Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I have not seen them but i'm going to say its okay because its a stylised depiction and not a photorealistic one.

It's like the distinction between a plastic human skeleton and a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, there's a long and storied history of animated characters having different actors. Clone Wars can't afford to pay Samuel L Jackson a million dollars anytime Mace Windu appears for five minutes. (Although CW and Rebels do get a surprising amount of voice talents in)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does the general audience know Tarkin by name? I'm not defending CG Cushing by any means, just wondering if maybe they thought people wouldn't make the connection unless it looked 95% like him?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kesper North posted:

I distinctly remember him asking Andor what name to give them
Went back to check, my brain is definitely deteriorating. You're right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Keef Gurgo

Keith Grogu? Coincidence!?!?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Keef Girgo is an S tier Star Wars name btw

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Free username suggestion: Chief Keef Gurgo

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StashAugustine posted:

Keef Girgo is an S tier Star Wars name btw

It's perfect, especially because

a) Cassian thought "I need to come up with a perfectly unremarkable name to use as an alias" and landed on "Keef Girgo".
b) It worked like a charm, that is a completely unremarkable name in the Star Wars universe!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

theflyingexecutive posted:

Free username suggestion: Chief Keef Gurgo

I was struggling to make a joke about the time Chief Keef's hologram concert was canceled but I wasn't sure if that was too deep a cut.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Keef Girgo isn’t too far from Greef Karga.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I did go back to watch Rogue One. Cassian is a better character now that we can compare where he is in Rogue One to where he started, but it is still a frenetic mess of a film that races from one action scene to the next and none of the characters get any time to really breathe or develop once their main role in the story is established. It feels like it's speed running entire seasons of development in fifteen minute segments.

The stuff on Jedha is pretty dire. It's a huge clash between the star wars need to show "stuff" and the more functional narrative necessity to introduce new characters, establish certain personality traits. Then they blow everything up in five minutes flat. Jyn has zero personality besides a motivation to find her dad and has only acted like a jerk otherwise, so now we need her to save a child from the streets so we empathize with her at least a bit. Anyways that scenes done and out of the way, time for Donnie Yen now, atsts coming our way explosions who are these partisans anyways?

It's just so rushed and chaotic. It makes me really appreciate how Ferrix gets several episodes of buildup so we can see how the town operates, learn some familiar faces, and see how they all come together to fight for a good cause in the end. Jedha city is "here's the city, they're taking crystals, stop looking at stuff I need to meet my contact hurry now the city is about to blow." It's a blur.

The ending if the film has its own problems with respawning Rebels and X-Wings and some choppy editing from where they did clear reshoots, but at least it's more coherent.

So Cassian is better off by virtue of Andor the show existing but I don't know if anything apart from a complete overhaul could save the film from being a series of occasionally exciting sequences.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 2, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was just thinking how cool it would be if we got a full Andor TV series style arc building up Jedha and the guardians of the Whils, Chirrut and Baze's deal etc. Hell, it's not outside the realm of possibility they could do that in Season 2, but probably not since they don't meet till the events of the film. Alas.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For me the CGI casting of older actors just reeks of creative rot inflicting these shows, and right now is just for buzz and notoriety.

We don't need new stories about characters we already know, or to visually explain things that were aluded to in dialog. Why not just give us new characters and stories? It's a huge universe, and constantly revisiting the well just makes it feel small.

Used in situations like the Indiana Jones trailer, where they're establishing flashbacks for a film predominantly starring the original actor, I can see. But animating the corpse of Peter Cushing? Couldn't they just have made a new imperial general? Krennick (sp?) Was already one of the standouts of that film.

But Solo taught Disney that recasting the actors made people all 'not my Han' - ignoring the fact that the reason it really turned people off was that it was a story that didn't need to be told, and came just at the time Disney were prophesising twelve star wars films a year, which exhausted everyone but the most hardcore fans.

(Yes I'm aware Andor is a prequel to a film that totally bucks this trend, but it's very deliberately telling it's own story, about a character who wasn't broadly as defined, around how rebellions are formed. )

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was just thinking how cool it would be if we got a full Andor TV series style arc building up Jedha and the guardians of the Whils, Chirrut and Baze's deal etc. Hell, it's not outside the realm of possibility they could do that in Season 2, but probably not since they don't meet till the events of the film. Alas.

Well they're definitely going forward with how Saw gets all hosed up and turned into junkyard Vader. He's gonna trust Luthen and get burned on an operation. So I'd expect a bit of Jedha to appear at some point after Saw cuts ties entitely with the Alliance and boom, there's your Baze and Chirrut cameo.

My worry is that they'll make Andor into a show that can only lead towards Rogue One. It's doing a good job as a standalone story with occasional call forwards to that film, it would suck if they decided everything that Cassian did for the Rebellion was dedicated solely to getting him to where he is in the movie.

Rogue One is also very Dune-esque in retrospect. One of the Rebel councilors is played by Sharon Duncan Brewster who played Kynes in the Villeneuve movie, Jedha has got Arrakis all over it just as much as Tatooine, and Jyn's fake name is Halleck.

And between Rogue One and Andor it seems like a big reunion of actors who appeared in HBO's Chernobyl series.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 2, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arc Hammer posted:

Well they're definitely going forward with how Saw gets all hosed up and turned into junkyard Vader. He's gonna trust Luthen and get burned on an operation. So I'd expect a bit of Jedha to appear at some point after Saw cuts ties entitely with the Alliance and boom, there's your Baze and Chirrut cameo.

My worry is that they'll make Andor into a show that can only lead towards Rogue One. It's doing a good job as a standalone story with occasional call forwards to that film, it would suck if they decided everything that Cassian did for the Rebellion was dedicated solely to getting him to where he is in the movie.

Yeah, I don't want it to be a capital P-prequel "moving all the places to where they have to be" style thing, that would definitely sap a lot of its energy. If they can give us a little more Jedha naturally, cool. If not, I'd rather follow the story someplace new.

I guess I was more lamenting all the cool half-baked ideas from R1 and what they could have been if they'd been cultivated a little better.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jared Harris popping up as a high up senator or rebel faction leader would be lovely

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a sexual elk posted:

Jared Harris popping up as a high up senator or rebel faction leader would be lovely

I'm happy he's been having a renaissance period but I'm still salty that he got too busy that he couldn't come back to The Expanse when he killed it as Anderson Dawes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm happy he's been having a renaissance period but I'm still salty that he got too busy that he couldn't come back to The Expanse when he killed it as Anderson Dawes.

I will never forgive Foundation for this

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished Andor and it was a very good show about millennials trying to get out of their mother's house but finding out that leaving home is difficult doing to mass unemployment.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arc Hammer posted:

So I did go back to watch Rogue One. Cassian is a better character now that we can compare where he is in Rogue One to where he started, but it is still a frenetic mess of a film that races from one action scene to the next and none of the characters get any time to really breathe or develop once their main role in the story is established. It feels like it's speed running entire seasons of development in fifteen minute segments.

The stuff on Jedha is pretty dire. It's a huge clash between the star wars need to show "stuff" and the more functional narrative necessity to introduce new characters, establish certain personality traits. Then they blow everything up in five minutes flat. Jyn has zero personality besides a motivation to find her dad and has only acted like a jerk otherwise, so now we need her to save a child from the streets so we empathize with her at least a bit. Anyways that scenes done and out of the way, time for Donnie Yen now, atsts coming our way explosions who are these partisans anyways?

It's just so rushed and chaotic. It makes me really appreciate how Ferrix gets several episodes of buildup so we can see how the town operates, learn some familiar faces, and see how they all come together to fight for a good cause in the end. Jedha city is "here's the city, they're taking crystals, stop looking at stuff I need to meet my contact hurry now the city is about to blow." It's a blur.

The ending if the film has its own problems with respawning Rebels and X-Wings and some choppy editing from where they did clear reshoots, but at least it's more coherent.

So Cassian is better off by virtue of Andor the show existing but I don't know if anything apart from a complete overhaul could save the film from being a series of occasionally exciting sequences.

I'm kind of sympathetic to the Jedha sequence because a) it's when the movie finally settles down somewhere for more than like 3 minutes and b) thanks to American politics, "desert city stripped of natural resources by imperial power" is not actually something you need to spend a lot of time setting up so it feels something like a real place already.

You could probably spin a whole show out of the situation on Jedha leading up to Rogue One, but I don't know if Andor's that show. The idea that the final arc leads directly into Rogue One is really the only place I can see the show stumbling. I don't know if there's too much more to that story, given that they only find out there's a Death Star at the very beginning of the movie.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I also really like the idea of lay devotees to the Force that don't have super powers but still recognize it as sort of a deity

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

I also really like the idea of lay devotees to the Force that don't have super powers but still recognize it as sort of a deity

I don't mind it but it still feels odd how star wars flips between Jedi being a myth and knowledge being commonplace. It depends on where you are in the galaxy, sure but it confuses the issue of how thorough the Empire was in scrubbing away the Jedi order.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the population of the galaxy? How many Jedi were there? How many people in the galaxy would have ever seen a Jedi Knight? Likely the non-Force believing population thought the Jedi were a bunch of religious nuts with too much power who believed some dumb ideas.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's the population of the galaxy? How many Jedi were there? How many people in the galaxy would have ever seen a Jedi Knight? Likely the non-Force believing population thought the Jedi were a bunch of religious nuts with too much power who believed some dumb ideas.

I always likened it to believing in the miracles Jesus was supposed to have performed. Nobody is still around who saw it but we're pretty sure it's real, sort of thing

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Elentor posted:

I just finished Andor and it was a very good show about millennials trying to get out of their mother's house but finding out that leaving home is difficult doing to mass unemployment.

When you put it like that your life doesn't sound very interesting though!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean coruscant alone is some trillions. IIRC pablo has historically put it in the 1-3 trillion range but if you actually do napkin math for large earth city like population density on a good amount of a planet like scale it really should approach like 50 trillion. Throw in say 20-100 lower end of coruscant ish planets and call everything else a rounding error to put it in the neighborhood of 100-200 trillion. In my professional opinion

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And we don't know how many Jedi there are, but there's few enough that one giant temple on Coruscant is pretty much enough for them. Assume there's always Jedi coming and going and call it maybe a million? The vast majority of the galaxy probably went their whole lives without ever even meeting someone who'd seen a Jedi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the old EU 365 trillion people were killed during the Vong War. It's a big galaxy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I knew that number was in the trillions but I forgot they chalked it up that high. Of course legends imagined a larger and more populous galactic civilization after the OT than the sequels did. One day we'll get the untold tale of the enormous galactic mao esque famine mon mothma presided over

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also like there's a lot of weird poo poo in the galaxy, who's to say that the occasional weirdo with telekinesis and ESP is right when he starts babbling about some great collective consciousness. This is basically Han's objection to Obi-Wan in ANH

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Aldhani arc also showcased how truly slow the Empire was at pulling apart local religions and cultures that weren't actually a existential or metaphysical threat to the ruling cult. The pilgrimage to the Eye is described as being slowly whittled down until, after the Empire finally gets a reason to kick them out for good they do so.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Rochallor posted:

I'm kind of sympathetic to the Jedha sequence because a) it's when the movie finally settles down somewhere for more than like 3 minutes and b) thanks to American politics, "desert city stripped of natural resources by imperial power" is not actually something you need to spend a lot of time setting up so it feels something like a real place already.

Ain't nothing wrong with Jedha. It think it's a situation that's pretty well handled. And like you said, it's really the first point where the movie starts to feel a little less truncated. On some level, it might have been a wiser decision to set up all the main action there. Just have everyone there already after the Jyn prelude. Then they could have developed the setting even further, set up the Whills poo poo, had Jyn paired up with Andor. Then they could have went and met Motha and the Alliance leadership. It would have been a lot more economical. But they wanted to show off a bunch of planets and asteroids and poo poo.,

I loved Rogue One, but uh, yeah it could have been executed better.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 3, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
really, Rogue One's format would have worked as a mini-series leading into a movie that is just the Jedha plot onward. But that wasn't done at the time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

StashAugustine posted:

Also like there's a lot of weird poo poo in the galaxy, who's to say that the occasional weirdo with telekinesis and ESP is right when he starts babbling about some great collective consciousness. This is basically Han's objection to Obi-Wan in ANH

Yeah, this. The Force is a Jedi concept. The energy field of the Force goes by many different names and understandings in different cultures and planets. So your local shaman might be preaching about something that ultimately is some variation of what the Force is, you just don’t know it by that or think of it in the same way.

The Sorcerers of Tund, who are getting more canon material recently, call it The Unity.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teek posted:

Yeah, this. The Force is a Jedi concept. The energy field of the Force goes by many different names and understandings in different cultures and planets. So your local shaman might be preaching about something that ultimately is some variation of what the Force is, you just don’t know it by that or think of it in the same way.

The Sorcerers of Tund, who are getting more canon material recently, call it The Unity.

It's called 'Magina' by the people on the planet featured in The Village Bride animated short from Visions. Ahh, I wish we'd get a series featuring F, she's so cool :allears:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shirunei posted:

When you put it like that your life doesn't sound very interesting though!

Hahahaha wouldn't that be a dream

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Village Bride, The Duel and The Ninth Jedi are the only things from Visions that really have the legs for potential future stories. I wouldn't mind more of the Village Bride stuff as a Kino's Journey but in Star Wars affair.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
There are also the Night Sisters. What the hell are they doing? If that's the Force, that's a wild version of using it. It's straight-up sorcery.

Then you get the nonaligned force users like that sentient plant/rock thing on Rebels.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Love Rat posted:

There are also the Night Sisters. What the hell are they doing? If that's the Force, that's a wild version of using it. It's straight-up sorcery.

I finally went back and finished Fallen Order to scratch that Star Wars itch after Andor ended, and yeah, the Nightsisters seem... really out of place. At least compared to all the live action stuff. Maybe it gets more crazy in the animated series?

Like, they're literally necromancers, raising people from the dead. We have to accept that the Force exists in the Star Wars universe and is capable of things like telekinesis, suggestion, and even appearing as a ghost and talking to people; but something about being able to reanimate corpses just seems to stretch believability IMO, even for the Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

404notfound posted:

I finally went back and finished Fallen Order to scratch that Star Wars itch after Andor ended, and yeah, the Nightsisters seem... really out of place. At least compared to all the live action stuff. Maybe it gets more crazy in the animated series?

Like, they're literally necromancers, raising people from the dead. We have to accept that the Force exists in the Star Wars universe and is capable of things like telekinesis, suggestion, and even appearing as a ghost and talking to people; but something about being able to reanimate corpses just seems to stretch believability IMO, even for the Force

Palpatine implanted his soul into a cloned body untold light years from Endor. Luke projected himself across the galaxy to confront Kylo. The Force is literally magick, and the Night Sisters are nothing compared to some of the stuff from the Old Republic era. Looking at you Darth Nihilus.