Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
as bad as the game is reviewing it can't be as bad as edge of eternity or star ocean: the divine force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How dare you Star Ocean 6 is the best Star Ocean

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

How dare you Star Ocean 6 is the best Star Ocean

why are all the sidequests 2 story beats behind

its loving baffling

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star ocean 6 is kind of bad but that’s because it’s punching way above it’s budget. There’s heart there for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've seen a couple people comparing Calypso Protocol to Silent Hill Downpour and oof

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I did finish Downpour a couple of months ago

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
do you think glen schofield is a little to much in to mma and that's why he named his studio striking distance and made his game character dodge like a boxer

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've seen a couple people comparing Calypso Protocol to Silent Hill Downpour and oof

So a game similar to Star Ocean 6, kinda bad but punching above its weight? At least it isn't Homecoming.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ah yes, what every horror game needs:

paid death animations

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I assumed those were because the DLC added new enemies or environments which would have new animations when those things killed you and they just chose to present that in the dumbest way but maybe it's not that?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
didn't the death animation stuff turn out to be all bullshit for new content being released months from now

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 2, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BisbyWorl posted:

Ah yes, what every horror game needs:

paid death animations

I remember seeing that pop up before the game launched and it was so ridiculous I thought that it must be a joke. I guess not.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Gesadt posted:

eh, like any reviewer you got to know how his and yours tastes overlap. e.g. he liked evil west, which i thought is boring waste of time, so we like different things (or find different things more important), cool. that's all there is to it.

same with gman who is closer to my tastes in games
https://youtu.be/dCB3ysR6rVI

I'm mostly going off the visual of the footage he used. It's the first time I've seen the game running like that, and it adds a visual context to what a lot of reviews - not just Skillup's - have described.

It looks like they've gone for something new and unique in this space, which is to be applauded on the whole, but I don't think what they were going for has landed at all. It looks like a system that's fundamentally broken in some very specific ways, and there's more than just a couple of reviewers pointing to that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

poo poo I forgot Them And Us (terrible name but a sweet game) and Nightmare of Decay. I have yet to try Eternal Evil but I have heard okay things.

Don't sleep on In Sound Mind and Cry of Fear 2 Remorse: The List.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“full of jumpscares”

nope. no. I’m done. no more of this. I am not indulging any more of the BWOOGA WOOGA bullshit

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Disposable Scud posted:

poo poo I forgot Them And Us (terrible name but a sweet game) and Nightmare of Decay. I have yet to try Eternal Evil but I have heard okay things.

Grab some popcorn and turn off your brain for the plot of Eternal Evil but otherwise I think it's a solid game. Especially for being made by a solo dev! I haven't played since early access so I couldn't tell you how the rebalancing that happened for full release feels, but the game is very much worth more than the cost of entry.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

This is totally what it is, but I would implore the people who make these comparisons to actually go back and play Dead Space 1 again because Dead Space 1 is just a game where you run forward and blast a million enemies and so is Dead Space 2 but DS2 does literally everything better. It's way less Alien vs Aliens and more like Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 2.People just think DS2 is some sort of shift because they forgot what DS1 actually was.

i played through both back-to-back about a year ago. While its true that both are action-horror games, it’s definitely fair to say that DS1 leans more into the horror while DS2 leans more into the action. There are several reasons for this.

For one, the pace of DS1 is much more deliberate than 2. Its starts slower, Isaac is slower and more sluggish in general, there are much fewer setpiece scenes, the list goes on. DS2 literally starts with a necromorph screaming in Isaac’s face and he blasts from location to location at a break-neck pace. The game seems terrified of letting the player get bored so youre never more than 15 minutes away from some crazy action set-piece.

Another point is that DS2 Isaac is much more capable than DS1 Isaac. He has better melee, can move around quicker, has much stronger weapons and abilities, and generally acts like hes done this all before. DS1 Isaac moves at a slower pace and is less capable overall, giving the played a much stronger sense of vulnerability, which lends itself better to horror

My last point is that the USS Ishimura is a much scarier location than the space station that DS2 takes in. You feel much more trapped and exposed in the Ishimura cause youre going to all these locations in it that most ppl arent supposed to go to. The space station is better lit and feels more friendly to navigate. The scariest part in DS2, imo, is when you go back to the dry-docked Ishimura. They even show restraint in that section and dont have any enemies for several minutes until youre balls deep in the ship and cant escape easily.

Like i said, theyre both action-horror games, but when you play them back-to-back it becomes very obvious what part of that genre they each focused on. This is not to say that one is better than the other, though. I think both games are fantastic for similar, yet meaningfully different reasons. I guess i should ask when was the last time that you played them, cause i dont know how one can think that it’s ridiculous that the first game is scarier while the second is more action focused

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly, I got my fill of action horror with the original Dead Space. Games like Signalis are far more appealing to me, games that mix up existing concepts in an interesting way or outright do something new or very rare.

(Control doesn’t really count as horror, but it was cool as gently caress, so I think it deserves a mention anyway.)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Pollyanna posted:

(Control doesn’t really count as horror, but it was cool as gently caress, so I think it deserves a mention anyway.)

I'm playing through Control at the minute, and I think it absolutely qualifies as horror-adjacent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Adjacent sure, but like Twilight Zone or SCP horror, not Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror. Where the horror is existential rather than survival.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
it is truly a horror that Finnish people exist

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
This thread has saved me so much loving money on games, it's ridiculous. Really glad i waited for GOON OPINIONS on Callisto Protocol. At least I still have Dead Space to look forward to.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

WaltherFeng posted:

I watched some Callisto Protocol gameplay and I didn't really get excited from it.

The monsters seemed rather unimpressive looking, even zombies in RE2 were more unnerving.

The gameplay had some strange bits like a comically long slide down a sewage pipe and then the player died at the end of it which is probably going to be a lot of fun.

You apparently have kinetic power thing and you can use it push enemies around but in the trailer you just used it to put enemies into meat grinders so you won't have to spend 2 mags worth of ammo on a single regenerating enemy.

I don't know something about the game seems off it didn't get me super hyped like RE4make despite them being in the similar genre.

Even a goon is right once in a while

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with Callisto protocol is that it isn't even "love it or hate it" it seems to be "acceptable or awful". And that's not acceptable for a game that costs as much as it does.

Also, as someone who didn't really follow it at all until the reviews came out, the monster design seems pretty basic and boring to me..that's really sad. The necromorphs are pretty iconic to me, and a big part of horror game appeal is the monster design. So much of it seems to be "dead space, but worse"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Was Callisto Protocol the game that was shown this year with the main character getting caught in machinery or was that the other Space Survival Horror that isn't Dead Space coming up.

I was gonna grab it this week to preload for today but something just made me pause for a moment to wait and see and now I'm glad I did

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Was Callisto Protocol the game that was shown this year with the main character getting caught in machinery or was that the other Space Survival Horror that isn't Dead Space coming up.

I was gonna grab it this week to preload for today but something just made me pause for a moment to wait and see and now I'm glad I did

Yeah it’s that game. It’s also the game that was originally announced as being part of the PUBG universe but they dropped that quickly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

Popped my computer on this morning to finish the preload for Callisto P before work and uh, I don't remember getting the deluxe edition but it apparently got added to my account? Has this happened to anyone else?

Not gonna complain about a free upgrade but I just found it kind of odd and wanted to check if others got in the thread got it too.

Gonna bump this cause I'm genuinely curious.

I'll reserve my opinions till I get to play it, though if need be I'll wait for a patch to fix the stuttering issues. I'd be surprised if there isn't one by the end of the day, blows my mind if it really is copy protection that got left in though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Evil Kit posted:

Gonna bump this cause I'm genuinely curious.

I'll reserve my opinions till I get to play it, though if need be I'll wait for a patch to fix the stuttering issues. I'd be surprised if there isn't one by the end of the day, blows my mind if it really is copy protection that got left in though.

It happens pretty often. Denuvo makes the game run like poo poo and either you wait for them to remove it after an outcry making the whole thing a waste of money and goodwill or they manage to patch it to make it bearable.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am playing through the Medium, and it made me realize how much I hate stealth missions with an instant fail system built in. I read that the stealth missions are far and few in between but the way it's implemented in this game has to be one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've come across in a while. I'm getting flashbacks to Outlast 2 where after the 10th death while you find your way out of a maze, my frustration overtook fear and I ended up uninstalling the entire thing.

The stunning visuals and interesting story will probably force me to tread through it. Terrible game design.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
a sad day

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It happens pretty often. Denuvo makes the game run like poo poo and either you wait for them to remove it after an outcry making the whole thing a waste of money and goodwill or they manage to patch it to make it bearable.

My experiences with Denuvo have been pretty unnoticeable tbh, I've played a bunch of games that have it where people bitch that Denuvo is ruining the game somehow and I kinda just... don't see it?

Like maybe part of that is just being so used to poo poo computers that barely run the games I really wanted to play (literally bare minimum specs or even slightly below but pushed through anyway). Now I have a PC that's been able to run whatever I want to play on mostly high settings and any stutters are just accepted cause I've "just" got a 2070 Super card.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Evil Kit posted:

My experiences with Denuvo have been pretty unnoticeable tbh, I've played a bunch of games that have it where people bitch that Denuvo is ruining the game somehow and I kinda just... don't see it?

Like maybe part of that is just being so used to poo poo computers that barely run the games I really wanted to play (literally bare minimum specs or even slightly below but pushed through anyway). Now I have a PC that's been able to run whatever I want to play on mostly high settings and any stutters are just accepted cause I've "just" got a 2070 Super card.

Just an example I remembered, interesting read and the testing was done by Digital Foundry

https://www.pcgamer.com/resident-evil-village-drm-denuvo-stuttering/

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Watching Callisto a bit and it made really made me appreciate Resident Evil. Callisto got some jarring animation cuts especially with like death animations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Another point is that DS2 Isaac is much more capable than DS1 Isaac. He has better melee, can move around quicker, has much stronger weapons and abilities, and generally acts like hes done this all before. DS1 Isaac moves at a slower pace and is less capable overall, giving the played a much stronger sense of vulnerability, which lends itself better to horror

DS2 isaac learned how to turn on a dime, it's that rush you get after surviving one xenomorph carnage, i haven't played 3 but he's probably vaulting over the crabmen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3 is mainly shooting human enemies from cover.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
booo, they should be doing RE6 gunfu

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

3 is mainly shooting human enemies from cover.

I enjoyed coop-ing it with a random goon. Sending out roombas to collect crafting materials on IRL timers like a loving mobile game was dogshit though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sad to hear about callisto. might end up holding off for a sale, especially since i'm stuck playing the denuvo-ridden PC port if i wanted to try it

if it truly is a turkey it'll probably be 15% off next year, and that might be a more acceptable price for a middling experience

poe meater posted:

Watching Callisto a bit and it made really made me appreciate Resident Evil. Callisto got some jarring animation cuts especially with like death animations.

capcom had the license to build a new engine from the ground up for RE7, since they knew they'd be using it for a whole series of remakes and mainline titles, so it's tailor made for horror games with how it tweens animations and deforms body parts

unreal engine 4 is a workhorse, but it's also very much a generalist engine that's hard to contort into a really focused shape if you're trying to do something where the animations and atmosphere matter a ton like a horror game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Floor is lava posted:

I enjoyed coop-ing it with a random goon. Sending out roombas to collect crafting materials on IRL timers like a loving mobile game was dogshit though.

On release there were actual loot boxes and micro transactions for being the resources your roombas could bring you back... except the roombas brought back pittances of the high end stuff.

I don't remember all the details but it was pretty bad. Also the plot sucks, they assassinate the hell out of Ellie's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dead space 3 is this weird time capsule of MTX when they were still figuring out what worked and what didn't, so it's a mixture of standard lootbox stuff, "pay for convenience" mobile game poo poo, and some truly bizarre inclusions like a voice pack for your gathering drone (??????)