Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You're totally missing the joke. The joke is that Barney is prone to addiction and is replacing alcohol with coffee, and Moe is taking advantage of that knowledge by selling him coffee instead of alcohol.

sure, yes, that's the joke, but i also have a memory of moe spiking the lattes (after the central premise that he was merely switching from one addiction to another was established). it's season 11 so just borderline on whether i need to revisit and determine if it's a mandela effect style implanted memory or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Barney has iirc never shown up in a future episode.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like there was a period where they went back and forth on Barney. Like they did the helicopter episode where he sobers up and made a few more references to him being sober in later episodes, but then at some point he was just drinking again with no build-up. Maybe they thought sober Barney was too boring to write for or just flat-out forgot they made him sober in the first place.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huh no Barney

:rip:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like there was a period where they went back and forth on Barney. Like they did the helicopter episode where he sobers up and made a few more references to him being sober in later episodes, but then at some point he was just drinking again with no build-up. Maybe they thought sober Barney was too boring to write for or just flat-out forgot they made him sober in the first place.

I remember in the spelling bee episode (whatever season that was) they had a gag about him relapsing. It just became part of his character that he's constantly falling off and on the wagon depending on what the jokes required.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The classic future episodes are fun since they basically just go full BTTF2 with the future being like the present but moreso, especially when it doesn't make any sense. Half the time they get it more accurate than the stuff actively trying to predict it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

He's probably just off flying a helicopter somewhere, drinking coffee and having a good life!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ive seen that episode more times than I can count and I never picked up on that

:rip:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
man, i wonder what far-off-into-the-future year that episode is set

ah. hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbx2fp_q4A&t=27s

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I have a bad habbit of thinking too hard about the financial situations of putatively poor cartoon characters. Moe suddenly having "buy someone helicopter lessons as a joke" money really bugged me.

heh, well fear not friend as you're not alone here. for i thought the same thing! :hfive:

it definitely didn't seem like the kind of thing you could just get willy nilly. either it cost a shitload but moe thought it would be still be worth it to laugh at barney, he has some good connections or he won it in a contest or something by accident and didn't want them (either one of these seem reasonable imo)

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You're totally missing the joke. The joke is that Barney is prone to addiction and is replacing alcohol with coffee, and Moe is taking advantage of that knowledge by selling him coffee instead of alcohol.

hmm, are you sure about that? i rewatched it, and there's no indication that he went on mocha lattes until the very end of the episode. and after he drank all of those, he burped and and had that drunken look to him like he does whenever he's..drunk.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

well that's...quite depressing now :smith:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 28, 2022

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

He's at Lisa's wedding, he's just not in that bar shot.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mr Interweb posted:

hmm, are you sure about that? i rewatched it, and there's no indication that he went on mocha lattes until the very end of the episode. and after he drank all of those, he burped and and had that drunken look to him like he does whenever he's..drunk.

nah. the idea* is that he's an addict, not just an alcoholic, and that Moe is going to keep him on a hook.

plus Homer spikes his coffee when Barney isn't looking.

*comedy

the joke is at the coronor

womb with a view posted:

oh, nm

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I haven't watched much of the new simpsons because, y'know, it's really awful. But everytime I do, it's amazing how violently whatever plot is happening just comes to a complete stop and the episode just ends. Like, the episode plots go absolutely nowhere.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Empty Sandwich posted:

the joke is at the coronor

Thread title

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Empty Sandwich posted:

nah. the idea* is that he's an addict, not just an alcoholic, and that Moe is going to keep him on a hook.

plus Homer spikes his coffee when Barney isn't looking.

okay so it was homer, but i definitely remember spiking of some sort

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zeniel posted:

I haven't watched much of the new simpsons because, y'know, it's really awful. But everytime I do, it's amazing how violently whatever plot is happening just comes to a complete stop and the episode just ends. Like, the episode plots go absolutely nowhere.

I think you can really tell they just begrudgingly write poo poo until they've hit 22 minutes and then immediately clock out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

okay so it was homer, but i definitely remember spiking of some sort

Yeah homer spikes his personal coffee right before barney chugs like 3 of his own coffees, getting a drunk expression and belching at the end. It cuts to Moe watching through binoculars, who is at a coffee machine right outside his bar. The intention was apparently just a change of addictions but you could easily be forgiven for thinking Moe is also distributing spiked drinks

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

womb with a view posted:

That's clearly Kearney with a hairpiece

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I choose to believe that Barney not being at Moes in the future episodes is a good sign.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the one from 2 weeks ago, Grandpa gets a girlfriend (Carol Kane) who's a "aural therapist" or some other such nonsense that the writers saw an article on in New York Magazine once. He moves in with her.

She's got an adopted 11-year-old kid Calvin (Melissa McCarthy) and Grandpa is a million times better with him than he was with Homer, so Homer gets pissy about it. But then Homer turns out to be allergic to Carnuba wax that Marge used absolutely everywhere in the house, so he has to move in to Calvin's room. The kid is a precocious weirdo that Homer doesn't get. Calvin convinces Homer to express his feelings to his dad, so Homer crashes Calvin's taxidermy contest with some pop art he made that shows Abe how he feels.

The kids go to the retirement home to pick up Abe's poo poo and find out his room is paid up for 2 more weeks. Lisa, having found out the other kids see her as a killjoy, decides to use it to throw the greatest sleepover ever. The first one goes great but the next weekend they try to top themselves and the party goes completely insane. Lisa calls the cops on her own party and breaks it up, but convinces Wiggum to fake arrest her so she still seems cool.

Abe gets dumped in the credits scene.

Pretty good episode actually.

The newest one is a future episode with no framing device at all, just future episode. It's supposed to be a sendup of When Harry Met Sally.

Future Lisa runs into Future Nelson (they're 22 I think). Nelson and his mom moved out after 4th grade so they haven't seen each other since then. Nelson's got a dead-end job as a bell tower rope puller, so Lisa gives us her brief idea about dating him and moves away.

5 years later, she's on a train with her Time's Person of the Year boyfriend who's a tech genius or something and Nelson stops a train hijacking. He's a bounty hunter with his wife arresting snake. Lisa's boyfriend Hubert (Simu Liu) and Nelson start making GBS threads on each other and Nelson gives him a wedgie.

5 years later, Lisa and Nelson run into each other at a phone store. They've both separated and look like they're going to get together, but Hubert shows up and apologizes, having corrected his personality with technology.

4 months later, they get that phone call from When Harry Met Sally where they get invited to mutual friends' wedding (Jimbo and Krusty's daughter played by Natasha Lyonne). Lisa gives Nelson a version of the speech at the end of that movie.

This one doesn't hang together super well. I hate Lisa and Nelson together almost as much as Lisa and Milhouse. Also these were the entirety of their adult interactions, so the ending doesn't make a lot of sense because they act like they've known each other forever so it fits the movie, but Harry and Sally are best friends for years in that movie.

There are some OK future jokes (Homer is only allowed out of debtors' prison for 30 minutes a week), but this one was pretty meh.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
No

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There’s a Stephen King short story, Ur, where someone has a magic Kindle that can buy books from other dimensions so the main character is able to read masterpieces by Hemingway or Poe written after they had died in our timeline. Scrolling through Disney+ I imagine someone from another dimension where it was cancelled after season 8 thinking they’ve hit the jackpot, then after a few eps wishing they were in the dimension where the Cuban Missile Crisis went hot.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1598723792980803584?s=46&t=MPxTxUa1pVVEnXXxcKM1TQ

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

this is it right here

the idea itself
Lisa explaining it to the audience
the incredibly dumb punchline

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SRQ posted:

this is it right here

the idea itself
Lisa explaining it to the audience
the incredibly dumb punchline

Yeah, "all new, Sunday, on Fox." How does that even work as a punchline?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Simpsons is so bad that we can't even tell what the lowest point is

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i bet they are glad they whored themselves out to do some balenciaga pr last year

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

spaceblancmange posted:

i bet they are glad they whored themselves out to do some balenciaga pr last year

go on

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHESOq-Gkw

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

this isn't as bad as it could have been. perhaps bc it's only 10 minutes.

here though are a bunch of named characters standing unanimated by a water feature. it's unsettling.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
"only"

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Empty Sandwich posted:

this isn't as bad as it could have been. perhaps bc it's only 10 minutes.

here though are a bunch of named characters standing unanimated by a water feature. it's unsettling.

hey its that white trash girl who kissed bart and tried to get her to marry him because she was pregnat

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
gently caress you for making me remember that episode exists and gently caress you for making me realize that I watched that back in 2007.

It's actually almost a little exhausting every time I realize just how long this show has been going since I last watched any of it, and just how large the ratio of unwatched to watched episodes and seasons there are for me.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

you can also see the wife of Cletus and two of her children who were introduced in that episode where they become child stars as a family band, Maggie's unibrow rival and apparently her mother, I'm having trouble placing her

to the left of Mrs. Hibbert you'll also see a recurring character who has played like advertising executives, corporate consultants, that kind of thing

she's that lady who gives those cynical presentations in boardrooms, I think she's worked for Mr. Burns, Krusty-lou Studios, Duff Beer corporation etc

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ruth Powers is frequently used as a background extra, including in "And Maggie Makes Three" even though she's introduced as a new neighbour after Maggie's born
Hope someone got fired for that blunder

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

based on Rod and Todd Flanders in the right of the image, we must assume Ned Flanders is obscured behind Marge. Those three people to the right of them are also worthy of scrutiny, the woman between the two men I don't recognize at all looks like Cookie Kwan, an employee of Red Blazer Real Estate

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I always thought it was a shame when characters that should have remained part of the casts lives fade into the background after their episode. Ruth comes back once but her daughter doesn't at all, Ashley (Lisa's Rival) never gets another speaking appearance either. I know it's because they're celebrity guest actors but it would have been nice if Lisa made a real friend who crops up now and then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

Ruth Powers is frequently used as a background extra, including in "And Maggie Makes Three" even though she's introduced as a new neighbour after Maggie's born
Hope someone got fired for that blunder

Pretty sure that episode also has Santa's Little Helper, mind.