Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for the music recs, I'll be checking those out with the kiddo this weekend!

So she's in preschool now and it's so weird to go from knowing what she's up to and being with her all day every day (thank god for having a work from home job) to suddenly she's just... in the care of and surrounded by strangers, and due to her extremely limited speech and low social fluency her time there is a near-complete black box, outside of school handouts she brings home. I'm supposed to wait for parent teacher conferences to find out how she's doing? And this is only for 2 hours 4 days a week! 😭

I wish I could just hide in the corner and watch her like Leo's dad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

having a second kid is hosed. its 100x harder. its a nightmare.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
so my youngest kid has a bunch of allergies and yesterday a friend at school gave him some candy that he is allowed to have but it was wrapped in a paper towel so we can't really vouch for any contaminants.

but it broke my heart that he did the right thing and brought it home to show us and we had to tell him he couldn't eat it. kid did everything right and he still got the shaft.

so then I drove to the store immediately and got him the same thing in a sealed package so he doesn't just say "gently caress it, I'm eating it" next time and end up in the hospital.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

finally in the hospital today, hopefully this kid can finally be born today or tomorrow :toot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bitmap posted:

how much harder is having the second kid overall

Sorry for the late reply but I managed to dig up a goon's post that might help to answer this

bitmap posted:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My second is a month old. It's honestly easier this time around since we already dismantled our social lives and we're just generally more chill about the whole thing.

It does help that neither of us is unemployed this time, as opposed to both last time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bitmap posted:

whoa a post I could have made myself

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

BonHair posted:

My second is a month old. It's honestly easier this time around since we already dismantled our social lives and we're just generally more chill about the whole thing.

It does help that neither of us is unemployed this time, as opposed to both last time.

Well at least you're past the hard part.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bitmap posted:

welcome friend

It's great tbh, but yes. My dad told me that 2 kids is more than twice as much work and I didn't understand until...

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

losing my mind. after experiencing weeks of two kids I honestly cant even blame my dad for bailing anymore. sunrise, sunset.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we lost power in the middle of the night and my son woke up screaming because he couldn't see.

I went down to the basement where his room is and boy howdy was he right. absolute pitch black. like you'd think you were blind.

I guess they probably make nightlights with a battery backup?

a good tip for keeping your kid enjoying their basement bedroom: never let their friends have a sleepover and then allow the discussion of ghosts to persist and especially not the discussion of ghosts living in the vents right above their bed :cripes:

BonHair posted:

our second go was much easier because i had already come to terms with falling asleep on the beautiful, quiet, still, peaceful, quiet, still floor in front of the crib on my back with no padding from sheer exhaustion every night

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bitmap posted:

losing my mind. after experiencing weeks of two kids I honestly cant even blame my dad for bailing anymore. sunrise, sunset.

It gets better. What helped me was a bluetooth headphone in one ear so I could listen to live hockey or podcasts while I spent hours upon hours in the kids room comforting them to sleep.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my two have developed some kind of sentry system where only one is ever asleep at a given time. at bedtime, the first goes down easy and the second is an hour long battle. then when the second finally gives up and falls asleep, the first stirs and wakes up

it sucks a lot!

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

bitmap posted:

My wife is already hinting that "maybe we should have the second one sooner" and "it's easier the sooner we have it".

I'm already sweating bullets thinking of the next five years, and that's with one kid.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My son finally started sleeping through the night when he turned three, then my five year old who always slept awesome started waking up with nightmares every night.

Five months later and they're both sleeping well for the first time but my dumb brain is programmed to wake up every night at 2-230

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kecske posted:

my two have developed some kind of sentry system where only one is ever asleep at a given time. at bedtime, the first goes down easy and the second is an hour long battle. then when the second finally gives up and falls asleep, the first stirs and wakes up

it sucks a lot!

did you adopt a family of meerkat?

Wife had her 33 week visit today. Baby A flipped back to breach. Hopefully A can make one more flip so we can avoid having them come out the sunroof. It's all on you A, you gotta clear the road head first! Baby B will just ride the wave out.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kal-L posted:

My wife is already hinting that "maybe we should have the second one sooner" and "it's easier the sooner we have it".

I'm already sweating bullets thinking of the next five years, and that's with one kid.

If you wait longer your first kid is less of a liability, but if you hurry up you go through the newborn phase before getting used to having a somewhat normal life again, so there's a tradeoff

...is what I've heard anyway, we're 20 weeks into pregnancy #2 so I guess I'm gonna find out :ohdear:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I can see the virtue in ripping off the bandaid and just concentrating the painful years. But I also don't know how in the gently caress I would afford two kids in daycare at once.

Instead my strategy is to talk about how great our ONLY child as part of propaganda efforts that I don't think are working on my wife.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Don't get bullied into having a second kid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My attitude toward having two kids is the same as my attitude toward having kids at all: I want to have two kids, but I don't want to go through the process of having them

Once kid #2 is down to two wakeups per night I'll feel much better and less anxious about life in general

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

finally in the hospital today, hopefully this kid can finally be born today or tomorrow :toot:

they are inducing today, hope this girl is born soon. good vibes pls.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Toddler Demon woke up about 530 this morning yelling "need snuggles!!" So I went in there, gave him snuggles, then he slept another 3.5 hours. It was annoying but adorable how he just wanted snuggles.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my six year old’s anxiety sometimes gets into high gear right before bedtime where we’re laying in bed together and she’s asking me how will she be able to survive when she’s an adult and can she still live in our house and how will she get a job, etc. So we spent a lot of time making sure that she is secure in her material needs.

she wants to have her daughter before the Sun explodes so I told her that’s no problem…

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lobster shirt posted:

:hai:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sonatinas posted:

my six year old’s anxiety sometimes gets into high gear right before bedtime where we’re laying in bed together and she’s asking me how will she be able to survive when she’s an adult and can she still live in our house and how will she get a job, etc. So we spent a lot of time making sure that she is secure in her material needs.

she wants to have her daughter before the Sun explodes so I told her that’s no problem…

i was really into reading about world war 2 around that age and at night i would sometimes feel the most extreme fear that a fleet of ww2 bombers would fly over and level my neighborhood lol. why do six year olds get freaked out about such stupid poo poo!!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sonatinas posted:

I hope she never has a conversation where she expresses a desire to have a kid and someone else goes "well time is running out!!"

She'll have a drat near heart attack

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Microplastics posted:

I hope she never has a conversation where she expresses a desire to have a kid and someone else goes "well time is running out!!"

She'll have a drat near heart attack

cosmic timelines are already tough for adults so trying to get it ingrained in a child is difficult.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

feeling those formula buyers
a lot has changed in 16 years and it sounds like finding the right one is like finding the right antidepressant

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i was really into reading about world war 2 around that age and at night i would sometimes feel the most extreme fear that a fleet of ww2 bombers would fly over and level my neighborhood lol. why do six year olds get freaked out about such stupid poo poo!!!!

i was apparently worried that the iraq war would result in our house blowing up when i was 5. no real sense of space or time.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

good vibes to you on this auspicious day

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

bitmap posted:

Ahhhh yeah it is. Finally feel like we are falling into a routine after 1.5 years with the second.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

da baby...... is born. i guess she can watch the world cup with me tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway looking forward to finding out how hard having two kids is gonna be.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

da baby...... is born. i guess she can watch the world cup with me tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway looking forward to finding out how hard having two kids is gonna be.

Congratulations! You will do excellent.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

Hope you packed some cell phone cables and snacks. I had weekend hospital inducement and it is a wild solitary experience. Greet the security guards and figure out when your nurse team is swapping their panama shifts. Have fun~

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

Great jorb!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

An Apple A Gay posted:

feeling those formula buyers
a lot has changed in 16 years and it sounds like finding the right one is like finding the right antidepressant

Oh my scavenger instincts are ON FIRE for formula right now. Brother-in-law is tied down to some cow lactose free Nutrifeed portmanteau word brand and like across 3 geographic areas we can't find poo poo. Shopping conditions are like Bitcoin era 2021 graphics cards, cept if bot shopper you set up doesn't work your baby starves. Dude has to find a steady supply of that formula brand because he doesn't know how to burp a baby.

Gonna try and talk WIC representative into expanding brands for availability purposes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grats I just read

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

lobster shirt posted:

grats and good luck

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

Congrats!! I say the difficulty will largely depend on your kids' personalities. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
grats goon

my kid was about to meltdown into a late day tantrum today, because he was asked to help with dinner cleanup, but he was still in a good mood overall and still not helping. I asked if he wanted to be my big helper and he repeated it back, "be your big helper!" and smiled so big. He almost dropped all the food in the kitchen and kinda gave up at the end but yeah it ruled

tonight we read books and he tried to pick up on tracing the words like I do. I swear he's got 20-30 books memorized already

good kid