Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like it's kind of dishonest to frame it that way given that the full context is the character is called eddie riggs, eddie being the name of the iron maiden's mascot and being something designed by derek riggs, an artist who is responsible for like a lot of the band's album art. it was very bluntly a direct reference to iron maiden as a whole. like i'm not going to say it wasn't petty but lol this is a wild way to present it

and even beyond that i have no sympathy for the ion fury devs anyways for obvious reasons, so, whatever!

What's wrong with the ion fury devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Milo and POTUS posted:

they're bad at making games and also bad people

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Called out for some homophobic (and transphobic?) """jokes""", and instead of saying 'yeah, ok, sorry that's dumb and childish and we apologize', I believe they doubled down.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Called out for some homophobic (and transphobic?) """jokes""", and instead of saying 'yeah, ok, sorry that's dumb and childish and we apologize', I believe they doubled down.

for the latter it involved devs directly engaging in some rather heinous posting on the subject rather than weird and dumb jokes inserted in the game, but yeah

for fairly personal reasons i have a hard time feeling sympathy for them in the iron maiden copyright scenario

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bummer. Not the first game I've heard that about either

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Iron Maiden loving sucks

they haven't written good music since 1988

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol wtf

Why are metal bands like this

Iron Maiden have turned themselves into the KISS of heavy metal OP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ion Maiden sucked so much

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has there been any news on Aftershock since the spring?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I mean it was just made as an add on for the Dreamcast port. I did a real half life wiki deep dive last night. I have to play Decay!
There's a fan port to PC of Decay out there, but it's still built for co-op so if you're playing solo you'll have to switch between characters constantly to keep them together and puppet them seperately.

A seperate fan-port is in development that remixes it as a single-player experience, and it has a demo to check out and a Steam page for you to wishlist. I haven't tried it, but it's there.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm replaying Max Payne and forgot how enemies can shoot each other by accident. This is particularly funny when Max dives into a room full of goons, one of whom shouts "It's Payne!" and then shoots his friend point blank in the gut

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a perfectly normal panic response to shoot random people who aren't your intended target. hell, cops do it all the time

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Convex posted:

I'm replaying Max Payne and forgot how enemies can shoot each other by accident. This is particularly funny when Max dives into a room full of goons, one of whom shouts "It's Payne!" and then shoots his friend point blank in the gut
more games should have infighting like this

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? :lol:

That is a relatively tame entry on the list of things Harlan Ellison did in his quest to be the biggest misanthrope in sci-fi.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I have a fuzzy memory of Harlan Ellison appearing on Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher and announcing that his penis had fallen off and acting angry towards a very confused Maher.

I've tried to find a clip of the show or try and confirm this hazy recollection but throwing "Harlan Ellison penis fall off" into a search bar hasn't been helpful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I felt like an idiot learning that Max Payne 1 doesn't award extra damage to headshots.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Convex posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how to play this game without the adaptive difficulty ramping up to 100 by the end. I think it depends on whether or not you're quickloading or hitting the use key to load the last save whenever you die

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I felt like an idiot learning that Max Payne 1 doesn't award extra damage to headshots.

It really does feel like a game that would do that, though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wait, it doesn't?

I definitely remember doing more damage with headshots and a quick google search confirms that it is a thing unless this is some kind of Mandela effect situation.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 2, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would automatically believe any story about Harlan Ellison suing someone, he was that kind of person

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Him getting fired on the first day at disney is one of my favorite stories

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Wait, it doesn't?

I definitely remember doing more damage with headshots and a quick google search confirms that it is a thing unless this is some kind of Mandela effect situation.

Yeah, I learned years later (and something like 7+ playthroughs) that bodyshots is all you need. It's crazy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, I learned years later (and something like 7+ playthroughs) that bodyshots is all you need. It's crazy.

what the gently caress

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Good soup! posted:

what the gently caress

This explains a surprising amount of my frustrations with the game :stare:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

This isn't true at all? Late game enemies do have more health though combined with the difficulty scaling constantly adjusting total health as a multiplier on fugitive difficulty.

koren fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 3, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Do they have armor? I've seen some people say hs work in 2 but not 1. Armor might account for the tougher enemies.

Anyway, the madman finally did it; Cultic in sub 10 minutes.

That chapel eats up so much time lol. I half expect them to find some way to break it and skip it at this point

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Guillermus posted:

No that can't be right I'm pretty sure headshots do more damage they just aren't instant kills.

This steam guide claims to have pulled damage modifiers from the actual game code, idk.

quote:

Hit Location Modifiers:
Head shots do 500% damage.
Leg shots do 50% damage.
Arm shots do 75% damage.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 3, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I refuse to believe that I suck and missed a bunch of headshots

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you probably just have that glitch that sets it to max difficulty

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to finishing Cultic and I think it might be my favorite retro shooter of them all. The movement and fight dynamics are just fantastic, haven't had this much fun zooming around the battlefield and blowing up dudes since Bulletstorm.
Also, very good level design. I didn't really care for the open area -> tunnels -> open area -> tunnels alternation the early levels had (I think Mine Town is the worst offender here) but once you get past that it's all fresh and has a great sense of escalation.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

No that can't be right I'm pretty sure headshots do more damage they just aren't instant kills.

This steam guide claims to have pulled damage modifiers from the actual game code, idk.

I think Hard Boiled should give less bullet time per kill than Hard.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've played through Max Payne 1 a few times and honestly never noticed headshots doing any more damage than body shots. In fact I'm pretty sure I've tested it and it takes around the same number of bullets so if head shots do more damage then I seriously don't think it's as drastic as 500% more damage unless there's something bugged with the times I've replayed it. It's not like Max Payne 3, where headshots do make a noticeable difference and you get visual feedback on getting one. I always thought the design differences between Max Payne 1 and 2 compared to 3 is that 1 and 2 reward quick reflexes to activate bullet time and spraying and praying whereas 3 rewards using bullet time to line up accurate headshots to take harder enemies out immediately.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

you probably just have that glitch that sets it to max difficulty

Even then, he should have noticed how the body shorts needed five times more bullets than the headshots!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Max Payne 2 had some good NPC/enemy conversations too, reminded me of NOLF at times

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the dude in the toilet “it’ll be done when it’s done” always makes me lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the dude in the toilet “it’ll be done when it’s done” always makes me lol

he spent a lot of time on that valve eh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

I finally got around to finishing Cultic and I think it might be my favorite retro shooter of them all. The movement and fight dynamics are just fantastic, haven't had this much fun zooming around the battlefield and blowing up dudes since Bulletstorm.
Also, very good level design. I didn't really care for the open area -> tunnels -> open area -> tunnels alternation the early levels had (I think Mine Town is the worst offender here) but once you get past that it's all fresh and has a great sense of escalation.

Town's a great level :psyduck:

If anything level one is the one I dislike most now. Followed by level 2

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mobster: "This reminds me of that time we were still peddlin' V, when we had that cop on our asses. What was his name again? Hurt?"

Mobster 2: "Hurt? My rear end! Payne was his name!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/ScottApogee/status/1599083214160596992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

huh, chatting about the old Duke games on the N64 last night, looked it up today and Zero Hour was a Build title!?

https://twitter.com/LuciferBPolaris/status/1434990984497147911

Shame the source isn't available, I'd love to see another N64 remaster / port on PC here.