Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KS posted:

Ah, just looked at the manual and I see it. That works. I have three zones, so it had to be tied into damper controls. The Ecobees have the same feature that varies the humidity setpoint with OAT.

This is also arguably unnecessary as a "set it and forget it" install would simply just work based on what dampers are open at the time.

People like to overcomplicate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

It's $100 more per month on your electric bill accurate? That seems pretty significant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is this the right thread to complain about appliances? I think lots of people have covered "LG fridges are poo poo" in here.

And mine failed overnight before thanksgiving. Same way as all of them, bad compressor. 4 years and 10 days after purchase.

So I fired up the googles and got ready for a fight. I called LG support at 10 AM, got a very nice person who went through their list and asked if I had a date for availability for someone to come out. I said I'm flexible and would take the first available. This person then responds with "then I'll marks this is a priority." I was told what local service company would be contacting me by the end of the day to set up an appointment and that was that.

An hour later the repair company actually contacts me. 3 hours later they show up. With parts. 45 minutes later there's a new compressor and filter dryer in the fridge and they're out the door.

This is......not what I expected. Will update if and when things go horribly wrong. Still waiting for it to cool down but it certainly appears to be working.

The class action lawsuit against them (that they settled) extended the labor warranty to 5 years (compressor is 10) so this didn't cost me anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My 2018 Kenmore microwave that came with the house blew up with a blue flash on Thanksgiving morning lmao

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That's wild, I've read that LG's customer service is total garbage. Unbelievable that even a company with a good reputation would have such a quick turnaround on a holiday.

Been trying to get a new LG washer/dryer... dryer came fine, but at delivery the washer had a massive dent in it. They didn't even try to take it off the truck it was so bad... then they delivered a new one last Wednesday, and again it was beat up... though less noticeably. Thought the dial for the washer was loose/installed poorly, but turns out there's a dent on the front at the top of control panel frame that screwed up most of the controls. They were able to run a cycle so we thought it was minor and I'd be able to use it while I waited for a replacement... so they hauled away my old one and disappeared.

Naturally, after they left, I couldn't get it to turn on. But they wouldn't mark it as priority or anything, they (Home Depot) just said "you'll get the date you get and we'll throw in "white glove" service to make sure it's not beat to poo poo this time." They did also offer a concession for all the coin-op laundry I was about to have to do, but it was a TBD thing after successful delivery. Wonderful.

Fortunately later I was able to wiggle things around and make it work... turns out the "on" button was just misaligned with the control panel, so if I grab the dial and move it around I can eventually press the on button and run a cycle.

Soooo now we're waiting for another one. Supposed to have received a new delivery date by now, but it's been radio silence. I guess Home Depot is just the middle man and LG organizes delivery on their side. We'll see... not looking forward to it. First date was the 14th, then the next date was the 23rd. With black friday, I'm worried it'll be weeks...

edit: finally got an automated call, looks like Dec 5th. Could be worse, but goddamn how is this so hard

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 26, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve heard some people here recommend turning off the water main at their house before going on vacation…want to see if that applies to my situation…

Connecticut house on a well/septic with oil baseboard heat…seems like I shouldn’t shut off the main valve from the well because doesn’t my baseboard heat use water from the well to run thru the pipes and heat everything up? I’ve got a cat we’re leaving here in December for a week so I plan on keeping the thermostat set around 62 while we’re gone.

If I shouldn’t secure the main water valve from the well, then I guess I’ll just do the individual shutoffs for the sinks and toilets?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I’ve heard some people here recommend turning off the water main at their house before going on vacation…want to see if that applies to my situation…

Connecticut house on a well/septic with oil baseboard heat…seems like I shouldn’t shut off the main valve from the well because doesn’t my baseboard heat use water from the well to run thru the pipes and heat everything up? I’ve got a cat we’re leaving here in December for a week so I plan on keeping the thermostat set around 62 while we’re gone.

If I shouldn’t secure the main water valve from the well, then I guess I’ll just do the individual shutoffs for the sinks and toilets?

Your baseboard heating is almost certainly a closed system - it reheats the same water over and over, rather then pulling it from the well and using it once.

I'd do the main, *if* you know it works. If you haven't touched the main in like a decade, there's a decent chance it starts leaking in some way whenever you touch it next. You do not want to find that out right when you're about to leave.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You should also flip the well pump's breaker off. You can just do that and run the faucets to empty the well tank if you want.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 26, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
We had to cut a trench through our stamped and dyed slate-look concrete patio to run utility conduits. We're finally patching the cut on Wednesday. I was bemoaning the fact that it won't match the rest of the patio, and my wife suggested doing something creative with it, like embedding sea glass or something. Is it straightfoward to just sprinkle and smooth some sea glass in after its poured? Will this do terrible things to the lifespan of the concrete? We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so it never really freezes here (so no freeze-thaw cycles on any water that may get under a piece of glass).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm looking to swap out my living room, staircase, and the landing on the 2nd floor with hardwoods so about 550 sq/ft in total. I really dont feel like doing it myself. We have real hardwoods in the dining room and ideally I'd like it to match.

Has anyone priced out something similar? Any considerations I should think about?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My husband woke me up at 5AM to tell me the toilet had run all night and there was no water pressure, not even after he'd turned the toilet off with the wall flange. I spent the hours between then and 7AM Googling what could have gone wrong, and how badly a pump is hosed if the well actually runs dry, and .... you get the idea. At 7 I called the pump people.

Pump guy showed up mid-morning and found the tank full. It turned out there are two pumps in a well system: one that moves water from the well to the tank, and one that pressurizes the water so that it will feed all the sinks and so on in the house. The latter one was dead, and is now merely dying; he'll replace it tomorrow.

Oh sweet relief. The homeowner's life is one of emotional jolts. Meanwhile, we have a plumber coming either today or tomorrow to figure out what's wrong with the toilet valve. It had been cranky for some weeks, we replaced it, it stayed cranky, and now if you dump water into the tank it all flows down into the bowl immediately. If we have to replace it, I won't grieve, because it's a builder's special. I will lobby for a Toto or equivalent.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm looking to swap out my living room, staircase, and the landing on the 2nd floor with hardwoods so about 550 sq/ft in total. I really dont feel like doing it myself. We have real hardwoods in the dining room and ideally I'd like it to match.

Has anyone priced out something similar? Any considerations I should think about?

You should insulate the underside, and make sure they are protected

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh sweet relief. The homeowner's life is one of emotional jolts. .

Last week I found water pooling in the bottom of my dishwasher. It seemed to coincide with the times we were washing dishes in the sink. Uh oh, drain's backed up. No wait drains look fine. Water is bubbling out of...this hole on the side. According to the manual, the hole is the "condensation vent". Turns out if you put a large plate on that side of the dishwasher, the condensation vent...does something, and then dribbles water out the side for the next two days. Luckily I didn't call a plumber or appliance guy and figured it out myself.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My husband woke me up at 5AM to tell me the toilet had run all night and there was no water pressure, not even after he'd turned the toilet off with the wall flange. I spent the hours between then and 7AM Googling what could have gone wrong, and how badly a pump is hosed if the well actually runs dry, and .... you get the idea. At 7 I called the pump people.

Pump guy showed up mid-morning and found the tank full. It turned out there are two pumps in a well system: one that moves water from the well to the tank, and one that pressurizes the water so that it will feed all the sinks and so on in the house. The latter one was dead, and is now merely dying; he'll replace it tomorrow.

Oh sweet relief. The homeowner's life is one of emotional jolts. Meanwhile, we have a plumber coming either today or tomorrow to figure out what's wrong with the toilet valve. It had been cranky for some weeks, we replaced it, it stayed cranky, and now if you dump water into the tank it all flows down into the bowl immediately. If we have to replace it, I won't grieve, because it's a builder's special. I will lobby for a Toto or equivalent.

Just replace the entire toilet. You've already got a plumber coming out, it's going to take him equally long to diagnose the valve as it will for him to swap the whole thing.

Go pick up one of these, and throw the builder grade poo poo to the curb.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It takes like three minutes to replace the float valve on a toilet if you've done it before, probably less if you don't care about getting water everywhere. They sell them as an all in one universal unit for like $12

Maybe I'm misreading your advice but I can't fathom replacing the entire toilet over a float valve assembly... That probably doesn't even come with a new toilet :psyduck:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 30, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I never pass up an opportunity to get a more uncloggable toilet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The closest Home Depot or plumbing store to me is a three-hour round-trip. We had already replaced the float valve ourselves; the problem is that standard float valves do not seal in this model, nor do "universal" ones. The plumbers will have to special-order one. When my husband gets home, we can talk about whether it makes sense to drive to [SmallCity] to get a new toilet.

The plumber strongly recommended Kohler; is American Standard as good?

e: The issue with the flapper is that this toilet tank is wide and shallow. There isn't enough water pressure over the flapper to reliably seal it to the ceramic underneath. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We'll need the manufacturer's flapper to make it work at all. Whether to get a new one is, again, a joint decision.

ee: I had the plumber out because when my husband tested the tank in the middle of the night, water poured into the tank immediately left for the toilet bowl, without passing Go. We were concerned that the seal between the tank and the bowl was broken. This proved not to be the case.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 30, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would say 80% of all public urinals I've ever pissed in, have been American standards, but maybe Kohler has a lock on the NE market I don't know about

Either should be fine

Fake edit: get a toilet that's rated in hot dogs or pool balls, you're worth it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

It takes like three minutes to replace the float valve on a toilet if you've done it before, probably less if you don't care about getting water everywhere. They sell them as an all in one universal unit for like $12

Maybe I'm misreading your advice but I can't fathom replacing the entire toilet over a float valve assembly... That probably doesn't even come with a new toilet :psyduck:

He did already; I'm betting that the issue is with the tank ring that the flapper valve seals against. For that, you have to pull the tank, and procure a giant fuckoff wrench capable of turning a 5"+ nut on the bottom, replace it & the bottom tank doughnut gasket. Depending on the age & condition of the toilet, the tank-to-base bolts may be shot.

It's not a job just anyone can do, and is rife with pitfalls. For anyone not comfortable pulling a toilet as part of their skill-set, it might be easier to replace the toilet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Moving into theory crafting territory, can't you just buy a second kit, cut out the flapper valve.... O ring flapper part, hollow out the middle, then very liberally bathroom silicone seal it to the bottom of the tank. I guess at that point you're building an adapter, but $15 in parts and $10 in sealant kicks that can down the road another 25 years

I guess if you're paying a plumber $200/hr plus travel costs, a new $300 toilet isn't a significant factor in all this

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

If you're replacing it with a new one... Pull harder.

Important update: after overthinking this thermostat situation for weeks, and after quite a few beers last night, I just pulled really really hard on the thermostat and the front part came off the wall and revealed the wires underneath and the underlying mount! And I have a common wire apparently! Going to be very easy to replace with a better version.

Thanks everyone. *salutes*

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

gp2k posted:

Important update: after overthinking this thermostat situation for weeks, and after quite a few beers last night, I just pulled really really hard on the thermostat and the front part came off the wall and revealed the wires underneath and the underlying mount! And I have a common wire apparently! Going to be very easy to replace with a better version.

House Ownership: When in doubt, have a few beers and just pull really hard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gp2k posted:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

gp2k posted:

LOL I can't believe after two months this paid off.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The plumber strongly recommended Kohler; is American Standard as good?

Spend the money, buy a Toto, never plunge a toilet again :hai:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ROJO posted:

Spend the money, buy a Toto, never plunge a toilet again :hai:

The Toto Vespin came highly rated in a luxury property I worked on, it has a unique flow routing in the bowl. It's not cheap but you can spend a lot more too. $600-700. They also are designed to look natural with the Washlet bidet.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Does anyone have experience with the Dumond Peel Away stuff on… stuff? It’s expensive as hell but, if it actually works, seems worth the price compared to scraping and chemicals.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bobcats posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Dumond Peel Away stuff on… stuff? It’s expensive as hell but, if it actually works, seems worth the price compared to scraping and chemicals.
Union painters I work with use peel away. It can take up to 24 hours to work on some industrial stuff and lead, it probably works faster residential stuff.
I think it creates fumes that are not fun, but yeah it works, or it will over time +second application.

We also use needle guns to remove rust or paint for metal, but again that's on industrial stuff and possibly after peel away is applied.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
The Peel Away products are supposed to be especially good when you have multiple coats, they seem to be used a lot on historical restorations for that reason. There are several versions, and they're all still chemical strippers so you're not avoiding that but using them with the paper is supposed to be a little cleaner and more convenient while also allowing the stripper to stay wet and work on the coatings longer. I don't know all the different versions off the top of my head, but there's a Peel Away 1, Peel Away 2, etc. There are some biodegradable and safer/greener versions in there and some require neutralization after use so do your research on whichever one you might get or have available to you.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Moving into theory crafting territory, can't you just buy a second kit, cut out the flapper valve.... O ring flapper part, hollow out the middle, then very liberally bathroom silicone seal it to the bottom of the tank. I guess at that point you're building an adapter, but $15 in parts and $10 in sealant kicks that can down the road another 25 years...

They actually make a repair kit; it uses butyl tape adhered to the underside of a flat ring, followed by the rest of what you described.

(sorry about the MallWart link): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Korky-20...edSellerId=1609

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

WTF kind of toilets are you buying that don't come with all the internals? I've never seen that before!

I suggested replacing it, because having a nice comfort height elongated toilet is a nice upgrade over the builder grade poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

WTF kind of toilets are you buying that don't come with all the internals? I've never seen that before!

I suggested replacing it, because having a nice comfort height elongated toilet is a nice upgrade over the builder grade poo poo.

Why have a builder grade poo poo when you can have an upgraded poo poo: House Ownership

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

gp2k posted:

current thread title is pretty good but I didn't follow the thermostat saga.

you guys want this? is it time for a change?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Absolutely

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have my own thermostat saga brewing.

My HVAC unit died as soon as I bought the house, I got a trane unit because they offered 0% interest and I thought maybe it would be quieter.

It worked great for 3 years but a few weeks after the last service my thermostat would reboot intermittently and it would maybe short cycle, they fix it under warranty and it happens again, and again.
Today is the fourth time they have been out and after the 2nd my wife told them I shouldn't have to pay you labor this time and they honored that.

The third time they suspected that the wiring leading to the unit was tacked really tight next to (the duct?) And possibly vibrating (translated from wife speak)

This time they are still stumped and want to rerun the Romex or whatever leading to it...

Now my wife informs me it's a "weird puzzle box" is bad. So I ask her like a "mechanical brain, in the unit?"
E: it's a contactor that went bad supposedly.

Here's hoping that fixes it.
My dad was an appliance repairman for 30 and knows heat and air as well but I didn't inherit all his knowledge and he's not well enough to help.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 1, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, Word of Plumber: Our Cato toilet was part of the first wave of 1.28 toilets. Different toilets had different solutions of how to get a big flush from a small amount of water. Our toilet's tank, for whatever reason, is built wide and shallow. That means that flappers that depend on water weight to push them down after the handle is pulled won't work well: there isn't enough water above the flapper to begin with.

I have spent a lot of time shopping for big-ticket items (car, refrigerator, computer) recently, and I'm not looking forward to doing thorough research for a toilet. Kicking that one into the new year, I think.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, Word of Plumber: Our Cato toilet was part of the first wave of 1.28 toilets. Different toilets had different solutions of how to get a big flush from a small amount of water. Our toilet's tank, for whatever reason, is built wide and shallow. That means that flappers that depend on water weight to push them down after the handle is pulled won't work well: there isn't enough water above the flapper to begin with.

I have spent a lot of time shopping for big-ticket items (car, refrigerator, computer) recently, and I'm not looking forward to doing thorough research for a toilet. Kicking that one into the new year, I think.

This makes me wonder if anyone has tried a fully functional private toilet showroom. You could offer someone a big plate of mixed fruits (peeled banana, small apples, a smoothie) as they walk in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No need to waste a bunch of time with research. Mr. Terry Love knows more about toilets than just about anyone. Buy what he recommends that's in your price range.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php

Toto Drake or another Toto that suits your liking is going to be a great way to go. If you have to have something you can pick up at the local home depot the American Standard Champion is a decent toilet.

Everyone's pretty much got the low water usage flush figured out though so it's nowhere near as bad as when the first gen of 1.6 and 1.28G toilets came out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My Toto Aquia IV flushes better with just the 0.8 gallon flush than my old American Standard did with 5 gallons. It's crazy how good it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My house came with Totos and they're all legit but one seems to have something inbetween a round bowl and an elongated bowl and I'm concerned about what this means for fancy bidet upgrades