Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No one was ever going to get a solid majority of support because the "United" conservative party is, in fact, not incredibly united. It's an unhappy marriage of the typical greedy weirdos, and also the horse-paste eating, horn-honking sister-fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I just assumed Kenney got bored of poltics and decided to take some seven figure consultant job, the natural evolution of a politicians career

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

DaysBefore posted:

I just assumed Kenney got bored of poltics and decided to take some seven figure consultant job, the natural evolution of a politicians career

He likely thought he would have an easy 4-8 years as premier of Alberta and launch into the leadership conversation for the CPC. After the clusterfuck of the past 3 years, about the only thing he could do is become a consultant.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Whiskey_Dick posted:

This is the thing I really don't get. Kenney only had support of 51 percent of the party, and announced that this was "clearly" not enough support to be leader. Smith got 3 percent more and that's apparently enough?

Y/n is naturally gonna have a higher percent than multiple choice. Iirc the ranked choice also ballots basically stop counting after 50%.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Y/n is naturally gonna have a higher percent than multiple choice. Iirc the ranked choice also ballots basically stop counting after 50%.

That's a really good point. I didn't think about it this way. Thanks.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

MakaVillian posted:

He likely thought he would have an easy 4-8 years as premier of Alberta and launch into the leadership conversation for the CPC. After the clusterfuck of the past 3 years, about the only thing he could do is become a consultant.

Kenney is too much of an rear end in a top hat to ever be PM

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lain Iwakura posted:

Kenney is too much of an rear end in a top hat to ever be PM

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
https://twitter.com/HaruunYEG/status/1598468411079946240

Apparently we're ok to straight-up call other politicians Nazis now.

I'm so (much more than usual) proud to be from Alberta lately

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What a loving goober, as if he and every other UCP MLA hasn't gone crying to mommy when they don't get their way

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Birudojin posted:

https://twitter.com/HaruunYEG/status/1598468411079946240

Apparently we're ok to straight-up call other politicians Nazis now.

I'm so (much more than usual) proud to be from Alberta lately

TBF Shane Getson is the stupidest motherfucker in a legislative assembly though.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

apatheticman posted:

TBF Shane Getson is the stupidest motherfucker in a legislative assembly though.

Yeah this parody Twitter account sums up a lot of his recent silliness:

https://twitter.com/notshanegetson?lang=en

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The UCP is so funny because they have such a massive, massive advantage in this province and they seem so hell-bent on doing the absolute dumbest poo poo and put their future success at a great deal of risk to do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

The UCP is so funny because they have such a massive, massive advantage in this province and they seem so hell-bent on doing the absolute dumbest poo poo and put their future success at a great deal of risk to do it.

Have you considered that the absolute dumbest poo poo may be exactly what the people voting for them want them to do?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Im almost afraid to ask but just how stupid/crazy are the current crop of UCP politicians if they are driving away typical conservative voters? :stare:

I only see the stuff that gets posted here since I live in Ontario and our governing party is more disorganized cowardice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah which municipality went to war with Atco over mask mandates? I think it is fair to say the rurals in Alberta are a special breed of insane

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

Im almost afraid to ask but just how stupid/crazy are the current crop of UCP politicians if they are driving away typical conservative voters? :stare:

I only see the stuff that gets posted here since I live in Ontario and our governing party is more disorganized cowardice.

It all melds together honestly, instead of having a Randy Hillier we have like 100 people like 25% as lovely.

It adds up.

But basically they're pretending a very vocal minority is the silent majority and just making GBS threads the bed on their behalf.

Then one of them (usually Danielle Smith) will just poo poo out a completely random controversy.
https://twitter.com/JTweedleRD/status/1598422464463527936?s=20&t=llr3cp43yCslUBw4duMaRQ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That is the worst possible response to that question.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

That is the worst possible response to that question.

See, in response to

Have you considered that the absolute dumbest poo poo may be exactly what the people voting for them want them to do?

that sort of absolutely dumbshit response sums up the problem: they're doing such stupid poo poo, that it's pissing off the sorts of voters who could look at a schmuck like Harper and say "well, at least he'll be Good For The Economy." And evidently they're in between a rock and a hard place, because it seems like folks like O'Toole and Kenney can't get the needed support from the increasingly vocal wingnuts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Don't worry, in a few years Poilievre will get his time to shine, and then we'll really see what these idiots can do.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In nobody wants to work anymore news, new hires are ‘ghosting’ small businesses already under pressure from labour shortages. Skipping through some unchallenged assertions from CFIB, BIA, etc., we get to the first mention of a possible cause for quiet not-even-starting:

quote:

More than one-third of small businesses have hired people who never show up or stop coming into work shortly after starting the job, a new CFIB survey finds.

Maria Galipo, treasurer of Little Italy B.I.A. and CEO of Sicilian Ice Cream Company Limited, has noticed restaurants and manufacturing businesses are struggling the most — likely from the intensive work hours and physical labour.

Oh word?

quote:

There’s also been a seismic shift in how prospective workers communicate with employers. Galipo believes the pandemic is partly to blame.

“Because of COVID-19 people have forgotten the protocol of how to navigate starting a new job,” she said. “And I know business owners who are asking, is it worth it? Is it worth it to keep the business going? They face so many challenges now.”

:qqsay:

quote:

The CFIB is appealing to the federal government not to make any reforms to the Employment Insurance (EI) system until small businesses are able to recover.

In April, the federal government announced it was looking into reforming EI to cover gig workers and self-employed people. But the federation is concerned that will raise the monthly EI contributions of businesses, financially burdening small businesses further.

“EI is supposed to serve as a temporary relief measure for people facing an unexpected job loss or are in between jobs. Now is not the time to make permanent changes to the EI system that would increase the cost of doing business or disincentivize people from working. Small businesses still need time to get back on their feet,” Corinne Pohlmann, senior vice-president of National Affairs at CFIB, said in a statement.

Our lovely wages and benefits can't compete with EI! Save us, Trudeau!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

And I know business owners who are asking, is it worth it? Is it worth it to keep the business going? They face so many challenges now.

No, it's definitely not worth it, you should close the gently caress down and leave the market for people who aren't utter shitheels.

If you're paying less than loving EI for demanding physical labour, I promise you the problem you have with attracting and retaining labour isn't EI rates.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

No, it's definitely not worth it, you should close the gently caress down and leave the market for people who aren't utter shitheels.

If you're paying less than loving EI for demanding physical labour, I promise you the problem you have with attracting and retaining labour isn't EI rates.

Yeah, but the problem isn't always paying less than EI...it's just not paying enough more than EI to make a difference. If given the choice between not doing manual labour or doing manual labour and making $50 bucks more a day, I would take the EI and save my back. That said, a lot of construction companies start you out entry level and move you up from there very rapidly if you are competent - it's sad that those opportunities are being lost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, that's a market problem, specifically, you're not paying the market rate for the labour you want. The market rate being whatever the people you need to do your labour are asking to do it.

What opportunities are being lost? Where? IDK where you are, but there's no shortage of available jobs in construction here.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yeah, that's a market problem, specifically, you're not paying the market rate for the labour you want. The market rate being whatever the people you need to do your labour are asking to do it.

What opportunities are being lost? Where? IDK where you are, but there's no shortage of available jobs in construction here.

Market pricing only works for products silly not labour.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

They’re not concerned small businesses will have their EI premiums raised, Uber Eats and Skip the Dishes will be paying the premiums. They’re concerned more workers will get EI. It’s class war.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think the most grating thing I see lately is some entrepreneurs and landlords expressing publicly that basically they should not need to be beholden to any of the market forces which dictate the lives of everyone else unless it’s personally beneficial to them.

You can’t keep your restaurant open cause people won’t work for min wage and you feel you can’t pay higher? Okay, then it’s not really a functional business anymore and needs to close.

You bought an investment property in a wild low rate environment/property bubble and you were already on the razors edge financially before any sort of financial pressure? Well you probably need to sell at a loss.

The woman quoted in the article owns an ice cream company. I don’t think it’s really of critical national importance that this stays open. And since they can’t seem to find enough workers anyway it’s not like there would be this massive job loss impact… aside from her own personal one of course.

I have a lot of acquaintances who work in steel manufacturing, very hard and lovely work. Turns out they have no trouble getting lots of workers because they are well compensated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

my morning jackass posted:

I think the most grating thing I see lately is some entrepreneurs and landlords expressing publicly that basically they should not need to be beholden to any of the market forces which dictate the lives of everyone else unless it’s personally beneficial to them.

You can’t keep your restaurant open cause people won’t work for min wage and you feel you can’t pay higher? Okay, then it’s not really a functional business anymore and needs to close.

You bought an investment property in a wild low rate environment/property bubble and you were already on the razors edge financially before any sort of financial pressure? Well you probably need to sell at a loss.

The woman quoted in the article owns an ice cream company. I don’t think it’s really of critical national importance that this stays open. And since they can’t seem to find enough workers anyway it’s not like there would be this massive job loss impact… aside from her own personal one of course.

I have a lot of acquaintances who work in steel manufacturing, very hard and lovely work. Turns out they have no trouble getting lots of workers because they are well compensated.

Well put. I think it's absurd that everyone thinks they are owed a return on their investments and ventures just by virtue of existing. Some businesses aren't viable. Some investments don't create a return. That's life, it's not the government conspiring to gently caress you over.

In the aviation industry we're also running up against a crunch of sorts, with it being fairly hard for small operators to find qualified people -- these are typically the operators that would run small planes in and out of remote communities, fly medevac flights, that sort of thing. In that case, where the service exists in the public interest, it should be either subsidized or explicitly run by the government, because it's unreasonable to say "hey, this vital service must turn a profit." But the average small business just ain't that important.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
money is only as good as what it buys you, and the difference between the bare minimum cost to live and the cost to meaningfully improve a worker's life is only getting wider, so the most cost-effective way to improve a lifestyle for most is to just work less.

eventually somebody will figure out that's the problem and find a way to improve things. right?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Re: landlords, I blame low rates for both pushing people away from traditional low risk investments and pushing people into property investing as an alternative. Being a landlord used to be understood as a high risk venture. Now it's one of the two defaults (the other being equities) and for awhile it was the one that really paid out.

It's wild reading old personal finance books where people were advised to buy a house that was only like 2 to 3x their income and put the rest into bonds or low risk mutual funds.

Edit:

Rockstar Massacre posted:

money is only as good as what it buys you, and the difference between the bare minimum cost to live and the cost to meaningfully improve a worker's life is only getting wider, so the most cost-effective way to improve a lifestyle for most is to just work less.

Very true. I'm to the point in my career where if I take a management position my pay rate goes up 10%, hours worked will easily go up 20%, and my stress level will go up 50%. That 10% isn't going to let me afford a much better standard of living where I live; I still won't be able to afford a house. I'm already underpaid as it is and the IT market is a bloodbath right now so I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 2, 2022

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

My info is mostly coming from my connections in the western provinces. I work for a company that helps construction companies when they are in trouble, so I see a pretty good cross section. It's not the entry level jobs themselves that aren't plentiful (they absolutely are), it's the opportunities to advance in the industry that people aren't getting if they don't take the plunge with the entry level jobs. That sucks for everybody in the small/small-medium industry because they end up in a positive feed back loop: they don't have enough work/money to raise salaries until they have more/better trained staff, but they can't hire entry level staff at the salaries they have.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sounds like an opportunity for the government to give grants to help fund the hiring of entry-level workers, rather than expecting people to work for a lovely wage.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
Yeah, I'm for that. Nobody will ever do it, sadly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whiskey_Dick posted:

My info is mostly coming from my connections in the western provinces. I work for a company that helps construction companies when they are in trouble, so I see a pretty good cross section. It's not the entry level jobs themselves that aren't plentiful (they absolutely are), it's the opportunities to advance in the industry that people aren't getting if they don't take the plunge with the entry level jobs. That sucks for everybody in the small/small-medium industry because they end up in a positive feed back loop: they don't have enough work/money to raise salaries until they have more/better trained staff, but they can't hire entry level staff at the salaries they have.

A number of my clients are in real estate development or construction project management, I definitely don't have the same exposure to it that you do, but I know development hasn't been slowing here, yet.

I can appreciate the difficulty of not being able to afford the experience you need with the money you have, but that's a general risk of any business and I don't know that trades or general labour are significantly outside the norm on that front.

There are people who will work, and there are people who have the knowledge you need, and if you can't afford to hire them you need to raise your rates or re-scope your business offerings. It's not really the workers' obligation to take some poo poo pay in the hopes your business works out, we call those startups, and even then they generally offer equity in lieu of pay.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2022

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
I think the other option is the small companies just keep the people who want to stay on, and pay them overtime. This is what I see the most.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That works too, as long as you don't burn people out.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

my morning jackass posted:

Okay, then it’s not really a functional business anymore and needs to close.

All those year of predatory practices against their workers have come back to bite them in the rear end when applied to them. It breaks my heart. Please pass me an extra spoon so I can finish this tub of Neapolitan ice cream while I cry over it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
on a societal level the obvious answer is to curb the power of real estate, residential/commercial/farming/ landlords, the robellus cartel, and the private energy sector's ability to dictate infrastructure development and demand profit from basic necessities.

by seizing their assets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apparently a disregard for public health measures and low vaccine rates due to widespread idiocy, is not good.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-flu-season-worst-in-decades-1.6672766

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Sounds like an opportunity for the government to give grants to help fund the hiring of entry-level workers, rather than expecting people to work for a lovely wage.
That's basically what happened with my EI when I got myself established in a new industry. Got laid off, and used the opportunity to take part time work in a field I was more passionate about since EI would cover the difference in pay as long as I was working part time. After several months of not loving things up I got full time.

But now we're experiencing a major shortage of staff because surprise surprise nobody wants to do physical labour for $16/h or $17/h in 2022 Toronto. While boasting about big profits and vastly increased revenue compared to last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Sashimi posted:

physical labour for $16/h or $17/h in 2022 Toronto

Ok so there is "poo poo pay" and then there is actual poo poo pay. That's less than $40k to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Not to mention the gas prices to get yourself to site. gently caress that.