Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

His Avengers feels like an attempt at Grant Morrison's JLA where everything is BIG but nothing is that entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think the nice thing about Aaron Avengers is that it's extraordinarily easy to ignore. I haven't even glanced at in at least two years and I do not feel like I've missed a thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I think the nice thing about Aaron Avengers is that it's extraordinarily easy to ignore. I haven't even glanced at in at least two years and I do not feel like I've missed a thing.

well i hate myself and get a weird satisfaction in torture reading

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

well i hate myself and get a weird satisfaction in torture reading

You can read the new damage control if you want to do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azubah posted:

You can read the new damage control if you want to do that.

way ahead of you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

My advice is to not read Jason Aaron comics, no matter how much people insist "it's not that bad" or "there's some good stuff in there." It's been working out pretty great for me!

His Thor run is the best Thor run since Walt Simonson.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
His runs on both Thor and Conan were fantastic, but his Avengers run has felt like it was full of great pitches and not much else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Watching "The Toys that Made Us" drat I had no idea that Spider-Man basically spawned the Power Rangers.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I've soured pretty hard on Marvel this year myself. Since the early 80s I mostly read Marvel. I was a sick kid and got to hit the spinner rack after doctor visits. Marvel's where the X-Men and Spidey were. I already did the 90s, so their current deal of rehashing a lot of that isn't doing much for me, but like I said, 40 years of Marvel. I'm probably just old and jaded. I love the X line and Moon Knight and Daredevil(s), but at this point I'd say I haven't liked Amazing Spider-Man since before Civil War.

Aaron's Avengers reads to me like smashing the action figures together but he never makes them kiss. All-Smash The Marvel Legends Evertoy. I just banged out an Avengers arc right there. It's his first Marvel or indie book I didn't like.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This could just be me, but I think a small part of the issue might also be that the Avengers just aren't as exciting as they were a couple of years ago, either as a franchise or even as individual characters. When was the last truly consequential run? Hickman, maybe? And with them being missing from the MCU for a whole phase now, there's no synergy with those stories anymore either. When's the last time people looked at the comics and got really jazzed for "that team with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor"?

...But then, that may also just be a roundabout way of saying what everyone here has already been saying, which is that...the book just hasn't been good. If the stories were good, everyone would be real jazzed for "that team with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor." Instead, they've ended up becoming the 1/3rd of the recent Big Event that felt extraneous to the proceedings. Imagine feeling more extraneous than the Eternals. :sweatdrop: Truly, flop energy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been enjoying it, but it's extremely Marvel-rear end bullshit and I can totally understand why that's a turnoff. I definitely agree that it's been inconsequential, though. Things just happen and OH HEY IT WAS MEPHISTO ALL ALONG and it's not actually very well done.

Regarding AXE, I do kind of wonder if they were shoehorned in by editorial (in so far being called part of the event) when it was very clearly intended to be a crossover of Gillen's two series he was writing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I also don't like Hitch's art anymore?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rick posted:

Watching "The Toys that Made Us" drat I had no idea that Spider-Man basically spawned the Power Rangers.

Kamen Rider was born out of a failed Captain America project. Also the Toku Spider-Man show is where they started intoducing the mega-zord in the Sentai shows. The writers for the show couldn't think up any cool flashy finishing moves for Spider-Man so eventually somebody said "how about the monster grows 50 feet tall and then Spider-Man gets into a giant robot and then blows it up?" And the rest is history.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

...eventually somebody said "how about the monster grows 50 feet tall and then Spider-Man gets into a giant robot and then blows it up?" And the rest is history.

That person was a genius, and no matter how much they were paid it wasn't enough.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 2, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't think avengers assemble alpha was any worse than the all the stuff that came before it, but this whole thing sure has been dragging out far longer than it should have. It's been like a an entire year of setup in two books and the "all rider" stuff just is not hooking me at all. Tbh it's very funny to me that even though Aaron proclaims him the most powerful avenger in the multiverse no one else has really ever cared about Robbie Reyes and this story has removed the one thing that connected him to anybody (needing to take care of his brother) and as soon as this story ends and Aaron leaves he's gonna disappear

site fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 2, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

I also don't like Hitch's art anymore?

he's been phoning it in for a long time

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

he's been phoning it in for a long time

I dropped Ewing’s Venom because of this

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Avengers isn't good but Marvel as a whole has a lot of great stuff. Everything by Vulpes and Ewing are must read, except Venom. I really like this Spidey book, but I can understand if people don't. Most of the X line is on a roll.

I think it's really just the Avengers adjacent stuff that's struggling, outside of Captain America and Captain Marvel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's really just the Avengers adjacent stuff that's struggling, outside of Captain America and Captain Marvel.

i have no idea how captain marvel has sustained itself for almost 50 issues but Ms Marvel doesn't even have a book and black widow couldn't make it to 20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I dropped Ewing’s Venom because of this

I dropped it because of this and that I just really, really didn't care.

I guess I may be getting it again for THE DARK WEB

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I was intrigued by Ewing's part of the book, but bounced hard off whatever Ram V was doing.

Haven't figured out what I'm doing with Dark Web yet. Kind of interested in the X-Men and Blackcat tie-ins, but haven't been following Spider-Man, or as previously mentioned Venom. I guess it will depend how interconnected they are. Will at least pick up Mary Jane and Black Cat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, yeah, they did say it's structured like Inferno where you can just read the books you were reading and get the story you care about. So it'll be Amazing, Black Cat, and X-Men.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

i have no idea how captain marvel has sustained itself for almost 50 issues but Ms Marvel doesn't even have a book and black widow couldn't make it to 20

People really like snats and Carol's Large Sister.

If my math is right Thompson's like seven issues away from the longest run of Carol Danvers comics...ever.

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

site posted:

I feel like Black Widow was screwed a bit by being timed for a movie launch and then COVID hit and both the comic and the movie were delayed for a long time. Not that Black Widow ever sells gangbusters, but I can't imagine that helped the book find and audience.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, yeah, they did say it's structured like Inferno where you can just read the books you were reading and get the story you care about. So it'll be Amazing, Black Cat, and X-Men.

Ah, good. I will pick the X-Men and Black Cat comics up then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i haven't enjoyed Hitch's work in a long time. which is a shame because he drew one of the most perfectly beautiful comics of the modern age (JLA Heaven and Earth).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

i haven't enjoyed Hitch's work in a long time. which is a shame because he drew one of the most perfectly beautiful comics of the modern age (JLA Heaven and Earth).

Does he still work with Paul Neary? That might be part of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Does he still work with Paul Neary? That might be part of it.

i honestly don't know. He did a JLoA series during the New 52 which looked terrible and a series called Real Heroes at Image that I don't thin was ever finished.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

David D. Davidson posted:

Kamen Rider was born out of a failed Captain America project. Also the Toku Spider-Man show is where they started intoducing the mega-zord in the Sentai shows. The writers for the show couldn't think up any cool flashy finishing moves for Spider-Man so eventually somebody said "how about the monster grows 50 feet tall and then Spider-Man gets into a giant robot and then blows it up?" And the rest is history.

Actually that was Battle Fever J that emerged out of the proposed "Captain Japan" concept, Kamen Rider had emerged independently years before that;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc16zMrwW4w

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

You mean Heavens Ladder? That was the one book I had Waid sign when I met him. Figured he was probably sick of signing Kingdom Come.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

You mean Heavens Ladder? That was the one book I had Waid sign when I met him. Figured he was probably sick of signing Kingdom Come.

yeah that one, the treasury book. i had it signed by both of them but lost that copy. my current one just has Waid's scribble on it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

His 90s stuff is really beautiful, I was taken aback by how strong the Alan Davis influence is early on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

His 90s stuff is really beautiful, I was taken aback by how strong the Alan Davis influence is early on

Ya know, now that you mention that, you can *still* see it, though it's definitely nowhere near as strong as in the past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Absolutely felt the same way back in the day. There's a Superman Annual from 1991 I would have sworn was drawn by Davis.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

yeah that one, the treasury book. i had it signed by both of them but lost that copy. my current one just has Waid's scribble on it.

That book does not get talked about enough. Hitch and Waid are both firing on all cylinders, and it’s the perfect format for it. Tower of Babel gets all the attention for showing what a jerk Batman is, but Heavens Ladder is Waid’s best JLA story.

Oh, this is the Marvel thread. Find of a copy of Captain America: Bicentennial Battles. Unfiltered Kirby Captain America from 1976. Treasury editions are great!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's quite funny to see Reese, of all characters I've created, mentioned in Midnight Suns.
https://twitter.com/memento_moriV1/status/1598891769651154949/photo/1

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I would get a Reese mini, featuring her sidekick Moon Knight

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought the sidekick was the building of unspeakable horrors?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Everyone knows Moon Knight's real sidekick is Marc Spector's Ongoing Psychodrama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The cowards will never make a Frenchie game.