Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zamujasa posted:

The PSP was actually really, really good for homebrew poo poo, and that was easily the best part about it. It was so fun playing random poo poo people would come up with, or using it as a glorified music player for weird MODs / NSFs / GBSs / etc.

Remember the days before the ver.2 update that added the browser, where there were custom DNS servers you could use to hijack the browser in Wipeout? :allears:

I think that was it, at least.

I remember whatever FW that closed the initial kxploit hole and added wallpapers (1.5 I think) mostly had to make do with user-mode HEN stuff like lua games and stuff in the browser stored locally, until the Liberty City Stories save exploit came to pass. And then of course, the libtiff exploit which I think carried over to iOS also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

The Vita didn't even sell a quarter what the 3DS sold, I loved the Vita but come on now, Nintendo weren't afraid of it so much as the 3DS wasn't selling at all at its ridiculous launch price.

The Vita's main strategy after a year or two was also "It plays some PS4 games portably, but you still have to buy them seperate at full retail price", which was never gonna be a winner. It's a great machine, but it didn't exactly have system-selling exclusives.

And most of them jumped ship to PS4 by the end anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm enjoying my PSP at work

E: What the hell this isn't the retro thread!

Leal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 22, 2022

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Leal posted:

I'm enjoying my PSP at work

E: What the hell this isn't the retro thread!

It's cool and good to post about enjoying the PSP in any thread.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

It's cool and good to post about enjoying the PSP in any thread.

This

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vita's main strategy after a year or two was also "It plays some PS4 games portably, but you still have to buy them seperate at full retail price", which was never gonna be a winner. It's a great machine, but it didn't exactly have system-selling exclusives.

And most of them jumped ship to PS4 by the end anyway.

The PS4 remote play on vita was actually amazing, idk whee you heard you'd have to buy twice? Iirc there were some native vita games that didn't have crossbuy with their PS4 versions and the PS3 remote play was limited and bad so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

But like just connect to wifi anywhere and you could just load up and stream from your PS4 it ruled.

Only downside was they for some reason didn't include the back triggers or clicky sticks on the vita so for most games you had to assign stuff to virtual buttons mapped to the rear touchpad. Most boneheaded part of the vita imo, i could forgive the sticks but no R/L2 made most games a real pain to play remotely.

Remote play diablo 3 was really good because of the games robust button mapping options at least.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played a lot of Persona 5 remote on Vita

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i didnt have a ps4 when i had a vita :c

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/HiddenPalaceOrg/status/1596032016796958720

And yes, this first level does recycle the Hidden Palace Zone art. It was just laying around unused, so why not, right?

_____!
May 2, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Remember the days before the ver.2 update that added the browser, where there were custom DNS servers you could use to hijack the browser in Wipeout? :allears:

I think that was it, at least.

I posted on SA using that exploit while on vacation. Ahh the memories. It was 1.5. I know this because I never updated to version 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIVGg6vAJk
Holy poo poo do these (probably) demo versions of Mega Man 2 songs go hard. Gimmick! and Sonic demo versions rule c'mon Capcom release them!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

beta content rules

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Visiting qj.net every day waiting for the 2.0->1.5 downgrade to come out so I could use hardware accelerated snes emulation and run kirby super star at 80% speed instead of 60% :corsair:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think I still have some QJ bookmarks lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm gonna be honest, I've never heard of QJ.net, but I noticed that the site was still up and had a good laugh at one of the last article headlines posted before they stopped updating the place:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 29, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I've never heard of QJ.net, but I noticed that the site was still up and had a good laugh at one of the last article headlines posted before they stopped updating the place:

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Who the hell is still paying the server and domain bills for it?!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can't wait

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1597535973201809409

It's not often that a rights holder responds to their cancelled prototypes leaking out onto the net by retweeting them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think mentally I always assumed the DS already had a port of Toki Tori, every other system does.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
How come we never see cut and canceled ps3 , vita , 3ds and 360 games? Too recent?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think that's around when devkits started getting really strict about activation, so when they do slip into the wild they just brick themselves and it's hard to recover anything stored on them

There was a leak of an unreleased Gears of War PS3 port which came from Epics network being hacked in 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

worms butthole guy posted:

How come we never see cut and canceled ps3 , vita , 3ds and 360 games? Too recent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZB8d11d9go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyvTwFYadg

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My holy grail from that gen has gotta be Rogue Squadron Trilogy for Wii. Which was reportedly finished and ready for release! But has never leaked out in any form, no matter how slight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pretty good posted:

My holy grail from that gen has gotta be Rogue Squadron Trilogy for Wii. Which was reportedly finished and ready for release! But has never leaked out in any form, no matter how slight.

Hope it shows up someday. Those games rule and it would be nice to have them in widescreen.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pretty good posted:

My first reaction was "I'm sorry WHAT" so I had to look it up and holy poo poo what an enormous missed opportunity. That seems like it would have been a slam dunk at the time in terms of sales

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pretty good posted:

I agree. I believe they also has a working port to the 360 as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Was it a license thing?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think what is largely credited for the cancellation is how in the financial crisis of 2008 Factor 5 went down and Lucasarts wasn't in good condition either. Legend says it's in a closet somewhere, but there might be some legal issues with bringing it back out, but also it doesn't seem like the sort of project that would be of interest to Disney.

We're still digging new things up from games from the 90s, but with the PS3 era most of those companies still exist and the people involved are still in the industry so they're less likely to leak.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Disney has signed off on more obscure video game related projects in the past few years so hopefully someone talks to the right person someday.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think what is largely credited for the cancellation is how in the financial crisis of 2008 Factor 5 went down and Lucasarts wasn't in good condition either. Legend says it's in a closet somewhere, but there might be some legal issues with bringing it back out, but also it doesn't seem like the sort of project that would be of interest to Disney.

We're still digging new things up from games from the 90s, but with the PS3 era most of those companies still exist and the people involved are still in the industry so they're less likely to leak.

This was right after Lair as well, so Factor 5 was just in a rough place in general.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waffleman_ posted:

This was right after Lair as well, so Factor 5 was just in a rough place in general.
fact: lair is awesome and lok as if real life movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

fact: lair is awesome and lok as if real life movie

Whatever version of Lair you played is way different than what I played.

Edit: It was shown as a posterchild for the PS3->PSP streaming feature but you couldn't progress past the tutorial on PSP because it required an input impossible on PSP

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pretty good posted:

Considering Wii's tendency to require motion controls and the poor implementation of such, I could imagine a reason why it wasn't released beyond just licensing reasons. Granted, it sucks if it was only because licensing issues.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

High Quality (well, a master tape from 1992) footage from Sega's "Michael Jackson in Scramble Training", a simulator game has been released on YouTube after it was allegedly purchased at a car boot sale in the United Kingdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1vBjEiCvY

In the wake of the 1993 child abuse allegations all footage of MJ was removed from the final game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we finally have the unprocessed version of the portal radio song thanks to it being included in Portal RTX for some reason

all rise for the national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lN6_j6IPFg

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Turns out enough time has passed that the portal song's meme cringe association has totally evaporated and I can just think Haha Thats Cute again

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I gotta say, I really miss Valve's games. Half-Life, Portal, especially Left 4 Dead, all amazing games and sequels.

My gaming group would kill for L4D3. Back 4 Blood was garbage and really deflated our hopes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You should check out the Steam Deck tutorial, it's short and a bit of a tease but the quality is there. You don't need a Deck, played fine with a DS4, keyboard and mouse (make sure to configure the DS4 via Steam Input so the game has direct access to touch and gyro). Other controllers work but DS4 and Dual Sense hit most of the features the game wants.

Also Alyx is extremely good, but not quite as accessible.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 17, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The next Left 4 Dead game will be VR exclusive, please look forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Leal posted:

The next Left 4 Dead game will be VR exclusive, please look forward to it
Not likely: I was listening to a podcast interview with a longtime Valve guy the other day, he said they tried VR L4D stuff but it was “too terrifying”. Presumably because of all the hordes trying to eat your face in stereoscopic 3D.