Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

loquacius posted:

not a pejorative statement: My Neighbor Totoro is for little kids. Like, toddlers. The story is lighter because it's on the right level for its intended audience. I have shown it to my two-year-old and would easily do so again, but I would not do this with Spirited Away because I care about her well-being.

Next Ghibli film up w/r/t age is probably Kiki's Delivery Service, which she also liked. Not sure after that -- Porco Rosso maybe? (I haven't seen that one)

ponyo is better for toddlers than Kiki’s delivery service.

totoro is the perfect toddler movie.

surprised the silent “sunrise” is so high on the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The oldest comedies I really appreciate are all Mel Brooks, I think. But they have aged well imo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The oldest comedies I really appreciate are all Mel Brooks, I think. But they have aged well imo

no Chaplin ?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my parents love high anxiety, that's their Vertigo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

i hate that two of my favorite comedies since 2000 have starred ben stiller

Zoolander is GOAT

but yes i'd second most comedy ages like putrefying cum rags. even popular ones like ferris bueller are not really that interesting after one watch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

Zoolander is GOAT

but yes i'd second most comedy ages like putrefying cum rags.

it's my generation's monty python holy grail for incessant quotes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i hate that two of my favorite comedies since 2000 have starred ben stiller

Ben Stiller is really funny

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Substandard posted:

Some Like It Hot and The Apartment are both comedies. You have to be Billy Wilder to get one on the list, apparently.

Modern Times, PlayTime, Singing In the Rain, City Lights

kinda comedies: Pierrot Le Fou, Get Out (horror comedy)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Office space and Dr Strangelove are still good. And Fargo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Starship Troopers counts as a comedy btw. probably Robocop as well

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

ive never even heard of half of these, good grief

they pretty much all either won at Cannes or the Oscars. most of them nominated for several oscars. time to start watching them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

those latter two were the ones I was thinking of originally, along with Groundhog Day

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

but yes i'd second most comedy ages like putrefying cum rags. even popular ones like ferris bueller are not really that interesting after one watch

imo the Jackass movies will prob be the only movies from the past 100 years that people will still find funny 100s of years from now

my comedy pick for my top 10 list would be Wet Hot American Summer tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat the cohens got completely shut out, huh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

Dr Strangelove sure. Office Space is itself a pretty particular time and place that is relatable to a mass of people and a lot of the comedy arrises out of empathizing with the situation. i think in the not too distance future, OS will be completely alien to most people

edit: and just to be clear, that's not a bad thing! infact, it's good things change. and not every movie has to last the test of time forever and ever, and OS was very funny. but i do think we're much farther from OS being funny because it's relatable/lived experiences than not. hell, cubicles are almost unheard of for anyone under 29. and again, that's fine. i'm sure there were 1940-1970 comedies that were a riot when they came out and would do absolutely nothing for me because i don't have that contextual experience.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Dec 1, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

drat the cohens got completely shut out, huh

i feel like they don't have a consensus pick that enough people would have voted for

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

Dr Strangelove sure. Office Space is itself a pretty particular time and place that is relatable to a mass of people and a lot of the comedy arrises out of empathizing with the situation. i think in the not too distance future, OS will be completely alien to most people

fuckin' a

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

no Chaplin ?

Yeah, but I haven't seen enough of his work to put it on a list or anything. Same with Laurel and Hardy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

About time to watch the best holiday comedies:

Scrooged and Bad Santa

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scrooged and Bad Santa

jingle all the way

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the biggest crime of this new S&S list? no marvel movies wtf

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scrooged and Bad Santa

Christmas Vacation (I know this one is divisive)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scrooged and Bad Santa

Substandard posted:

wtf

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chaplin Dictator monologue still slaps

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scrooged and Bad Santa

No notes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Substandard posted:

this is legit a guilty pleasure; however, i, in good faith, could never recommend it to someone

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i feel like they don't have a consensus pick that enough people would have voted for

that feels like what happened with a bunch of directors. no spielberg on there either.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they wanted to elevate female directors so the coens lost out. that's literally two dudes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/kindredfx/status/1597298337715089408?s=46&t=dy4jCVOe7XQ-NkVPIStsZA

Big fan of Octavia Butler and this book was pretty good, hoping the adaptation turns out all right

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why do so many people love Christmas Vacation? It was a big letdown after hearing so many people sing its praises.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

edit: and just to be clear, that's not a bad thing! infact, it's good things change. and not every movie has to last the test of time forever and ever, and OS was very funny. but i do think we're much farther from OS being funny because it's relatable/lived experiences than not. hell, cubicles are almost unheard of for anyone under 29. and again, that's fine. i'm sure there were 1940-1970 comedies that were a riot when they came out and would do absolutely nothing for me because i don't have that contextual experience.

otoh we don’t have to work in a factory to empathize with Little Tramp in Modern Times.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
buster keaton's films have aged very well

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

they wanted to elevate female directors so the coens lost out. that's literally two dudes.

should have the Matrix in there then, two women directors, amazing film

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

jeanne dielman is a good movie but also the literal textbook feminist film from filmschool so it's funny it jumped to #1 cause it kinda feels like tokenism

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

otoh we don’t have to work in a factory to empathize with Little Tramp in Modern Times.

Office Space literally ends with a character quitting his cushy-rear end programmer job to start a career in the idyllic and stress-free field of *checks notes* manual labor.

I've never gotten an (unintentional) message from a film as clearly as I got 'the people who wrote this have never done a day of hard work in their lives' from that scene.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pop culture is full of nazis, time to fix Hollyweird

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Antonymous posted:

jeanne dielman is a good movie but also the literal textbook feminist film from filmschool so it's funny it jumped to #1 cause it kinda feels like tokenism

it definitely is.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why do so many people love Christmas Vacation? It was a big letdown after hearing so many people sing its praises.

I like it a lot, but I love pretty much every John Hughes movie from that era, and although he is a terrible person, I also think most of the Chevy Chase stuff from the 80s is funny (Vacation, Spies Like Us, Fletch). Todd and Margo (the yuppie neighbors) are also pretty great.

I also just don't think there is a ton of competition in the Christmas movie space. I like White Christmas (except for a couple problematic scenes). I think Scrooged is OK. Elf I can sit through, and I have to every year because the rest of my family loves it.

That's about it unless you want to get into Silent Night Deadly Night / Black Christmas / other horror things.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
New Indy movie trailer is out. I thought it wasn't much but looking on Wikipedia brings up the Space Race and how the villain is a Nazi recruited into NASA so I might see it just for that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the real fun will be when the individual S&S lists drops (next month i hear?) and you can see what all the critics and directors voted for