Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Hello, Arbites.

In more official news, Jae Heydari, Cold Trader, has been presented. Seems like they're a kind of mini-Rogue Trader. A babby Rogue Trader. All of the shenanigans and greed, but none of the piece of paper that backs them up Warrant of Trade, or the inherited family wealth.

Looks like she's the walking encyclopedia for folks not already invested in the Warty Thou background/story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Any other sickos getting in on this? I like messing around in alphas/betas of games far off, and I’ve liked the early access periods they did for Pathfinder.

It being the day after Dwarf Fortress premium isn’t ideal though.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1598649882633535489

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not me. I’ve never touched the pre-release version of story based games, and I don’t need to start now. I’d much rather wait until it’s done.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Owlcat's games are already buggy enough at release, can you imagine an alpha lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Owlcat vs Fatshark, in a 'The most buggy launch game' deathmatch!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Im hopin that this owlcat game will be less buggy, just because it seems less complex without all the pathfinder system poo poo, but thats probably wishful thinking

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Im hopin that this owlcat game will be less buggy, just because it seems less complex without all the pathfinder system poo poo, but thats probably wishful thinking

I have some bad news for you about the complexity level of Rogue Trader.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I kind of want to check out the Alpha but I don't even know how you get in, I'm assuming paying like $80 or something for the backer edition.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EclecticTastes posted:

I have some bad news for you about the complexity level of Rogue Trader.

Oh no

Are there really like a billion classes and subclasses like in wrath

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh no

Are there really like a billion classes and subclasses like in wrath

It's not as bad, but, Rogue Trader is by no means a simple system, and Owlcat's track record can absolutely continue to be used as a bellwether for how this game is going to turn out.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes, worse yet it offers archetypes that can be taken by multiple different classes. Though admittedly with fewer books total in the rogue trader line there are fewer total classes than Pathfinder.

On the third hand a sister of battle and space marine are companions which runs the risk of also including Dark Heresy and Deathwatch classes.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
And depending on how closely they stick to the tabletop RPG rules the game will quickly devolve into fairly absurd rocket tag. This is easily fixed by just looking at some of the guns and going "uh, no, we're not including that", though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IthilionTheBrave posted:

And depending on how closely they stick to the tabletop RPG rules the game will quickly devolve into fairly absurd rocket tag. This is easily fixed by just looking at some of the guns and going "uh, no, we're not including that", though.

Still though, some 'standard' Imperial weaponry can be pretty dangerous- anything from the bolt family (and you're gonna have bolt weaponry, guaranteed) is pretty much going to give someone a bad day. It won't all be Pen 0 1d10+3E lasguns against your TB 4 dude in flak armour, I don't think.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've only briefly looked into the TTRPG but the thing I don't get about the classes is that there's a Rogue Trader class. Is it required that one player chooses that (and I guess for us to play that in this game) or is it like a prestige class or something? It would feel weird to be a Rogue Trader in name only if theres an actual class for it.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
True, but I'm mostly thinking of fielding anti-tank weaponry against anything and everything, a potential problem in the tabletop!

Regardless, I'm still really interested to see how this game does, regardless of whether or not there's an abundance of lascannon snipers and krak and concussion missiles flying around.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

True, but I'm mostly thinking of fielding anti-tank weaponry against anything and everything, a potential problem in the tabletop!

Regardless, I'm still really interested to see how this game does, regardless of whether or not there's an abundance of lascannon snipers and krak and concussion missiles flying around.

They've shown vehicle class enemies, so anti armour weapons will probably be in. We'll see if they even bother to limit them in anyway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nephthys posted:

I've only briefly looked into the TTRPG but the thing I don't get about the classes is that there's a Rogue Trader class. Is it required that one player chooses that (and I guess for us to play that in this game) or is it like a prestige class or something? It would feel weird to be a Rogue Trader in name only if theres an actual class for it.

Technically, yes. That said, the role is mostly as a buffbot, and the other roles can easily be fluffed into the role as needed*, especially if a player has a more specialized vision for their character. That said, I think it's pretty much given our PC character will be shoehorned into the RT role, albeit with possibly more character options.

*It is highly advised that one person be the official holder of the Warrant of Trade, though if your GM allows it, it might be a shared responsibility thing written into the Warrant (e.g. "My children will bloody well work together or they all get nothing. Signed, Old Man Rogue Trader.").

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Technically, yes. That said, the role is mostly as a buffbot, and the other roles can easily be fluffed into the role as needed*, especially if a player has a more specialized vision for their character. That said, I think it's pretty much given our PC character will be shoehorned into the RT role, albeit with possibly more character options.

*It is highly advised that one person be the official holder of the Warrant of Trade, though if your GM allows it, it might be a shared responsibility thing written into the Warrant (e.g. "My children will bloody well work together or they all get nothing. Signed, Old Man Rogue Trader.").

That's interesting, if the PC is forced into the class that's a drastic change from Owlcats PF games. I wouldn't put it past them to make some pretty hefty changes to allow more character options though. Something like giving the PC some free levels in it on top of their main class or treating it a bit like Mythic levels maybe.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nephthys posted:

That's interesting, if the PC is forced into the class that's a drastic change from Owlcats PF games. I wouldn't put it past them to make some pretty hefty changes to allow more character options though. Something like giving the PC some free levels in it on top of their main class or treating it a bit like Mythic levels maybe.

eh, how it plays out really depends on which version of the 40k rules they go with, as the structure and benefits of classes ranged from heavily regimented and prescriptive at the start of the line (Rogue Trader itself falling into this category) to nearly freeform by the end

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Deptfordx posted:

Owlcat vs Fatshark, in a 'The most buggy launch game' deathmatch!

Bah gowd, is that Paradox music I hear!?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bah gowd, is that Paradox music I hear!?
-Troika Games on commentary

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

LashLightning posted:

Hello, Arbites.

In more official news, Jae Heydari, Cold Trader, has been presented. Seems like they're a kind of mini-Rogue Trader. A babby Rogue Trader. All of the shenanigans and greed, but none of the piece of paper that backs them up Warrant of Trade, or the inherited family wealth.

Looks like she's the walking encyclopedia for folks not already invested in the Warty Thou background/story.

Oh hello Camellia, nice to see you again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The only thing that would be really hard not to break the lore would be letting the PC be a psyker of some kind.

Every other possible background and skill set would work save that one.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pentyne posted:

The only thing that would be really hard not to break the lore would be letting the PC be a psyker of some kind.

Every other possible background and skill set would work save that one.

nah, psyker should actually work just fine, they just almost certainly wouldn’t be sanctioned (and even that’s theoretically possible if the House has a sufficiently impressive Warrant/the right backing or background)

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 3, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LGD posted:

nah, psyker should actually work just fine, they just almost certainly wouldn’t be sanctioned (and even that’s theoretically possible if the House has a sufficiently impressive Warrant/the right backing or background)

:stonklol:

But yeah, I guess it's entirely possible they might put it in. It's just the grog in me going "BUT THAT'S NOT CANON!1!!" while I spill my Dew and Cheetos.

That said, there really aren't a lot of options for anyone who wants to play a 'caster' RT, now that I think about it. Maybe someone with connections to the AdMech might have some neato cybernetics, but there are secrets the Martians would keep from even the Imperium's richest and most powerful, and I'm not sure if anyone worthy/capable of those technologies would want to waste time doing Rogue Trader when there are secrets of the universe to be plumbed, but I guess that's what an overworked Seneschal is for I guess.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Psyker RT goes to same category as 'there's no rule that Rogue Trader can't be an Ork.' :shrug:
I mean you could make a campaign out of that, but it would completely derail any normal campaign.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I mean, I can kinda-sorta see something like that happening if the RT was an Inquisitor who lost one too many political games and then banished to the Expanse- but again, it sounds like the height of bad ideas to let a psyker powerful and skilled enough to be an Inquisitor be let loose somewhere where they can't be easily monitored and can come into contact with some of the worst things in the void, without another dude with vast influences and resources around to stop him if/when they go off the deep end. I just don't see how you could have such a story without it becoming the main focus or without DM fiat handwaving it away (which to be fair, Owlcat is perfectly at liberty to do).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

I mean, I can kinda-sorta see something like that happening if the RT was an Inquisitor who lost one too many political games and then banished to the Expanse- but again, it sounds like the height of bad ideas to let a psyker powerful and skilled enough to be an Inquisitor be let loose somewhere where they can't be easily monitored and can come into contact with some of the worst things in the void, without another dude with vast influences and resources around to stop him if/when they go off the deep end. I just don't see how you could have such a story without it becoming the main focus or without DM fiat handwaving it away (which to be fair, Owlcat is perfectly at liberty to do).

You’re really blowing it out of proportion imo. Every Rogue Trader is a massive security risk, what with the planet glassing ships, constant exposure to xenos/the Empyrean, and near complete legal independence. Said ships also are already (nearly) guaranteed to host multiple other psykers and psychically active mutants as part of their normal operations. An inquisitorial psyker that’s lasted long enough to acquire a warrant for meritorious service or as a form of political banishment is almost certainly skilled/disciplined enough that they’re the least of your worries.

Similarly, the threat of unsanctioned psykers is clearly mostly in the aggregate and the downside risk rather than (most) individual cases, so given the realities of a Rogue Trader’s legal standing it is not at all unreasonable to expect minor talents to be politely ignored in most cases (or monitored via inquisitorial attachment) so long as they’re not engaging in obvious sorcery/etc. It *would* be an excellent reason to disinherit a successor for most Houses of course, but that also makes it something to potentially cover up if there aren’t other candidates, or potentially embrace if the talent is strong enough and it fits the warrant holder’s preferences (and maverick opportunism is presumably common among Rogue Traders). The Schola Psykana takes candidates from all sorts of imperial sources for all sorts of ultimate purposes, and successor candidates often have careers working for the administratum/guard/navy, so there’s no real reason an established Rogue Trader (authority equivalent to an Inquisitor or Space Marine Chapter Master) couldn’t secure preferential treatment and training for a scion if so inclined. Such individuals would be exceptions among exceptions, but that’s pretty much what every Rogue Trader is anyway.

And that’s just more-or-less kosher imperial options, iirc they’ve indicated you can go Chaos, in which case actual sorcery is also on the table (just presumably with the natural consequences).

CommissarMega posted:

That said, there really aren't a lot of options for anyone who wants to play a 'caster' RT, now that I think about it. Maybe someone with connections to the AdMech might have some neato cybernetics, but there are secrets the Martians would keep from even the Imperium's richest and most powerful, and I'm not sure if anyone worthy/capable of those technologies would want to waste time doing Rogue Trader when there are secrets of the universe to be plumbed, but I guess that's what an overworked Seneschal is for I guess.

“Waste time” on someone with the authority of an inquisitor/chapter master/governor, and who can offer unique and potentially exclusive opportunities to access such mysteries while getting around any bureaucratic barriers? To me that would seem like an *easy* sell to even fairly orthodox AdMech, to say nothing of hereteks or xenos technology.

Not saying any of this will be in the game of course, but they’ve got a lot of entirely lore-appropriate options if they’re so inclined.

LGD fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 3, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m guessing they will let you pick any class for your main character, regardless of inworld lore, and then you’ll have a Rogue Trader class that will work like the mythic path stuff from Wrath.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been casually following the updates and had assumed that this time Owlcat would be building their own system rather than trying to transpose Rogue Trader's ruleset. Gosh this one is going to be... interesting.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I've been casually following the updates and had assumed that this time Owlcat would be building their own system rather than trying to transpose Rogue Trader's ruleset. Gosh this one is going to be... interesting.

They aren't building their own system? I thought they weren't going to try to go for a 1:1 translation this time based on earlier dev comments.

But if they are, good luck to them I guess. They'll need it.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Regarding the Xeno inquisitor discussion on the last page, the Inquisitor in the Ghazghkull Thraka Prophet of the Waaagh! book full on makes arms deals with Orks for information and allows an ork interpreter dressed up as an Astra Militarum officer on her ship. She also has a massive menagerie of Xenos lifeforms onboard, including a completely debased Kroot shaper that she has eat prisoners as part of interrogations. She also has an Ogryn psyker and is completely happy with a Rune Priest doing messed up blood rituals.. In short, they have a lot of leeway.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fatty posted:

Regarding the Xeno inquisitor discussion on the last page, the Inquisitor in the Ghazghkull Thraka Prophet of the Waaagh! book full on makes arms deals with Orks for information and allows an ork interpreter dressed up as an Astra Militarum officer on her ship. She also has a massive menagerie of Xenos lifeforms onboard, including a completely debased Kroot shaper that she has eat prisoners as part of interrogations. She also has an Ogryn psyker and is completely happy with a Rune Priest doing messed up blood rituals.. In short, they have a lot of leeway.

She's also pretty much operating rogue and gets taunted for it.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I forget who but someone was asking light-humored game/books about WH40K orks, there's a sidescrolling shooter called: Shootas, Blood, & Teef that appears to be exactly that. No idea if its any good but probably worth checking out.

Anywho, my hope for this game is that you can have an encounter with a genestealer so that during the planet management sections you can help prepare everyone for the coming of the star children.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Inquisitors are afforded enormous levels of freedom. They aren't really monitored per se beyond word of their goings-on reaching higher-ups within the Inquisition, eventually. There are even Inquisitors that exist only on paper -- one Inquisitor invented a false identity of a different Inquisitor to do shady dealings under, using a different retinue and everything. They did it for decades/centuries until it was exposed.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Where's the info about the system? Cause the old Rogue Trader rpg is out of print since the rpg licence changed hands since. And Wrath and Glory is a better game than Rogue Trader imho.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where's the info about the system? Cause the old Rogue Trader rpg is out of print since the rpg licence changed hands since. And Wrath and Glory is a better game than Rogue Trader imho.

Early info during the announcement. D100 Fantasy Flight Rogue trader, not a strict conversion.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It does bear remembering that high ranking Inquisitors have authority and privileges far in excess of any Rogue Trader, despite the Rogue Trader themselves already having enormous power and privileges. Like, it doesn't matter how powerful they are, if a Rogue Trader gets caught with a Daemonhost they're just flat up dead as soon as a force to crush them can be mustered. On the other hand, Inquisitors can get away with it, though they sure as hell better be some combination of extremely powerful, high ranking, and/or have very good connections if they don't want unofficial sanctioning coming their way as it is extremely frowned upon, even for them.

And speaking of those, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Chaos path lets us sacrifice our unsanctioned psyker to get one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fatty posted:

The independent nature of inquisitors means you can do whatever you want in the Inquisition until one of your more puritan-minded colleagues finds out what you're doing and reports it, at which point you're probably in a whole lot of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Inquisitorial Power is the epitome of gently caress around and find out. Usually, it's the Inquistor's enemies that find out, but the Inquisitor himself is not immune to loving around and finding out.