Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Smoked a brisket, 16 hours over hickory at 225 and then a 6 hour rest. Only salt, pepper, and garlic, no wrap til the rest at the end. Took some for myself and giving the rest to my partners family before we head back from thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Beautiful

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Smoked a ham. Great leftovers, better than turkey for sure.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Smoked a ham. Great leftovers, better than turkey for sure.

Counterpoint:

(Homemade turkey noodle soup with stock made from the leftover carcasses)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just you wait, going to post some ham bone and bean soup and then you'll be sorry!

Just kidding, looks great. I love making my own stock, always turns out so good.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Just you wait, going to post some ham bone and bean soup and then you'll be sorry!

Just kidding, looks great. I love making my own stock, always turns out so good.

Touché haha. This is actually only my second time ever making stock. I bought a stockpot so I will be doing more though! It's so good.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to smoke a pot roast, the seasoning turned into a paste last time I did it so I'm going to take advice

I’m curious as to what the rub was if it turned to paste.

You can’t go wrong with treating it like a brisket and just salt + pepper, maybe some Lawry’s.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I'm the family gravy maker. I buy several turkey wings, roast them and then instant pot them for a couple of hours with aromatics.

After filtering out the soggy solids, the stock comes out solid when chilled. Brown a little bit on the bottom of the pot for some extra flavor and thicken with rendered turkey fat roux.

Thick, silky, rich and super tasty. The hard part is getting the turkey wings on the run up to the holiday. Had to hit four stores before finding them this year.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Think I decided I’m doing little BBQ kits for the family for Christmas this year with some sides and accoutrements to go along with it. What are your favorite things to smoke and vacuum seal/freeze? I’m thinking pulled pork, sliced brisket point and chopped flat (or should I be doing that the other way around) and maybe some ribs?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

T-Square posted:

Think I decided I’m doing little BBQ kits for the family for Christmas this year with some sides and accoutrements to go along with it. What are your favorite things to smoke and vacuum seal/freeze? I’m thinking pulled pork, sliced brisket point and chopped flat (or should I be doing that the other way around) and maybe some ribs?

I'd skip the ribs personally, and maybe add some smoked and chopped chicken.

Pulled pork and brisket all freeze and re-heat wonderfully tho, so you're on the right track!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

I'm the family gravy maker. I buy several turkey wings, roast them and then instant pot them for a couple of hours with aromatics.

After filtering out the soggy solids, the stock comes out solid when chilled. Brown a little bit on the bottom of the pot for some extra flavor and thicken with rendered turkey fat roux.

Thick, silky, rich and super tasty. The hard part is getting the turkey wings on the run up to the holiday. Had to hit four stores before finding them this year.

I didn’t get my turkey until 2 days before thanksgiving this year because I ordered fresh, so I couldn’t make stock ahead of time with the spine and wing tips. Instead I made some rich chicken stock a few days before, then on thanksgiving I simmered the bones from spatchcocking all day in the chicken stock, and used rendered fat to make the roux. I think it was the best my gravy has ever turned out. I find that all the turkey flavor you need comes from the fat in the roux and not necessarily the stock used.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

qutius posted:

I'd skip the ribs personally, and maybe add some smoked and chopped chicken.

Pulled pork and brisket all freeze and re-heat wonderfully tho, so you're on the right track!

Okay yeah I wasn’t super confident on the ribs, but I’ll grab a chicken instead then!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lawnie posted:

I didn’t get my turkey until 2 days before thanksgiving this year because I ordered fresh, so I couldn’t make stock ahead of time with the spine and wing tips. Instead I made some rich chicken stock a few days before, then on thanksgiving I simmered the bones from spatchcocking all day in the chicken stock, and used rendered fat to make the roux. I think it was the best my gravy has ever turned out. I find that all the turkey flavor you need comes from the fat in the roux and not necessarily the stock used.

I used five pounds of chicken wings to make stock ahead of time and then roasted the neck and spine from the turkey and made a little more stock from that.

Made roux with the pan drippings, was top tier.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is there a current consensus on best electric smoker?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flowers for QAnon posted:

There is only one electric smoker and its name is Masterbuilt.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Doom Rooster posted:

Agreed. Ive enjoyed mine, but i do recommend getting a smoke tube to add to it. I still put chips in the tray, but the added smoke tube allows me to set it and forget it on longer smokes like brisket or pork butt. Also skip the glass front. Its pretty useless.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like mine even though the internal temperature gage is busted and thank you for reminding me I have to tell them I tried all their remedy steps.
It's Tesla esque how much I still love the char.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't mistakenly buy the smoke hollow by masterbuilt. It's not great.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Agreed. Ive enjoyed mine, but i do recommend getting a smoke tube to add to it. I still put chips in the tray, but the added smoke tube allows me to set it and forget it on longer smokes like brisket or pork butt. Also skip the glass front. Its pretty useless.

Can confirm, glass front is useless. First couple smokes and it’ll already be opaque with soot. You won’t be able to see poo poo and even when you can, it’ll be tough to impossible to tell the condition of the meat.

Only other problem with electric smokers is that sometimes it feels like it’s a cheat code, because it’s basically a low-temp oven with a water/drip pan and a dedicated element to produce wood smoke. You won’t get a smoke ring, but you can control temp fairly easily without much experience.

That said…I’ve had some great smokes out of mine so far, though to cut down on my already-limited time, I water bathed the meats first and finished them in the MES. They still take on as much smoke as they should, but I have trouble getting firm bark.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The window was good for determining the temperature sensor was bad :v:

Also: You can clean it!
Also Also: Skip it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The controller on my MES stopped working after about a year. I never used the wood chip tray, only smoke tube. It worked just fine for what it was. I think I got it on sale for like $80 or something.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I bought a Bradley several years ago and got good mileage out of it. Worked great for things like bacon, smoked salmon, or even cold smoking stuff. Users press sawdust pucks instead of wood or pellets, and it smoulders the wood so you won't get a smoke ring.

One of my friends bought one and he makes briskets and pulled pork in his pretty often and generally looked the results he gets.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

So something like this should serve me well? Price isn’t a very limiting factor. Are propane units fine? I don’t currently have an external gas line.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/two-door-30-inch-propane-smoker

Edit: maybe this is the better choice?

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/30-inch-digital-electric-smoker

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 2, 2022

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Doom Rooster posted:

Agree. I replaced my old MES 30" with a Traeger and regret it. The smoke flavor from wood chips is a lot better than pellet smoke imo. Also don't have to worry about pellets jamming an auger. Now I'm eyeing a Masterbuilt 40" electric or digital charcoal smoker, and probably gonna dump the Traeger off in someone else's yard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I went from a MES30 to a Masterbuilt Gravity 980 and I love it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah We'll see how I like going pellet over my MES.. My MES was having issues making smoke though, the last pork shoulder I made had little to no flavor. I haven't done anyting in my pellet bseides some chicken breasts but I feel like I"m goign to be making some pouches or using a smoker tube in the pellet grill/smoker to get more smoke flavor.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So something like this should serve me well? Price isn’t a very limiting factor. Are propane units fine? I don’t currently have an external gas line.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/two-door-30-inch-propane-smoker

Edit: maybe this is the better choice?

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/30-inch-digital-electric-smoker

So a big part of smoking is "learning" your smoker - how long it takes to cook something, at what temp, and how high or low the rack is, etc. I got my dad the propane one there since his patio doesn't have electrical outlets. It gets quite hot especially if your racks are lower and closer to the heat.

By contrast, I have a portable electric and I have to put it in the sun on a hot day if I want to get it over 300. So, longer smokes but more tender meats - assuming they haven't dried out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The window was good for determining the temperature sensor was bad :v:

Also: You can clean it!
Also Also: Skip it.

You can clean it, but what’s the point if it’ll just get fouled up again during the next cook

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

life is killing me posted:

You can clean it, but what’s the point if it’ll just get fouled up again during the next cook

I can't trust the gage so I have an oven thermometer on the rack.
I actually only clean a small part of the window.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I can't trust the gage so I have an oven thermometer on the rack.
I actually only clean a small part of the window.

Ah yeah, I too use an oven thermometer. Mine can be pretty weird and fluctuating so I don’t trust the gauge either.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It came out pretty good this time just using a normal rub. I think my issue last time was using something more for slow cookers and turned into a paste then it interacted with the drippings.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Please note that inkbird wireless thermometers are $50 on Amazon currently. They work real nice without a winder, hell you can be at the mall.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

HootTheOwl posted:

It came out pretty good this time just using a normal rub. I think my issue last time was using something more for slow cookers and turned into a paste then it interacted with the drippings.

I think a pasty rub can happen if you use too much rub. The meat shrinks as it cooks so if you have a shitload of rub on it to start, it’s just going to get that much thicker when it shrinks.

At least that’s the theory I’m making up as I go along,

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just can't take any of your posts seriously with that avatar.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I think a pasty rub can happen if you use too much rub. The meat shrinks as it cooks so if you have a shitload of rub on it to start, it’s just going to get that much thicker when it shrinks.

At least that’s the theory I’m making up as I go along,

My theory is that it was meant to be used in liquid, and would thicken when in contact with liquid but without a full crock pot that liquid was just the drippings so it became a paste layer where the roast sweat into the rub

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I just can't take any of your posts seriously with that avatar.

You are wise.

Buy me a new one for Christmas.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
A buddy just talked a handful of us in to starting an amateur competitive smoking team. So I guess that's a thing I do know. I suppose I should start paying attention to what I do and put some effort in to it. Smoking some pulled pork this week to celebrate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If that even a thing or is it just a way to tell your wife you need 3 more briskets for reasons

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Anne Whateley posted:

If that even a thing or is it just a way to tell your wife you need 3 more briskets for reasons

3 of the 4 of us are unmarried which may play a part in our overall decision making processes. And we're all bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Atticus_1354 posted:

3 of the 4 of us are unmarried which may play a part in our overall decision making processes. And we're all bad with money.

Yeah but you'll be eating well