Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The espresso double shot recipe I always see passed around is 14 g grounds to make a 2 fl oz (60 ml) shot. But the water ratio ought to be 1:2, right? Isn't that recipe over twice as long as it should be?

1:2 ratio is based on weight.

14g grounds > 28g espresso (or more often now it’s 18g:36g or 20g:40g)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

1:2 ratio is based on weight.

14g grounds > 28g espresso (or more often now it’s 18g:36g or 20g:40g)

Yeah, I do everything by weight and I've been doing just that, 14g > 28g espresso.

The "2 fl oz" passed around is 60 g so that seems just insanely off the mark.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The espresso double shot recipe I always see passed around is 14 g grounds to make a 2 fl oz (60 ml) shot. But the water ratio ought to be 1:2, right? Isn't that recipe over twice as long as it should be?

Article from the SCA about this. The recipe you quote comes from the “heritage” definition of espresso:

quote:

Before exploring the results of the study, it is essential to have a frame of reference. Below is the heritage Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) definition of espresso:

“Espresso is a 25–35ml (.85–1.2 ounce [×2 for double]) beverage prepared from 7–9 grams (14–18 grams for a double) of coffee through which clean water of 195°–205°F (90.5°–96.1°C) has been forced at 9–10 atmospheres of pressure, and where the grind of the coffee is such that the brew time is 20–30 seconds. While brewing, the flow of espresso will appear to have the viscosity of warm honey and the resulting beverage will exhibit a thick, dark golden crema. Espresso should be prepared specifically for and immediately served to its intended consumer.”

They surveyed baristas, most of whom were pulling 1:2:

quote:

An overwhelming 93% of respondents considered the espresso they pull to be a double shot. In subsequent discussions about the results at a recent Barista Camp in the US interesting conversations about this terminology emerged: several baristas noted that single/double measures are no longer valid and a number of respondents refer to any espresso extraction as a shot, no matter the volume or mass.

The majority of respondents reported their lowest dose as 18 grams and their highest at 20 grams. This was consistent with the amount of the “average dose”: 66% reported this amount to be between 18 and 20 grams.

An overwhelming 82% used weight to measure espresso yield. Measured by weight, the average output for espresso extraction was 36.5 grams. For those measuring by volume, the average output was 1.8 ounces or 74.2 milliliters. Addressing ratio: for every gram of input espresso grounds, how many grams of output beverage are obtained? The average response was 1:2, for example, 20 grams in and 40 grams out. All responses ranged from 1:1.5–1:2.5.

So you’re seeing a difference between the “heritage” recipe and the common recipe used in the industry.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

hypnophant posted:

Article from the SCA about this. The recipe you quote comes from the “heritage” definition of espresso:

They surveyed baristas, most of whom were pulling 1:2:

So you’re seeing a difference between the “heritage” recipe and the common recipe used in the industry.

This is very helpful and cool!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

https://youtu.be/v5WQ1sZzW4o

Some more tips on preheating here. Going to add that the hario switch is really easy to pre-heat thanks to the switch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TengenNewsEditor posted:

That's not correct, usually it's 18g in and 40g out roughly for a double. Notice they're both weight measurements, it's likely the specific gravity of espresso is not meaningfully different from water but just use grams IMO.

e;fb

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

That's not correct, usually it's 18g in and 40g out roughly for a double. Notice they're both weight measurements, it's likely the specific gravity of espresso is not meaningfully different from water but just use grams IMO.

e;fb

The volume difference is due to the bubbles in the crema I'd expect. The specific gravity of espresso isn't really meaningfully different to water and 1g would be =1mL if it weren't for the additional volume of air. It's still a little different, but at this size it's more a rounding error.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Pre-ground is objectively worse than using a capresso infinity or encore at the time of brewing (non espresso). You can easily modify the infinity making it stepless, I've been using the same small area of adjustment for years with my v60. You won't be using a wide range of grind settings for drip/pour over anyway.

http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/2009/04/modifying-capresso-infinity-for.html

Hmm, that's an interesting situation. The v60 is the second most grind sensitive brewing method I can think of after espresso because the bottom hole is so drat big. Minute changes in grind will have large swings in extraction.

I've never seen grind distribution data for an encore but here is something for the Baratza Sette(3x the price, same mfg):

and a link to the source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSKYHLEDuL_/

"Pre-ground is objectively worse than..."

To clarify my statement a bit, I'll assert that preground coffee less than a week old on a high quality commercial grinder will taste noticeably better in most immersion style brewers. The v60 has to be dialed in very tightly for the coffee to really shine, so I'm not sure you'd be able to do that UNLESS you have a cafe near you that offers pour-overs from a v60. Then you could just have the coffee ground to whatever they are doing and test my assertion.

On another topic, has anyone done this before: https://leaderboard.coffee/en-us ?

This is the first season I'll have actually tasted all the coffees within the time limit to submit answers. It's been a lot of fun and a refreshing exercise to get out of my coffee bubble. Registrations for the next season opened today...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GoodluckJonathan posted:

On another topic, has anyone done this before: https://leaderboard.coffee/en-us ?

This is the first season I'll have actually tasted all the coffees within the time limit to submit answers. It's been a lot of fun and a refreshing exercise to get out of my coffee bubble. Registrations for the next season opened today...

haven't done leaderboard but have been blind tasting my way through kaffebox's advent calendar and it's a pretty wild ride

they haven't put them up online to confirm what's what but i am drinking a coffee that looks washed but smelled more like thyme and oregano than anything i've ever tried before and now is really intensely like rose/violet in the cup. truly no idea what it might be, clearly went through some aggressive/nonstandard fermentation process though

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just took delivery of my robot and want to try it out.

Does anyone here use a steel burr Baratza Vario for grinding for espresso? What grind setting do you use as a starting point?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

MetaJew posted:

I just took delivery of my robot and want to try it out.

Does anyone here use a steel burr Baratza Vario for grinding for espresso? What grind setting do you use as a starting point?

Post pics!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I was too excited to take pictures of the shot I pulled but I think it was pretty alright!

I have my Baratza Vario W set to the factory "contact" point of 2Q. Just assuming that espresso would require a very fine grind, I tried to initially set the grinder go 1K (or whatever the midpoint of the fine adjustment is). I set the grind weight to 17 grams and started it. I guess either the grind size was too fine or something wasn't flowing because at 1x it was grinding either a very small fraction of a gram per second or nothing at all. The scale was not moving while the grinder spun. I stepped the grind size up to 2K and it started grinding, but it was still extremely slow. Eventually it seemed like whatever contents were between the burrs made it out and it eventually stopped grinding at 16.7 or so grams. The annoyance with the Vario W is that it will tend to stop grinding once the weight reaches about 0.3 grams less than the set amount. If you're a real nerd you can tap the "start" button a few times and it will eventually reach that round number, but it probably doesn't matter.

Followed James Hoffman's early recipe of 17 grams of grounds, and measured 60 grams into the basket. Tried to do a pre infusion so light pressure until I started seeing a few drops into my cup. Waited maybe 10 seconds, and then pulled with what I thought was high pressure, but I think I only hit 6 bar on the gauge. I failed to measure how many grams of espresso I got out. I'll try to next time.

The texture was thick, a little tart, but not extremely sour. Maybe extraction could be better, or I could apply more pressure. Honestly not bad for a first try. Unfortunately I'm now almost totally out of beans, so I need to go buy more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Don’t worry about measuring the amount of water in the basket…just fill it until it’s 5-8mm from the top.

This will affect a few things:

1) you’ll need a spare cup for the remaining water after you pull the shot

2) you won’t have to tamp as hard or potentially grind as fine since the extra water will create more pressure on its own.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

MetaJew posted:

I was too excited to take pictures of the shot I pulled but I think it was pretty alright!

I have my Baratza Vario W set to the factory "contact" point of 2Q. Just assuming that espresso would require a very fine grind, I tried to initially set the grinder go 1K (or whatever the midpoint of the fine adjustment is). I set the grind weight to 17 grams and started it. I guess either the grind size was too fine or something wasn't flowing because at 1x it was grinding either a very small fraction of a gram per second or nothing at all. The scale was not moving while the grinder spun. I stepped the grind size up to 2K and it started grinding, but it was still extremely slow. Eventually it seemed like whatever contents were between the burrs made it out and it eventually stopped grinding at 16.7 or so grams. The annoyance with the Vario W is that it will tend to stop grinding once the weight reaches about 0.3 grams less than the set amount. If you're a real nerd you can tap the "start" button a few times and it will eventually reach that round number, but it probably doesn't matter.

Followed James Hoffman's early recipe of 17 grams of grounds, and measured 60 grams into the basket. Tried to do a pre infusion so light pressure until I started seeing a few drops into my cup. Waited maybe 10 seconds, and then pulled with what I thought was high pressure, but I think I only hit 6 bar on the gauge. I failed to measure how many grams of espresso I got out. I'll try to next time.

The texture was thick, a little tart, but not extremely sour. Maybe extraction could be better, or I could apply more pressure. Honestly not bad for a first try. Unfortunately I'm now almost totally out of beans, so I need to go buy more.

Awesome. I can't offer much advice as I don't have mine yet, but I plan to use the orphan espresso prep system. Seems reasonably priced and a good way to remove some variables.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Cafelat-Robot-Espresso-Prep-System--Complete_p_224.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dArHOXnxEEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRk2mnzYyXk

Just watched the video for the first time and isn't realize the oak stand is sized to fit ALL of the robot stuff, not just self leveling screen tamper and whatnot.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 1, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Second shot I've pulled with the robot. I did go ahead and buy the orphan espresso little system for it. This time I remembered to use both the top and bottom paper filter. It has a little less mouth feel, maybe?

Still tart or fruity. This was with a Tanzania peaberry roasted at Central Market with they claim a fairly light roast.

I put in ~17g coffee, 60g water into the basket, and pulled ~43.5g of espresso. I forgot to look at the little timer on my hario scale to see how long that took. Doesn't matter. I turned this one into an Americano to have with an almond croissant.

https://i.imgur.com/jXUcRiq.mp4

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 1, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How old are the beans and are you preheating the piston?

I’ve heard you generally want 1-2 weeks after the roast date to hit the sweet spot for grinding and brewing. On my coffee it’s definitely a little rough if I use it 4/5 days after roasting but gets better after that time.

I do darker roasts so I don’t bother preheating most the time, but I’ve heard it can be worthwhile on lighter roasts. I’ll usually just do it if it’s early in the morning and the house is cold. I bought a silicon 58mm flush disc off Amazon like this:

Backflush Disc – Blind Insert for Espresso Machine – Food-Grade Silicone – 3 Size Variations – Compatible with Cleaning Tablets and Powder – Wide Compatibility – (58mm) https://a.co/d/hidPnNn

You can also just put boiling water in a cup and submerge the piston in it for 30 seconds if you want to give it a try.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Just get an aeropress and a scale you freaks.

We have an aeropress! It's great. But sometimes we want drip coffee, you know?

Anyway thanks thread for the drip coffee maker recommendations, I'm going to give a strong consideration to a Moccamaster

e: Apparently their carafes are not dishwasher safe, I was hoping a metal carafe would be safe :\

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 2, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Metal is probably often the least dishwasher safe because many alloys will oxidize in there (think mixer whisks).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like Seattle Coffee Gear has the Moccamaster KB on sale for $263 right now.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/technivorm-moccamaster-kb741-coffee-maker?sku=CDR499A0140
And the Moccamaster KBT is on sale for $271
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/technivorm-moccamaster-kbt741-coffee-maker?sku=CDR499A0100

I might buy the KBT (I like the thermal design) and a reusable cone filter as a christmas gift for the SO, going to sleep on it though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 2, 2022

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, I'm giving up on the idea of getting a Moccamaster and I'll go for a hand grinder for my french press (and eventually for pour over). My current grinder is not very good. Any recommendations? OP recommends the Hario Mini Mill Slim and the Hario Skerton, but the post is from 2011, so anything newer that I should look for? The price of the Harios are not very high, so it might be a good option.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Average Lettuce posted:

Hey, I'm giving up on the idea of getting a Moccamaster and I'll go for a hand grinder for my french press (and eventually for pour over). My current grinder is not very good. Any recommendations? OP recommends the Hario Mini Mill Slim and the Hario Skerton, but the post is from 2011, so anything newer that I should look for? The price of the Harios are not very high, so it might be a good option.

How many grams of coffee do you need to grind?

I’d recommend this but it’s capacity is 25g which could be low for a French press

KINGrinder K1 Iron Grey Manual Hand Coffee Grinder 140 Adjustable Grind Settings for Aeropress, French Press, Drip, Espresso with Assembly Consistency Stainless Steel Conical Burr Mill, 25g Capacity https://a.co/d/i6G25yQ

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

nwin posted:

How many grams of coffee do you need to grind?

I’d recommend this but it’s capacity is 25g which could be low for a French press

KINGrinder K1 Iron Grey Manual Hand Coffee Grinder 140 Adjustable Grind Settings for Aeropress, French Press, Drip, Espresso with Assembly Consistency Stainless Steel Conical Burr Mill, 25g Capacity https://a.co/d/i6G25yQ

Thanks for the recommendation. I usually only grind 14 grams at a time, so it should be fine!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Average Lettuce posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I usually only grind 14 grams at a time, so it should be fine!

Yeah you aren’t going to get a better grinder than the one I posted for the price it’s on sale for now.

The OP lists grinders that were decent 10 years ago. Since then, 1zpresso and king grinder have obliterated the market, in a good way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use a 1zpresso JX for my pour over and french press and it's great.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Robot update: Tried to go a little finer on the "fine" setting of my Vario W and choked the shot.

I backed off back to where I was grinding and it pulled fine. Still don't know if I'm making "good" espresso, but it's not bad. Maybe I will need an espresso grinder. :X

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Robot update: Tried to go a little finer on the "fine" setting of my Vario W and choked the shot.

I backed off back to where I was grinding and it pulled fine. Still don't know if I'm making "good" espresso, but it's not bad. Maybe I will need an espresso grinder. :X

Since you already have a nice electric grinder, you could go for a nice espresso level hand grinder? Or if you can afford it a nice single dose electric grinder!

On another note, I decided to try some place other than sweet marias.. ordered 5lbs each of a Rwanda and Ugandan from happy mug in preparation for my kaffelogic and robot. I usually just order an 8lb sampler from SM, but I think I'll need to start doing less variety and higher quantity if I plan on actually learning both the KL and Robot at the same time.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

We have an aeropress! It's great. But sometimes we want drip coffee, you know?

Anyway thanks thread for the drip coffee maker recommendations, I'm going to give a strong consideration to a Moccamaster

e: Apparently their carafes are not dishwasher safe, I was hoping a metal carafe would be safe :\

Does the aeropress not produce a large enough drip coffee for you? 20g coffee, 300ml water = too small? I only use aeropress for drip these days so just curious about the "we want drip coffee".

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Since you already have a nice electric grinder, you could go for a nice espresso level hand grinder? Or if you can afford it a nice single dose electric grinder!

Yeah my brother has been sending me the pre-order/deposit links for Kafetek. :20bux: :20bux:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Before diving into another grinder you can try getting the pressurized basket and seeing the difference. The other basket will allow for you to grind a bit coarser so you won't necessarily need an espresso level grinder

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Affogato for breakfast!

Gelatiamo sweet cream gelato, Seven Roaster's Choice Espresso Blend.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Add a little whiskey and make it a secret breakfast

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds very much up my alley, but ever since I went on psych meds I've been strictly no booze.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How does one practice latte art without wasting a bunch of coffee and milk?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Enjoy the failures? I still suck at latte art. I usually do cappuccinos on the weekends so I only get 2-3 tries a week.

It’s only gotten somewhat better with the lithium nanofoamer, but I suck at moving the frothing pitcher correctly to get the right swirl down.

Maybe I’ll figure it out in another year or two…no rush on my end though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Google Butt posted:

mix spent grounds and water for the “coffee,”water and a little dish soap in a blender for the “milk,” and go to town. won’t be exactly the same but you can get practice the basics

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Saved this the other day when doing research. Haven't watched it yet so buyer beware!

https://youtu.be/KxAvYoymUbM

Forewarning - using a nanofoamer is hard mode. Some folks can just get it, others like me struggle a lot (though I have the AA version). When I try a real steam wand at my friendly neighborhood café, it's much easier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Does the aeropress not produce a large enough drip coffee for you? 20g coffee, 300ml water = too small? I only use aeropress for drip these days so just curious about the "we want drip coffee".

I think of aeropress coffee as being different from drip coffee - the taste is different for sure.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

You know what I've realized?

I love coffee y'all

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

it's good and I wish I could drink it all day without fear of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Forewarning - using a nanofoamer is hard mode. Some folks can just get it, others like me struggle a lot (though I have the AA version). When I try a real steam wand at my friendly neighborhood café, it's much easier.

Yeah it’s real easy to get the right texture with a steam wand. The nanofoamer does a decent job of making foam, but it doesn’t seem to be as easy to get decent microfoam from one of those things compared to what I can do with my steam wand.