Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember how he was threatening to publicly call out companies who cut their Twitter advertising, and how it was extremely obviously a terrible idea?

Not only has he decided to do it after all, but he picked one heck of a first target.

Picking an Extremely Not Mad public spat with Apple of all companies is a move that has me wondering if he's more high on his own supply than I thought he was.

So rent-seeking is taxation now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

haveblue posted:

I like how this article is almost entirely focused on Apple holding and abusing power and money and not on how Twitter is forcing their hand by being turned into such a shitpile Apple can no longer ignore it by a far more egregious and dangerous abuse of money and power

Journalists are terrified of the idea that rich assholes can have the slightest consequence for their behaviour.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Edit: gently caress, wrong thread. Mea culpa.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1597475865767464961?s=46&t=6uD13uI2BvSQZY5ppxZddw

:unsmigghh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This seems like it won’t end well

https://twitter.com/wired/status/1597320366002610183?s=46&t=9Z1BFALv98P2tH4abwjPtQ

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I get the feeling Musk did some really lovely math to convince himself his idiot schemes to monetize Twitter will save his rear end from those gigantic interest payments, and he's now lashing out at Apple because he didn't factor in their app store cut into that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is it me or did Facebook decide not to give a poo poo about Giving Tuesday this year?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It will end well if the only thing you care about is the destruction of twitter.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Waiting for the inevitable big brain boy Elon tweet, "if you see any child abuse on Twitter, just DM it to me" :allears:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This seems like it won’t end well
That type of job has ultra-high turnover for obvious reasons too so unless they get more it'll be zero before long.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

That type of job has ultra-high turnover for obvious reasons too so unless they get more it'll be zero before long.

Betting Elon isn't the type to provide mental health or counseling to his content screening team either.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rappaport posted:

Waiting for the inevitable big brain boy Elon tweet, "if you see any child abuse on Twitter, just DM it to me" :allears:

Didn't he already do that a week or two ago?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1598031954951213058?s=46&t=s_jJebY8FkF3T0MnTp7i3Q

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Getting my social media platform banned across an entire continent to own the libs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Again, I do not understand why Musk gets to keep Twitter when he paid for it with money he does not have and will never be able to pay back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Again, I do not understand why Musk gets to keep Twitter when he paid for it with money he does not have and will never be able to pay back.

These things don't unfold instantaneously, he gets a chance to try for a while. Eventually it will be determined that he has failed and then we see what happens

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

haveblue posted:

These things don't unfold instantaneously, he gets a chance to try for a while. Eventually it will be determined that he has failed and then we see what happens

How long is the time limit on this? Years? Months?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
First he has to meet payments. If he doesn't, there may be proceedings.

None of this happens quickly or easily because all of it is structured to help the rich

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nothing bad is going to happen to Musk personally. He’s not going to lose his house or have to move to Detroit or whatever, the system has a whole special rule set just for the .01%, and it has no fail state. The worst that happens is that Twitter goes down, the bank never gets its loan back, the government bails out the bank, and some loan manager none of us have ever heard of gets fired.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he only managed to borrow $13b of the purchase price

he's out $20b-30b of actual money out of his pocket (the difference is based on how much of the equity he was able to sell to other suckers, which I don't know offhand and don't know if its public)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

and yeah, when he can't pay back the loan, he loses twitter and the banks own it

he will pay about $1.25b-$1.75b per year for the privilege of staving off the banks until the inevitable turning over the keys to the bank. all in all, he will be out a very considerable amount of money for his year or two loving around with twitter.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
He could also just buy the loan himself or pay it off and he would own it debt free. He would have to sell more Tesla stock though

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

koolkal posted:

He could also just buy the loan himself or pay it off and he would own it debt free. He would have to sell more Tesla stock though

Which has been on an aggressive downward slide since just after he bought twitter, if I remember right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Which has been on an aggressive downward slide since just after he bought twitter, if I remember right.

It’s most likely going to stay on a slide all the while the twitter homepage is replaced by a picture of his entire rear end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

koolkal posted:

Is this closer to the leveraged buyout/firesale scenario?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this closer to the leveraged buyout/firesale scenario?

this would be doubling down on the purchase, throwing an additional $13b (maybe he can secure a discount) after the previous bad money. but it would delever the company because it would eliminate all funded debt, so as long as twitter could generate positive cash flow it wouldn't need to go bankrupt

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mzbundifund posted:

Nothing bad is going to happen to Musk personally. He’s not going to lose his house or have to move to Detroit or whatever

:mad: good we don't want him

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

evilweasel posted:

this would be doubling down on the purchase, throwing an additional $13b (maybe he can secure a discount) after the previous bad money. but it would delever the company because it would eliminate all funded debt, so as long as twitter could generate positive cash flow it wouldn't need to go bankrupt

I see, thanks. I think I’m still struggling to comprehend how thoroughly Musk’s brain is boiled. A competent monster would be able to do so, so much harm with a privately held twitter…

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Unsurprisingly, the exodus of Twitter users to alternative platforms which previously had barely any users hasn't gone that smoothly.

The funniest story so far is that of Hive Social, an iOS-only social network which was particularly beloved by journalists, streamers, and other social media influencers and was thus rapidly growing in popularity - despite a sketchy and secretive leadership team and a number of technical problems.

About a week ago, as a bunch of notables were signing up on Hive so someone else couldn't snipe their username and set up a fake account, a lot of people learned the hard way that Hive doesn't have unique usernames. And no verification system, either - anyone can make an identical copycat account and it's literally impossible to distinguish them.
https://twitter.com/siracusa/status/1595251572656680960

Hive said they were adding a system to address that, but I'm not sure if they've implemented it because we've already moved on to the next technical disaster: they put user authentication on the client side rather than the server side, so anyone who knew how to access the API directly could access other users' accounts as if they were their own. That meant being able to view anyone's private posts and private messages, and even being able to edit other people's posts:
https://twitter.com/zerforschung/status/1598070384825610240

It's apparently not easy to fix either, because it's bad enough that Hive took their entire service down and are planning for the entire thing to be down for days:
https://twitter.com/TheHIVE_Social/status/1598119071907991552

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Hive kinda sucks.

Mastondon is good and could be popular if they just explained the whole "instance" situation better and made that aspect a lot more intuitive.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

Getting my social media platform banned across an entire continent to own the libs.

It helps him frame things as a "battle for free speech" or whatever though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Haven't heard very much the last few days from Musk/Twitter, or the media reacting to it. Has it just been white noise of "meh, you've already done worse" or has he actually been relatively silent?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Hive kinda sucks.

Mastondon is good and could be popular if they just explained the whole "instance" situation better and made that aspect a lot more intuitive.
Can someone just make a clone of Twitter without the Nazis and security holes?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I favor cohost.

Mastadon has terminal FOSS brain and a somewhat stupid culture.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Haven't heard very much the last few days from Musk/Twitter, or the media reacting to it. Has it just been white noise of "meh, you've already done worse" or has he actually been relatively silent?

I think people, especially journos, are starting to put two and two together and realizing there is nothing on the other side of the escape hatch except vacuum, and making Musk or any of his informants mad will get them banned without comment so they're shutting up because that's career suicide. Combine that with the fact that anybody who has actually done the right thing and ditched is no longer part of the conversation (because it's still happening on Twitter) and yeah it makes sense that it feels like it's died down. Musk made a big deal of bringing Kanye back, wonder if anybody is going to ask him for a comment on his Alex Jones interview today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hive on paper sounded OK but clearly it’s just a shitshow

At this point it makes more sense to wait and see where the majority of people go and not rush, or you end up getting compromised

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Being Wealthy is more about convincing other rich people that you are also rich than anything, it's all very ouroboros-like and stupid

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alkydere posted:

There's still new stuff coming out about it pretty much every day, but it's pretty hard to top what he's already done so far. Just in the last week or so, he issued a "general amnesty" for right-wing hatemongers while happily banning whoever Andy Ngo tells him to, he threw a public tantrum about Apple (one of Twitter's biggest advertisers) pulling their ads, and he's holding weekly "code reviews" for literally everyone in the company while the advertiser portal is reportedly falling to pieces behind the scenes. And of course he's still being a reply guy for various right-wingers, and highlighting random things like app store fees as plots to destroy America by destroying free speech..

His current random tangent is being mad that tweets get a lot more views than likes, which he apparently blames on the fact that the audience doesn't believe "likes/RTs don't imply endorsement".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
In a sense, he is right about the nature of likes--a lot of time I'll think something is horrible but I like the tweet because its exposing something horrible or going in depth about it. "I like this" doesn't really cover that.

Blind squirrel finding a nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Main Paineframe posted:

Hive said they were adding a system to address that, but I'm not sure if they've implemented it because we've already moved on to the next technical disaster: they put user authentication on the client side rather than the server side
What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Even the most smooth brained basic rear end engineer in the world should've known this is a terrible goddamn idea, Jesus Christ.