Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Has anyone suggested multiball yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lukaku should have had like 37 goals by now what's even going on

E: Wrong thread, but this is my official Qatar complaint

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, you made me do it too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

njsykora posted:

Also double elimination so the big name teams can’t be knocked out in a shock upset.

Cinderella runs are the most fun part of knockout tournaments so we have to eliminate them obviously yes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Mickolution posted:

Counterpoint: rugby union is for cunts.

It's also a lot more predictable in nature 90% of the time than football is, the bonus points in rugby start to create options other than "one team in each group wins three games, another wins two, one of Australia, NZ or SA wins the tournament".

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

E: wrong thread.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 1, 2022

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It's also a lot more predictable in nature 90% of the time than football is, the bonus points in rugby start to create options other than "one team in each group wins three games, another wins two, one of Australia, NZ or SA wins the tournament".

This year they are bringing the Australia wins the tournament feature to the world cup

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

cagliostr0 posted:

Arsene Wenger is possibly the only person with worse ideas about how to fix football than Americans

Sounds like someone needs to suggest a golden-goal overtime played using ordinary football rules, but with an american football as the ball.

Also, the nation who win the cup get to enforce a house rule in the next one. Everyone is now a Japan fan, hoping for 2026 Takeshi's Football.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

lmao the turkish commentator that was covering the canada - morocco was fired at half time for mentioning hakan sukur

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Is sukur the one that basically got exiled to america and will be immediately arrested if he goes back to turkey

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Is sukur the one that basically got exiled to america and will be immediately arrested if he goes back to turkey

Tough to tell I heard there's one born every minute

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

Works as an Uber driver in America I think

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

yeah, hes a gulenist who also happens to be the top scoring turkish national team player with 51 goals over 112 matches (2nd most capped), with the runner up having 22 goals over 80 matches. so he'll probably take down a few more commentators going forward unless they decide to erase his statistics

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

don't mention the wins above replacement

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

turkey did that with ennes kanter and while i also personally repudiate ennes kanter, exiling and castigating your recognizable star athletes is a bad habit when you want people to forget about your multiple genocides.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
classy stuff

https://twitter.com/Qattar_Affairs/status/1598469163235901440

(this is in response to Germany going out, referencing their earlier protest)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

vyelkin posted:

classy stuff

https://twitter.com/Qattar_Affairs/status/1598469163235901440

(this is in response to Germany going out, referencing their earlier protest)

These loving pieces of poo poo.

If you want a stronger argument for why we need to shift away from fossil fuels, it's these worthless fucks.

And not that this really means anything, but their horrible team with purchased talent was the first one eliminated.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

These loving pieces of poo poo.

If you want a stronger argument for why we need to shift away from fossil fuels, it's these worthless fucks.

Hmm

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Tough to tell I heard there's one born every minute

Now this got a "lol" out of me.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ronaldo paid a lot of money to make those repe chages disappear

Why am I not surprised :smith:

Now I found this.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/19/us/cristiano-ronaldo-las-vegas-settlement/index.html

They media should expose the lawyers and PR firms handling these charges

Wonton fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wonton posted:

Why am I not surprised :smith:

Now I found this.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/19/us/cristiano-ronaldo-las-vegas-settlement/index.html

They media should expose the lawyers and PR firms handling these charges

The Der Spiegel reporting on it is essential. It is very clear he is a monstrous person.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It should be noted that her lawyers bungled that case so badly that the judge closed the case and threw it out of court.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
No posts here in 24+ hours.

Have we all been silenced?
Did we just bored of Qat__ar that quickly?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hard to post when we've all obviously died of lack of shelter and drinkable water.

Also now that all the fun teams are gone it's back to being a formulaic Euro tournament.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
There's still Morocco

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tortilla Maker posted:

No posts here in 24+ hours.

Have we all been silenced?
Did we just bored of Qat__ar that quickly?

Seriously, this is what I feared would happen.

All the protests, all the corruption, all the oppression, all the deaths, hell even all the pure arseholery would be forgotten/ignored. And now this is just another World Cup.

Which it should not be. It should be remembered as a testament to Qatar's, and more importantly FIFA's insane levels of corruption and lack of regard for others.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I technically can’t become bored if i was never excited to begin with!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Seriously, this is what I feared would happen.

All the protests, all the corruption, all the oppression, all the deaths, hell even all the pure arseholery would be forgotten/ignored. And now this is just another World Cup.

Which it should not be. It should be remembered as a testament to Qatar's, and more importantly FIFA's insane levels of corruption and lack of regard for others.

what would you prefer to see? I don't think it's lack of caring so much as...what new is there to discuss?

e. it is depressing, I guess, that Qatar seems to have realized that cracking down on protestors fans visibly will engender condemnation, so the event has been very PR friendly.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 6, 2022

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

People have been moaning about the poor crowds given the human toll in most of the matchday threads, it's pretty astonishing how there's still so many empty seats in knockout games.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

People have been moaning about the poor crowds given the human toll in most of the matchday threads, it's pretty astonishing how there's still so many empty seats in knockout games.

Don't worry it's all gonna be better at the next event!

https://twitter.com/ReutersSports/status/1598761480760983567

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the however many thousand lgbtq athletes will be just fine with that. Maybe they're hoping that lodging the athletes in tents will cut down on the fuckfest?

Also means either another big football tournament in the winter or playing it, along with all the other sport, in the desert summer. Everyone will love that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

these days you can’t even call it the Summer Olympics in case you offend an emir

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Only the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA so this is entirely possible

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Only the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA so this is entirely possible

it really is astonishing how basically every major sports administration the world over is terrible, useless, and hopelessly corrupt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if qatar is so hot in summer they had to move the world cup to winter then I can't wait to see what they claim is possible to ensure the olympics actually happen in summer after 14 more years of climate change

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jose posted:

if qatar is so hot in summer they had to move the world cup to winter then I can't wait to see what they claim is possible to ensure the olympics actually happen in summer after 14 more years of climate change

love the idea of having people run the marathon or ride a bike 140+ miles on the baking pavement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can’t imagine the Olympics going for an even larger mess after everything this has turned out to be. Qatar is just too small. Now a Gulf petro-states joint bid…

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder if Budweiser will want to sponsor this Olympics

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

love the idea of having people run the marathon or ride a bike 140+ miles on the baking pavement

seriously. If you thought playing a football match in the Qatari summer was impossible, try running a marathon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm sure a new world record will happen in the marathon in 45C heat.