Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

JoylessJester posted:

The real self selecting criteria for vox pops is that they do them in the middle of a weekday outside of the nearest chain pub.

They are always a pain in the arse to do and I loathe them, and completely pointless as has been mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Scum is one of the worst for going on about scroungers and strivers and claimants yet must have a readership including claimants!
Reminds me of when the tories got in and instantly started cutting the threshold for ESA, and there was an interview with a guy in one of the red tops saying "I voted for them to crack down on benefits, I wasn't expecting them to crack down on my benefits!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think there's little point trying to refute some of these with evidence - the right seriously do not give a fig for data and evidence.
Can't remember if it was on here or a comedy bit, but someone saying the only way to fight them is to out-weird them. So if they start complaining about the moon landing being fake, come back with "What, you believe in the moon? Wake up!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Convex posted:

It's people that believe they know and understand everything in the universe based entirely on what they have personally seen and experienced so far in life. They don't want to admit they're wrong or bad people when confronted with difficult situations, so just make new exceptions as and when they are needed to excuse treating unknowns completely differently to actual people they have met

Bolded part rings particularly true in my experience, yeah.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

Bolded part rings particularly true in my experience, yeah.

lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What's funny?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's also that if they admit they are wrong, they would have to adjust a huge amount of things and many people just can't handle that. Finding out you are ideologically wrong and have genuinely caused harm by your beliefs is staggering and its much easier to take any other path.

Look at the "where are you from" stuff from the palace recently where a huge furore occured and many personal friends of the horrid woman were saying stuff like "i ask people where they are from all the time and I'm not a racist!!"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Barry Foster posted:

What's funny?

Think just some tepid irony that you said that 'in your experience' people base their beliefs and opinions 'on their experience'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Think just some tepid irony that you said that 'in your experience' people base their beliefs and opinions 'on their experience'.

Oh. I kinda figured that went without saying. I was originally going to hang a lampshade on how I am particularly prone to doing it because of my lovely personality, but I didn't want to make it all about me and what I do

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Reminds me of when the tories got in and instantly started cutting the threshold for ESA, and there was an interview with a guy in one of the red tops saying "I voted for them to crack down on benefits, I wasn't expecting them to crack down on my benefits!

Should I say the line? Seems kind of redundant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I find open mockery works best. Conservatism should be bullied. Appeals to someone's better nature rarely works, bullying works.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Also it relies on them having a better nature in the first place.

escapegoat posted:

Should I say the line? Seems kind of redundant.
I didn't expect these escaping goats to escape from my farm!

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

I find open mockery works best. Conservatism should be bullied. Appeals to someone's better nature rarely works, bullying works.

Perhaps somewhat OOC for me, but I heartily endorse this event or product.

In the sense that I don't condone explicit bullying of course; instead all you have to do is wait for their complaints, tell them the truth gently ("well, this is what you voted for" and go from there) and their fragile little egos will interpret it as bullying anyway. Don't bully the person, bully their stupid loving opinions out of them.

Neoliberalism destroys everyone in the end, so it's a target-rich environment.

If nothing else they'll stop trying to talk politics with you, so it's a win whatever happens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scientastic posted:

One thing I really hate is whenever you say this, you are always greeted with a load of well-meaning people who say that they’re not stupid or bad people, they are just misinformed and you shouldn’t look down on them.

No, some people are just loving horrible and stupid and they hate everyone who doesn’t look or think like them because they are nasty. It’s OK to admit that, and not try to court that part of the electorate.

Also even if it isn't intrinsic you can still be circumstancially loving thick.

escapegoat posted:

I read somewhere that conservatives tend to be kind, generous people to those they personally know but have zero compassion for those they don't. Stories in this thread would seem to confirm that.

I would not describe the ones I know as kind and generous, i would describe them as controlling. This can take the form of giving things to people but it is done on their terms. And they are likely to expect something in return down the line. They won't do things that actually empower other people but they may occasionally do things to keep them alive if they think they might be useful later.

The sort of person who brings a pile of unsellable stuff to a charity shop and then gets huffy if you say "sorry we can't use any of that"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 2, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mugsbaloney posted:

A nation of Sackville-Bagginses

Be fair, at least Lobelia eventually gave a villain a good umbrella-ing once she got narked enough.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Also even if it isn't intrinsic you can still be circumstancially loving thick.

I would not describe the ones I know as kind and generous, i would describe them as controlling. This can take the form of giving things to people but it is done on their terms. And they are likely to expect something in return down the line. They won't do things that actually empower other people but they may occasionally do things to keep them alive if they think they might be useful later.

The sort of person who brings a pile of unsellable stuff to a charity shop and then gets huffy if you say "sorry we can't use any of that"

I’ve not found that to be universally the case. Some are just nice, until they get onto the topic of strangers (especially foreign ones). Being controlling is on another axis I think, and isn’t absent from the political left either.

The vox pop thing mostly struck me as terribly sad. That guy who was self employed was virtually in tears of what looked a lot like shame and self loathing. Like Guava said a lot of the racism / Tory talking points are a kind of mantra: say that and maybe it will ward off the evil spirits. Mostly it looked like broken people with no idea of what went wrong or how to make it better.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You all would enjoy the short story The Wages of Humanity by Liu Cixin.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

You all would enjoy the short story The Wages of Humanity by Liu Cixin.

Oh hell yeah I’ll get on this.

I’d highly recommend his flagship series, starting with The Three Body Problem. It’s the best sci-fi series I’ve ever read and honestly it’s not even close. They’re making a tv show of it (two actually, and an animated one) and I have zero clue how they’re going to visually represent some of the stuff that goes down

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Oh lord my parents are on the cusp of retirement. They've always been very centrist though my ex-tory voting mum has definitely moved left over time. Still, they get all their news from the BBC and tabloids so they're pretty ripe brain worms material, and my (ex-cop) uncle and his wife are both insane UKIP-heads the two of them insist on palling about with. Hopefully not, at least they have me and my brother yelling at them.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
ugh, this is grim
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1598725581000024066?cxt=HHwWhICxzcGc6K8sAAAA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if this is because they're antibiotic resistant? Apparently the rise of resistant S. aureus kills 50k Americans a year. We're better with handing out antibiotics here but some resistants will pop up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I wonder if this is because they're antibiotic resistant? Apparently the rise of resistant S. aureus kills 50k Americans a year. We're better with handing out antibiotics here but some resistants will pop up.

It could also be that with cold, flu and Covid all doing the rounds at the moment, it's hard for parents to know when it's something else and they need to go to A&E.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I guess without being able to tell immediately you will just assume it's a normal cold or whatever. Wonder if we ... okay I googled it and they're like 7 quid a test. Geez.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*pulling out the monkey paw shaped defib*

Scotgoons, what does this "women what wheesht" phrase mean. I know it's a ScoTERF phrase but I didn't read enough of The Broons But Horrible to understand the meaning.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
wheesht means shut up

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Maybe it's just because we only really see vox pops on UK wide media, and whenever the cameras come north it's just some old granny saying "I'm glad Thatchers dead and furthermore...!".

We have a whole poster who is famous for that itt :p

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Scotgoons, what does this "women what wheesht" phrase mean. I know it's a ScoTERF phrase but I didn't read enough of The Broons But Horrible to understand the meaning.

It means they won't be quiet about the Trans people. Middle class headcases being middle class headcases.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
it's just '('gender critical')women won't be quiet/silenced by the Woke Mob!'

not Scottish, but the word's stuck lifelong in my head from growing up in a time/area when schools did the Lambton Worm every year for the school play

Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,
An' aa'll tell ye aall an aaful story,
An' Aa'll tel ye 'boot the worm

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

wheesht means shut up

I know "Mon" means "man" but I don't think "Ocht" means anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah so the term means "be silenced" effectively?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Boris is probably the third most significant prime minister of my lifetime.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

Ah so the term means "be silenced" effectively?

It’s equivalent to “shoosh” “shush” or “hush”, but there’s a trope of saying “weesht, woman!” to a hysterical or nagging woman, so that’s likely the reason for that particular choice of language.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda funny that I remembered it as "women what wheesht" rather than "women won't wheesht" because of the equally vacuous "women who mensturate"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

An' aa'll tell ye aall an aaful story,
An' Aa'll tel ye 'boot the worm

Iain M. Banks version of Dune was going so well, it seems.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

It's also that if they admit they are wrong, they would have to adjust a huge amount of things and many people just can't handle that. Finding out you are ideologically wrong and have genuinely caused harm by your beliefs is staggering and its much easier to take any other path.

Look at the "where are you from" stuff from the palace recently where a huge furore occured and many personal friends of the horrid woman were saying stuff like "i ask people where they are from all the time and I'm not a racist!!"

she is a right oval office, op

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tesseraction posted:

I think its more that there are a lot of kids with less previous exposure to strep because they were living in lockdown when they would normally be picking up less serious versions in playschool or nursery, so their immune system isn't coping. Strep A normally kills a couple of kids a year but it's hitting harder this year despite there not being any evidence of mutation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

wheesht yer puss (pronounced more like pus than pussy) is my favourite piece of east-coast slang, I have incorporated it into my regular vocabulary, stolen from a Fife friend. It means shut your face/mouth but I've no idea why puss is a term for either of those

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think its more that there are a lot of kids with less previous exposure to strep because they were living in lockdown when they would normally be picking up less serious versions in playschool or nursery, so their immune system isn't coping. Strep A normally kills a couple of kids a year but it's hitting harder this year despite there not being any evidence of mutation.

Yeah, that makes the most sense given the distribution. loving horrible to think how much we rely on constantly getting mildly sick to not get majorly sick.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Don't forget that most kids have also caught 'asymptomatic' covid at least once due to the loving Tories letting it spread through the schools. While many kids showed little to no symptoms at the time, nobody knows if there is any long term damage to the immune system, and that could be a potential reason for the spike in severity of the strep symptoms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

It means shut your face/mouth but I've no idea why puss is a term for either of those
Failed Imagineer will probably have better input than I, but I think it's from Gaeilge for mouth or lip, via bus, not anything to do with the Latin for rotten or corrupt flesh (pus) or the Old Germanic-Anglish for the sound a cat makes (puss/poes/pos/I'm not sure any of them actually heard a real cat).

Tesseraction posted:

loving horrible to think how much we rely on constantly getting mildly sick to not get majorly sick.
The hygiene hypothesis has some small friends it'd like you to meet. :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think there's pretty good evidence of T-cell dysregulation after COVID infection, we just don't know how consequential or long-term it will be

Guavanaut posted:

Failed Imagineer will probably have better input than I, but I think it's from Gaeilge for mouth or lip,
Pretty much - béal is mouth but pus is like a pout

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2022