Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
How did TM NZ S3 turn out to be so very bad?

I'm four episodes in and don't think I'll continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It has its moments. I wouldn't say it's bad. Maybe not as memorable as S2.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I criticized Dara earlier, but I do like him overall. I just dislike when people take the easy way out of tasks.

Basically this. I didn’t anticipate it would lead to such a fiery debate haha

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think if everybody did crazy stuff we'd just get less tasks and/or studio banter. It makes me think of that episode in season 10 that's almost entirely that play task dragging on forever. And you need the competent straightforward approach to contrast with the "and now here's Nish" kind of attempts. This season I feel is a real good example where there is just so much crazy going on the editors are spoiled for choice and the episodes feel really full of good stuff with very little filler.

I can totally see it being a matter of taste of course, but I think on the whole the show is better off for having that kind of approach in the mix.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Also, it's very tough to write/develop tasks now that the contestants are aware of many of the "gotchas"

So the moving of goal posts, which was fun in early seasons can't be done, and are now written within the tasks themselves. ("You may not")

Sometimes I think it's because Alex really wants more controlled tasks instead of everybody trying to be "the clever one". But to compensate, he gets more vague - "toss a thing into another thing".

I honestly think much like QI with the need to complete the collection from A-Z, Taskmaster has written itself that it needs to do enough shows to do a champion of champion of champions as the final episode.

I think my favorite tasks that have been "new" are the ones that are set in the garage. It feels different from "lab" even though, it's theoretically just the same "empty box" to create the task.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoever wins Champion of Champion of Champions succeeds Greg as the Taskmaster. It's the only logical way.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

It has its moments. I wouldn't say it's bad. Maybe not as memorable as S2.

Yeah same. S2 set an incredibly high bar, S3 was always going to be a step down.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Trabant posted:

Definitely do continue, the season finishes much stronger than it starts. I was only watching out of obligation for a while but the last few episodes are actually really good.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Also, it's very tough to write/develop tasks now that the contestants are aware of many of the "gotchas"

So the moving of goal posts, which was fun in early seasons can't be done, and are now written within the tasks themselves. ("You may not")

Sometimes I think it's because Alex really wants more controlled tasks instead of everybody trying to be "the clever one". But to compensate, he gets more vague - "toss a thing into another thing".

One interpretation that I like is that they're fine with contestants finding loopholes, so long as they are loopholes that will take us by surprise. Which means closing loopholes that contestants have taken before. We've seen Al Murray getting the furthest distance by taking a taxi, so rule that out before it gets boring. It does mean the tasks get a bit more verbose and slightly narrower, but it's probably better than seeing the same workarounds twice a series every series.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Overall, NZ series 3 doesn’t compare to 2, but it’s got some all-time TM classic moments.

If you want aggressively dull Taskmaster, watch Suurmestari. I didn’t even bother finishing the latest series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Leading to one of the best moments of this latest ep - “Hello Sarah”

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Trabant posted:

If you quit, you'll miss probably the best episode of Taskmaster ever near the end. Easily worth watching for that one.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The part with the best friend and the box is just so good

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If nothing else, there are definitely some great tasks in TMNZ S3.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The trick or treat one is great too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I criticized Dara earlier, but I do like him overall. I just dislike when people take the easy way out of tasks.

Hard agree. I want him to lose this season, but the man is a delight to watch. He does approach some of them more seriously than the other contestants, but he's still fun.

I just like underdog stories and the man's been winning since day one.

TMNZS3 has the buddy episode, which leads into the *great prize task submission ever*, which validates the season on it's own.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Trabant posted:

SCUSE YOUR FUCKIN' MOUTH?! (You won't get this joke.)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Alright, alright -- I'll keep watching! I'm stuck at home with 'rona, it's not like I have anything else to do.

First trip since it all began, fully vaccinated and masked, and finally got hit by the loving thing :negative:

edit:

https://i.imgur.com/ttxC3MX.mp4

Trabant fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There are a couple episodes at the end of TMNZ 2 where Jeremy Wells has the most personality he's ever had in the role. Legitimately having a blast in the studio.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I had also forgotten how amazing the Enchanted Forests were in NZS3.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also amazing: the action film task.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

TMNZ season 3 had a great cast but the tasks were very much lacking. Too much reliance on creative tasks where you have to make a movie, or write a song, or write a play type stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Which NZ season had the saboteur in the three person team task? Because that was a stroke of genius that I was so happy the UK version used.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

LesterGroans posted:

Which NZ season had the saboteur in the three person team task? Because that was a stroke of genius that I was so happy the UK version used.

That was season 2.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Alright, the last few NZ S3 episodes had some all-time moments. Thank you for making me watch it all the way through!

SCUSE YOUR FUCKIN' MOUTH?! (You won't get this joke.)

https://i.imgur.com/MArEaXw.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think NZ3 has my favorite ending studio task of "how many ducks in your bucket?"

"gently caress!"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How are people watching season 14?
Edit: I'm in the USA.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

someone's been uploading them to youtube. they're only 360p, unfortunately, but at least they don't have weird music overlaid on the middle like the nz episodes on youtube do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

redreader posted:

Check the Community section of the profile of "ozmartian" on youtube.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I get them from the panelshow sub on reddit

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Check the Community section of the profile of "ozmartian" on youtube.

That one.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been using Windscribe VPN for both the UK and NZ ones on their websites.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use the PIA VPN with their London Streaming Node

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

redreader posted:

I've been relying on Dailymotion.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently I'm an outlier in being the only one to torrent it? I don't even have to think about it as Sonarr deals with it for me.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I honestly don't know what the :filez: rules are any longer, so I guess I'll risk a sixer and suggest but not link F2 Movies, as that streams pretty much everything (albeit with a day or two delay).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Apparently I'm an outlier in being the only one to torrent it? I don't even have to think about it as Sonarr deals with it for me.

Nah, I do too. Ozmartian had some trouble posting at some point and that brought me back

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Series 14 finale tonight! :toot:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Doctor posted:

Series 14 finale tonight! :toot:

Yes! Snacks and drinks at the ready. Hope we get one more location task - feels like a while since we've seen Gatwick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Also getting next cast lineup at the end