Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I feel like with Witcher 3, CDPR has already proven they can pull off “narrative adventure with open world.” I’m sure the remake will be fine. And if not, I can still replay the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm excited to see what the do with UE5. W1 was essentially a very comprehensive Neverwinter Nights 1 mod and the Aurora engine was clunky to deal wit hat best, so the game being given a more modern treatment should be good fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chaosapiant posted:

I feel like with Witcher 3, CDPR has already proven they can pull off “narrative adventure with open world.” I’m sure the remake will be fine. And if not, I can still replay the original.

They’re not making the game, though. Sounds like they’re only helping out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Exactly. Anyone in here play the original unenhanced back in 2007? I had just gotten over Mass Effect 1 and was looking for something else to scratch that itch. I had just gotten a decent computer so dipped in the computer game pool which felt a lot weirder.

And I come across Witcher 1. Which is weird, and jank, and I can't stop playing it. My impression at the time, having no idea this was based on anything, was man these are all really developed characters, oh man we got a crew at the beginning welp never seeing them again apparently and I was thinking they were gonna be party members. Wow this is some high fantasy monsters and but it feels like a real scummy dark ages type of setting. There was nothing like it and I've been a fan ever since.

If you played Witcher 1 upon release and played each game as it came out - Witcher 3 feels like the most amazing game to ever come out in comparison.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shard posted:

Exactly. Anyone in here play the original unenhanced back in 2007? I had just gotten over Mass Effect 1 and was looking for something else to scratch that itch. I had just gotten a decent computer so dipped in the computer game pool which felt a lot weirder.

And I come across Witcher 1. Which is weird, and jank, and I can't stop playing it. My impression at the time, having no idea this was based on anything, was man these are all really developed characters, oh man we got a crew at the beginning welp never seeing them again apparently and I was thinking they were gonna be party members. Wow this is some high fantasy monsters and but it feels like a real scummy dark ages type of setting. There was nothing like it and I've been a fan ever since.

If you played Witcher 1 upon release and played each game as it came out - Witcher 3 feels like the most amazing game to ever come out in comparison.

This is extremely accurate to how I experienced the world. I knew going in it was based on “some Polish books,” but hadn’t read any of them. But Witcher 1 has atmosphere in spades. The graphics are also quite good for a title in 2007. Not Mass Effect good, but better than Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights 2. I remember being disappointed with Dragon Age Origins when it came out, because it was advertised as “dark fantasy,” but felt exactly like a generic Forgotten Realms at the time.

Then Witcher 2 came out and, imo, surpassed W1 in every way, and Witcher 3 did it again.

I’m extremely excited to play a version of Witcher 1 with all the wisdom CDPR has made since the first game.

I still regularly play W1 and it’s still a fantastic game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

seems to be missing their subsequent attempt at telling a narrative with an open world

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

seems to be missing their subsequent attempt at telling a narrative with an open world

Cyberpunk? I didn't include it because it's Witcher chat, but for the sake of argument, I believe Cyberpunk is a fantastic game and has been since it launched

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Caveat: I've played 3 twice, and I started 2 but never got past the intro area, never tried 1.

Announcing this as an open world reimagining makes me think that they're effectively rebuilding 1 from the ground up to align with what W3 audiences would expect. I have no nostalgia for the original, having never played it, but if the level of jank is anywhere near what this thread would lead me to believe (not to mention just the general UI/UX/Gameplay improvements since 2007), a simple remake/remaster would probably land with a thud.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like open world games but I do really enjoy the semi open semi linear games as well for maintaining forward momentum. Witcher 2 is really good for that, or Fable 1 if I'm going back a few years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

W1 has a million issues, but most of those are fixable with some tuning, modern amenities, better quality control, and a bigger budget for art. Like fundamentally, besides the combat, it's a (very) good game. It's just brought down by a ton of big and small annoyances and uneven production values.

I really don't think a remake needed to be open world. But it's a different question whether CDPR could afford to release a AAA RPG in 202X without that label.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I like open world games but I do really enjoy the semi open semi linear games as well for maintaining forward momentum. Witcher 2 is really good for that, or Fable 1 if I'm going back a few years.

Yes, I've burned out on too many OW games because the onus on pacing is on me, and I suck at managing that.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

W2 was marketed as open world, if memory serves, so I wonder if this remake is just W2-style?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rinkles posted:

W1 has a million issues, but most of those are fixable with some tuning, modern amenities, better quality control, and a bigger budget for art. Like fundamentally, besides the combat, it's a (very) good game. It's just brought down by a ton of big and small annoyances and uneven production values.

I really don't think a remake needed to be open world. But it's a different question whether CDPR could afford to release a AAA RPG in 202X without that label.

This was my main point. The purpose of a W1 reimagining isn't to get previous W1 players to buy and enjoy it - it's to see if they can market it to the wider audience that latched onto W3.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

What other changes are people hoping for in the remake? Personally, I hope that they refine some of the writing. I feel like the writers didn't really hit their stride until Witcher 2 and there were a lot things that felt, well, fanfic-y. There were too many hamfisted callbacks to the books and the main plot being "bad guy builds an army of evil mutants" was way too "comic book villain" for a series that is usually much better than that. I hope they're able to maintain the broad strokes of the plot while bringing it more in line with the quality of later installments.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

This is extremely accurate to how I experienced the world. I knew going in it was based on “some Polish books,” but hadn’t read any of them. But Witcher 1 has atmosphere in spades. The graphics are also quite good for a title in 2007. Not Mass Effect good, but better than Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights 2. I remember being disappointed with Dragon Age Origins when it came out, because it was advertised as “dark fantasy,” but felt exactly like a generic Forgotten Realms at the time.

Then Witcher 2 came out and, imo, surpassed W1 in every way, and Witcher 3 did it again.

I’m extremely excited to play a version of Witcher 1 with all the wisdom CDPR has made since the first game.

I still regularly play W1 and it’s still a fantastic game.

My experience was knowing that the game was based on Aurora engine so immediately making comparisons to NWN, thinking that the prologue was great, going into the Outskirts for Act 1 and thinking 'oh no this is pretty generic Bioware crap', then getting into Vizima for the first time and being blown away.

Aside from the design of the city as a gameplay area which I think was a world apart from anything anyone else had tried before, it was fantastic to realise that I didn't actually have a primary quest that I could beeline and instead Geralt had 3-4 different lines of investigation I could chase up. And then many hours down the line those seemingly totally different investigations start to wrap together. So much better than 'find the 4 macguffins'.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Witcher 1 I preordered and loved it to death when it came out, but also it was so buggy and performed so poorly and was so crash heavy I wasn't able to beat it at the time. I still love that game, even with all it's extremely rough edges. Playing Witcher 3 and seeing all the callbacks to 1 and 2 felt really special. When Thaler showed up in 3 I was so god drat happy. The way Kaer Mohren had the same layout as 1 and had Leo's grave and a note from Berengar and the hole from the fight in W1 was just awesome. I get why they are going for extensive changes, and I wish they weren't, but I will always have that original game.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Jimmy Noskill posted:

What other changes are people hoping for in the remake?

Bigger inventory. I don't need to stash 15 swords in my backpack, but the inventory in W1 is so tiny and it fills up so quickly :argh:

Also check this out
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1597622184964689922?s=20&t=HOlMfazwvmX_opn8H9T1hA
I got Wolf School :neckbeard:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

cheesetriangles posted:

the hole from the fight in W1 was just awesome. I get why they are going for extensive changes, and I wish they weren't, but I will always have that original game.

Neat thing - the prologue dream in W3 takes place before the attack, so the hole isn't there.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I got Griffin school, which goes well with my dad bod

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

macabresca posted:

Bigger inventory. I don't need to stash 15 swords in my backpack, but the inventory in W1 is so tiny and it fills up so quickly :argh:

Also check this out
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1597622184964689922?s=20&t=HOlMfazwvmX_opn8H9T1hA
I got Wolf School :neckbeard:

Wolf school baby let's go

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wolf houuuussee

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I think most people gonna end up with wolf school , because we cant help but chose the solutions Geralt would , like no killing dragons and other obvious stuff .

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I got viper, am I a bad person? :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Jeffe posted:

Probably, but not because of that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Manticore up in here baybee. No idea how I should take that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

El Jeffe posted:

Unless you're a cat you should be fine. Viper was caught in a lovely situation and had to make a sadistic choice to survive.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Rinkles posted:

They’re not making the game, though. Sounds like they’re only helping out.

Fool's Theory, the studio making it, made Seven: Days Long Gone, which I loved (even if the title is awful). It was open world and handled really well for a smaller studio.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

El Jeffe posted:

What's up, viper bro.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hell yeah Wolf School aroooo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXiCvmhRD1Y

I prefer Ventura school.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, is there some kind of writeup on the different Witcher schools since it seems to have the "new" Lynx school that apparently will be the focus of the next game?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, is there some kind of writeup on the different Witcher schools since it seems to have the "new" Lynx school that apparently will be the focus of the next game?

https://the-witcher-fanon.fandom.com/wiki/School_of_the_Lynx

what a prick.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh, that page says they were the first Witchers on a new continent. Setting a game on a different landmass would be a good way to make a clean break from Geralt and all his bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's Fanfiction

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
it's fan fiction I think? so don't take it too seriously.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Would've made a lot more sense and still been interesting if the games had done the "there's only one witcher school but everyone gets a different animal medallion" approach.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ahh, missed that it was a fan fiction wiki.

Still, I would prefer if the new game took place either hundreds of years or hundreds of miles away from the core trilogy.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just let me be a woman witcher please gently caress the lore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

Would've made a lot more sense and still been interesting if the games had done the "there's only one witcher school but everyone gets a different animal medallion" approach.

like if the sorting hat ate 70% of the kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Just let me be a woman witcher please gently caress the lore.

but you get to play as ciri already?