Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing part of the problem was the increasing reliance on the dual-screen system by the time AA6 rolled around with the seance vision sections.

Both DD and SoJ have phone ports, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, applying the 3DS games to a single screen is a solved problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't hear you. :colbert:

(More seriously I'm curious how they handled the parts where you used one screen for visuals and the other for senses in SoJ... or have I just separated those in my mind and they were always on one screen?)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I feel that's more intuitive. Hopefully it is when the second trilogy comes out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, applying the 3DS games to a single screen is a solved problem.

Then where are my Strange Journey Redux, Devil Survivor 1 and 2, and Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse PC Ports, Atlus?!

Anyay, I finished the second case in JfA. I can't believe a character named Morgan Fey was evil. I guess this next case is a doozy based on my fellow new player who was "warned" about it.

Also it seems to me like the Judge got...dumber and more cowardly since the first game. He wasn't this bad then. Although my GF points out "if somebody was gonna hit me with a whip, I'd just let them do whatever they want, too."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 3, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Those are different games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I suppose the only flaw with these gams is they make me really dumb when I can't figure out things.

On the last case right now, during the trial (the first one, I am sure there must be others) and Mia is like "there's a clear contradiction in Oldbag's testimony of seeing the Nickel Samurai leave the room and he wore the costume because he had to go the show thing right after." Bht all I can think of is a murderous struggle followed by a stabbing must mess up whatever you are wearing..it would be the opposite of convenient to wear the same clothes when going in front of a bunch of people. I also thought Lotta was there in the hallway during all this.

But I guess not. I really do hate looking things up.

I guess it must be really obvious too because every Press is totally worthless and just her rambling, to the extent you can point out she lied about seeing him in his racing jacket just last testimony and she simply talks over you.

EDIT:

Oh... Well, I never would have figured that out. Fingerprints on the knife but the costume has gloves.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 4, 2022

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I beat The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles a couple weeks ago and am still thinking about it. Good game. I only really have two criticisms:

* The difference in quality between some of the one off gimmick witnesses and the major characters is huge. Every character that has multiple appearances is gold but I hated the street peddlers and the Red Headed League (and those are the major witnesses for the penultimate case!)
* If you had any expectations of these games having any meaningful commentary on Imperialism, Colonialism, Racism, Sexism, or other social issues, you will be sorely disappointed. Any discussion of those subjects basically completely stops after the first game and the resolution to the main plot is 100% Ace Attorney melodrama. I had zero expectations so I'm fine, but I imagine there must be some disappointed after 7 years of people hyping up these games as super deep compared to the main series.

I don't have any sources other than "I heard this on twitter" but apparently the first game didn't do very well financially in Japan and Resolve is a truncated version of a hypothetical DGS 2 and 3. I think it's for the better though; I have zero faith that they would have used a whole extra game to improve the pacing and they wouldn't have been able to help themselves from still cramming everything into the last 3 cases. I think the only interesting possibility for a DGS3 would have been a game where Barok wasn't the prosecutor and his "redemption" came earlier so that you could have an entire game with Prosecutor Kazuma, like how Edgeworth spends basically all of T&T on the straight and narrow, but that would take a lot of rewrites.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 5, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alright, finally finished the (first) trial in 2-4. A couple guesses but they worked so I'll take it.

I'm still annoyed that Engrade only agreed to take me as his lawyer after Phoenix muttered about "De Killer" but we can't talk to him about this. Furthermore, I'm worried there will be some cheap "this is how he is guilty, despite flatly and openly declaring he never killed anybody, including Juan."

But those are all quibbles. This is absolutely the best case so far in this game. I was thinking this at the end of the last case but it's remarkable how silly and absurd everything in this fictional world is, and yet I still take it so seriously. I love the characters and wanna help them. You get really emotionally invested.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really wish like the guy LP'ing the first time I mentioned earlier that I had people to talk over things with instead of just being stuck or going to look up the answers.
Hints, clues, suggestions, not just spoilers.

I'm at the climax of Justice for All, the final moment, and I've failed utterly. Mia says only two people matter, Matt and Killer. Matt is Matt, talking to him is useless. Mia even says the person who needs the evidence is neither the Defense, Prosecution, or Judge. That further pushes me towards Killer.

He values trust and loyalty to his clients but Matt was filming him and planning to probably blackmail him. Makes sense to end the contract based on this. He even violently tried to get the video tape back which makes it seem by far the most significant piece of evidence Franziska has. Naturally, I feel like the evidence I have to provide to win this is one of those three times.

A gun which probably shot Franziska - Useless.
A video tape which I tried because it fit my theory but didn't work.
And the bellboy uniform with a special button missing. I guess this might be important but I have no idea how and I tried presenting it anyway and nothing.

Maybe I'm just totally off base with Killer but Mia said the only way to win this and save Maya is to get him to cut Matt loose or to have Matt give up. He said quite plainly earlier he cares about no one and nothing but himself. Why would he plead Guilty to murder?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 5, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm a bit confused because presenting the video to de Killer is the correct answer. Your reasoning is exactly spot on. Are you sure it didn't work?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I really wish like the guy LP'ing the first time I mentioned earlier that I had people to talk over things with instead of just being stuck or going to look up the answers.
Hints, clues, suggestions, not just spoilers.

UHS might be exactly what you need, for this and future games:
https://www.uhs-hints.com/hints/search.php?search=phoenix+wright

Then again, I'm with Regy Rusty in this particular point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm a bit confused because presenting the video to de Killer is the correct answer. Your reasoning is exactly spot on. Are you sure it didn't work?

Oh... I just stopped after Edgeworth and them are like "...." because it's always the same and I figured it must be a default fail screen. God knows I've seen a ton of them.

Well, I'm glad I was right. Thank you.

Petiso posted:

UHS might be exactly what you need, for this and future games:
https://www.uhs-hints.com/hints/search.php?search=phoenix+wright

Then again, I'm with Regy Rusty in this particular point.

This will be great to have for all the other games, though.

Thank you both.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh... I just stopped after Edgeworth and them are like "...." because it's always the same and I figured it must be a default fail screen. God knows I've seen a ton of them.

spoiler for Ace Attorney 3 (so don't read this)

they faked out people who would present evidence and immediately reload when the music didn't stop even worse in the third game's climax lmao

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The games like to fake you out with dialogue that sounds like you failed when especially tough questions are involved. I think the idea is to discourage trying everything and seeing if the lines change

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of wish the game would disrupt the "press everything" rhythm a bit more which is probably why i have a soft spot for the circus case. it actually has some of my favorite courtroom segments in the original trilogy its just that the investigation sucksssss

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In any event, that's Justice for All down. Apparently one of the weaker games but I had fun. I heard somebody elsewhere say there's only one good case and I assume meant the last one. It was spectacular, just like the first game's final case. Er, well, the fourth case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoSvpcI5Ur4

This is absolutely Top 5 or at least Top 10 songs in the series for me so far. Ultimate bro theme for my bro Matt. Of course the clues were always there to his guilt. My GF read something about at least one of the games having an alternate ending, I kept wondering if it was this one but I guess not. The only flaw is the game keeps giving you fake choices and then not letting you pick them. I tried to pick "take Not Guilty verdict" multiple times just to have Phoenix go nope.

But you know, guilty or not, Edgeworth himself said it, everyone is entitled to a defense attorney who does their best to get them off. As farcical as pretty much every case is, both sides conspiring to get somebody proven guilty is pretty...dubious.

Now please excuse me while I consult myself about starting up the third game immediately.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This one does have an "alternate ending" but that just means a special bad ending different than the usual failing the case. If you let the presenting of the wrong evidence at the end play out fully you can see it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Absolutely get right on the third game, it's all upward from there. Glad you enjoyed this one! The final case is really a banger in ways that you wouldn't expect from all the prior ones.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Podima posted:

Absolutely get right on the third game, it's all upward from there. Glad you enjoyed this one! The final case is really a banger in ways that you wouldn't expect from all the prior ones.

It's like I mentioned earlier, these games are so kooky and weird but still manage to be genuinely emotional and interesting at times. Somebody once described Persona 4 to me as the happiest, most upbeat murder mystery you'll ever see, and that definitely fits here, too. I'm still waiting to see if I get a case that isn't a murder trial. In any event, even stuff like the circus case got pretty dark by the end. The big thing about Case 4 here and in the last game is the stakes were huge right from the get go. Things started intense and only got more intense as the case progressed. The characters involved al being great helped too, of course.

But yeah, Ill probably start the third game after I eat.

Regy Rusty posted:

This one does have an "alternate ending" but that just means a special bad ending different than the usual failing the case. If you let the presenting of the wrong evidence at the end play out fully you can see it.

Kinda figured. These are the linear brand of visual novel, if thee are visual novels. I've never been too sure on that label.

Also, totally random, but stumbling upon this meme on YT makes me want to meet air guitar guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5iV5Q82cE

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

It's like I mentioned earlier, these games are so kooky and weird but still manage to be genuinely emotional and interesting at times.
It's a marvel, really, how they manage to be so bizarre and silly yet still hit the highs and lows they do. You've got some incredible stuff to look forward to in Trials and Tribulations, so have fun.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Kinda figured. These are the linear brand of visual novel, if thee are visual novels. I've never been too sure on that label.

Yeah I'd categorize them as visual novels but their story is (almost always, outside of the miracle never happening) linear. They're not kinetic novels (just click to advance) because of the mechanical interactions and the chance to hit a game over, though.

quote:

Also, totally random, but stumbling upon this meme on YT makes me want to meet air guitar guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5iV5Q82cE

:allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRBDxHSiQ8

This is definitely the best regular cross examination music yet. So suspenseful.

Okay I've definitely found the stupidest connection of evidence yet.

Prove the Blackmail letter belongs to Luke. It mentions a red diamond. He's wearing a red diamond and even says it was just given to him. But no, I have to point to the newspaper which shows a completely different diamond....??!?!

Oh yeah and how about he fact he's the one who specifically tells you about the blackmail letter at Ron's place? Why does nobody ever bring up this massively pivotal fact?

I really just stopped caring about the case at this point. The game is gonna be dumb, I'm not going to try. And yes I did fail the final "one press and if you get it wrong you're done." Don't care. I hope the cases get better from here.

Godot is a pretty different type of Prosecutor than you usually deal with. A lot less arrogant and certainly less underhanded. Maybe that's part of why people like him so much.

I should mention I do know a couple pretty big spoilers from being told about them years ago.

1. Godot is the guy who was poisoned in Episode 1. This one is maybe obvious given coffe and the mask.
2. Dahlia has a sister or something? This one I don't remember anything about except this fact.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah that is hands down the single worst cross-examination in the series. You are expected to correct a false assumption that no one has made nor has any reason to make and I genuinely can’t parse the thought process there.

also godot rules no notes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love that case but yes that particular part is real bad. All it needed was any dialogue whatsoever that indicated the characters were assuming the diamond in question was the stolen one but no.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Godot is good, but his theme song is what really pushes him to great. It rules

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah that is hands down the single worst cross-examination in the series. You are expected to correct a false assumption that no one has made nor has any reason to make and I genuinely can’t parse the thought process there.

also godot rules no notes

It's up there with AAI going "The president has a dot on his head in the photo here!" "The gun has a laser sight" "No, idiot, it's that he doesn't have a dot on his head in the newspaper"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's up there with AAI going "The president has a dot on his head in the photo here!" "The gun has a laser sight" "No, idiot, it's that he doesn't have a dot on his head in the newspaper"

I don’t know, I think (AAI 1-5) ”see this ketchup stain in a hotdog wrapper? It’s actually blood that conclusively ties the killer to the scene!” was as contrived as it gets

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRBDxHSiQ8

This is definitely the best regular cross examination music yet. So suspenseful.

Okay I've definitely found the stupidest connection of evidence yet.

Prove the Blackmail letter belongs to Luke. It mentions a red diamond. He's wearing a red diamond and even says it was just given to him. But no, I have to point to the newspaper which shows a completely different diamond....??!?!

Oh yeah and how about he fact he's the one who specifically tells you about the blackmail letter at Ron's place? Why does nobody ever bring up this massively pivotal fact?

I really just stopped caring about the case at this point. The game is gonna be dumb, I'm not going to try. And yes I did fail the final "one press and if you get it wrong you're done." Don't care. I hope the cases get better from here.

Godot is a pretty different type of Prosecutor than you usually deal with. A lot less arrogant and certainly less underhanded. Maybe that's part of why people like him so much.

I should mention I do know a couple pretty big spoilers from being told about them years ago.

1. Godot is the guy who was poisoned in Episode 1. This one is maybe obvious given coffe and the mask.
2. Dahlia has a sister or something? This one I don't remember anything about except this fact.

the point is that the blackmail letter couldn't have been intended for Ron, because the diamond he stole wasn't the red diamond that Atmey has. the fact that the diamonds are different are the point

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder, should I replay Ace Investigation after this game? I played it once a long time ago - got pretty far too, I think. My memory isn't the best but I got to the case after you find out the laughing lawyer is evil or something. Dunno if it matters or if I can just start up Apollo Justice after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oklCBiYZzw
This is such a great cover of a song I already adored. You know, I've had this Von Karma avatar for a long, long time now. I got it from the great LP of the first game. I wish I could get a good avatar of my bro Matt to replace it. Also his "second theme" is used for way too much random, minor stuff in this game.

Speaking of which, back to this game.

I certainly hope this isn't a common thing in future. I knew it had to do with hands - I figured it had to do with the fact he drew in the paper or maybe something in the crime photo I missed since you see his hands in there. But this never even crossed my mind and I've never had to eye evidence like that. Such important details are usually included in descriptions or it's a photo you have to point out a part in.

And that's Episode 3 down. Pretty fun, no stupid choices I didn't understand at all. Although at this point I'm convinced the true hero is Detective Gumshoe and I just want him to: 1) find love, and 2) find a living wage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should play both AAI games at some point but the order doesn't really matter. They take place chronologically between T&T and AJ but they came out after AJ and nothing in them is referenced in the later games either.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once you do play them you should make sure not to rest until you've inspected every suspicious-looking nook and cranny.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Matt's theme is kinda weird in that you're obviously gonna associate it with him because it is a bop and it always plays when he's around, but it's meant to be an investigation theme, so it plays when you’re looking at scenes and making dramatic discoveries. I think it even plays for one scene with Adrian in 2-4, but it only becomes noticeably not-Matt when it shows up in T&T.

The same goes for Investigation ~ Opening 2002 which you might think of as Ini Miney's theme because it always plays when she's around. Similarly, there’s a couple themes for wacky characters that you’d end up associating with Lotta Hart and Wendy Oldbag because they use them more than most.

And you got to the final case in AAI, based on your description.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If he got to the final case of AAI, then he should just play AAI2. Maybe watch the epilogue on youtube. I don't recall anything in the final case of AAI that is plot important in AAI2. It's not worth playing all of AAI again just to experience one of the worst cases in the series.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder, should I replay Ace Investigation after this game? I played it once a long time ago - got pretty far too, I think. My memory isn't the best but I got to the case after you find out the laughing lawyer is evil or something. Dunno if it matters or if I can just start up Apollo Justice after this.

One thing to note: AAI's sequel, Ace Attorney Investigations 2, is one of the best games in the entire series but only has a fan translation in English, no official release. It is, however, extremely well made and feels like an official translation. It's very much worth playing whether with a DS emulator or a flashcart or a modded 3DS.

As for your actual question though, I agree with the others that you don't need to play the Investigations games at any particular point but feel free to save them for later if you like.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess we'll see how this game ends. I know there's a timeskip so something big must happen. Maybe I'll wanna instantly jump to see how things play out.

Finished Episode 4. I was wondering what they were gonna do about Miles' perfect record which of course remained intact until he went up against Phoenix. Also Dahlia is like, the most detestable villain in the series so far. No doubt many others committed worse crimes, hurt more people, but a story is al about perception. The narrative has crafted a perception of her as a demon among demons and devil among devils.

Yata
Dec 8, 2022
I started Great Ace Attorney 2 with my friend, we both played the first one last month and we found it very bad so hopefully this one is better.

We only got to the point the witnesses are introduced, but the setup is definitely interesting and the witnesses are literally my two favorite characters from the first game so I am pleased.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I like that the undercover Japanese detective is dying of consumption and it’s not a plot point just a cute character quirk r o give him a fun animation. Very Victorian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That contradiction in 3-3 I think is the single hardest contradiction in the game that I consider "fair game". That's a tough one.