Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cythereal posted:

I only have two bases now. :v: I disassembled Mushroom Kingdom and Xochimilco for materials to make The Maw, positioned at the mouth of the river cave thing that gave me strong 'gateway to the final dungeon' vibes.

Yep, assemble the maridia base just before the lower norfair base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I only have two bases now. :v: I disassembled Mushroom Kingdom and Xochimilco for materials to make The Maw, positioned at the mouth of the river cave thing that gave me strong 'gateway to the final dungeon' vibes.

Nice dick

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was asked in another chat thread what I think is going on in Subnautica and what I think my goals are once I finish upgrading my kit, so here's my speculation since this thread's enjoyed that kind of thing. Putting all this in spoilers per previous requests.

1. I know that the mountain island installation is powered by a geothermal plant. I suspect that this ties into the vents I've seen on the sea floor, that the geothermal power plant uses seawater for cooling and uses these vents for cycling coolant water.

2. To disable the mountain installation, I'll need to reach the geothermal plant in the volcanic heart of the caldera and turn it off.

3. Somewhere down there is also a disease research facility, which I suspect has the cure for the disease. I further suspect that these telepathic hallucinations are the last living alien trying to contact me.

4. The research facility, and maybe power plant, were damaged and perhaps blocked off by either a sea monster attack or a volcanic eruption, and the alien entombed below can't escape on their own.

5. Something is definitely going on with the peepers but I'm not sure what. Maybe the alien in the facility has modified them into remote probes to reach and keep tabs on the surface, using the coolant system for the geothermal plant to send them up?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Without saying too much, you've noticed a lot of the right pieces. How many of those pieces you assembled correctly varies wildly between your different theories, but they're all reasonable given what you know.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A tip: sometimes you can scan a type of creature again if there's a property that's weird about one of them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I was asked in another chat thread what I think is going on in Subnautica and what I think my goals are once I finish upgrading my kit, so here's my speculation since this thread's enjoyed that kind of thing. Putting all this in spoilers per previous requests.

1. I know that the mountain island installation is powered by a geothermal plant. I suspect that this ties into the vents I've seen on the sea floor, that the geothermal power plant uses seawater for cooling and uses these vents for cycling coolant water.

2. To disable the mountain installation, I'll need to reach the geothermal plant in the volcanic heart of the caldera and turn it off.

3. Somewhere down there is also a disease research facility, which I suspect has the cure for the disease. I further suspect that these telepathic hallucinations are the last living alien trying to contact me.

4. The research facility, and maybe power plant, were damaged and perhaps blocked off by either a sea monster attack or a volcanic eruption, and the alien entombed below can't escape on their own.

5. Something is definitely going on with the peepers but I'm not sure what. Maybe the alien in the facility has modified them into remote probes to reach and keep tabs on the surface, using the coolant system for the geothermal plant to send them up?

:munch:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do have a feeling that I'm either overlooking something important or there's a big twist on my assumptions in the future, probably involving the peepers, but this is my reasoning and assumptions at present.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cythereal posted:

I love this post. Unironically, without sarcasm or any winking or nudging, I love it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

:stare:

I'm pretty sure that thing's bigger than a reaper. Fortunately it was busy chasing an ampeel.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Frig this game is so good.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
Warhammer 40k: Darktide with the boys
Finally bought Total Warhammer 3

All the insanity that is the end of a semester of teaching...

and these posts have got me downloading Subnautica again. What is it about this game that is just...so addictive? My fault for reading the thread but godspeed Cythereal

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

I do have a feeling that I'm either overlooking something important or there's a big twist on my assumptions in the future, probably involving the peepers, but this is my reasoning and assumptions at present.

What you're missing is what would be revealed if you checked your radio.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm seeing this new fellow a bunch around the ghost kelp area and he doesn't seem to give a poo poo about me going about my business. Haven't managed to scan him yet, but he mostly seems interested in loving up every ampeel in sight.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love this post. Unironically, without sarcasm or any winking or nudging, I love it.

They're the kind of thing that make me wish I could blank my mind just so I could enjoy games for the first time again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm seeing this new fellow a bunch around the ghost kelp area and he doesn't seem to give a poo poo about me going about my business. Haven't managed to scan him yet, but he mostly seems interested in loving up every ampeel in sight.

What does it look like, or are you talking about ol' Translucent Blue from your other post?

If it's him, uhhh..... :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What does it look like, or are you talking about ol' Translucent Blue from your other post?

If it's him, uhhh..... :stare:

Cythereal posted:

:stare:

I'm pretty sure that thing's bigger than a reaper. Fortunately it was busy chasing an ampeel.

After spending a couple batteries of stasis rifle on it, I've learned that this is a juvenile ghost, and he comes out into the ghost kelp at night. As long as I keep the lights off he doesn't seem to care about me, which I was doing anyway after I saw a crabsquid down here.

I've also seen a warper or two, which makes me think my instincts that this cave is important are right. Warpers always seem to hang out around plot areas, and I'm starting to think it isn't a coincidence. Same thing as going on with the peepers, perhaps.

My theory at the moment is that peepers are the alien probes, which would make warpers alien guardians or soldiers. But the not-Prothean has seemed friendly where the warpers are hostile. Perhaps what happened to the alien facility was an attack, and peepers and warpers were created by two separate alien races? Or perhaps the not-Prothean lost control of the warpers? And how does the Kharaa fit into this? I don't know yet, but I suspect the answers lie deeper still.

Beyond the new arrival, no meaningful progress from this evening. Just chilling with The Great British Baking Show on audio while I gathered, crafted, and stuffed a complete scanner outpost into the cyclops as I hunted for wrecks with upgrade schematics.

I think I'm ready to tackle the Underdark tomorrow.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 2, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Beyond the new arrival, no meaningful progress from this evening. Just chilling with The Great British Baking Show on audio while I gathered, crafted, and stuffed a complete scanner outpost into the cyclops as I hunted for wrecks with upgrade schematics.

Ah yes, fond memories of trip planning, with lists and everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, I played a bit more. On the one hand, I found nickel. On the other hand, I made new friends.

Playing the game from the sea floor is quite a different perspective, but drilling for minerals is worth it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My wife and I are currently playing Valheim with another couple (our best friends), and I keep wanting multiplayer Subnautica to be our next game, but aside from some janky mod, we can't :negative:

They're the ones who are showing us around Valheim, helping us out, because they already had 100+ hours in it before us, but goddamn, I want us to be able to show them around 4546b.

Edit: I can just imagine two of us piloting the Cyclops, and the other two doing little away missions; one of us in the seamoth, the other in the PRAWN suit. :allears:

Aaaauuugggghhh.... I'd be super happy if Subnautica 3 is just S1 with a few more places thrown in, and full on co-op multiplayer. I need this in my life.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 2, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Well, I played a bit more. On the one hand, I found nickel. On the other hand, I made new friends.

Mine him. Bzzzzzz.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If one's going to wrassle a leviathan, one should know that the punchy arm fucks them up a lot faster than the drill. Think of Riley in the Prawn suit as sort of a technological mantis shrimp!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
This is true. The PRAWN's default claws are by far the most dangerous vehicle weapon in the game (except, maybe, for a full speed ramming from the cyclops). Punching giant critters in the face is way more effective than drilling 'em for what's inside.

(of course, some people just find the latter a lot more satisfying, and to that I say: no wrong ways to play)

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Statis rifle + knife, just stab every leviathan and don't stop stabbing

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

jerman999 posted:

Statis rifle + knife, just stab every leviathan and don't stop stabbing

Booooring.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't attack the poor endangered animals that are just defending their babies :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I found the game a lot more fun trying to avoid the big creepies rather than beating them up. The ghost leviathans, especially, just aren't that aggressive, go slow and keep out of their way and you are fine.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Now, I'm not advocating senseless violence, mind. I'm just saying.

Ideally, you don't want to have to attack them at all, because that just means they'll run away after they get a taste of their own medicine. If they do, they'll wind up in a different spot than they usually hang out at, disrupting the ecosystem as an invasive species.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe I've played too much Doom 2016, but if there's a motherfucker in your way, you rip and tear yourself a way through.*

:black101:

*This mainly applies to crabsquids, because gently caress those things in the eye with a knife.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Other than the weird headcrab things in the aurora wreck I generally left the hostile wildlife alone as long as it left me alone. If they attacked I would stun them or give them a bloody nose but that's about it

The headcrabs, though? That's a knifing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Other than the weird headcrab things in the aurora wreck I generally left the hostile wildlife alone as long as it left me alone. If they attacked I would stun them or give them a bloody nose but that's about it

The headcrabs, though? That's a knifing

Use the gravity gun and launch them across the ocean, it’s much more fun.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve died to them too much, this is now their standard treatment.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The dirty little leech things in there were also extremely annoying and deserving of death. But the big boy leviathans? Eh, no big deal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cartoon Man posted:

This is what I did, and I barely encountered any in the Aurora. Turns out there are two ways in - the intended way near the cargo bay, but there's also a back entrance at the science lab that I found first (because silly me thought the not-as-damaged aft of the Aurora was where I'd find an entrance).

All the ones on the islands got knifed, though.

I will say that while my feelings about Subnautica remain generally positive, my time with the game last night showcased a few real weaknesses:

1. Finding and gathering materials can be very tedious. Looking for the correct lumpy gray thing and clicking on it is not exciting when I have a shopping list of some 50 or 60 individual bits and bobs I need. Scanner rooms help, but even upgraded for max range they're often not as helpful as I'd wish, particularly when some bit or other just isn't found in this biome and I need to trek out to another part of the map to get it. In retrospect I could have planned things out more efficiently, but still.

2. For as big and pretty as the world of Subnautica is, a lot of it ultimately feels pointless. I spent a lot of time shuttling around the map with my cyclops and my scanner-base-in-a-box looking for just the right kind of bits and bobs I wanted.

3. Looking for one particular item or resource can be an exercise in frustration. I finally cracked open the wiki in earnest last night (don't worry, I didn't click on anything I didn't recognize the name of) to find a couple of particular things because I couldn't tell if they were in a place I just hadn't been yet, were in a place I had been but didn't notice the two-pixel difference in that gray-brown smudge on the bottom, were in a wreck I may or may not have been to before and may or may not have finished looting (and no way to tell at a glance!), or were just out of sight and I'd never noticed nor had a scanner room in the right place to tell.

4. Even with the wiki's help, the lack of a map and an in-game coordinate system sucks rear end.

These are all obstacles I was able to overcome, but they have put a damper on my enthusiasm for the game. There's still a couple resources left that I haven't found yet but need for upgrades I have schematics for, and at this point I'm just hoping that the obvious path forward into what I now know is called the Lost River will guide me to them as it did finding nickel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keep in mind by avoiding the radio you're avoiding a lot of draws. You know the other lifepods you stumble across occasionally? You pick up beacons from many when the game thinks it's time to draw you to that area of the map and find what's in the pod or in the surrounds.

Speaking of beacons, don't be afraid to abuse dozens and dozens of them and absolutely cover the map at anything remotely interesting or where resources are or even as guidestones along paths.

Are you exclusively using the Cyclops now? The seamoth is still way faster to just get in and zoom for quick resource gathering treks, unless you need prawn.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 2, 2022

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
yeah, if you carry around a bunch of beacons and drop them all the time (manage which ones are visible from your pda) and you should never get lost again. IMO the existance of a map, an automap in particular, would really hurt the game.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I leave leviathans alone, except for one that seems to always start poo poo over by the red grassland area. Usually lasso that prick and drill to death while riding it into the shallows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

Are you exclusively using the Cyclops now? The seamoth is still way faster to just get in and zoom for quick resource gathering treks, unless you need prawn.

I'm using the Cyclops when I'm hauling more poo poo than the seamoth can carry, like all the materials for a no-frills scanner base.

Honestly, I hate the Cyclops. It's convenient for when I need what it can do, but it's a pain in the rear end to use. Especially for approaching the Maw, I've learned that I need to approach that place from a very particular direction and heading.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

yeah, if you carry around a bunch of beacons and drop them all the time (manage which ones are visible from your pda) and you should never get lost again. IMO the existance of a map, an automap in particular, would really hurt the game.

I would prefer having an automated way to track where I've been and whether I've collected all the goodies from a given wreck.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, there are mods that provide a map that has fog on unexplored areas, it’s an option.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s intentionally not done for more tension and immersion in that your a crash survivor alone on a hostile planet. But I get how it bothers people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's a good choice since the whole game is about the unknown but on a replay I would definitely install the map mod.