Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Unrelated: if you complain about your teammates while winning, it should an instant perma from OW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Issaries posted:

It is an art piece commentating a lack of communications in Overwatch 2.

Red Roadhog saw the Junkrat and was ready to shoot as the doors opened.
He didn't communicate Junkrats position to others though, because 2 Idiots teammates happily walked into trap.

Actually he did communicate it, but no one was in group chat and it was also in broken German.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Funny how much of a throw it is

lol got em.

Yeah, it's probably no big deal in a QP match or whatever, but at the same time, that sort of mentality is a sliver of the reason why match quality is so poo poo right now. If the average player had a chance to trade 1 for 2 at the enemy spawn 1 second into the match they very well might say "gently caress YEAH, two kills bro? That's lit". Sure it was chuckle worthy, but there's also a pretty high chance they've just made their team crumble like a cookie for the first 1-2 minutes of the game. It's probably not going to ruin a game outright, but when you have multiple people on a team who don't even understand why it was a bad play, I dunno man. Might be in for a terrible game.

it would make me laugh my rear end off even if we lost and video games are about having fun you dweeb

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if you want the maximum try hard everyone on comms running ~actual strats~ join a team, or if there's still any kind of non-pro scrim scene, get in on that, albeit the easiest way to get in on scrims is... being on a team. I'm not being facetious, organized and cooperative OW is a completely different game from almost anything you ever run into on ladder or quickplay and expecting everyone to be tryharding a team game from the equivalent of a casual pick up game is just never going to happen.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
there is more voice chatter the higher you go on ladder

but most of the teamwork in ow is non-verbal and you can still focus on teamwork with zero comms. as an example, the vast majority of ow players are atrociously terrible at even just trying to immediately follow up on a dive tank's initiation and focusing the squishy they are focusing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

on the other hand I would like my tank to please stop feeding by constantly yoloing into the opposing team even on quickplay

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Yeah I think I’m focusing too much on the vocal aspect of things and I just need to learn to read the immediate situation better and understand what the team is trying to do in the moment. In my last few games last night, I just stopped talking completely and just rode with the general vibe of the situation and it seemed to work. In OW1, I played mostly DPS and tank but now I’m hard focusing on support and it’s a completely different perspective.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

there is more voice chatter the higher you go on ladder

but most of the teamwork in ow is non-verbal and you can still focus on teamwork with zero comms. as an example, the vast majority of ow players are atrociously terrible at even just trying to immediately follow up on a dive tank's initiation and focusing the squishy they are focusing.

As a tank player 90% of games are decided if the DPS decide to help with whatever I'm fighting. The worst matches are when their DPS are helping them focus me and mine are off doing something then complaining about me dying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The way to win in any team game that heavily rewards coordination is to follow your least-cooperative teammate's lead tbh. Unless you're confident you can carry its better to just support your supposedly bad teammates rather than be mad they're playing wrong while you're doing the correct thing.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

The way to win in any team game that heavily rewards coordination is to follow your least-cooperative teammate's lead tbh. Unless you're confident you can carry its better to just support your supposedly bad teammates rather than be mad they're playing wrong while you're doing the correct thing.

Yeah it's weird but it turns out if I do the "right thing" while the other 4 people do the "wrong thing", then I'm actually playing poorly. What I should be doing is just rolling with the "wrong thing" because 5 people doing the wrong thing sounds like better odds for a good outcome than 4 people doing the wrong thing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

for what it's worth in my experience, overwatch has been one of the most toxic games in terms of insult frequency and intensity, but what has been the most surprising is that when i reverse the situation and bring up that i'm sorry i'm bad and ask what to do, i've usually gotten pretty helpful advice instead of people doubling down and making GBS threads on you like most other games

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They seem to like positive reinforcement, too. Which is why I want an amp up button, but then again, I also know that the moment such a thing exists, it will immediately only be used sarcastically by the most toxic of losers.

The most toxic players are, in my experience, almost always the worst ones on the team, which just makes everything just that much worse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

poemdexter posted:

Yeah it's weird but it turns out if I do the "right thing" while the other 4 people do the "wrong thing", then I'm actually playing poorly. What I should be doing is just rolling with the "wrong thing" because 5 people doing the wrong thing sounds like better odds for a good outcome than 4 people doing the wrong thing.

Like just for the sake of my sanity going along with the team while they do something even if it's 100% the wrong idea has made enjoying these games a lot easier.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

The most toxic players are, in my experience, almost always the worst ones on the team, which just makes everything just that much worse.

It's really hard to identify and improve your own play if you blame every loss on someone else.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

poemdexter posted:

Exactly. But at the end of the day, you should 100% focus on your own positioning, your own movement, your own judgement and shotcalling, because you're not at the level (gold 4, right?) where you can judge what someone else is doing in real time while also taking care of yourself

I was gold 5 at placement and by playing Mercy & sitting in the tank's pocket while learning when to make guardian angel divebombs to the flanks and heal/dmg boost DPS, now I'm plat to end the season. Focus on yourself, stop worrying about how the others are playing.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The sexiest Junkrat

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Imagine seeing that excellent Junkrat clip and going UHH BUHH WAY TO THROW instead of nodding sagely

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's really hard to identify and improve your own play if you blame every loss on someone else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23388102/refining-hero-pools-and-retiring-map-pools/

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Right you can't control what other people do but you can control what you do. Also I have never seen flaming do anything other than piss someone off in every game I've ever played and personally it's way more likely to make the person throw on purpose out of spite.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quote:

if the Map Pool were to rotate more frequently, it would stop providing the competitive season with the “identity” we were going for. In addition, if we change the Map Pool faster, you might not even notice that maps were missing or back from one cycle to the next.
Oh gently caress off. :nallears:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I thought Horizon Lunar Colony was disabled because it was part of the same game mode as Hanamura.

EDIT
Post is from 2020.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pointing and saying "doing this is a mistake" and then doing it anyway.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Well anyway, here is a new~ish Dopatwo animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MlEcDGGxYw

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Macaluso posted:

Imagine seeing that excellent Junkrat clip and going UHH BUHH WAY TO THROW instead of nodding sagely

Right? That was the best thing in the thread for at least a dozen pages.

I miss all the old maps a lot, except Blizzworld.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Repo Man posted:

Well anyway, here is a new~ish Dopatwo animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MlEcDGGxYw

Ok, that's NOT what happens when doomfist punches a dps. When doomfist punches a dps, they get followed up by 3 headshots while they are in stunlock and insta-die if they aren't being pocket or have an out

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Went 9 and 21 today. First time I've ever had a rank change due to 20 losses before getting 7 wins. My last game was a robot pushing map and the enemy roadhog decided to camp the spawn point after I died while the other 8 players finished the game for 7 minutes. I uninstalled.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

poemdexter posted:

Went 9 and 21 today. First time I've ever had a rank change due to 20 losses before getting 7 wins. My last game was a robot pushing map and the enemy roadhog decided to camp the spawn point after I died while the other 8 players finished the game for 7 minutes. I uninstalled.

owned

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Got my tank and dps ranks finally and i am incredulous that i am a bronze 2 tank and a gold 3 dps given i barely touched dps before ow2 but tbh i think not feeding was enough to carry me there

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

poemdexter posted:

this is why when people complain about team mates spawn camping they should stfu

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I played in one of the goon tournaments a bunch of years ago and our entire gameplan for one team was to just turbo tilt one of their tilt-prone players and it worked so hard that he quit the game for a couple of years and I think I've exchanged maybe 10 words with him in 5 years since. We beat that team and then probably got stomped by most of the other teams because it's a lot harder when teams are a little less prone to tilting off the face of the earth

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is why when people complain about team mates spawn camping they should stfu

I assume the team doing the camping lost, though. 4 v 4 no tank?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

OP ranked down after that match so I wouldn't be so sure.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

poemdexter posted:

30 games of comp in one day sounds like torture so good call

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Yeah it seems like you would benefit greatly from the three losses rule. Three losses in a row, lock it up and play some quick play if you really have the itch to play OW2.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

+1

If the tank is camping spawn then the rest of the team should be eating poo poo.

If someone like Sombra is camping spawn. With her super speed and teleportation powers then yeah, I could see how that could be a powerful strat to disable the enemy team and build ult. The sombras absence at the team fight is in turn negated by the absence of the camped char.

Hog, however, is a tank and therefore worth about twice as much as any other player. He has 700 hitpoints and a button that can delete just about any non-tank opponent within range/los. His absence is not worth the absence of any other single character unless that other character is the enemy tank.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

to theorize for a sec: if a tank is camping the spawn and you're playing support, wouldn't the best move be switching to Ana and sleepin' that fool? Or staying in/near spawn and chipping him with Zen m2 and discord? Probably even Kiriko could headshot the tank if you're good at aiming.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

to theorize for a sec: if a tank is camping the spawn and you're playing support, wouldn't the best move be switching to Ana and sleepin' that fool? Or staying in/near spawn and chipping him with Zen m2 and discord? Probably even Kiriko could headshot the tank if you're good at aiming.

you can't 1v1 a tank as a support unless they're terrible. I'd just phase out as moira when road hooks and get back to my team

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
But how did the tank kill you AND your tank, once he respawned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I'm inclined to agree. I'd give a few tries with Mercy, because I have hubris, but Ana, Moira, or Zen are probably the best bets. Kiriko might be able to find an angle to teleport away.

He didn't say what role he was, though. Could have been a tank himself, in which case, not sure how that could lose. Could have been a DPS, in which case, there are several with mobility options and a few who can just massacre a tank by themselves.

Also, if you were being spawn camped and the other 8 players finished the game, that implies your team rolled, not necessarily because of the lack of a tank, (which is still a good point) but because if anyone on your team died, they would be in the spawn with you. If you lost the spawn, then, uh, you should have died, to meet up with your team.