Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that Brough looks vaguely like a Diablo and the HD Bronx had a threesome with the front suspension from a current-gen goldwing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
...in a carbon fibre factory.

I just really like the tank, seat, tail section combination I think, very nicely integrated with each other. The fly screen has a bit of flat cap look though, makes sense for a northern english brand, but apparently the revived brand is manufactured in France now.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm trying to make sense of that front suspension. Would that be considered a telelever?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Telelever is a bmw marketing bullshit term. The bike in the picture appears to have a double wishbone system very similar to the current goldwing but it's hard to tell what's happening on the top half.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Guy still does cool stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYI-gVrxXOM

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This guy lived apparently. Because we are the OG poo poo hole country, he was taken to a hospital out of his insurance network, and he is now an enormous amount of debt! This is totally a reasonable thing to happen.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/im-the-motorcyclist-from-pchkanan-dume-accident

If it’s any consolation the car driver died.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Holy poo poo, that's awful. Glad to hear he survived. The awfulness of the American medical system aside, automotive insurance is going to cover 100% of his bills, and then some. Just not right away. I don't mean to discourage anyone from donating to GoFundMe, because this man still needs money to live, no doubt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres the actual guy telling a little bit of his story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSRqu7LMXU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awful. Glad to hear he survived. The awfulness of the American medical system aside, automotive insurance is going to cover 100% of his bills, and then some. Just not right away. I don't mean to discourage anyone from donating to GoFundMe, because this man still needs money to live, no doubt

Are you sure? I'm certainly not an insurance expert, but the driver 1.) had stolen the car, 2.) probably didn't have insurance, 3.) is dead, and probably did not leave behind an estate. Even if the car owner's insurance will cover the medical costs (I believe they will try to pay for the car only, if even that), it's only up to whatever that person was paying for, right? And could the car owner be found liable for the difference? I assume not. I think the truck driver is going to get caught in the middle of this by virtue of being alive. US insurance limits are hilariously low given the cost of medical care, and actually necessary medical care, eg physical/occupation/mental therapy needed, in home care, etc., may be denied (it may be wrongly denied, but unless you have the time and energy to fight it, what are you going to do?). We literally have insurance against the at-fault person's insurance, or lackthereof. California bodily injury legal minimum is $15k/person, which might cover the cost of a broken leg. 11 days in the hospital, presumably a few in the ICU, along with several surgeries, is easily in the hundreds of thousands. The NBC article in the GoFundMe says he is facing a 7-figure medical bill. I believe it. My neighbor had cancer, and his insurance portal tallied the cost of care at 700k.

Anyway I hope for the best for that guy, but baring some PR goodwill from the insurance companies, I think he's pretty hosed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Insurance is not your friend, because that's just how it is in the current system, and they will deny whatever they can. But then lawyers go to work, and things change drastically. Missing limbs will get covered, medical bills will get covered, and lawyers will get paid, because of course they will. The system sucks, but in this particular case, the guy is covered by three separate insurance policies that are on the hook for nearly everything. He may not get his motorcycle covered, which is peanuts in this case. Because if he's missing a limb, that's going to be a seven digit payout no matter what. The only poo poo part is it will take him at least a year to collect.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Nitrox posted:

Insurance is not your friend, because that's just how it is in the current system, and they will deny whatever they can. But then lawyers go to work, and things change drastically. Missing limbs will get covered, medical bills will get covered, and lawyers will get paid, because of course they will. The system sucks, but in this particular case, the guy is covered by three separate insurance policies that are on the hook for nearly everything. He may not get his motorcycle covered, which is peanuts in this case. Because if he's missing a limb, that's going to be a seven digit payout no matter what. The only poo poo part is it will take him at least a year to collect.

I still chipped in 20 dollars because the american healthcare system is a nightmare

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ADINSX posted:

I still chipped in 20 dollars because the american healthcare system is a nightmare

After my accident I was taken by ambulance to the nearest trauma center, which was about 10 minutes away. The next closest one is about 40 minutes away, so it's not exactly like I had a choice. Everything at that hospital was apparently in network.. except the anesthesiologist. Dealing with insurance was a fuckshow, as auto wanted health insurance to pay, and health wanted auto insurance to pay, but neither wanted to pay for anything out of network. Even when the only thing out of network was one doctor. And it's not like I had a loving choice.

Eventually the lawyer straightened it out. It's bullshit, but step 1 in a motorcycle accident is to call a lawyer. Step 2 is to call an ambulance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Christ that's nightmarish

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yup. I needed a helicopter. They billed it like a taxi. $16,000 base fare plus $2000/mile. Nevermind the bill for what they did to me after they took me off the heli. I didn’t have insurance or a job at the time.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My accident "only" involved a trip to the ER, x-rays, and physical therapy and I still had to lawyer up and wait for drat near a year to get bills sorted. The chick that rear ended me used the same insurance company that I did, one that's known for excellent customer service. The only good things from that entire experience were that I was not seriously injured and insurance paid me 2x what I paid for the bike. The entire system is profit--seeking middleman horseshit

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RadioPassive posted:

Yup. I needed a helicopter. They billed it like a taxi. $16,000 base fare plus $2000/mile. Nevermind the bill for what they did to me after they took me off the heli. I didn’t have insurance or a job at the time.

I think I'm beginning to understand the anti-helmet guys

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

RadioPassive posted:

What a loving scam

Over here (in basically the European home of capitalism) the heli is free unless they think you're a total dick, and even then it's still free if you chuck them a few bucks a year for membership (I am a member)

https://www.rega.ch/en/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ. And I just know all the chucklefucks who voted in our current premier (who is trying her god-damndest to groom the province to accept for-profit health care when she's not trying to groom the province to accept secession) would think that's perfectly acceptable on the grounds of "if you can't accept the price, don't do the thing"

May can't come soon enough

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This was a wreck that ended the last session of the day, last Saturday. High side at turn 12 of COTA. I think I was just turning onto the back straight (turn 11) when the red flags came out.

quote:

Facebook post
11/26/22
😖😬 Took a good spill at COTA this past Saturday ended up fracturing my L2, L3, and L4 but I’m doing good moving around a little more on my own every day next track day season starts around March/April I’m hoping to be good to get back on the track by then. 😊

Rehosted the video here:
https://vimeo.com/777486146

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I don't really understand this, though. Let's say, for example, I am a deadbeat with no insurance, no assets, and I crash into you, die, and destory my car. In the process, you incur 750,000 in bodily injury and another 35,000 in property damage. You carry uninsured motorist insurance of 100,000 bodily injury and 3,500 property. You're short 681,500 in coverage. Where does this money come from?

MetaJew posted:

This was a wreck that ended the last session of the day, last Saturday. High side at turn 12 of COTA. I think I was just turning onto the back straight (turn 11) when the red flags came out.

Rehosted the video here:
https://vimeo.com/777486146

I always love the head turn as people ride past. I do it too. Such a strong natural reaction, like you're going to learn something, "oh that's why, I won't do that then"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't know if it varies province to province, but injuries that are as a result of a vehicle accident in Canada are paid for by your vehicle insurance, not the health care system. Break a leg falling off a ladder, go to hospital and get it fixed, costs you nothing.
Break a leg in a car accident, go to hospital and get it fixed, costs you nothing, costs the insurance company however much the hospital charges to fix a broken leg. That number is probably less than the US, but it's not free, and that's partly why car insurance is so costly compared to the US up here.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

I always love the head turn as people ride past. I do it too. Such a strong natural reaction, like you're going to learn something, "oh that's why, I won't do that then"

My takeaways from his video are:
1) Leave TCS on
2) Wear a Tech Air 5/10.

I wear a Tech Air 5, and while it's a pain in the rear end to get on and off under your leathers, I hope that it would protect from some of the injuries this guy sustained. I've had several people at the track tell me that they only wear them on the street, and not on the track.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I don't really understand this, though. Let's say, for example, I am a deadbeat with no insurance, no assets, and I crash into you, die, and destory my car. In the process, you incur 750,000 in bodily injury and another 35,000 in property damage. You carry uninsured motorist insurance of 100,000 bodily injury and 3,500 property. You're short 681,500 in coverage. Where does this money come from?

In my case it was the state of California's Medi-Cal system.

The only insurance of any kind was the at-fault party with $15,000 in coverage.

My lawyer kept $5000. The State of California paid the medical bills and took $4996. I got $5004 and a crushed KLR that cost $1020 to tow home. The case settled about 18 months after the incident.

Pics thread I guess so:

I was wrong about the heli prices, it's actually much more expensive for the base fare but only $390/mile after that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

My takeaways from his video are:
1) Leave TCS on
2) Wear a Tech Air 5/10.

I wear a Tech Air 5, and while it's a pain in the rear end to get on and off under your leathers, I hope that it would protect from some of the injuries this guy sustained. I've had several people at the track tell me that they only wear them on the street, and not on the track.

I googled it, but seems like he broke is back? Dang. Yes I think an airbag would be extremely useful in any high side. I only wear mine on the track, although when I bought it, I intended to where it on the street as well. Part of me wants to buy a Dainese D-Air jacket where it's all integrated and no loving around :o: It looks like they're moving over to a modular system as well, though.

I wish he didn't have that stupid music playing so you could hear the throttle. Seems like it lets go right as he goes over a dark patch on the track, fluid?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RadioPassive posted:

In my case it was the state of California's Medi-Cal system.

The only insurance of any kind was the at-fault party with $15,000 in coverage.

My lawyer kept $5000. The State of California paid the medical bills and took $4996. I got $5004 and a crushed KLR that cost $1020 to tow home. The case settled about 18 months after the incident.

Pics thread I guess so:

I was wrong about the heli prices, it's actually much more expensive for the base fare but only $390/mile after that.

Right, but that's the state welfare system stepping in to help out you, an unemployed uninsured person. Let's say you make $150k/year and "own" (aka making mortgage payments on) (your half of) a $900k condo: do you think the same thing is going to happen? I don't. It's like city hospital in SF. If you're uninsured, it's free! If you have insurance, they charge the everliving gently caress out of you, and anything your insurance doesn't pay, they go after you, because my god you must be rich having insurance.

I carry 500k/1m for bodily injury, 500k uninsured, 100k property, because that's the most they'll sell me under a "normal" policy. If I could just carry the legal minimums, and lawyer up when I need more, surely the industry would lobby to either change the minimums or reform the system entirely. Insurance as far as I understand it is essentially just contract law: I pay you $X/month, and in return, you agree to defend me in court and cover my liabilities up to $Y amount of money. Anything beyond that is outside the terms of the agreement, and any liability you have beyond that is your own responsibility. I definitely am not an insurance expert though, so if this is now how It Really Works, I would love for someone to explain!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

I googled it, but seems like he broke is back? Dang. Yes I think an airbag would be extremely useful in any high side. I only wear mine on the track, although when I bought it, I intended to where it on the street as well. Part of me wants to buy a Dainese D-Air jacket where it's all integrated and no loving around :o: It looks like they're moving over to a modular system as well, though.

I wish he didn't have that stupid music playing so you could hear the throttle. Seems like it lets go right as he goes over a dark patch on the track, fluid?

Yeah the music is stupid.

I don't think there was any fluid on the track, or at least I didn't encounter any. There is a bump pretty much right at the apexes of Turns 1, 10, maybe 11, 12, and 20. My guess is he was leaned over, added too much throttle and maybe the bump upset his suspension.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

Right, but that's the state welfare system stepping in to help out you, an unemployed uninsured person. Let's say you make $150k/year and "own" (aka making mortgage payments on) (your half of) a $900k condo: do you think the same thing is going to happen? I don't. It's like city hospital in SF. If you're uninsured, it's free! If you have insurance, they charge the everliving gently caress out of you, and anything your insurance doesn't pay, they go after you, because my god you must be rich having insurance.

I carry 500k/1m for bodily injury, 500k uninsured, 100k property, because that's the most they'll sell me under a "normal" policy. If I could just carry the legal minimums, and lawyer up when I need more, surely the industry would lobby to either change the minimums or reform the system entirely. Insurance as far as I understand it is essentially just contract law: I pay you $X/month, and in return, you agree to defend me in court and cover my liabilities up to $Y amount of money. Anything beyond that is outside the terms of the agreement, and any liability you have beyond that is your own responsibility. I definitely am not an insurance expert though, so if this is now how It Really Works, I would love for someone to explain!

Even $500k seems amazingly low. I can't find how it breaks down for different types of claim but both my car and bike insurance have 100 million CHF limits.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

knox_harrington posted:

Even $500k seems amazingly low. I can't find how it breaks down for different types of claim but both my car and bike insurance have 100 million CHF limits.

lol I have $1M on my 0.6 kg RC quadcopter

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xakura posted:

lol I have $1M on my 0.6 kg RC quadcopter

How much of that is liability? Does uav insurance increase with operating ceiling?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How much of that is liability?

All of that is liability and is set by an EU regulation on insurance for "air carriers and aircraft operators"
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32004R0785

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Does uav insurance increase with operating ceiling?

Do you mean the cost to insure (yes) or liability limits(no*)?
*As you see in the link under article 7, liability minimums are set by aircraft weight. <500 kg is the lowest category and would cover basically every privately operated UAV.

Operating ceiling is set by licensing and training requirements and is 120m for basically all the hobbyist categories.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Yeah the music is stupid.

I don't think there was any fluid on the track, or at least I didn't encounter any. There is a bump pretty much right at the apexes of Turns 1, 10, maybe 11, 12, and 20. My guess is he was leaned over, added too much throttle and maybe the bump upset his suspension.

lol my gif expired :negative: anyway yeah if it were fluid almost surely his front would have went instead and also everyone else. probably just too much throttle without removing lean. it's an RSV4? I assume its suspension can deal with some bumps, unless he has it stupidly firm, which is possible!

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah it is low. Never mind the bizarro chain reaction where you cause 15m in damage. Given the health insurance situation in the US, if you injure an uninsured person and are at-fault, I think you're kind of screwed. Maybe you could argue it is illegal for them to not have insurance and you're only liable for what their insurance wouldn't cover? :shrug: I hope to never find out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being an rsv4 it has sophisticated rider aids that he no doubt turned off

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Paying for electronic rider aids and then turning them off is his American freedom you see.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My friend just finished restoring a 1953 NSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCfn45-jnLA

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That thing is cool. I've never heard a two stroke sound so un-two-strokey before

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm pretty sure it's a 4 stroke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The valve train is extremely well hidden and compact if that’s the case

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello fine sir may I interest you in some fine pushrods and/or side valves? They will cut your cylinder head machining down to just one step!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t see either of those though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How would you see them they are buried inside the barrel