Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jay Rust posted:

? And lose their co-op partner?

If theyre co-oping with a friend or something maybe theyre just using a code and can rejoin easily. The only other explanation is that my internet sucks, and it does, but I dont accept that!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

So I just got the primal glintstone and then the game crashed 10 seconds later. When I logged back in jerren was standing over sellen's body and I no longer have the glintstone. am I hosed?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah probably.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol guess I know what to do on ng+

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i get summoned as a hunter all the time and i'd say my connection drops or some other internet fuckery happens within seconds of being summoned like 1 out of 3 times

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Bro Dad posted:

So I just got the primal glintstone and then the game crashed 10 seconds later. When I logged back in jerren was standing over sellen's body and I no longer have the glintstone. am I hosed?

Try going to Seluvis' dungeon anyway, just in case of a possibility that the quest flag is tied to a value separate from the key item in your inventory itself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Having taken my faith build to the Fire Giant, it’s kinda weird how nonlinear offensive incantation progression is even compared to pyromancies in the other Souls games, let alone sorceries. Like, don’t get me wrong, having different toys to experiment is a blast and I probably prefer this to sorceries having three variants for most of its offensive spell lines that I’ll never consider using, but it still feels slightly underwhelming looking up a guide and realizing there’s a lot of cool ways to smite an enemy but no direct upgrade to the thunder spear spell you get in freaking Linuria, and kinda silly to get the direct upgrade to the basic fireball spell in a fort on the outskirts of the last part of the Mountaintops. Also I got a carpet bomb fireball spell which looks really cool though, so incantations stay winning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth noting that while lightning incantations differ greatly in range and delivery mechanism, it is still a decent rule of thumb that ones with higher Faith requirements deal more damage. Frozen Lightning Spear is particularly excellent once you have the stats for it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I forget the name of it but that dragon lightning one where expands out around you loving wrecks. Probably the closest to Lightning Spear in function would be the cyclops eye beam which isn't the most efficient choice but it's a whole lot of fun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I forget the name of it but that dragon lightning one where expands out around you loving wrecks. Probably the closest to Lightning Spear in function would be the cyclops eye beam which isn't the most efficient choice but it's a whole lot of fun

Honed Bolt and Lightning Strike are also a bit better for pure long/mid-ranged DPS than Lightning Spear because they can be rapid-fired.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I met a knight who kicked my rear end a bunch so I had to lure him outside and drop a ball on him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I met a knight who kicked my rear end a bunch so I had to lure him outside and drop a ball on him.

Good ol' Parry Potter

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The thing about spells/incantations in DS3 onwards is that they have never been straight upgrades from one to the other. There is a reason why Catch Flame and Carian Slicer remain staples even in the endgame.

Broadly speaking, as yo progress down the upgrade paths of spells (aka go from Swift Glintstone Shard > Glintstone Pebble > Great Glintstone Shard > Cometshard > Comet) you get slower startup, poorer FP:damage ratio, increased DamageLevel staggers, and an emphasis on burst damage over sustained damage. Sustained ranged damage is only ever really viable when you have a phantom or a spirit ash to tank hits for you, but burst damage can be fit in amidst boss punish windows.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Having taken my faith build to the Fire Giant, it’s kinda weird how nonlinear offensive incantation progression is even compared to pyromancies in the other Souls games, let alone sorceries. Like, don’t get me wrong, having different toys to experiment is a blast and I probably prefer this to sorceries having three variants for most of its offensive spell lines that I’ll never consider using, but it still feels slightly underwhelming looking up a guide and realizing there’s a lot of cool ways to smite an enemy but no direct upgrade to the thunder spear spell you get in freaking Linuria, and kinda silly to get the direct upgrade to the basic fireball spell in a fort on the outskirts of the last part of the Mountaintops. Also I got a carpet bomb fireball spell which looks really cool though, so incantations stay winning.

There is a direct upgrade to the vanilla lightning bolt spell, unfortunately it's the weapon art on a pure dex weapon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Dignity posted:

There is a direct upgrade to the vanilla lightning bolt spell, unfortunately it's the weapon art on a pure dex weapon

I wish I could say I was surprised but this is the game where the beta version of Comet Azur is on a mixed faith/intellect long sword. Oh well, the plain old lightning bolt is probably one of the most cost-effective spells in all of Soulsborne for what it does, an upgraded version would probably have been disgusting for the added range/AOE.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the Bolt of Gransax is insane. Made the game a lot easier after I picked it up.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Okay I gave up playing this game when I hit the icy town and the black knife assassin's and they kept on backstabbing my blasphemous blade build. I have recovered from my frustration and wanted to get back in and was wondering if there are any good builds that are particularly powerful against them ? Like guard builds or magic ?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Okay I gave up playing this game when I hit the icy town and the black knife assassin's and they kept on backstabbing my blasphemous blade build. I have recovered from my frustration and wanted to get back in and was wondering if there are any good builds that are particularly powerful against them ? Like guard builds or magic ?

buy the sentry torch from the merchant around the graveyard inside the outer wall of leyndell. you just need to carry it (not even raise it) and the assassins become visible. you can even put it away while you're fighting because once you reveal them it's permanent (unless you die and are expelled from the evergaol)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Those motherfuckers are a huge pain even if you can see them but "a huge pain" is better than "basically unkillable" which is what they are if they're invisible, especially if you're rolling Blasphemous Blade

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There's only one that's really in the way, and you can ignore it, light the thing and let it backstab you for all it matters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, equip the Sentry Torch in your off-hand and two-hand your Blasphemous Blade. Should make obliterating them pretty straightforward. Then swap your torch for a decent shield once all the assassins are dead (they don't respawn, relax) and you need to run across the rooftops and cut through the Albinauric archers to get to the candles.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
To complete lighting those 4 beacons, you can run straight south from the evergaol spawn, jump onto the railing to get to that ladder, climb up and light the first 2 tall ones by running across the rooftops and dodging the snipers (and killing them), then drop down to the ground level one and light it. The invincibility frames will save you from the first attacks of the stabby woman, spam a few rolls out of there and book it to the last ladder on the west side and climb to the last light and victory. My last two runs I did it without ever getting hit or bothering to fight the assassins.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The loving snipers were worse than the invisible ninja guys because you could just never go near most of those.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Tbh I got the torch thing but they were just destroying me, wondering if I could do a build that was good at defeating then so I could just get by it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The torches stay lit, just rush them and respawn. Anything that can knock a mob around like the hand ballista or jar cannon will knock the archers off the roof so you can just take a leisurely stroll along the rooftops for those.

My strategy for the ones at the ground level was always to just let them backstab me then go apeshit on them with a huge weapon or two, may not work out well with lesser weapons or low vigor tho. Sentry torch still works if its on your back as well. They stay dead, you don't, leverage that advantage.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
People have trouble there? I just have my own particular route through that area, then jump along the rooftop. I never expose myself to the black knife assassins, and you can rush down the albinauric archers if you first pop an assassin's approach AoW.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The archers aren't much trouble if you put up your shield and charge to the next spot in between their barrages.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This god drat wizard mom fight is loving bullshit, tedious runback tedious first phase then whoops you die.

I gotta upgrade my stabbing device and my dogs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

General Battuta posted:

This god drat wizard mom fight is loving bullshit, tedious runback tedious first phase then whoops you die.

I gotta upgrade my stabbing device and my dogs

Wizard mom is a great fight wrt atmosphere and in a vacuum a pretty fun dynamic in phase 2 of a fight where you have to get in close to a mage blasting away at you and even summoning but I’m sad she took the divorce from her husband so poorly because yeah, that run back is not ideal.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wizard mom fight is fun, you get to play young Darth when all the sw games never let you

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The runback is a lot better once you realize that the shortcut is a trap and the more efficient way is to use the pinball bridge (after killing the guys spawning the pinball of course). It's a pretty painless runback by previous From game standards.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the only reason that annoys me is because that's the only surprise boulder in the game with distinct summoners you can perma kill, it breaks a pattern

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Nat posted:

The runback is a lot better once you realize that the shortcut is a trap and the more efficient way is to use the pinball bridge (after killing the guys spawning the pinball of course). It's a pretty painless runback by previous From game standards.
you can kill the dudes summoning pinballs? And they stay dead?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Benagain posted:

the only reason that annoys me is because that's the only surprise boulder in the game with distinct summoners you can perma kill, it breaks a pattern
its also the easiest ball i found to dodge

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So we're all gonna just ignore that smooth jazz concert, huh.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Darth Nat posted:

Don't even need to kill the ball guys, from the starting point sprint 45 degrees to the right railing and then hug it to the top.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

you can kill the dudes summoning pinballs? And they stay dead?

yeah you know that door that's closed to your left as you approach Moongrum? you can get behind it and the way to do so is close by

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking of things that get summoned with no caster to kill, is there any way to get rid of the giant ghostly dragonkin soldiers in snowfield?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mentat Radnor posted:

Speaking of things that get summoned with no caster to kill, is there any way to get rid of the giant ghostly dragonkin soldiers in snowfield?

There's Tibia Mariners nearby. Kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Well dang I could never find them, I'll try again out of curiosity.