Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome! Don't feel bad getting out there and just using the program auto modes for now and letting the camera do the heavy lifting for you. There's some recent posts in the general photography questions thread about getting started with a new camera and they'll hopefully be helpful.

Now post cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Thank you! No cats yet, but I can offer a bird, some sticks, a goat, Two Blokes, and a catsnake. Which is sort of the same. Please enjoy my extremely basic "first go on a camera" content

(He's behind baas, geddit???)

I've also set it up to stream with and hoo boy what a difference it's made already (excuse the terrible hair. Or don't I'm not the boss of you)

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1535956206119968774

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We had a picnic with some carrot cake. Carrot taste could not be found, but cake was good. I took some test photos with the Ttartisan 11/2.8 mirrorless fisheye lens.

Friend had a soviet Helios lens in his camera. I took a few photos with his camera and he sent me these. The lens has massive, massive haze and poor resolution, nervous bokeh with clear edges.. I haven't seen a lens with worse coatings. Last photo is OOF and first photo doesn't have the best expression. I think I took a photo with a good smile tho since friend's camera was on continous shooting instead of single shot.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 30, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That moment you find out that the Flickr plugin for Lightroom Classic has the JPG compression slider and it's been set to 70% by default the entire time and you've been angry at Flickr for compressing the poo poo out of everything.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That moment when you republish photos and for some reason half of your content on Flickr disappears because of some Lightroom/Flickr desync.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The flickr plugin is rear end, just good enough to make you think it's the answer but nowhere good enough to rely on.

I do it all manually, export to my cloud folder so I can have all my pictures everywhere then drag and drop into flickr.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'll probably go that route if it fails on me again. Right now, it's fully synced up and the images look fine finally. I think I was just trying to redo too much at once and moving crap around in Lightroom and everything got confused. I wouldn't have minded so much other than it renamed some of the titles and I had to reidentify a pile of dragonflies and butterflies, and then had to reupload others and reidentify those as well.

I should probably be putting this poo poo in the metadata somewhere, but I hate the library mode in Lightroom to do that.

Edit: Duh, it has the title under the Default dropdown.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 16, 2022

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Kind of a weird request here, so bear with me, I wasn't sure where to post this. My brother passed away about two months ago, and he was one of those people who felt like he didn't photograph well, so there aren't a ton of pictures of him around. He did take one self-portrait that he loved, and I'd love to be able to print it and frame it. The problem is he took it a few years ago on an absolute shitbox of an iPhone and it's 1280X960 or thereabouts, or at least that's the largest version of it saved in his iCloud. I know upscaling is a thing, but what's about the maximum I can expect to be able to do with a picture that small? If I have to frame a blurry-rear end mess I'll do it just because I don't have much else, but I've got zero experience with this and would really like some guidance.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

kazmeyer posted:

Kind of a weird request here, so bear with me, I wasn't sure where to post this. My brother passed away about two months ago, and he was one of those people who felt like he didn't photograph well, so there aren't a ton of pictures of him around. He did take one self-portrait that he loved, and I'd love to be able to print it and frame it. The problem is he took it a few years ago on an absolute shitbox of an iPhone and it's 1280X960 or thereabouts, or at least that's the largest version of it saved in his iCloud. I know upscaling is a thing, but what's about the maximum I can expect to be able to do with a picture that small? If I have to frame a blurry-rear end mess I'll do it just because I don't have much else, but I've got zero experience with this and would really like some guidance.

You might consider trying one of those fractal-interpolation upscalers, like Topaz Gigapixel or On1. 1280x960 isn't a whole lot to work with, barely more than a megapixel, but all the demos and reviews I've seen of that technology says "it's way better than you might expect". Both have free demos available for you to play with, so I would try them out and see which gets you better/acceptable results. If that's "neither" then you're just out an hour or two of download and processing time. I've heard claims of reasonably high-quality 6x-6.5x pixel increase on both, so... if you're lucky you could get up to a 300dpi 8x10, plus or minus a bit?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I own Topaz Gigapixel AI and I sent you a PM. I don't really use it too much, and I'm not familiar with printing requirements etc, but I've run really old photos of friends and myself that looked like absolute butt and they came out amazing. I can give your photo a try if you'd like.

That goes for anyone else as well. Send me a PM. I don't mind, within reason.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Lightroom (or was it photoshop?) has a really good upsizing engine now too, give that a shot.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Ten years ago or so, The Dorkroom had a wedding photography thread. Does anyone here shoot weddings, still?

I'm thinking of trying to get a couple gigs as a second shooter to see if it's something I could pursue further. How do you find wedding photographers who need a second shooter? I live in the greater Seattle area, if it matters.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I got to a point where I followed enough local people that every other month or so somebody will be looking for a second shooter. Probably not the best way to go about it but it's a start.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lens durability test results!

the sigma 35mm 1.4, notoriously made of plastic, filled with sensitive focus-by-wire and aperture motors:
flew out of a bag in a mosh pit to land a good 10-15ft away on a concrete floor. worked fine for months after, eventually needed a $100 motor repair as whatever initial injury it incurred finally brought it down

the voigtlander 110mm, with an all-metal body and fully mechanical unmotorized focus and aperture controls:
promptly detached the aperture blade/rear element/mount segment partway from the rest of the lens, to awkwardly hang halfway outside its housing, after a modest two-foot tumble onto a hardwood floor

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

VSOKUL girl posted:

lens durability test results!

the sigma 35mm 1.4, notoriously made of plastic, filled with sensitive focus-by-wire and aperture motors:
flew out of a bag in a mosh pit to land a good 10-15ft away on a concrete floor. worked fine for months after, eventually needed a $100 motor repair as whatever initial injury it incurred finally brought it down

the voigtlander 110mm, with an all-metal body and fully mechanical unmotorized focus and aperture controls:
promptly detached the aperture blade/rear element/mount segment partway from the rest of the lens, to awkwardly hang halfway outside its housing, after a modest two-foot tumble onto a hardwood floor

Do the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 next!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've decided we should do a Christmas print swap so here's the thread to join in: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014463

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

lmfao, this battery grip added like a 1 lb and lasted only 200~ shots. It's just 6 AA's in serial.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toalpaz posted:

lmfao, this battery grip added like a 1 lb and lasted only 200~ shots. It's just 6 AA's in serial.

The 6 aa use it not ideal. It's really built for the two canon lithiums. Having the AA option is nice in the field, but not it's real use.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

torgeaux posted:

The 6 aa use it not ideal. It's really built for the two canon lithiums. Having the AA option is nice in the field, but not it's real use.

oh, lol!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, there's a decent deal on the Topaz software for Black Friday. I don't generally think their sharpen is magic on recovering out of focus images, but I wondered if the suite was worth it in general.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It all works really well, but i've mostly stopped using it. I enjoy the noise on photos now, and if something is too blurry, I just nuke it anyway. The image enlarger is voodoo cool, but it's for stuff like old family photos which is like once a year. I mostly just apply a custom color profile and I'm done.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Philthy posted:

It all works really well, but i've mostly stopped using it. I enjoy the noise on photos now, and if something is too blurry, I just nuke it anyway. The image enlarger is voodoo cool, but it's for stuff like old family photos which is like once a year. I mostly just apply a custom color profile and I'm done.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna pass. I see it as something I'd end up almost never using.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Managed to develop 3 rolls of TMX100 and the 2 Cinestill rolls I took back in August, had to mix new c41 developer but happy I cleared my backlog. I love how flat Kodak film dries, with Ilford it's always a struggle although steaming the bathroom before drying helps. All of that means I'll be able to start scanning tomorrow, hopefully post will go well enough. I'm wondering if the color of my Portra 400 rolls I was agonizing over a while back had anything to do with my developer being old, I don't remember if it was fresh or if the date on the bottle was accurate, if it was it surely could explain a few things.

My other project would be a self portrait, maybe I can start tomorrow. I've been putting that off for at least a year.

Here's a picture of film drying, because why not.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Ok, there's a decent deal on the Topaz software for Black Friday. I don't generally think their sharpen is magic on recovering out of focus images, but I wondered if the suite was worth it in general.

I've ended up using all 3 (Sharpen/Gigapixel/DeNoise). I probably use DeNoise the most because I often shoot at stupidly high ISO. It's way more effective than the the noise reduction in Lightroom. Sharpen doesn't work miracles but there are times it can salvage an OOF or blurry photo, and if you want to take the time on an already-pretty-good photo it's probably a little better than Lightroom. I haven't used Gigapixel as much or compared it to the LR Enhance-supersize or whatever it is. Sometimes it works like a charm making something out of heavily cropped images but definitely look at your OOF areas because I've had it put weird patches instead of nice subtle bokeh on occasion.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Has anyone moved/starting using Mastodon? I never got into Instagram and have been looking for a place to share with other photographers. I set up my own instance a few days ago and have it running well enough, if anyone has questions about it I could probably help out.

quote:

Mastodon is free and open-source software for running self-hosted social networking services. It has microblogging features similar to the Twitter service, which are offered by a large number of independently run nodes, known as instances, each with its own code of conduct, terms of service, privacy policy, privacy options, and moderation policies.[6][7][8]

Each user is a member of a specific Mastodon instance (also called a server), which can interoperate as a federated social network, allowing users on different instances to interact with each other. This is intended to give users the flexibility to select a node whose policies they prefer, but keep access to a larger social network. Mastodon is also part of the Fediverse ensemble of server platforms, which use shared protocols allowing users to also interact with users on other compatible platforms,[9] such as PeerTube and Friendica. Mastodon is crowdfunded and does not contain ads.

The Mastodon mascot is an animal with a trunk, resembling a mastodon or mammoth, sometimes depicted using a tablet or smartphone. Messages posted using the software were formerly known as "toots", although they are now simply called "posts".[10] Mastodon was created by Eugen Rochko and announced on Hacker News in October 2016.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(software)

digitalist fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 30, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

mastodon sucks, it tries very hard to be ~something~ and it fails at being anything.

i've signed up for cohost to experience social media without addictive tech behind it.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

All social media sucks. How does cohost differ from mastodon? Looking through the features they're headed more or less in the same direction, I'll guess they don't have the same federation issues although I would imagine that will be fixed eventually.

edit: I signed up to cohost to have a look and it seems pretty basic but polished enough. I guess I can see what you mean intent, it seems more focused. I'll have to keep an eye on this. As for mastodon it seems like everyone in my field has already migrated toward it so I'll be using it for that if nothing else. If anyone else is using it for photo things and wants to connect, let me know.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 1, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea cohost I think is more organic, and it's apparently built and maintained by communists

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yea cohost I think is more organic, and it's apparently built and maintained by communists

I'm looking through their manifesto and I'm not sure the "apparently" in your sentence is all that necessary.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've moved to Cohost, it's nice. Mastodon sounds like twitter for Linux users who compile their OS from source.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Megabound posted:

I've moved to Cohost, it's nice. Mastodon sounds like twitter for Linux users who compile their OS from source.

:colbert:

Is there a list somewhere of people of people I should follow on cohost? The tags seems sparsely populated.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just looking at #photography and some decent stuff there. I'll give it a shot, I guess. If it dies, it dies. I keep everything on Flickr anyhow.

Edit: lol 25,000 people in front of me waiting to be verified. yikes

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 1, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
On a side note. It's in the mid-teens temp wise now. It's loving cold. It's dark by 4pm. All I want to do is go shoot, but motivation is kaput. Four months of this. Thinking maybe trying more urban stuff since all the wildlife is gone, maybe go to Chicago or Milwaukee over a weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get some long underwear and a scarf, layer up properly and you won't feel the chill. Unless you grew up in warmth. Then you might be screwed.

But I fuckin' love photographing in the cold, I can tell when I'm having fun because I stop feeling the elements. Can't wait for a proper snow to finally hit.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah as someone who's winter is just occasional rain and half-assed greening up I'd love some actual winter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm in the in-between right now. Cold, but not real winter shooting conditions. So, no motivation, it hurts to get out, but haven't got the best elements to make it worth it yet. Soon. Soon.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So what are some winter subjects to focus on? Normally I'm drawn to colors, and right now everything is brown. Soon to be white and brown, and some grey in between. It might make for some really contrasty awesome urban B&W photos. What about hiking? I'm used to finding flowers, moss, etc. The occasional snowscape is going to be cool, but what else do you seek out?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snow creates huge contrast with anything that does not have snow on it, so focus on shapes and lines and stuff. You don't have to make black and white photos, but it helps to think in those terms.

If you can get some fog or hoarfrost or freezing rain subjects should jump out at you all over the place. Frozen waterfalls are always fun.

If you have any nature preserves, coyotes and deer get much easier to find in the snow.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i really love shooting in the winter, especially in places that don't look normally "cold". the day itself is also so much shorter - light closer to the horizon all day - that everything is closer to golden hour. the only downside of course is your fingertips being so goddamn cold it's hard to turn a knob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Many months ago I used a 35mm to 120 take up spool with a roll of Kodak TMax 100. Sadly I screwed up most of the shots, probably because I didn't attach the film to the takeup spool properly (use tape), which may have led to the film getting snagged. I should probably try it again. Thinking back on it it was difficult to estimate what would actually end up in the photo, with more practice I could have probably avoided the trees in the bottom right. Anyway, here's the first photo and probably the best that I got from the roll.

The takeup spool was pretty similar to this one, https://www.printables.com/model/228999-120-takeup-spool-for-35mm-film

digitalist fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 2, 2022