Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alpha Genes, ladies and gentlemen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I wish Rimworld had elevation levels like DF does.

Honestly if Rimworld had like 5 z levels I'd probably never go back to DF.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

lmao

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, Sarg really likes one Youtuber and keeps making things like that which are references to specific things in his series or straight up full on new mods for them. Its why he released that big pack of Kemetic styled stuff a few months back and why he just added a shitload of insect genes to Alpha genes.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That's not a Sealab reference? For shame.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What's the state of bionic / prosthetic mods these days? I'm increasingly annoyed that I have to take someone's whole leg off to fix their missing toe, but I recall from 1.3 that a lot of the bionics mods were varying degrees of balance-busting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kestral posted:

What's the state of bionic / prosthetic mods these days? I'm increasingly annoyed that I have to take someone's whole leg off to fix their missing toe, but I recall from 1.3 that a lot of the bionics mods were varying degrees of balance-busting.

I'm not sure how balanced the Bionics mods are, but you can use the Biosculptor from Ideology to regrow missing body parts without needing surgery or bionics at all. You can even create an ideology based around flesh purity and not using bionics while you're at it!

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

That's not a Sealab reference? For shame.

I'm reasonably sure it's a Chainsaw Man reference, but that's probably not even the original source.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They should call that gene "Groovy"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like EPOE Forked, which is a slightly rebalanced and optimized version of EPOE

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I tend to prefer [FSF] Advanced Bionics Expansion since it's relatively simple and doesn't add a bunch of cruft like EPOE. And more importantly doesn't gently caress with base body parts like EPOE does so it's way less likely to cause unexpected compatability issues.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is there any way to generate two custom ideologies at the start of a game? I can use Character Editor to set a character's ideology to any of the ideologies present in the world, and I can create a new ideology for my colony, but I can't seem to create *two* of them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

Is there any way to generate two custom ideologies at the start of a game? I can use Character Editor to set a character's ideology to any of the ideologies present in the world, and I can create a new ideology for my colony, but I can't seem to create *two* of them

You can create an ideology and then save it (they don't save automatically and I forget where the button is but it's somewhere on the screen in the ideology editor) which would let you back out, design your other ideology, then start the game and Load the first one on a pawn using the character editor (I'm just guessing here, haven't done this myself).

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

I think this is important, and why haven't I learned of this before.

Just to follow up on the dead quests, here's how to fix it if you're slowly but surely not getting sites anymore.

Look in your quest log for this:

You'll see if you have dev mode on all kinds of hosed up data on the bottom, but the telltale sign is the [Site_Label] being in the title since it means the game failed to generate a site and so the quest can end or expire since it doesn't exist and the game only ends the quest when the site expires or is destroyed by you. Unfortunately it's hard to fix this in game and its easier to just edit your save file directly. Fortunately these are not super common, I get one dead quest out of about every 50 for my mod setup.

The way to do that is to go to your save game folder, which will be under:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves

Open up the save and look for the following text - "<name>ERR:" and it should take you right to the dead quests. Select and delete the entire quest as a list time. For instance you'd delete this:

That block from <li> to </li> is what the quest is, and deleting it should entirely remove the quest from the game and you'll start having more sites again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Danaru posted:

I like EPOE Forked, which is a slightly rebalanced and optimized version of EPOE

Seconding this. EPOE Forked is basically just EPOE with a shitload of the dumb cruft like most of the bespoke crafting materials cut out.

It's still absolutely overpowered, but literally any bionics expansion that lets you freely craft bionics is automatically going to be overpowered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"how modded is your game" yes

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Asimo posted:

I tend to prefer [FSF] Advanced Bionics Expansion since it's relatively simple and doesn't add a bunch of cruft like EPOE. And more importantly doesn't gently caress with base body parts like EPOE does so it's way less likely to cause unexpected compatability issues.

I add this mod to my list to fix the body part stuff

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2739055353

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kanos posted:

Seconding this. EPOE Forked is basically just EPOE with a shitload of the dumb cruft like most of the bespoke crafting materials cut out.

It's still absolutely overpowered, but literally any bionics expansion that lets you freely craft bionics is automatically going to be overpowered.

All that stuff was removed from epoe years ago. Forked actually adds significantly more parts and options than regular epoe at this point

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So, uh, Moth Wings are Real Fuckin' Good if you do as mentioned upthread and just mud moat the entirety of the outside of your base.

Last night I got another biotech facility quest and came away from it with Chemfuel Nodules (guess this might be good if you got it early?) and a combo Insect Rally/Bat Wings. Insect Rally says it pumps out a pheromone cloud that makes insects better, anyone have any experience with it?

If it's good I see a megaspider squad getting formed for Bat-Boy to supplement Baby and the Scorchers and Lacey's Dinocruta Pack.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gadzuko posted:

All that stuff was removed from epoe years ago. Forked actually adds significantly more parts and options than regular epoe at this point

Admittedly I do cringe when I see poo poo like bionic toes for sale. Literally why would anyone ever use them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Yup. There's a spreadsheet comparing the two here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xZaHNbrRg_4vl6HeRlmTmvFfIB1cjUtCGhg8wjtXISk/edit#gid=0

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

death cob for cutie posted:

You can edit any existing ideo while making your own. Some of them do have to conform to certain restrictions to fit the world role their faction belongs to (raiders gotta raid, your basic friendly outlander faction is really constrained because they need to be friendly with everyone), but if you want multiple bespoke ideos, that's how you do it.

I occasionally save an interesting random one and apply it to later games, like I got a male dominant fire worshipping tribal ideo and later dropped it in alongside a female dominant tree worshipper set. I wasn't playing either of them, but having that friction out there made things more interesting to me.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Admittedly I do cringe when I see poo poo like bionic toes for sale. Literally why would anyone ever use them

Have you seen some people's toe nails?

Especially skiers?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

some stuff i worked on is going to be in a future version of sarg's alpha genes mod, so look forward to an even larger number of hosed up mutants

id worked with sarg a few times over the years on an implementation of pawnmorpher for the alpha animals roster, but biotech kinda blew up pawnmorpher's spot. i dont think any of my actual work is in alpha genes but the starting roster of xenotypes and their abilities is based on that original pawnmorpher implementation, so i was a classic 'idea guy' for alpha genes. I'd done art assets and code for it but i believe its all been redone to a higher standard (rimworld went higher res somewhere along the way), so i dont wanna take credit for actual work on the existing version of alpha genes.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Kestral posted:

I very much like Medical System Expansion 2 for this.

It's not a full bionics mods, it doesn't really add anything by itself but it reworks the vanilla system so prosthetic parts have subparts, an replacement arm will have a hand, and that hand will have fingers, and so you can give someone just a bionic finger for example. It works with both EPOE version and Rah's among other things if you want to, but you don't have to.

Also has a neat module system, so you can have your shiny Archotech arm and jam a hand talon or something into it without having to revert the whole arm to an inferior model.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Danaru posted:

not having the bioregen pods but having doctors competent to attach them. Your fighters absolutely will get body parts obliterated, one time I happened to look at the research lab and see literally the entire thing was covered in blood due to a social fight and people were in danger of death. Edge case but sometimes they do go hard.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I wish Rimworld had elevation levels like DF does.

it seems like it might need a huge expansion or major revision to pull off. Are floors and roofs the same thing now? Do roofs somehow claim an entire volumetric cell, or are you going to pull a DF and put a floor layer in? In a complicated 3d fight how does the player know where pawns are and if they can shoot down off the tower or what? If an elephant walks across my roof deck can it break and cause a chain reaction of floors caving into the basement? What happens if I put a landing beacon on a lovely deck? You would have to volumize water and let floods become possible, right? Digging in sand causes??? Plus temperature, you'd have to figure out how you want it to work. Do underground floors move the temp towards 17℃ now? You might be able to simplify things by having heat leak out from warm to cold if it's "indoors," but sort of just kind of sink towards 17 if it's the new "underground." Ditch overhead mountain and all that. But this wouldn't work for ice sheets, so then you're looking at volumes of water freezing or thawing.

Kris xK posted:

Honestly if Rimworld had like 5 z levels I'd probably never go back to DF.

Yeah leaving it to the surface layer and maybe 1 basement and a few levels of mountain would be pretty radical though. But the nerdlord in me would want the whole map to be a cube, for symmetry. Plus you could do poo poo like have different biomes where you might want to build up or want to build down for different reasons. Or plan on the spring thaw possibly causing floods, that kind of thing.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it seems like it might need a huge expansion or major revision to pull off. Are floors and roofs the same thing now? Do roofs somehow claim an entire volumetric cell, or are you going to pull a DF and put a floor layer in? In a complicated 3d fight how does the player know where pawns are and if they can shoot down off the tower or what? If an elephant walks across my roof deck can it break and cause a chain reaction of floors caving into the basement? What happens if I put a landing beacon on a lovely deck? You would have to volumize water and let floods become possible, right? Digging in sand causes??? Plus temperature, you'd have to figure out how you want it to work. Do underground floors move the temp towards 17℃ now? You might be able to simplify things by having heat leak out from warm to cold if it's "indoors," but sort of just kind of sink towards 17 if it's the new "underground." Ditch overhead mountain and all that. But this wouldn't work for ice sheets, so then you're looking at volumes of water freezing or thawing.

I'm well aware of how much work it would be, and I don't expect to ever see it- but I'd still like to.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
imo it's just a neat thing to think about, like a puzzle. tiles have ton of different qualities that all interact, and mapping them to cells is kinda cool

as a plus you could volumize pawns. like thrumbos.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so i do 5x5 bedrooms, which is a 7x7 square of walls. What if i build walls on top of that, instead of a roof? Could it cave in? Would it be more thermally stable? What happens if i build out the surface of a 7x7 cube? Suddenly stuff like pillars might become more important than just cool looking ways to support roofs. It could be interesting to make decisions on what kind of floors you want and if you would want big tall ceilings or not. You could build an awesome atrium or some other crazy poo poo.

Pathing is already insane and my guys take rear end backwards routes at all times, so i can barely think of how it would go in 3d lol. And jump packs? The whole thing would go insane instantly.

e: the main problem is "I want a DF-like that isn't just a rip off of dwarf fortress." The different ways to set up the worldspace so that the player can make decisions about what to do is kind of cool to consider, but is probably way out of scope for rimworld.

Also i had my first pyromaniac situation that actually caused damage, he set the chemfuel stockpile on fire and i had to draft people to run for it, but it didn't do anything permanent. Usually pyromaniacs are not a big deal, i wonder if it's because I make almost everything out of stone if i can.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 2, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pyromaniacs should get eaten

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pyromaniacs should be immolated as an offering to the fire gods

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
My Castle Dracula knock-off is coming along pretty nicely. It had a slow start with only 2 pawns trying to build as much as possible inside the giant mountain that I cheated into existence but things are progressing nicely now. This isn't the story of my colony doing well though, this is the story of Dash.

Dash drop podded in with paralytic abasia during winter and, due to some negligence and initial reticence on my part, he lost a couple of toes to frostbite. After initially deciding to save Dash to turn him into a hemogen farm I eventually decided, after arresting more blood banks, that his skills were worth recruiting him despite his uselessness to begin with and his severe artery blockage. Dash was stubborn though and refused to join the posse of vampire worshippers. After the best part of 3 quadrums spent tending to, feeding and converting Dash one of those crazy quirks of timings occured meaning that almost simultaneously Dash saw the light and converted to the groups ideoligion as he recovered from his paralytic abasia. He was finally ready, and as he took his first tentative steps down the path of darkness he promptly had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. RIP Dash, you were a truly terrible colonist.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
considering how i should handle infestations. Thinking just put incendiary IEDs in every room.

perhaps it is me that is the pyromaniac

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Is it just me or have loading times been optimized with 1.4? I'm still running 100+ mods but the game loads way faster than I remember, it feels like. I don't even need to go make myself tea, and it usually doesn't crash when I tab out during loading.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pyromaniacs should get their kicks from using incendiary weapons on your enemies

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They do actually, they get like a +10 mood bonus or something silly like that from wielding incendiary stuff.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Is it just me or have loading times been optimized with 1.4? I'm still running 100+ mods but the game loads way faster than I remember, it feels like. I don't even need to go make myself tea, and it usually doesn't crash when I tab out during loading.

There was something in the original 1.4 patch notes about optimizing loading times somewhat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

"how modded is your game" yes

Yeah, at some point it kind of resembles Rimworld but everything's just a bit... off. Still, the mods are probably the primary reason I still really enjoy Rimworld.

(I like the small/large body sizes in Alpha Genes but hair/headgear doesn't quite resize correctly)

I think I'll have to cut my dwarf run a bit short, the Medieval Overhaul mod just got a pretty big update for 1.4, so I'll need to move away from the unofficial version. But at least this time I can use Xenotype Spawn Control from the start to have proper fantasy race factions.

Kind of makes me want something similar for the base game, it'd be really neat to set up our own factions for our custom xenotypes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Asimo posted:

They do actually, they get like a +10 mood bonus or something silly like that from wielding incendiary stuff.

this is why i have like 3 people with launchers lol. It's actually p effective to blow up enemy bases but if raiders get inside the base these lunatics decide :blastu: is the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, at some point it kind of resembles Rimworld but everything's just a bit... off.

I think my rimworld is sick