Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Canopus250 posted:

So can anyone help me understand why after a certain point naval fleets don't seem to actually train/recruit?

I didn't have any issues early when I was building Naval Bases in my core area, it was much slower than the army's, but later on it wouldn't move at all. I tried tossing down 5 bases in an incorporated colony and over 5 years they only trained 37 sailors.

What am I possibly missing? Ironclads are only 5-10% over market cost, there are no shortages of any kind, and military wages are at their highest values.

Officer qualifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Would that be found under the University's qualifications checkbox or somewhere else? I'm at a 93% literacy rate and no other job has had a lack of qualified workers for decades. There are also way more than enough unemployed pops to fill the naval bases several times over.

Edit: The only additional thing would be that I've got a mod on to access the console.

VV- I get that it's slow but a stack of 5 bases only managed to train about 7 sailors a year seems especially off

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2022

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I think Naval Bases just hire incredibly slow in general. Not sure if it's on purpose or a bug.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's definitely on purpose. Naval bases recruit slowly to represent the time it takes to build new ships.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Are you even reading what he's saying? 37 sailors over 5 years for 5 bases is something that is very broken and not intended. At that rate, it would take 135 years to fill them to capacity.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Could it be discrimination preventing the discriminated pops in the colony from promoting up to the required rank? Higher level ships use more officers vs. crew so that can make it worse.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I really hope they sort out the performance issues. That's really the biggest thing holding me back from playing more at the moment. The game is fun, but good lord does the performance tank badly partway through.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star posted:

https://twitter.com/pdxvictoria/status/1597636507107348480?s=46&t=r6SiCbgkxlyAO3aiWF7yPg

Happy to see that V3 sold quite well. Hopefully this means they will support it for a long time.

Congratulations on the first ever successful goon project.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Ithle01 posted:

Could it be discrimination preventing the discriminated pops in the colony from promoting up to the required rank? Higher level ships use more officers vs. crew so that can make it worse.

I realize a lot of this stuff is obfuscated still but if my army/nation is multicultural should I not expect the same of the navy?

The one other thing I'll try is demolishing the outlying naval bases that don't work and see if I instead expand where my fleets are already hired if that just somehow fixes the issue.

Ultimately I'm getting near the end date for the first time in my 6th Paradox game and while I've enjoyed what I've done this run I feel like I need to wait for at least two major patches before coming back to it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Canopus250 posted:

I realize a lot of this stuff is obfuscated still but if my army/nation is multicultural should I not expect the same of the navy?

The one other thing I'll try is demolishing the outlying naval bases that don't work and see if I instead expand where my fleets are already hired if that just somehow fixes the issue.

Ultimately I'm getting near the end date for the first time in my 6th Paradox game and while I've enjoyed what I've done this run I feel like I need to wait for at least two major patches before coming back to it.

Multiculturalism should fix it, yes. In that case, no idea. Well, at least you found a workaround.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I finished my USA run, had a lot of fun, ended up taking over canada and mexico as punishment for people trying to cut me down to size. Really struggled in the endgame as I wasn't a heavy colonizer and nobody would improve their own rubber or oil industries, so will likely not start another run until the AI actually develops stuff.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Looks like 1.1 is releasing on Monday.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-68-patch-1-1-changelog-part-4.1560218/

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

I guess I'm not getting to 1936 in my current game either :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
There's some pretty good stuff on that list. Definitely looking forward to the patch.

Probably the biggest thing is that it looks like there's more of a reason to leave territory unincorporated. It'll be interesting to see if that's true in practice - I've been reflexively incorporating everything.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

apparently they made some changes to the ai that'll help with building so I'm guessing it either works and the lack of development is less noticeable or it falls flat and we shout FIX IT more

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I like the 1.0 world they built where leaders constantly lived beyond 90 unless they were presidents, where in they were constantly being assassinated.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Welp better finish my current game this weekend.

"- Mass migration now only targets incorporated states, to avoid colonies being the main target of mass migration rather than e.g. the New World"

drat now I won't have waves of Scots heading to the Celebes to farm tobacco and dye.

Also booooooo they fixed the instant army travel exploit. That was the only thing that made fighting far flung wars and wrangling generals between all the fronts they kept opening halfway doable.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

That seems to address most of the issues I had with the game, we'll see how the AI plays out though. But yeah shame to lose the teleporting general exploit considering I'm doubtful front splitting has been completely fixed.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Booooo

code:
- Korean officers now wear clothes
- Male Academics and Capitalist pops no longer carry parasols
- The final fallback for character clothing is now peasant's clothes instead of a birthday suit
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

They’re also dropping hints of what is going to be change next.

quote:

Yes, for now. We considered addressing it in the short-term by changing the way some decentralized nations were laid out at the start of the game, but it would be ahistorical and not a sustainable / generic solution. Instead we have been working on an improved colonization mechanic that takes Claims into account to address this, which will be coming in a later patch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
These AI updates sound especially good, in regards to war issues:

quote:

- AI will not begin unifying Canada or Australia until Pan-Nationalism is researched
- Australian and Canadian confederation no longer forces the annexation of a player
- AI acceptance for white peace now increases over time the longer a war goes on
- AI is now less inclined to pursue annexation of subjects with whom they have good relations
- AI is now more willing to settle wars that are going nowhere with a white peace
- AI now also takes into account bankruptcy when considering peace desire, neutrality and confidence, not just debt level

- AI will now properly stop enacting a law to avoid revolution if it calculates this to be in its best interest
- AI will now properly use its investment pool when it can cover the entire construction cost, despite being in deficit
- Fixed native uprisings not mobilizing due to not being able to calculate their conscripts' power projection
- Improve the AI's understanding of when it should produce more military goods of a certain type
- Make the AI more interested in switching to more productive PMs, and less interested in switching to less productive ones unless there is a very good reason to do so
- Great Powers are much more likely to declare an interest in Arabia while the Ottomans are trying to reclaim Syria
- Liberia now begins independent, to discourage US colonization of Africa and to better reflect Liberia's de facto situation
- Changed incorrect check in Powerful Protectors that compared army size to country rank instead of army size
- Fixed some cases where the AI would use the wrong define for computing heuristics

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
From my perspective having mostly played a lot as the Ottomans:

Making troops lose morale every round of battle will be good - I saw lots of battles where neither side had much offensive power so they dragged on for ages.

"Treaty ports only work if you're a higher rank than the market owner" will solve the game-start issues we've got with Pondicherry, but I don't think it's the best solution possible. It doesn't seem right that if the UK loses great power status then France instantly gets access to their market, or if someone takes a province bordering Pondicherry then France gets access to their market. I'd sooner they fixed whatever craziness forces places like Pondicherry to be treaty ports in the first place. I do recognise that we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good, but I hope this isn't the last time this issue is looked at.

Rebalances to legitimacy, government, military and building wages sound good to me, not something that's troubled me too much in the past.

Fixing the immortal leaders issue is great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I hope the port level and convoy PM changes mean that you're less likely to literally run out of shipping circa 1910

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gort posted:

I'd sooner they fixed whatever craziness forces places like Pondicherry to be treaty ports in the first place. I do recognise that we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good, but I hope this isn't the last time this issue is looked at.
Definitely agreed. At some point the problem is that markets, as a mechanic, are kinda janky. I’m pretty sure people in the Australian outback didn’t have free, unimpeded access to every good available in London (and at the same prices). Not to mention that buildings in the outback can use rail transportation generated by a railroad in London. And it’s definitely weird that if you’re some tiny nation and Britain forces you into their customs union at sword point, you can then just turn around and buy all the steel in the British Empire at market prices and crash their economy to industrialize yourself. I get that they wanted to model market dominance, but it should’ve been done by… I dunno, “subordinate markets” or something, where market A can freely ship stuff into and out of market B, but market B doesn’t necessarily have any privileges with respect to A, or something. Pondicherry would then (assuming GBR fell from Great Power status) give access to the EIC market, but not that of mainland Britain.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 1, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This would also work better for simulating imperial extraction of the colonies yeah

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Is there any way to provoke a native uprising? I keep getting cut off in Africa because AI colonizers keep getting lucky with uprisings, annexing all of the territory around my "peacefully" growing colonies.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Is there any way to provoke a native uprising? I keep getting cut off in Africa because AI colonizers keep getting lucky with uprisings, annexing all of the territory around my "peacefully" growing colonies.

Get antagonistic with some of those other colonizers so you can trigger the "they armed the natives" event and get them more restive?

If there is a more direct pushbutton way I'd love to know it, also.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

Get antagonistic with some of those other colonizers so you can trigger the "they armed the natives" event and get them more restive?

If there is a more direct pushbutton way I'd love to know it, also.

I've actually gotten that event 3 times in my current Spain run, still no uprisings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let us draw lines on the map for capacity or something, and once occupied areas in an overlapping claim neighbour a diplo play starts.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let us draw lines on the map for capacity or something, and once occupied areas in an overlapping claim neighbour a diplo play starts.

A fleshed-out Scramble for Africa will hopefully come in a later patch and/or DLC. Whether we see it before 2024 is another matter...

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

"Treaty ports only work if you're a higher rank than the market owner" will solve the game-start issues we've got with Pondicherry, but I don't think it's the best solution possible. It doesn't seem right that if the UK loses great power status then France instantly gets access to their market, or if someone takes a province bordering Pondicherry then France gets access to their market. I'd sooner they fixed whatever craziness forces places like Pondicherry to be treaty ports in the first place. I do recognise that we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good, but I hope this isn't the last time this issue is looked at.

What do you mean by "whatever craziness forces places like Pondicherry to be treaty ports"?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

That seems to address most of the issues I had with the game, we'll see how the AI plays out though. But yeah shame to lose the teleporting general exploit considering I'm doubtful front splitting has been completely fixed.

I'm hoping at the very least they fixed the "the front was deleted due to losing an adjacent province by an attack from another front, so the generals all just go home" issue, which was a frequent result of front-splitting and could lead to instantly losing huge swaths of captured territory since it would take months to send your generals back to the front that was directly next to the one they just left, while the enemy is free to just keep pushing unopposed. The only time I ever used the teleporting general exploit was to send them back to the front they just left for no reason and killing the workaround without killing the original issue would suck.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Staltran posted:

What do you mean by "whatever craziness forces places like Pondicherry to be treaty ports"?

Pondicherry is a treaty port for some reason, so France has unfettered access to the British market.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm hoping at the very least they fixed the "the front was deleted due to losing an adjacent province by an attack from another front, so the generals all just go home" issue, which was a frequent result of front-splitting and could lead to instantly losing huge swaths of captured territory since it would take months to send your generals back to the front that was directly next to the one they just left, while the enemy is free to just keep pushing unopposed. The only time I ever used the teleporting general exploit was to send them back to the front they just left for no reason and killing the workaround without killing the original issue would suck.
The bug fix listed after the teleporting general fix might be a fix for this issue. It sounds like it was a bug that a general on the other side of the world had to redeploy from HQ to go to a front next to the one he was just deployed on. If, when a guy gets sent home, you can just plop him on an adjacent front in a couple days instead that would mostly be fine I think. If it actually works.

But yeah, I'm still kind of worried because the teleporting general bug was actually a really good way of fixing a lot of the horrible front issues that are probably still around. I kind of hope that someone comes out with a mod that lets you teleport generals or something.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

These AI updates sound especially good, in regards to war issues:

- AI will now properly use its investment pool when it can cover the entire construction cost, despite being in deficit

Honestly, this sounds like it might have actually been a low-key big deal. If the AI had been sleeping on construction because it didn't think it could afford it despite its investment pool allowing it to cover the costs, given the fact that much of the game is balanced around some degree of deficit spending with the investment pool making up construction deficits that sounds like it might have helped contribute significantly to the "AI never builds anything" problem - building "affordably" without drawing down your investment pool drastically slows down the rate of potential growth.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Eiba posted:

The bug fix listed after the teleporting general fix might be a fix for this issue. It sounds like it was a bug that a general on the other side of the world had to redeploy from HQ to go to a front next to the one he was just deployed on. If, when a guy gets sent home, you can just plop him on an adjacent front in a couple days instead that would mostly be fine I think. If it actually works.

But yeah, I'm still kind of worried because the teleporting general bug was actually a really good way of fixing a lot of the horrible front issues that are probably still around. I kind of hope that someone comes out with a mod that lets you teleport generals or something.

What they should be doing is let you assign generals to a regional HQ. So you could tell Sherman to sit his rear end in New York while Lee farts around in Hawaii, or wherever, even while you're still at peace. Or just open this system up when you're involved in a play if you want the added hassle of remembering to send your generals halfway around the world.

Unless that's how it already works and I've already forgotten everything I've learned about V3 since I played it last.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It seems to me the fix for the front issue is some kind of front merging system - like yes these two fronts technically don’t touch because there’s a pocket in between them, but the distance between them is so small that they’re treated as one front. Maybe something like if there are fewer than X provinces between two fronts in a given strategic region, they are merged together.

Alternatively, there are probably changes they could make to the province capture system to relieve some of the issues - so that you don’t end up with pockets which pointlessly create new fronts to begin with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tomn posted:

Honestly, this sounds like it might have actually been a low-key big deal. If the AI had been sleeping on construction because it didn't think it could afford it despite its investment pool allowing it to cover the costs, given the fact that much of the game is balanced around some degree of deficit spending with the investment pool making up construction deficits that sounds like it might have helped contribute significantly to the "AI never builds anything" problem - building "affordably" without drawing down your investment pool drastically slows down the rate of potential growth.

Slightly related to this, but the investment pool needs to be front and center on the UI. It's extremely useful but it's hidden on a secondary tab of the currency window. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to even notice that it was a thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Staltran posted:

People have attempted to remove treaty port status from Pondicherry but apparently any single province in a region like that automatically becomes a treaty port or something.

It's why the patch isn't just removing treaty port status from the little enclaves like Gibraltar and Pondicherry which weren't historically treaty ports in the way they are ingame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So you are objecting to the underlying mechanic of dynamic treaty ports.