Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KingSlime posted:

As annoying as this is, I think the realism that you gain from this approach is more than worth it in a horror game

It's just like coming home after working for twenty five straight hours and finding the elevator's broken so you have to walk up all those stairs and now you can't remember what floor you live on and you're so tired every number on the door is just a dark smudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KingSlime posted:

Speaking of any examples of other games that have fun to play/traverse maps which accurately represent the real life locations they're supposed to be in? That might be a better question for a different thread actually
Hitman levels don't represent specific real-world places but the need for large, sprawling, non-linear maps (and bathrooms) means that they tend to feel quite realistic.

The accuracy of Assassin's Creed varies significantly over the series (and even within each game) but there are plenty of sections which are accurate models of the relevant landmarks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oni, the post marathon pre Halo Bungie game made a point that it's levels were designed by an actual architect. Likewise LA Noir has a very accurate, If condensed map
https://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/using-extreme-aerial-photography-1920s-rockstar-rebuilt-1940s-los-angeles-la-noire/

Both totally fail at actually being fun though.

Yakuza is probably the best for being reasonably accurate as well as being fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Never realised how weird the puzzles in God of War classic were. I've been playing God of War 2 now that I finally found a copy.

Just had to look one up in the swamp temple area and it wasn't that intuitive due to the room layout. It's the one with the rivers on either side of the room and you have to realise that even though they look like they are going in a straight line, they are actually circular and going arouned the room as a single stream (so you put a body in one side of the river to collect it on the other side of the room for a switch), but the middle part that you can actually see on the map during the puzzle is AFTER the gate that opens once you solve the puzzle, so you can't really see it to make that connection.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Never realised how weird the puzzles in God of War classic were. I've been playing God of War 2 now that I finally found a copy.

Just had to look one up in the swamp temple area and it wasn't that intuitive due to the room layout. It's the one with the rivers on either side of the room and you have to realise that even though they look like they are going in a straight line, they are actually circular and going arouned the room as a single stream (so you put a body in one side of the river to collect it on the other side of the room for a switch), but the middle part that you can actually see on the map during the puzzle is AFTER the gate that opens once you solve the puzzle, so you can't really see it to make that connection.

A lot of the first game's puzzles were very direct. You have a switch that opens the door, but oh no if you get off the switch the thing closes. And conveniently there's just a dude here that died two seconds ago so you can slog his body through a saw blade maze to drop it on the switch or whatever. Two will present the same problem, but there won't be a body. Instead either there's a cracked wall hidden in the room before and there's just a dead guy in there, or there's a time stop statue so you stop time, run through the frozen saw blade maze, step on the switch, then run to the open door or some variant thereof. So basically it's a lot of the same with extra steps. And that extra step is usually "stop time" or "use your latest upgrade" or "just break a wall, the solution's in there".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, Wolfenstein fails to engage in something I kinda call the Looney Tunes principle. When Bugs Bunny is hiding behind a tree, you can tell he's going to pop out because the tree looks different from the matte background. Or, to cite this meme featuring a certain set of pants:

Wolfenstein doesn't bother with this. Everything is designed to look like the matte, so the tree Bugs is behind looks like every other tree. So you get really lost because there's no visual distinction. The lone door you need to exit through looks just like the nooks and crannies which reinforcements enter through, in Wolf's case. It's a bummer because it's such a gorgeous game, I just wish they did the Valve thing and pointed lights in the direction you need to go instead of lighting scenes naturally as if they're a real place.

I kinda wish they had done the Dead Space/Binfinite thing and given you an arrow that points you in the direction you're meant to go. It's kind of admitting defeat (because you couldn't design a level that organically told the player where to go), but level design is hard. Not everyone can be Valve or Arkane.

I do remember Wolf 1 being better about guiding you where to go. TNC was just too big and too much in every direction.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
on that Silent Hill note. I recent played and beaten Space Silent Hill game Signalis, even on your first time, the whole broken door thing isnt bad imo.

though the meat level and them suddenly breaking cardinal direction connections is fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What really sucked for me in Signalis re: doors is that whether or not they'd open when I was next to them was a crapshoot. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't and I needed to wait like a second or two before me mashing the button on their prompt would do anything.

Which is real fuckin frustrating when your being chased by three enemies and really need to get through that goddamn door.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Knight witch just came out and so far its good but I dont understand the deckbuilding poo poo. It ends up so every time I use a spell, a different spell gets shuffled into that spot so I'm not entirely sure what a spell button is going to do unless I look at my hud. In a bullet hell game where I can't really take my eyes off of the action, I'd prefer to just equip a spell to each slot so I can reliably use whatever the situation calls for rather than press a spell button and hope its something useful or take my attention away to look what I have equipped and risk getting shot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
More Dark Souls bullshit since the trilogy is all I've been playing:

I've learned to deal with raining projectiles, getting mobbed, poisoned, cursed, loving my way out of side quests, falling/getting knocked off cliffs and obscure clues about what to do with certain things.

But gently caress OFF when I die because the camera is obscured by a boss where the entire screen is filled with feathers, scales, stone, fire or whatever the gently caress the giant monster is made of and I can't roll, block or attack my way out of it no matter what I try. Like when the YOU DIED screen just looks like a giant textured desktop pattern and I was unable to move for a good 20 or 30 seconds and I'm like "yes, that was fair".

Jesus Christ, game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nothing kills a game harder than bad controls and I guess bad camera is cousin to that

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's ok the camera is fixed by Elden Ring and not really an issue.

lol jk it still sucks major rear end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Callisto Protocol, but it's not to do with the story or gameplay:

The game's gore is so excessive that I kinda don't even want to play it. I'm a few hours in and it's just piles and piles of bodies all dismembered in unique weird ways to gawk at. I don't want to support this in games anymore, it frightens me that dozens of people had to look at this for hours and hours. Outlast 2, Sniper Elite, all that stuff like that. It's that Last of Us Part 2 style where every bit of viscera is modeled to look incredibly real but still fly about cartoonishly and it is so utterly misanthropic. Every single human corpse has at least 2 or 3 limbs missing. The enemies don't even seem like they should be strong enough to inflict this level of damage, especially not to you. It has to have a point even if it's to scare you and here there just is no point, it's a sea of aimless corpses you can't interact with that don't move or have items on them or anything.

edit: Remember dismembering every corpse you came across in Dead Space just in case an Infector showed up? Don't worry, Callisto pre-dismembered everything for you.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Dec 2, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I miss the 3d Fallout approach to dismembering, where the limbs fly off comedically (and there's a vague black smear at the joint instead of realistic bones and poo poo). Dismemberment is fine but come on.

I turned off the x-ray gunshot stuff in Sniper Elite after the first 20 minutes. I don't care if I hit the Nazi in the occipital or parietal lobe, I got a headshot and that's all that's important. That level of analytics can be interesting in a hunting game like Way of the Hunter, but not in shooters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Philippe posted:

I miss the 3d Fallout approach to dismembering, where the limbs fly off comedically (and there's a vague black smear at the joint instead of realistic bones and poo poo). Dismemberment is fine but come on.

I turned off the x-ray gunshot stuff in Sniper Elite after the first 20 minutes. I don't care if I hit the Nazi in the occipital or parietal lobe, I got a headshot and that's all that's important. That level of analytics can be interesting in a hunting game like Way of the Hunter, but not in shooters.
Counterpoint: Shooting Hitler in his single testicle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really great, but imo not worth the 500 times you have to see a bullet fly through a human brain like it's a ballistic gel stand-in in a CSI episode.

edit: Now if the game was ONLY shooting hitler in his testicle...

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Dec 2, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CJacobs posted:

Really great, but imo not worth the 500 times you have to see a bullet fly through a human brain like it's a ballistic gel stand-in in a CSI episode.

edit: Now if the game was ONLY shooting hitler in his testicle...
Anyone remember Dismount? Give me a version entirely about maximising Hitler testicular damage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Philippe posted:

It's been mentioned a lot before, but the worst sufferer of this is Mortal Kombat. Because they had the comical weird hyperviolence, and it worked for them, but now they've gone so far into the uncomfortably realistic stuff that they're giving their own animators PTSD. You know you've gone too far when you get to include Robocop and Rambo as guest characters, and they're on the calmer end gore-wise.

In fact MK11 was so bad that it started to become a legitimate issue for fighting game Youtubers, a whole lot of the X-ray attacks were so gruesome that they'd get pinged by Youtube moderation. D'vorah started becoming a go-to target for combo or mechanical demonstrations solely because her green blood and general meat-components didn't raise the red flags quite as high.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Splicer posted:

Anyone remember Dismount? Give me a version entirely about maximising Hitler testicular damage.

stair and truck dismount were fantastic fun

JFK reloaded, but it's just hitler's ball

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

It's been mentioned a lot before, but the worst sufferer of this is Mortal Kombat. Because they had the comical weird hyperviolence, and it worked for them, but now they've gone so far into the uncomfortably realistic stuff that they're giving their own animators PTSD. You know you've gone too far when you get to include Robocop and Rambo as guest characters, and they're on the calmer end gore-wise.

100% I place the blame on MK for this. Rancid company culture where you are on the receiving end of that drat joke from It's Always Sunny wherein your boss doesn't say you'll be fired for not engaging in gore-warfare on Slack..... but it's about the implication. Except it's not a joke, and it's really not funny. And it makes me not want to own the game when they advertise that they are selling more gruesome death animations for money as Striking Distance has for Callisto. I bought the digital deluxe version without knowing it came with that and now I want to return it but can't, I just wanted the cool witness suit that's in all these games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CJacobs posted:

100% I place the blame on MK for this. Rancid company culture where you are on the receiving end of that drat joke from It's Always Sunny wherein your boss doesn't say you'll be fired for not engaging in gore-warfare on Slack..... but it's about the implication. Except it's not a joke, and it's really not funny. And it makes me not want to own the game when they advertise that they are selling more gruesome death animations for money as Striking Distance has for Callisto. I bought the digital deluxe version without knowing it came with that and now I want to return it but can't, I just wanted the cool witness suit that's in all these games.

Sounds more like FEAR or Dead Space to me, really. There's been a trend for ultra-gory horror-themed action games for a long while now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cythereal posted:

Sounds more like FEAR or Dead Space to me, really. There's been a trend for ultra-gory horror-themed action games for a long while now.

It's Dead Island Bikini Torso levels of detached to sell extra death animations to come sometime next year, for your game which has just released.

edit: You can really tell that it is by the directors of Dead Space, incidentally. The whole "explode something messily on the other side of a window to teach you about an enemy type" thing happens in the game's trailer, even. It's... kinda disappointing given Dead Space 2 is a decade old. I really wish playing it felt more like a victory lap for these developers!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Dec 2, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It was Mortal Kombat where the devs said they were made to watch videos of slaughterhouse footage and things like that to understand how meat actually tears and really get that slightly unnecessary level of detail.

Fear or Dead Space were a little bit before that sort of fidelity became possible as well, the last couple MKs have really pushed the envelope. The devs coming out and saying "hey, this caused me issues" is what made it bad imo, if only slaughterhouse workers could get some cross training and become animators I guess.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It wasn’t so bad even 10 years ago, but nowadays graphics are good enough that it’s a different beast. Nobody is getting messed up watching someone get dissolved into a skeleton in MK2, but when it’s hyper realistic it’s definitely uncomfortable

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

A game about destroying Hitler's testicle, where every stage is just more and more elaborate setups, and his testicle becomes larger and larger. Halfway through the game, Hitler is just replaced with a large pear-shaped beige bag, and you have to see through Hitler's Ballsack's cunning disguises and kill it in various ways. The final stage is a mecha fight against a galaxy-sized Hitler's Ballsack.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Like the finale of Gurren Lagann, but against Hitler's testicle.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
The gore from the Sniper Elite death cams never bothered me, but I am bothered by the fact when you shoot someone in the head you get the xray slowmo up until the bullet hits the brain, and then the head violently snaps back immediately before the bullet continues moving. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

A game about destroying Hitler's testicle, where every stage is just more and more elaborate setups, and his testicle becomes larger and larger. Halfway through the game, Hitler is just replaced with a large pear-shaped beige bag, and you have to see through Hitler's Ballsack's cunning disguises and kill it in various ways. The final stage is a mecha fight against a galaxy-sized Hitler's Ballsack.

Is it reveled at the end of the game that you're playing as The Second Testicle?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Hitler's secret good testicle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SkeletonHero posted:

It was all down hill after he lost it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Is it reveled at the end of the game that you're playing as The Second Testicle?

SkeletonHero posted:

Don't be ridiculous. At the end you're revealed to be Stalin's testicles. Or Churchill's. Or Truman's. Whichever is the more entertaining option for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Warhammer Vermintide 2 was a good fun time with friends and each level ended with stats so i could tell my friends that they need to get their numbers way up or i could be told i need to get my numbers up

Warhammer 40k darktide removed that feature because apparently outside of playing with friends it made for a toxic environment because people are terrible. game is borderline unplayable as a result

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

Warhammer Vermintide 2 was a good fun time with friends and each level ended with stats so i could tell my friends that they need to get their numbers way up or i could be told i need to get my numbers up

Warhammer 40k darktide removed that feature because apparently outside of playing with friends it made for a toxic environment because people are terrible. game is borderline unplayable as a result

look all that matters is how many times I see my name pop up in the left hand corner and how many times I hear my character say "Oh, I'm so very, very good, aren't I?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

marshmallow creep posted:

look all that matters is how many times I see my name pop up in the left hand corner and how many times I hear my character say "Oh, I'm so very, very good, aren't I?"

i need to have that quantified so i can properly brag about my numbers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spider-Man 2018 is such a good game overall, I think I only have a couple substantial complaints. One I always forget until replaying it is how the city just fills up with groups of heavily armed prisoner escapees and paramilitary mercenary groups as you get further into the story, all of whom will attack you on sight.

It's fine story-wise, it just makes swinging around the city less fun when there's just constant sniper rifles and targeting missiles aimed at you wherever you go. I guess it's not the worst if you've already been clearing out the map challenges along the way so there's not much left to do outside missions, it just kinda brings things down compared to all the fun I had freely flying around everywhere earlier on.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JackSplater posted:

The gore from the Sniper Elite death cams never bothered me, but I am bothered by the fact when you shoot someone in the head you get the xray slowmo up until the bullet hits the brain, and then the head violently snaps back immediately before the bullet continues moving. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Of course not, this is how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBFzVqwdWc

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gore in games and movies is a spice. Some people don't like it at all, some loving love it, but it's typically better to have too little than too much. If it's all you're served, though, it's overkill and just unpleasant.

The goal is to heighten the experience of the meal, not become it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Spider-Man 2018 is such a good game overall, I think I only have a couple substantial complaints. One I always forget until replaying it is how the city just fills up with groups of heavily armed prisoner escapees and paramilitary mercenary groups as you get further into the story, all of whom will attack you on sight.

It's fine story-wise, it just makes swinging around the city less fun when there's just constant sniper rifles and targeting missiles aimed at you wherever you go. I guess it's not the worst if you've already been clearing out the map challenges along the way so there's not much left to do outside missions, it just kinda brings things down compared to all the fun I had freely flying around everywhere earlier on.

That sounds terrible. I don't have a PS but have played several Spiderman games and swinging around the city was always a highlight in the good ones. Having some projectile shitrain mechanic loving with that seems like it would suck.

Can you clear those assholes out or is it a thing that's just a perpetual part of the map once you reach a certain level or point in the story?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The core combat in Callisto feels so bad that I can't even react to the gore. They really want you to use the melee system and the melee system is feels just terrible. And the enemies are all just like...zombie dudes? Like bog-standard zombies. Except you have to play really bad Punch-Out every time you see one.

Maybe it picks up later, but even after getting the telekinesis I just keep thinking "I had more fun with Dead Space 3"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

That sounds terrible. I don't have a PS but have played several Spiderman games and swinging around the city was always a highlight in the good ones. Having some projectile shitrain mechanic loving with that seems like it would suck.

Can you clear those assholes out or is it a thing that's just a perpetual part of the map once you reach a certain level or point in the story?

It’s really only at certain parts, and also aerial combat is a blast and it’s a single button dodge.