Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

it really doesn't, especially compared to other classes' options. but more importantly, i'm trying to get back into darktiding but every time i pick a character to try and load in i'm getting a matchmaking error 4008, is anyone else having the same problem?

i got one but the retry worked

(e) going by some of the teams today & yesterday the game appears to be 75% Veterans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Voidstrike does okay against carapace.

Coming from a veteran main the voidstrike is an amazing staff. It doesn't need to be amazing against carapace because its a combination plasma gun and bolter with even stronger knockdown.

It's slow to charge and few in shots so the damage cant compete with either of them, but it can apply both the line pierce of plasma and the aoe and knockdown of the bolter and keep entire massive groups of enemies stunlocked for the rest of the team to deal with if they are tough enough to not be killed outright. Huge recommend from me over every other staff I tried.

It could stand to be uptuned a bit for some better damage output considering the charge time but genuinely with its other properties it's kinda wild.

I've stunlocked entire hallways of maulers and ogryns with it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will agree that the voidstrike staff is heads and shoulders over every other staff except maybe the chain lightning staff where disabling heavies instantly is more effective, but i think that's more because the trauma and the purgatus staff suck a bunch

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i will agree that the voidstrike staff is heads and shoulders over every other staff except maybe the chain lightning staff where disabling heavies instantly is more effective, but i think that's more because the trauma and the purgatus staff suck a bunch

My problem with lightning is that unlike the line pierce and aoe if the important heavy I want stunned is behind a wave of trash or lighter armor I can't guarantee they'll be hit I feel like. Much like plasma just being able to cut through everything to hit what you want is a big boon.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

brain burst not scaling with difficulty wouldn't matter as much if any of the staves beyond the chain lightning one could do any damage at all to carapace armor but i guess fatshark figured "well if they want to do damage to carapace armor they have brain burst"

edit: also first try
https://i.imgur.com/Z627OQW.mp4

Got mine the similar Zealot one (Buying Time) the exact same way; just lobbed a grenade to the other side of the long bridge defence and beaned a sniper in the face.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 3, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lmfao

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Just had a daemonhost spawn right in the middle of a walkway in habzone dreyko. It was a one lane chokepoint with instant kill pits on one side and a wall on the other with no way around it.

We managed to down it but man, if the intention is to be able to skip em they need some work on spawn locations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Other fun thing about voidstrike is the aoe is so big you can aim at the cover enemies are hiding behind and the splash will get them through it, which even the bolter isn't perfect at.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

This beats rear end

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Brainburst needs to scale for sure but what would be really nice is adding some extra utility to it - something like suppressing/terrifying nearby enemies on brain burst kill or knocking over crushers/ogryns when one brain burst doesn't kill them maybe?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Sharkopath posted:

Coming from a veteran main the voidstrike is an amazing staff. It doesn't need to be amazing against carapace because its a combination plasma gun and bolter with even stronger knockdown.

It's slow to charge and few in shots so the damage cant compete with either of them, but it can apply both the line pierce of plasma and the aoe and knockdown of the bolter and keep entire massive groups of enemies stunlocked for the rest of the team to deal with if they are tough enough to not be killed outright. Huge recommend from me over every other staff I tried.

It could stand to be uptuned a bit for some better damage output considering the charge time but genuinely with its other properties it's kinda wild.

I've stunlocked entire hallways of maulers and ogryns with it.

I love the voidstrike staff, I can see why people like the surge staff but for some reason I couldn't get a "feel" for it - kept blowing myself up with it. Then I got a voidstrike staff with quell on headshot. If you shoot it about headheight into a poxwalker horde you can basically poo poo warp fireballs all day.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 3, 2022

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well, just got home from work and after the hotfix today I can no longer launch the game.

I click play on the launcher, the little splash screen with the EAC logo shows up, the main game window launches and shows the spinny loading icon bottom right and then closes with no error message. Crashify uploader runs in command prompt window and closes, doesn't even show the upload crash dialogue.

All files verified successfully. Very cool.

e: deleting the appdata folder (for the second time) worked

e2: nevermind it just got a little further and still didn't work

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 3, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The bolter is so god drat good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Finally got the plasma gun and I dunno how this is anything but a strictly worse bolter, which I guess still makes it okay because

Chillgamesh posted:

The bolter is so god drat good

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure Kinetic Overload aggroed a daemonhost through the floor here.

https://i.imgur.com/KO5rciw.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 3, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Finally got the plasma gun and I dunno how this is anything but a strictly worse bolter, which I guess still makes it okay because

Instant ready state means its better at popping elites than the bolter, it also has a larger ammo capacity which means as long as you dont mind taking chip damage to cool off you can fire 30-40 shots in volley fire when the bolter will run out at 15, making it slightly stronger at counterfiring shooter squads. It also is more accurate with its follow up shots than the bolter, again making it great at counterfire. It also has so much pierce that it can punch through about 60 feet as far as I can tell, meaning it will kill elites and specials no matter how many other mooks are shielding them, something that synergizes really well with how the highlighting in volley fire works. The Charge damage is absolutely ludicrous and will annihilate bosses and ogryn in volley fire much faster than the bolter can.

I think its better than the bolter straight up but takes more skill to use, has a much smaller total ammo capacity, and the line aoe makes it weaker at horde clearing. They're both good weapons but the niche that plasma carves I think works better with veterans job and toolset.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 3, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

My problem with lightning is that unlike the line pierce and aoe if the important heavy I want stunned is behind a wave of trash or lighter armor I can't guarantee they'll be hit I feel like. Much like plasma just being able to cut through everything to hit what you want is a big boon.

i'm 100% with you, i just mean the only one even in the same time zone is the chain lightning staff

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish I could get a Voidstrike staff again on my Psyker, but I haven't seen one in the store since like level 15. Same with Force Sword, it's all axes and lasguns.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i'm 100% with you, i just mean the only one even in the same time zone is the chain lightning staff

Yeah I imagine and hope that people raise enough noise that they give psyker and its gear some love in a rebalance, it's totally viable and still fun to play but its competing in a niche with a class that can pretty much do what it does with no setup and with way higher damage output.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Instant ready state means its better at popping elites than the bolter, it also has a larger ammo capacity which means as long as you dont mind taking chip damage to cool off you can fire 30-40 shots in volley fire when the bolter will run out at 15, making it slightly stronger at counterfiring shooter squads. It also is more accurate with its follow up shots than the bolter, again making it great at counterfire. It also has so much pierce that it can punch through about 60 feet as far as I can tell, meaning it will kill elites and specials no matter how many other mooks are shielding them, something that synergizes really well with how the highlighting in volley fire works. The Charge damage is absolutely ludicrous and will annihilate bosses and ogryn in volley fire much faster than the bolter can.

I think its better than the bolter straight up but takes more skill to use, has a much smaller total ammo capacity, and the line aoe makes it weaker at horde clearing. They're both good weapons but the niche that plasma carves I think works better with veterans job and toolset.

I'll have to give it a try again once I hit 30 on vet, but it felt pretty rough. My expectation was that it'd delete specials with a reasonable charge, though I found I had to 2-tap em fairly consistently. The overheat mechanic and the self damage and the crazy long rear end reload and the limited ammo all felt like they were setting it up to be this BFG god killer fuckomatic, and I very much did not get that impression. Could just be user error, but it seemed like too many downsides for my tastes

I did enjoy that it turned enemies into soup, though

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got a good combat shotgun

sound:https://i.imgur.com/H30iB1j.mp4

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'll have to give it a try again once I hit 30 on vet, but it felt pretty rough. My expectation was that it'd delete specials with a reasonable charge, though I found I had to 2-tap em fairly consistently. The overheat mechanic and the self damage and the crazy long rear end reload and the limited ammo all felt like they were setting it up to be this BFG god killer fuckomatic, and I very much did not get that impression. Could just be user error, but it seemed like too many downsides for my tastes

I did enjoy that it turned enemies into soup, though

I play 3-4 and mine two taps ogryn at charge, one full charge will kill a mauler, one charge can kill ragers, and single shots with half charge will kill gunners and such. Other specials like flamers you want volley for one shots on because they really do just have huge health pools as the difficulties go up. But mines also got a real good roll on it.

Pretty much every stat you'd want to be able to do what its built to do, better.

Plasmas reload and heat management is just something you get used to, also. You find the quiet time to reload as you move and learn what spacing you need to keep dodging under pressure while making sure the heat or ammo supply is either good enough or can't be left alone. You want One After Another as your 25 talent anyways because Deadshot doesn't apply to the plasma gun, so the extra reload after a kill is really good.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Broken Cog posted:

Ogryn has Crowd Control and tankiness, and the Zealot can shred mobs in melee and melt crowds with the flamer, but Psyker and Veteran kinda fills a lot of the same roles, mainly ranged special removal. The problem is just that the Veteran is miles better at it. I've lost count of the times I try to brain burst a mob, just for a veteran to burst it down in less than half a second when I'm at 75% channeled. The only mobs I would say Psyker can be better at taking out are Bulwarks and Crushers (though veterans with the bolter are probably better against even those), and arguably dogs if the veteran can't aim.
When you play Psyker on a high level team, it sometimes feels like the veterans you play with have to allow you to actually play your role, which is pretty lovely.

Edit: Not to mention that managing peril is miles more stressful than managing ammo.

With the voidstrike staff, psykers can evaporate a horde at any range (without loving the whole team visually like that loving zealot flamer) can stagger groups at any range and can do gently caress-off damage at any range if you can aim and all without having to worry about ammo.

Vet can do more burst DPS and can definitely handle shooter hordes better, but they can’t crowd control and delete specials simultaneously like the psyker can. The only special that annoys me as the psyker is the mutant since it doesn’t stagger from staff attacks. Anything else though? Lol, poo poo on

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The splash damage on voidstrike is extremely tiny and mostly for the knockback effect (if meatgrinder is to be believed)
The real power comes from it being a 100% pinpoint accurate shot that even the uncharged shot will 1-2 headshot kill most things.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

just had a round on the newer desert level where the elevator just never came lol. anything to do except quit in this circumstance?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The splash damage on voidstrike is extremely tiny and mostly for the knockback effect (if meatgrinder is to be believed)
The real power comes from it being a 100% pinpoint accurate shot that even the uncharged shot will 1-2 headshot kill most things.

It does slightly larger than bolter radius aoe on first enemy contact, but then the pierce just keeps going for what seems to be the same distance as plasma until it hits a rager, mauler, or ogryn. So calling the aoe signature tiny is a bit misleading I'd say. It continues to do extremely lethal damage through everything behind and close to the target, just not off to the sides of its knockdown. The line aoe is also way thicker than plasmas is, so it catches more things in that lethal damage radius as it travels through.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 3, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

what was the ideal base weapon level for crafting again? Lvl 350 gray?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Reminder voidstrike staff is prenerf fireball staff from VT2 which got nerfed for a very good reason and the only reason its acceptable atm is because all the other staffs are still getting tested. The voidstrike is gonna get a massive nerf be prepared for it.

It's really sad seeing how many of these class roles are basically still in alpha because these aren't new sub classes these are your loving basic roles at launch. This poo poo should be concrete already with future classes being balanced off them but as it is entire classes will need massive rebalances because they don't have a niche at all. Who the gently caress uses the trauma staff still? What's the point of head popping a boss when you can use a gun that deals far more DPS without any downsides? Why am i playing a pysker with a lasgun when i could be playing as a veteran?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apparently greys go up to 380 but it seems extremely rare.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want max power grey is 380, green is ~410 range, blue is ~450, purple is ~490.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Oh for sure, the splash damage is trash. The splash stun is huge. And it will carve through a whole line of a horde.

Horde getting close? Angle down so you stagger the front line. One of your friends being swarmed? Fire that bad boy through the horde to explode at their feet, instant escape path. Pinned by a dog? Man, gently caress that dog through the whole horde. Got a team of Ogryns and need to shoot something? No worries my guy, just shoot right through the Ogryn — with the power of the warp, friendly fire isn’t a thing and goes right through them.

Voidstrike is basically taking all the good points of plasma then saying “hey, let’s give this poo poo an area stun and make it not rely on ammo, oh and it still penetrates almost everything and has massive damage (400+ damage charged for higher staffs)”

It might get out bursted by some dope guns like the bolter and plasma gun, but I cannot stress how much voidstrike fucks

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The bolter rocks because it makes dudes explode into a volcano of gibs and also I can press F and hold M1 to make Crushers gently caress off

I also tried out the Accatran and I can see why people itt like it so much, and I'm also having trouble seeing what everyone sees in the Power Sword vs the Chainsword

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the irony is it seems like the point of the trauma staff is that it doesn't do as much damage as the voidstrike staff (it only really does any damage whatsoever in the dead center of its aoe) but its stun splash is that much larger

except, it charges slow as poo poo, it's not *that* much bigger area than the voidstrike staff, it has poo poo range compared to the voidstrike's "anywhere you can point it", and stuff that's dead is way more useful than stuff that's knocked off its feet

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the irony is it seems like the point of the trauma staff is that it doesn't do as much damage as the voidstrike staff (it only does really any damage whatsoever in the dead center of its aoe) but its stun splash is that much larger

except, it charges slow as poo poo, it's not *that* much bigger area than the voidstrike staff, and stuff that's dead is way more useful than stuff that's knocked off its feet

One of the ideal scenarios for the trauma staff is a narrow chokepoint like a doorway, where it can disrupt and explode the first wave and have a ready charge when the second comes through.

The voidstrike will just kill the first, second, and third waves with the same single shot and be ready for the fourth fifth and sixth in that scenario.

Some of the people on the outside edge might survive compared to the trauma, but theyll be stunned and need to file back in line to get obliterated anyways.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah I imagine and hope that people raise enough noise that they give psyker and its gear some love in a rebalance, it's totally viable and still fun to play but its competing in a niche with a class that can pretty much do what it does with no setup and with way higher damage output.

Psyker needs a lot of work and really feels like about three disparate classes shoved together, none of which it does particularly well but some of which it does well enough to retain value. Some of them are just numbers tweaks, some could be fixed by moving talents around from certain tiers to others, but many will require more significant reworks in order to not feel extremely mediocre.

I don't expect Soulblaze to ever feel particularly good even if it gets a big damage upgrade unless they straight up take a bunch of stuff from Sienna that changes the DoT into something more than just damage.

There's a half-assed tank build you can currently do but as it stands you either have to take the 10% chance to Brain Burst on melee or give up taking advantage of Warp Charges altogether, which isn't really an option, at which point the 10% chance is really just a way to keep your charges from running out. The fact that it's random chance is loving nonsense in its own right when it has a 15s cooldown, just make it so that the first melee every 15 seconds brain bursts. Otherwise you're supposed to do what, slap a Mauler around hoping one of them procs the brain burst when you could just dodge backwards and straight up do a brain burst.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

something like an enemy inflicted with soulblaze is slowed by sticky flames and has a 25% chance to explode when they die could really go a long way towards bringing the purgatus staff (and soulblaze) up. things hit hard enough by a trauma staff freeze and take 300% damage for ~2-5 seconds depending on their type. just start ripping deep rock galactic off wholesale fatshark we won't tell.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 3, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok, so:

this blessing-is it adding cleave damage, cleave targets, or both?
is it adding +150% flat, or is it adding +150% of whatever my starting values are?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hoping the other staves will get some buffs before the voidstrike gets gutted.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

Psyker needs a lot of work and really feels like about three disparate classes shoved together, none of which it does particularly well but some of which it does well enough to retain value. Some of them are just numbers tweaks, some could be fixed by moving talents around from certain tiers to others, but many will require more significant reworks in order to not feel extremely mediocre.

I don't expect Soulblaze to ever feel particularly good even if it gets a big damage upgrade unless they straight up take a bunch of stuff from Sienna that changes the DoT into something more than just damage.

There's a half-assed tank build you can currently do but as it stands you either have to take the 10% chance to Brain Burst on melee or give up taking advantage of Warp Charges altogether, which isn't really an option, at which point the 10% chance is really just a way to keep your charges from running out. The fact that it's random chance is loving nonsense in its own right when it has a 15s cooldown, just make it so that the first melee every 15 seconds brain bursts. Otherwise you're supposed to do what, slap a Mauler around hoping one of them procs the brain burst when you could just dodge backwards and straight up do a brain burst.

What difficulty are you playing at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok dumb question time, am I supposed to be buying stuff from the armoury as I level or do I just have bad luck in drops?