can route hdmi to.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My Schiit modi 3 was not working and the power light was on and everything, go looking on google and see a reddit post that was like turn it upside down and use a hot hair dryer on it for a minute or two and plug it back in. It is now working and I am like this is the dumbest poo poo ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fallorn posted:

My Schiit modi 3 was not working and the power light was on and everything, go looking on google and see a reddit post that was like turn it upside down and use a hot hair dryer on it for a minute or two and plug it back in. It is now working and I am like this is the dumbest poo poo ever.

you gotta pull the game cartridge out and blow on the pins, then rub it on your sleeve for at least ten seconds before putting it back in, and make sure you slam it back into the N64 super hard--like as hard as you can

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

you gotta pull the game cartridge out and blow on the pins, then rub it on your sleeve for at least ten seconds before putting it back in, and make sure you slam it back into the N64 super hard--like as hard as you can

The thing was I was like no idea what else to try why the gently caress not, and then it worked. Normally my pc is not powered all the way off and ever made this an issue.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Fallorn posted:

My Modi 1 did the same thing :( It worked until it got back to ambient temperature and I unplugged it. Now trying to find a replacement, but it's not very encouraging if even the two generations newer models do it. "Built like a tank" my rear end!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s so many good cheap DACs out there why would you stick with Schiit? There’s even Geshelli or JDS Labs if you still want to buy American assembled.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

There’s so many good cheap DACs out there why would you stick with Schiit? There’s even Geshelli or JDS Labs if you still want to buy American assembled.

because they look pretty

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

qirex posted:

Wanna stack that stack.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Audiophilia is a lot of form over function.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The Schiit stuff worked great for years and then this so over all I am like meh small problems.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LRADIKAL posted:

Audiophilia is a lot of form over function.

That reminds me. I still want a pair of B&O Pentas. :swoon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone heard the JBL HDI-1600? They’re 30% off right now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is an audio question, a TV question, a tech question or whatever, but I'm sure there is someone on here smart enough to help me.

I currently have a TV hooked up to soundbar and a 4k blu-ray player amongst other things. My steup is as follows:
    The HDMI1/ARC slot on the TV is connected to the ARC slot on the Soundbar
    The Blu-Ray player a HDMI cable going to the HDMI 2 slot on the TV
    The Blu-Ray player has another HDMI cable going to the HDMI2 slot on the Soundbar

When i watch a movie on the Blu-Ray player, there isn't any sound when the soundbar is set to "auto" for the input. I'm more than happy to manually select the input to HDMI2 and this works fine, i now get sound. The problem is, when pressing the input button to get the HMDI2 on the soundbar, it has to scroll past HDMI1 in order to get there (i have to press the sound input button twice). As a result of this, the video input on the TV is changing to HDMI1, so now i get sound, but no picture. If I change the HDMI input on the TV back to the Blu-Ray the sound input on the soundbar defaults back to auto/ARC mode.

Can someone tell me which device is the culprit here and explain what I can do to stop the TV input changing when flicking through audio sources on the soundbar?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You should get sound from the disc player via ARC and not need the second connection to the soundbar. Does that not work?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I thought UHD players required a dedicated HDMI cable for audio? I'll try it tonight though, cheers.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone here use a Sonos setup?

I’m wondering because of the way it works can you play music on the Sonos (iPhone) app and not have it interrupt the music whenever you browse to a website with auto playing video?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone here use a Sonos setup?

I’m wondering because of the way it works can you play music on the Sonos (iPhone) app and not have it interrupt the music whenever you browse to a website with auto playing video?

I am heavily invested in Sonos. It gets hate here and to a degree I get it, it does have faults, but overall I think it is and has been an excellent system for me. For reference I got my first parts of the the system in 2010.

As to your specific question, the Sonos app should be thought of as a remote control. Your phone controls what happens, but it is not actually involved in the streaming itself. All the actual streaming is done by and inside the Sonos units themselves. You can start a stream and then do whatever you want on your phone. Browse the web, watch Youtube, reboot the phone, doesn't matter. It is independent of the functioning of the Sonos units. Most of the Units also have (minimal) controls on the devices themselves that allow for stop/start volume change and grouping/ungrouping. You can also run different streams at the same time on different devices all controlled by the same phone etc. The app runs on phones, tablets and there is a PC client as well.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

emocrat posted:

I am heavily invested in Sonos. It gets hate here and to a degree I get it, it does have faults, but overall I think it is and has been an excellent system for me. For reference I got my first parts of the the system in 2010.

As to your specific question, the Sonos app should be thought of as a remote control. Your phone controls what happens, but it is not actually involved in the streaming itself. All the actual streaming is done by and inside the Sonos units themselves. You can start a stream and then do whatever you want on your phone. Browse the web, watch Youtube, reboot the phone, doesn't matter. It is independent of the functioning of the Sonos units. Most of the Units also have (minimal) controls on the devices themselves that allow for stop/start volume change and grouping/ungrouping. You can also run different streams at the same time on different devices all controlled by the same phone etc. The app runs on phones, tablets and there is a PC client as well.

That’s exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. Why does the Sonos system get hate? I’m looking to get a few of their cheaper speakers to put around my house and I haven’t really found a simpler or cheaper way.

Although admittedly if I wanted to integrate it with my living room speakers it’s ridiculously expensive.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Sri.Theo posted:

That’s exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. Why does the Sonos system get hate? I’m looking to get a few of their cheaper speakers to put around my house and I haven’t really found a simpler or cheaper way.

Although admittedly if I wanted to integrate it with my living room speakers it’s ridiculously expensive.

Others here can chime in with reasons, I am probably not the best person to for that as I like the system. However, I think its mostly 2 things:

Cost is high, or at least can be. Depending on your use case and needs I think it can be seen as either very efficient or extremely pricey.

The other was there was an issue a few years ago, where they made a large enough change to the control app that they _couldn't_ (wouldn't?) have it work with some of the oldest devices they had out in the field. Basically they introduced S2 (new app) and S2 was incompatible with old devices. Initially they indicated they were gonna brick them basically. There was outcry. End result was this, moving to S2 was optional, but S1 was no longer going to get updates. If you kept certain devices in use, you were stuck on S1 (worked fine in general). Nothing was bricked. They implemented a discount turn in system where you could de activate an unsupported older item, and received a reasonable discount (15-30% depending on the item if I remember) on a new replacement.

I was affected by this. I had 2 units that were incompatible. One was a network bridge that was obsolete and turning it off had no affect. The other was a first gen connect, the unit that adds Sonos control to an existing stereo. That unit is fairly pricey. the 7 play 1s I have in my house that range from 11-5 years old were all supported and there was no issue. Ultimately I ended up replacing the connect. I decided that while it sucked, it was worth it to me, and that having run it for 11 years I had got my $ worth out of it. Now, my tune will change if there starts to be a shortening of cadence on stuff like that.

In general though I think the system is really great for my use case. I have our main living room system attached through a connect and then we have 7 play 1's throughout the house, basically 1 per room. We also have a Move that sits on a base and serves 1 room but can just be grabbed and taken wherever, but for us usually out on our back deck. Battery lasts legit a full day of use. Its very nice to be able to have multiple streams in different spaces for whatever people want with no friction. Its nice to have the music follow me around the home as I do stuff. Sonos has alarm functionality which we use a TON. We have bedtime music come on at fixed to key expectations for our young children. We have similar wake up music. We use them as white noise machines in bedrooms, all automatic. We have a few streaming services that integrate seamlessly but also it is connected into my media server and our large collection of owned music.

Its pricey in some ways, but we use the gently caress out of it and it has been really really worth it for us. 11 years of use now, haven't had a single unit break in any way, only real issue was the above mentioned connect replacement.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 30, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bring back the Chromecast audio, you cowards!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sonos is generally good but it has some annoying restrictions/quirks that you should be aware of.

Hardware
  • The small speakers: One, One SL, IKEA models, are great value and sound good. I have four of them including a stereo pair in my bedroom which I love. Anything competing is either super limited or a loss leader surveillance microphone. The Five is OK but you're getting into "real" audio gear territory at that point.
  • The subs are hilariously priced, even the "cheap" one. They also have a fraction of the output of a "proper" third party one.
  • The price of the Port at $450 is practically criminal. 99% of the hardware to do what it does is embedded in the $99 IKEA speaker. This frequently goes on sale for $80 and is a bit perfect Airplay endpoint. That said like emocrat I bit the bullet and bought a Connect way back.
  • The Amp is expensive but it's a legit piece of hardware. It could be a single centerpiece for a whole properly good 2.1 living room system with box speakers and a real sub. Receivers in its price range are crammed with more features but they won't sound better and have crappy streaming platforms [see below]
  • The Arc and Beam seem OK and people apparently loving love being able to have wireless surround speakers [you can also do this with the Amp]. I'm not much of a soundbar person, though. Expensive, underpowered subwoofers limit home theater performance.
  • God drat it I wish they made some kind of remote. There's an IKEA one but I haven't tried it.

Software
  • Initial setup is probably quicker and easier than any equivalent system. It's pretty much the easiest to use and most reliable "smart" thing I've ever encountered.
  • Clearly better than Play Fi, HEOS and other smaller vendor gear. It's probably roughly equivalent to BluOS but Bluesound/NAD hardware is even more expensive
  • A lot of the benefit is if you have a large [but not too large, there's a 65,000 song limit] music library and being able to switch back and forth between local and streamed music with a single interface. You can make playlists that include both.
  • It has better coverage of less common streaming services than anyone else. I use Mixcloud pretty regularly and it's supported.
  • You can only play music through Sonos to their hardware, so if you want to listen on your phone or computer you have to use something else. This is ultimately what pushed me towards Roon [additional incredibly expensive software I use on top of my Sonos you should probably ignore for now]
  • Good Airplay support

The Company
  • Sonos releases products at a glacial pace. A lot of their bugs like the 65k limit have been around for actual decades. They will never add bluetooth. Basically buy it for what it is now and don't expect it to improve over time.
  • They are never going to "open up" their system more, at least not unless they need to because they're in trouble. They make too much money the way they're doing things now, particularly in the home install market where they can sell a closet full of connects to a system integrator for a big house and the customer won't blink at $500/room.
  • The whole S1/S2 thing is done but left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. This is the downside of having incredibly long product lifecycles, people get used to what you have. They stepped on their own dicks a bunch of times with that and while I hope they learned their lesson something similar could happen again.
  • Like every company that sells actual hardware they're looking for recurring revenue streams, right now it's just a radio service that exists for no reason.

tl;dr: You can get the same or better raw audio performance cheaper, you can get more flexible gear for the same price but it's the most usable thing and the small speakers are a bargain.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 30, 2022

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

qirex posted:

a good post

I basically agree with all of this post, its a good rundown. I especially agree that the value is in the play 1 mostly. $200 per room all in for what you are getting is a good deal. Understand that what you are really buying with Sonos is integration and convenience, not high quality audio gear. If the integrations and convenience and the all in one simplicity are valuable to you, then go for it. If they are not, spend $ elsewhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They should bring back a Play:3 sized speaker.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The old Zone player90/(ie. The Connect ) that I picked up for like, 10 bucks at a bulk sale thrift store stopped working on me like, 3 weeks after I hooked it up. It'll show that it's connected and playing, but it won't actually output the audio anymore. It'll only give like a 2 second blip of the sound when the song changes and that's it. Dunno if I should crack it open and clean it out, reflow some solder, check for worn caps, or just get rid of it.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

Bring back the Chromecast audio, you cowards!

Only if they can make it do gapless playback.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the Sonos talk - especially with the IKEA options it still looks like it will be the cheapest way to get the whole home audio experience I want. The no high-fidelity audio and unknown longevity of the device situation does suck but we do almost all our listening through Spotify anyway.

We do have a nice sounding Cambridge audio/Denon system that I’d like to integrate but that port is wildly priced.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks for the Sonos talk - especially with the IKEA options it still looks like it will be the cheapest way to get the whole home audio experience I want. The no high-fidelity audio and unknown longevity of the device situation does suck but we do almost all our listening through Spotify anyway.

We do have a nice sounding Cambridge audio/Denon system that I’d like to integrate but that port is wildly priced.
In that case you'll definitely like the Sonos gear because it has built in Spotify Connect that supports the guest functionality. You can start something playing from a mobile device or similar and then pick a Sonos speaker in Spotify and it'll automatically turn on Spotify Connect and switch over to playing from the cloud directly (at which point you can close Spotify on the device and go back to doing something else). The guest stuff also means that other people on the same network can control the Spotify Connect stream from Spotify (including adjusting the queue) rather than the Sonos app which tends to make it a bit easier if you've got multiple people listening at the same time.

You can set up your direct connections to services like Spotify, Apple Music inside the Sonos app and use Google Assistant or Alexa to start them directly via any of the Sonos speakers with microphones but that's not necessary if you're just using Spotify Connect as I've described above.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is the Denon X4700H being on sale for $1,499 actually a decent deal?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got a 4400 for $850 in 2019, so either prices have skyrocketed or that isn’t much of a sale

Im happy with it though. And to be fair I did buy it once the 4500 was out I think.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I’m going entry-level for a new TV with Klipsch 41Ms and K-100SM sub (~$250 for all) through a Fosi Audio BT30D on advice from a friend. He caught me last night to point out Klipsch 15PM on woot for $199, which would simplify my setup (and has all the wires I need). It’s dumb to agonize over (been researching since) but I can’t decide which route to go. This will be in lieu of a soundbar in a large living space with tile floors, so I don’t expect any miracles. I did see 51M for $199 too, which would seem to be a major upgrade, but I’m open to any and all advice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Quite suddenly (as in fine yesterday, not fine today) the right one of my Yamaha monitors has gotten a lot quieter, maybe ~9db. I've switched the cables on the interface side and then on the monitor side and it's always the right one. Both woofer and tweeter still produce sound and I can compensate by dialing up the trim on the right a lot. Is there more I can do to actually fix this, presuming I don't have a clue about the internal electronics of these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

Quite suddenly (as in fine yesterday, not fine today) the right one of my Yamaha monitors has gotten a lot quieter, maybe ~9db. I've switched the cables on the interface side and then on the monitor side and it's always the right one. Both woofer and tweeter still produce sound and I can compensate by dialing up the trim on the right a lot. Is there more I can do to actually fix this, presuming I don't have a clue about the internal electronics of these things?

You switched the cables coming out of your amp and it’s still the same speaker that’s quiet?