Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

https://ssu.gov.ua/novyny/komunisty...yrektor-arkhivu

good news, the SBU has new holodomor surprises

Odd that Kogut doesn't go on to explain how he knows for certain that such documents were destroyed en masse. I'm sure that omission was just an honest mistake.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/z7wm7q/mods_at_rworldnews_are_permabanning_anyone_who/

Lol the askhistorians subreddit is discussing the holodomor, look at some of these comments.

Ukraine's claims on the annexed territories are revanchist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine is unique and Russia is not.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
From what I have read in that Japanese scholar's publication on language, it seems like people in Belarus and Ukraine adopted standard Russian in many aspects due to similarities in the languages. Historically, some simply considered Belarusian and Ukrainian as dialects (wrongly or rightly). Other SSRs with more different languages maintained their languages. So it seems like there was buy-in to the USSR project that Ukrainian nationalists are resentful of.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukrainian language existed and was taught in USSR.

The current day nationalists are just trying to change things to distance themselves from communist and russian influence.

And I've been told that there are several regional dialects of Ukrainian as well. I assume because the country covers a large geographic area and that land changed hands more than once.

edit: If you ask me Ukrainian sounds like a mix of Russian and Polish, but I think we've had this conversation before too.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

they should paint the bottom of fighter jets to look like the sky and the top of them to look like the ground

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

they should paint the bottom of fighter jets to look like the sky and the top of them to look like the ground

what happens if you look at them from the side

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

It breaks the orc pilots' brains and they start crashing into each other. They go "AAAAAAAAH WHAT THE gently caress ZUG ZUG!!!" *kaboom*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you're looking at it from the side you're either on the ground or someone is probably gonna get shot at.

Edit: Or you can just paint the whole top and side the same color, because it shouldn't make a difference for this specific case.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Dec 1, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/gayest_tone/status/1598182637382029313

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Well-meaning?! Those are Assadist tankie fifth columnists! Wasbappin seems compromised.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tristeham posted:

lmao this loving guy

The twitter except leaves out the part where Zelensky explicitly mentions letting companies and other countries own parts of Ukraine lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

US hands Raytheon $1.2bn Ukraine missile systems contract

The US Army awarded a $1.2bn contract to Raytheon Technologies Co for six National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems Nasams for Ukraine on Wednesday, the Pentagon said.

200m each lol

progressive, anti-war leftists smiling and nodding sagely watching 1.2bn more dollars go to raytheon

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Calibanibal posted:

Did you not see the picture? It's blue and yellow.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/uncle_authority/status/1597823952399011840

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

People feel exhausted by the debate—which was, perhaps, the point of the Russian assault on the historiography of the famine in the first place.

But the genocide debate, so fierce a decade ago, has subsided for other reasons too. The accumulation of evidence means that it matters less, nowadays, whether the 1932–3 famine is called a genocide, a crime against humanity, or simply an act of mass terror. Whatever the definition, it was a horrific assault, carried out by a government against its own people. It was one of several such assaults in the twentieth century, not all of which fit into neat legal definitions. That the famine happened, that it was deliberate, and that it was part of a political plan to undermine Ukrainian identity is becoming more widely accepted, in Ukraine as well as in the West, whether or not an international court confirms it.

Slowly, the debate is also becoming less important to Ukrainians. In truth, the legal arguments about the famine and genocide were often proxies for arguments about Ukraine, Ukrainian sovereignty and Ukraine’s right to exist. The discussion of the famine was a way of insisting on Ukraine’s right to a separate national history and to its own national memory. But now—after more than a quarter-century of independence, two street revolutions and a Russian invasion that was finally halted by a Ukrainian army—sovereignty is a fact, not a theory that requires historical justification, or indeed any justification at all.

quote:

Certainly the elimination of Ukraine’s elite in the 1930s—the nation’s best scholars, writers and political leaders as well as its most energetic farmers—continues to matter. Even three generations later, many of contemporary Ukraine’s political problems, including widespread distrust of the state, weak national institutions and a corrupt political class, can be traced directly back to the loss of that first, post-revolutionary, patriotic elite. In 1933 the men and women who could have led the country, the people whom they would have influenced and who would have influenced others in turn, were abruptly removed from the scene. Those who replaced them were frightened into silence and obedience, taught to be wary, careful, cowed. In subsequent years the state became a thing to be feared, not admired; politicians and bureaucrats were never again seen as benign public servants. The political passivity in Ukraine, the tolerance of corruption, and the general wariness of state institutions, even democratic ones—all of these contemporary Ukrainian political pathologies date back to 1933.

The Russification that followed the famine has also left its mark. Thanks to the USSR’s systematic destruction of Ukrainian culture and memory, many Russians do not treat Ukraine as a separate nation with a separate history. Many Europeans are only dimly aware that Ukraine exists at all. Ukrainians themselves have mixed and confused loyalties. That ambiguity can translate into cynicism and apathy. Those who do not care much or know much about their nation are not likely to work to make it a better place. Those who do not feel any sense of civic responsibility are less interested in stopping corruption.

guess the book

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morbus posted:

It's not a point in Ukraine's favor...but it is probably better than Ukraine being dependent on domestic production that is 100% vulnerable to strategic bombardment

Also, there are certain "advantages" to war production being externalized to countries that don't give a poo poo about the place where the war is being fought, if the goal is to sustain attritional war as long as possible

While its nice to have a distant factory thousands of kilometres away it also means that if something breaks or you need more than very basic field repairs its getting driven or towed all those thousands of kilometres back to the shop.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

That's why you paint anime girls doing a sing and dance routine on the side of your jets.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

This is a traditional Latvian symbol but also Latvians are pretty bad so...turns out they were ok with the symbol morphing

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

guess the book

pure weapons-grade applebaum

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Danann posted:

i think it needs a bit more blue and yellow to be distinguishable imo

Air Forces do this sort of thing when they're more worried about friendly AAA than enemy fighters.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the rehabilitation of neoconservativism in the wake of the russian invasion of ukraine is very demoralising

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

V. Illych L. posted:

the rehabilitation of neoconservativism in the wake of the russian invasion of ukraine is very demoralising

describing the culmination of the past 8 years as "the russian invasion" is very demoralising

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo sending an army of regular soldiers with uniforms and tanks and everything into another country's territory constitutes an invasion

i agree that it's the latest escalation in a reciprocal process, but if this is not an invasion it's not clear to me what would be

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

V. Illych L. posted:

yah

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Calibanibal posted:

What if they fly upside down, genius?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

speng31b posted:

https://ssu.gov.ua/novyny/komunisty...yrektor-arkhivu

good news, the SBU has new holodomor surprises

Rather interesting that the "I, Joseph 'Ukrainian Genocider' Stalin, hereby declare that to achieve our goals of establishing the global dominance of judeo bolshevism, we must kill 20 million ukrainians" letter from 1932 that supports the Ukrainian narrative seems to have been written with a Bic pen on paper made with 21st century manufacturing techniques.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
"I got bored of doing the holodomor to them" -Stalin on why the famine in Ukraine ended

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

I can see why you might remember it like that, but the article is being super vague for I think obvious reasons.

They actually said 30k KiA and even more likely in August 2022: https://www.currenttime.tv/a/ne-boy...-/31996299.html. However I think the other posters here had good arguments it's an overcount

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://strana.best/articles/analys...emja-vojny.html

quote:

Russian prisoners of war

A separate category of cases, due to wartime, is the protection of Russian prisoners of war. However, lawyers in private practice, in most cases, refuse such work for moral reasons.

Semyon Khanin says he does not know of any private firm in Ukraine that has agreed to protect a Russian prisoner. Moreover, Khanin believes that prisoners of war who do not go for an exchange can do without a lawyer at all.

“Prisoners can be conditionally divided into two groups: prisoners who are left alive in order to exchange them for ours, and others who have committed some especially serious crimes, and they are not exchanged out of principle. I believe that in the processes of such prisoners there should not be a lawyer. And now they are forced to be. Prisoners are provided with a free lawyer if no one comes. The law obliges us. And a free lawyer is forced, like a doctor, to protect such a prisoner, "explains Khanin.

The lawyer believes that it is necessary at the level of the law, the code and the Constitution to remove the lawyer in cases against prisoners of war.

However, one cannot deny the high probability that if such a practice is applied in Ukraine, the state will be bombarded with claims to the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights).

According to Yevgeny Solodko, it is in the interests of Ukraine to provide effective protection to Russian prisoners of war, so that in the future Ukraine will not be forced to pay huge compensations to the families of prisoners of war in case they lose cases in the ECtHR.

“So that we do not become like Russia even in such a delicate matter as protecting prisoners of war who are brought before the courts of our country, they must have effective protection. The ECHR qualifies ineffective protection as a violation of human rights. If we are already at the entrance to NATO and Europe, then the question of law is one of the pillars of democracy. We must strictly observe the rights of prisoners of war so that no one, and especially the enemy, can accuse us of violating them," the lawyer is convinced.

Corruptionists

Lawyers specializing in criminal practice are loaded with work during the war. The reason for this is the unprecedented activity of anti-corruption agencies, which in recent months have issued one suspicion of illegal enrichment after another.

Lawyer Oleksandr Lysak, in a commentary to Strana, said that, given the vigor of NABU and SAPO, in the near future, anti-corruption lawyers will have even more cases.

“We have a lot of cases, our company is loaded to the maximum. We mainly deal with a corruption component. Due to the fact that we are in demand as a company, we cannot provide our services to everyone, so we have to choose according to the load,” says Lysak.

According to Semyon Khanin, suspicions of corruption often resemble a witch hunt.

“It is necessary to fight corruption, of course, but not to create crimes. And the anti-corruption agencies have a vile system of provocations with the help of their “agents”. a judge in one guise is such a man-orchestra. The number of criminal proceedings cannot be a criterion for assessing law enforcement officers. Because of this, it turns out that they begin to create these cases where they can be dispensed with. This is far from European standards. How not revelry corruption, so rampant expediency. NABU and SAP create conditions for a person to fall into their networks. This is not about law," Semyon Khanin analyzes.

sube has issued a correction as of 12:51 on Dec 1, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gotta end the war first

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I tire of Europe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Polikarpov posted:

Air Forces do this sort of thing when they're more worried about friendly AAA than enemy fighters.

Maybe not “more” worried, but it’s definitely the motivation behind these giant color schemes and flag liveries. Russia and Ukraine have both had multiple friendly fire incidents, so there’s a reason why, especially on helicopters, the color schemes have become increasingly obvious with time.

Ukrainian helicopters pre-war had a little roundel. now they have multiple massive Ukrainian flags. Same idea as painting big identifiers on trucks and tanks.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I would simply perform basic IFF while scared for my life.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

This is a traditional Latvian symbol but also Latvians are pretty bad so...turns out they were ok with the symbol morphing

Traditional Nazi Latvian Christmas

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I figured, but surely they’re tied to them by now?

Donrf posted:

I was told here that the Pension Fund of the Russian Federation does not know such an organization as the People's Militia DLNR and does not count service in it. Guys, that's tens of thousands of men. With guns. As for references, you can go to the city of Marinka or Artemovsk. They will explain to you what their service is and where it comes from. I wholeheartedly believe that this is a technical glitch caused by the reunion and not an act of sabotage. And that it will soon be overcome.
(from t.me/donrf22/10234, via tgsa)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well at least they didn’t manage to fit on a sparkly Dirlewanger brigade badge, so small victories i suppose

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol these motherfuckers

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/z7wm7q/mods_at_rworldnews_are_permabanning_anyone_who/

Lol the askhistorians subreddit is discussing the holodomor, look at some of these comments.

quote:

On top of all this, there were restrictions on the use of the Ukranian language.

I keep seeing over and over this vague claim that the soviets were repressing the Ukrainian language without any specific instances of that happening or really any verifiable claim whatsoever is this just another thing invented by nationalists after the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I keep seeing over and over this vague claim that the soviets were repressing the Ukrainian language without any specific instances of that happening or really any verifiable claim whatsoever is this just another thing invented by nationalists after the fact

it's just projection, seeing as how we have absolutely verifiable evidence of the Ukrainians doing that to Russian-speakers