Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last 2 years have been so insane for television I have trouble even picking favorites at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Pretty dang big in one scene

I believe it was a Variety review that had the beautiful description of “his massive penis unfurling like a silk tie”.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I think White Lotus is legitimately my new favorite series now that it's 2 for 2

Maybe the ending is going to be awful.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Starks posted:

Note: does not apply to Vince Vaughan in true detective

Or comedies!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

He did promise to explain the loose ends on twitter if this happened

Here it is:

https://flanaganfilm.tumblr.com/post/702543785726558208/the-midnight-club-season-two

Honestly there’s nothing all that interesting or surprising for people who were into Season 1. People had it pretty well figured out already.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That dick in The White Lotus was prosthetic. Doesnt count.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yep White Lotus might be my top show of 2022.

Started watching From and liking it so far. It feels like a better version of Wayward Pines crossed with Stephen King. I just realized the main dad played Webster in Band of Brothers.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just finished Wayward Pines last weekend and all I could think of was how badly I need From seasons 2.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only real complaint so far, is From suffers from the badly written teenager syndrome. Anytime the daughter is on screen it is just painful to watch.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished Warrior Nun season 2 and it was incredibly stupid and fun. Would recommend.

Now where the hell is the second season of 30 Coins???

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, I've never seen either season, but I saw a lot of people saying it was their favorite show of the year. If my favorite shows of the year were House of the Dragon and White Lotus, would I like Warrior Nun?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin any good? I like everyone in it but I've never heard any buzz about it. And liking everyone involved doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie, sometimes the more people I like the worse it is e.g. The Dead Don't Die.

We introduced our daughter to Enchanted last weekend, which was cute. I didn't remember much. Felt like it could do more considering it was made by Disney, the company that made fairy tale princesses mainstream. We watched Disenchanted today and weren't impressed. Did you like the characters from the first movie? Too bad, because most of them suffer ego-death at the hands of a wish and spend the entire movie being not-themselves. It's fine, with some entertaining musical numbers and even Idina Menzel gets to sing something that isn't a Frozen song. But even Wreck-It Ralph 2 had more commentary on the Disney Princess phenomenon than this.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I've never seen either season, but I saw a lot of people saying it was their favorite show of the year. If my favorite shows of the year were House of the Dragon and White Lotus, would I like Warrior Nun?

It’s nothing like those. Closer to a marvel series except with more gore. I like the weird biblical bullshit though so it was right up my alley.

It sounds like you have HBO so you should give 30 Coins a shot. Same type of biblical conspiracy craziness but more on the horror side than comic bookey.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Is An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin any good? I like everyone in it but I've never heard any buzz about it. And liking everyone involved doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie, sometimes the more people I like the worse it is e.g. The Dead Don't Die.

It's not good.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

LifeLynx posted:

We introduced our daughter to Enchanted last weekend, which was cute. I didn't remember much. Felt like it could do more considering it was made by Disney, the company that made fairy tale princesses mainstream. We watched Disenchanted today and weren't impressed. Did you like the characters from the first movie? Too bad, because most of them suffer ego-death at the hands of a wish and spend the entire movie being not-themselves. It's fine, with some entertaining musical numbers and even Idina Menzel gets to sing something that isn't a Frozen song. But even Wreck-It Ralph 2 had more commentary on the Disney Princess phenomenon than this.

I was stoked for Evening with Beverly Luff Lin after watching the Greasy Strangler, but somehow, despite the great cast, the movie didn't click with me at all. Something about it just doesn't work. I think the director's style works better with less familiar, weirder actors (like in Greasy Strangler). The movie is full of strange characters that are played mostly straight for some reason. I wouldn't say it's outright bad, but it's surprisingly bland.

Seconding your take on Disenchated. I watched it with my family after watching Enchated for the first time (which is a fun movie), and it was really disappointing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ginny & Georgia season 2 is coming to Netflix on January 5th. Hopefully they resolve all the plotlines before it gets cancelled!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

It was bad, I gave up on it about halfway in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

It's the guy that did the Greasy Strangler, so if you know anything about that you'll know everything you need to know. It's very intentionally weird and off putting. I don't really like his style. It's like it's trying too hard. Like a Tim and Eric sketch that is just trying to be weird instead of funny.

Beverly Luff Linn was watchable imo, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m watching Troll 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m watching Troll 2022

How is it? Can you give a 5-recent-kaiju-movies ranking and put it in there?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No sorry. It’s pretty dumb but it’s in Scandinavian so it seems smart. The troll cgi looks really good on my little tv. The dog doesn’t die

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Troll is basically a Godzilla/Kong script with Norwegian flavor. I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything groundbreaking

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It was not great. they spend the whole movie flip flopping between humanizing the troll and trying to think of elaborate ways to kill him. Then they make peace with him just in time for the sun to come up and he dies. The end. Wtf?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Just watch Troll Hunter instead

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

It's the guy that did the Greasy Strangler, so if you know anything about that you'll know everything you need to know. It's very intentionally weird and off putting. I don't really like his style. It's like it's trying too hard. Like a Tim and Eric sketch that is just trying to be weird instead of funny.

Beverly Luff Linn was watchable imo, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

I watched the Greasy Strangler on win98's feed and boy was that something. Off-putting is putting it mildly.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty great if you're like 8 years old though.

I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago and thought it was solid. It holds up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ginny & Georgia is actually good by the way. I know the typical forums poster is not the audience for it, but it's good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Just watch Troll Hunter instead

I saw the previews for Troll and I was immediately like oh poo poo they completely ripped off Troll Hunter on that monster design. Not that it hasn't been done before but it looked exactly like a few of them

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

You can ignore pretty much everybody's reviews for this movie as it's as pure a love it or hate it movie as you can get. If they loved it or hated it will likely have no real bearing on your enjoyment.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Don't know if I missed some of the subtitles or what, but did anyone else have an issue following what people were trying to accomplish in the Netflix Troll? For instance, the scene where they confront the troll with bells hanging from helicopters. You'd think they'd be used to drive it away from population centers, but instead they completely surround it at close range. What was their picture of that going well?

Solid looking, though, with the obvious inspiration from the recent American Godzilla and Kong movies.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Simplex posted:

You can ignore pretty much everybody's reviews for this movie as it's as pure a love it or hate it movie as you can get. If they loved it or hated it will likely have no real bearing on your enjoyment.

I liked An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin. It's quite different from The Greasy Strangler, with a surprisingly touching relationship between Matt Berry and Craig Robinson. What the evening turns out to be is the highlight of the film.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Medullah posted:

Troll is basically a Godzilla/Kong script with Norwegian flavor. I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything groundbreaking

It's fine but no Trollhunter. And it does flipflop a lot in the monster characterization.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Don't know if I missed some of the subtitles or what, but did anyone else have an issue following what people were trying to accomplish in the Netflix Troll? For instance, the scene where they confront the troll with bells hanging from helicopters. You'd think they'd be used to drive it away from population centers, but instead they completely surround it at close range. What was their picture of that going well?

Solid looking, though, with the obvious inspiration from the recent American Godzilla and Kong movies.

No, it's definitely underwritten. They just forget about the bells. And why not just play the sound of bells on speakers?The kings assistant just waits for someone to show up and ask him.about trolls. Then he really doesn't have a solution. Why did they trap the troll king up country? And the UV lamp trap at the end is like the bells - what's the endgame?,

You could probably explain away most of these questions but there's a lot of them

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

wait is Troll not a Trollhunter sequel?

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
Tryin to jump on the Wednesday bandwagon... only one episode so far and although the casting of Morticia and Gomez seems ok, I cannot for the life of me understand the direction they were given to be all hushed, breathy and weird with each other. The rest of the show seems fine and it doesn't seem like the folks are a major part of it but just found that choice to be really, really odd.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Famethrowa posted:

wait is Troll not a Trollhunter sequel?

Nope, just both based on similar mythologies

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

amaguri posted:

Tryin to jump on the Wednesday bandwagon... only one episode so far and although the casting of Morticia and Gomez seems ok, I cannot for the life of me understand the direction they were given to be all hushed, breathy and weird with each other. The rest of the show seems fine and it doesn't seem like the folks are a major part of it but just found that choice to be really, really odd.

Yeah I'm one episode in.

It's okay. Wednesday's dialogue is a little idk, cliched but hell I enjoyed at least the first season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina so I should have the fortitude to bear with this a little longer.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

amaguri posted:

Yeah, I felt likewise about Luis Guzmán's performance. It felt so quiet and subdued, and very...un-Addams like? It could also be that when I think of Gomez Addams, I just tend to automatically associate it with Raul Julia 's performance more than anything else in the 90's movies, which makes this almost jarring by comparison.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

maybe its to bring attention to wednesday and away from the goofy parents. they have goofier scenes in the later episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

The last 2 years have been so insane for television I have trouble even picking favorites at this point.

Agreed. Just in 2020-2022 I loved:
Barry
The White Lotus
Andor
Severance
House of the Dragon
Stranger Things S4
Arcane
The Queen's Gambit
Loki
Invincible
Reservation Dogs
What We Do in the Shadows
The Bear
Only Murders in the Building
Devs
Midnight Mass

...and I liked a whole lot more. Probably missing some of my favorites in there too.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 5, 2022