Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Occultist is the strongest for Cold DoT, but be wary, you might get hooked on Profane Bloom.
Elementalist is like Occultist, but you give up the tankiness, utility and Profane Bloom and get absolutely nothing in return.
Trickster is good, especially defensively, but it lacks damage, so its not the greatest league starter. Amazing once you have good gear
Champion is a meme. Maybe do it if you want to pressure Karvs ED Champion on the SSFHC Delve ladder :lmao:
Hiero is a thing and since its way better placed on the passive tree its not as meme as Champion. Doesn't compare with Occultist or Trickster at all, unless you're in an ascendancy race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanks goons. Cold Dot Occultist it is for the starter.

I'm really looking forward to this league. Hopefully the Roguelike aspect is something that stays fun the whole league.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Zmej posted:

it's numbers are worse than molten strike but we don't know the lvl 20 gem stats so v0v
i wouldn't call them worse, they're more or less the same. they both have 110% attack/added attack percents, volcanic fissure though has 0.80 attack speed in exchange for firing one additional projectile and, more importantly, being slam-based.

you can't get overlap with ancestral call, but in exchange you get access to Fist of War support and can get better clear with Seismic

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cold dot is probably going to be my starter too. Rime gaze is cheap and common, and it shares a lot of endgame gear with CoC icelance, which I've been meaning to try for a while.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I forgot the gem is on the webpage

So you can have infinite fissures at once

Sorry if I was the only one wondering

Huh, does that give fullscreen reach to Facebreakers?

edit: well I guess Conc Path already did but maybe this is better?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I want to try traps this league. The contenders sound like explosive trap and poison seismic trap (clear with exang).

Poison seismic seems like the stronger choice? Although it likes uniques and it may be popular this league.

And either way, recommend trap(s) to use while leveling, that won't need a completely different tree at maps? A little respec is fine of course. I read explosive was rough to level with, but then see another saying fire explosive is great to level with.

Don't know if there's any solid updated build guides, but I can always just look at poe.ninja to get an idea at least.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man the caustic arrow vaal skill looks kinda useless. Why a clearing thing rather than a single target assist.

Volcanic fissures is neat but the skill has kinda mediocre damage on it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it’s like molten strike, the projectiles overlap and can all hit

So the fissure hits and the the projectiles can also hit

So base you can get 1 + 4 hits. But the 4 is reduced by 50% damage so like 3 hits of damage effective

Yeah so you need all the balls to hit, which you can probably do with aoe

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 3, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

External Organs posted:

I'm gonna make a stupid eye of malice / scales of justice / the black zenith elementalist and use charged dash with some mana leach and the agnostic/mind over matter to zip around nuking things with giant aoe blazing salvo :nyan:

Do not recommend

Plans unchanged :c00l:

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

If it’s like molten strike, the projectiles overlap and can all hit

So the fissure hits and the the projectiles can also hit

So base you can get 1 + 4 hits. But the 4 is reduced by 50% damage so like 3 hits of damage effective

Yeah so you need all the balls to hit, which you can probably do with aoe

The reveal explicitly calls out that the projectiles can shotgun.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

interrodactyl posted:

Do not play his explosive trap league starter unless you want to ruin your hands. It works for him because it's extremely powerful and great for pushing/bossing. It is also incredibly janky.

I can confirm, I did one of this last event to lvl85 and wanted to die.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Elentor posted:

Destroyed means they leave no corpses. Phantasmal Cleave, for example, removes the enemy's corpses (and death animation lol) meaning that they cannot be used as corpse explosions against you. It also means that they can't be raised as minions or consumed as offerings or give you bonuses for Plaguebringer. Usually not leaving corpses is a net positive though as it prevents enemies from using corpses against you.

it's also like 40% more fps

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Really? I swear I saw a video of someone complaining about how CA's additional projectiles were loving up the spread and thus reducing overlap/damage. Maybe that was a different skill? Hrm. Welp.

That was Scourge Arrow! Additional projectiles were being distributed unevenly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's also like 40% more fps

Yeah the #1 way of increasing your PoE FPS is removing all corpse models.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

McFrugal posted:

That was Scourge Arrow! Additional projectiles were being distributed unevenly.

Aha! My bad.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Well that all seems quite cool, although I do feel like I'm being incredibly jebaited into playing melee. Maybe one of the Vaal projectile skills will be good instead.

Can't believe Trickster wasn't hit, "your action speed is at least 108%" alone deals with so much bullshit.

So about these new super rare reworked unique weapons, can I just reroll the ones I have in standard to have the new stats? Because I might go and hit Sirus in the face with a big stick.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think I'm set on Hexblast totems as my starter.

Damage uptime while dodging and massive freeze seem extremely good for the league mechanic. It does good damage for a totems build, plus it seems like a pretty good mapper and potentially uber viable.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm keeping an eye out for Astral Projector ring on the active search. I wanna do Seizmic totems and that's the Mathil juice everyone forgot about

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I want to play poison BV 3-hex Occultist because Profane Bloom and Plague Bearer are both addictive, but I'm afraid Heretic's Veil and Cospri's Will might be unobtainably expensive the first ~4 days. Did GGG say if they were changing the drop rarity of those buffed armor pieces, or are they only increasing the rarity of the weapons that got heaps more damage?

Backup plan is Storm Burst Totem Hiero, as I've been itching to try that for a long time anyway and it should be easier to hit 100% reduced effect of curses on you than ever (for Soul Mantle + Self Flagellation).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Elentor posted:

Yeah the #1 way of increasing your PoE FPS is removing all corpse models.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is there some mechanic or skill I'm not thinking of that would make that not terrible?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if your totem's projectiles also return specifically to you at the end of their flight.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

There are several CWDT setups that do it, just link it to a corpse exploiting gem. Devouring Totem is also surprisingly decent, and you can run it in an unset ring. The totem won't go unless your life drops, so you'll want a health based regen/leech thing going on.

edit: Oh I think it does go if you're missing mana. It's still a leech effect so it's more effective if you're investing in leech.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 3, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NPR Journalizard posted:

I've been told to stop telling people how to mod the game and I don't want my account banned but yes.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Deki posted:

Is there some mechanic or skill I'm not thinking of that would make that not terrible?

Returning means it can hit again and it works with proj that don't shotgun. If you're still reliably hitting despite it, it adds a lot of damage. EK, frost blades, KB etc

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would simply add a graphics option to not render corpses if people were trying to mod my game to get rid of them

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deki posted:

Spectral Helix if it works with it, Tornado Shot maybe, Ball Lightning

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

I would simply add a graphics option to not render corpses if people were trying to mod my game to get rid of them

I would also add a graphics option to disable bloom, and yet

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Returning means it can hit again and it works with proj that don't shotgun. If you're still reliably hitting despite it, it adds a lot of damage. EK, frost blades, KB etc

Yeah, but aren't there other ways of getting that mechanic without random aiming?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Random Aiming allows you to treat Blight Maps as auto survivors. You'll always fail but it'll be worth the gimmick.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Elentor posted:

I've been told to stop telling people how to mod the game and I don't want my account banned but yes.

Understood.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

RIP the 5 way resetters who now have to do 100% of the work as the carry can just put on that ring, tape down a key, and go afk.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

What would that do with Spark? Nothing besides the random direction?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I wonder how that would interact with Snakepit

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a deviant who really likes self cast curses, I always have one on my middle mouse button. I sometimes even run a mark in addition to that. The cursed ground support is going to be a new staple of mine, since self casting curses are annoying in encounters that spawn monsters over time. This probably means that I have to start dedicating a 4-link to a curse even with shield/dual wield builds. Increased AOE is not negotiable with curses, and increased duration is appealing if curses are more relevant in boss fights.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to self cast curses too, but I tend to use all the buttons. I usually rotate between defensive choices. For example, Immortal Call, Enduring Cry, Berserk, Sigil of Power, Withering Step, Decoy Totem.

Or Enduring Cry to fill in the HP, Steelskin, Berserk, Temporal Rift back to post-EC HP, repeat.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Decoy Totem in general is underused, it's really good on endgame fights. It's really good to prevent Shaper from opening with a Beam on you in The Feared or to tank two hits from the Elder if you open on Shaper instead, it's extremely useful in preventing Uber Searing Exarch from massacring you with dashes and auto-attacks if you're squishy since you can force Uber SE into ability > taunt > taunt > ability and do the entire fight damageless. It's good at locking two lanes for you in Uber Elder/Uber Uber Elder to prevent offscreen beams, or to lock Shaper for a full rotation of Frostbolts and give you time to get overleech/rage/whatever melee mechanic you need without having to move.

It trivializes normal Cortex but moreover it's really good in Uber Cortex since you can significantly reduce the damage input from the slams or adds. You can pretty much manipulate most bosses' AI with it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

What would that do with Spark? Nothing besides the random direction?

it would be wild if it made the sparks path back to you from wherever instead of expiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Looks like something you'd use with Sire of Shards. Or... Lightning Trap? Basically, anything that isn't designed to fire in a specific direction. Tornado shot might kinda work but I wonder how the ground targeting is affected. Does it also target a random distance away from you?

Where did this screenshot come from?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 3, 2022