Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m sad TCP is turning out to be kind of a flop :(

I'm about 3 hours in and It seems perfectly fine so far. Combat is very timing based. Just some chunky stuttering that hopefully gets fixed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Floor is lava posted:

I'm about 3 hours in and It seems perfectly fine so far. Combat is very timing based. Just some chunky stuttering that hopefully gets fixed soon.

Yeah at $70 it's gonna have to be a lot better than "fine"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm thinking TCP will eventually land in the same basket as control did, where you've got a great looking game with solid combat that's worth maybe $20-30 and not $70+ and will eventually settle there once peak sales are over

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wish I'd noticed a Callisto Protocol patch would be coming out that soon so I could wait and give it a better test, but honestly I kinda just want to play through Dead Space again now anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Trickortreat posted:

The stunning visuals and interesting story will probably force me to tread through it. Terrible game design.

Run, do not walk, run, to the uninstall button.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing on Playstation and apparently that version is the one with the least amount of issues, but it's honestly not a bad game in anyway. It's pretty fun once you learn the combat flow.

My only thing as others have pointed out is that the combat system and the constant brawling almost negates all of the horror and dread because it's disorienting to always be in combat.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

About 4 hours deep into TCP and honestly? It's a fun game. The main issue (stuttering aside, though I didn't have to deal with much), is that the early early game combat is all melee, and the system they've devised is both intuitive and unintuitive at the same time.

Hold A or D to dodge attacks but don't just tap it, hold it, it's not a timing thing! Then you alternate to the opposite key and back again, which gives a nice rhythm to the combat if... if actually trying to figure out which button you need to hold first didn't take what feels like split second timing. Enemies lunge at you very quickly and you need to immediately determine which button to hold based on which arm they attack you with... unless it's a back hand and then you do the opposite?

I'm still unsure tbh, but the enemies hit pretty hard even on medium so you're going to eat poo poo more than a handful of times trying to get used to it, and early on the healing the game gives you is very touch and go between encounters, on top of healing while fighting being basically impossible due to how deliberate and slow the animation to heal is. A choice I'm okay with, but it makes the learning curve early on very difficult, along with some pretty nasty fights they throw you into pretty quickly.

Once you get access to the pistol though the combat opens up and feels way less restrictive, as you can just blast enemies out of their attack animation and start whaling on them, there's even a combat system that incorporates quick firing your weapon automatically at an enemy to extend a chain. You're also perfectly capable of just blasting an enemy to death with your gun but early on at least there's merit in just using it as an enemy interrupt and melee chain extension.

After getting one final piece of kit, I'd say overall the combat is actually pretty fun! I still don't quite have a handle on pure melee but thankfully it's not something they ask you to do constantly, and that combined with the accessibility options that include a number of nifty QoL things to tune your experience with, I'm def enjoying just playing the game.

We'll see how I feel about the story, but so far I'm pretty okay with the money I've spent on it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evil Kit posted:

About 4 hours deep into TCP and honestly? It's a fun game.

Feeling the same. You can do a melee combo and then shoot a pistol shot and go right back in to another melee combo. I found the skunk gun early and have been clearing rooms very easily without having to melee.

One problem I'm having is remembering to use GRP. Its basically one kill per pip of the bar.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Evil Kit posted:

Hold A or D to dodge attacks but don't just tap it, hold it, it's not a timing thing! Then you alternate to the opposite key and back again, which gives a nice rhythm to the combat if... if actually trying to figure out which button you need to hold first didn't take what feels like split second timing. Enemies lunge at you very quickly and you need to immediately determine which button to hold based on which arm they attack you with... unless it's a back hand and then you do the opposite?

Just tested this in case I was missing something and I don't think that's how it works. The only important thing is that you alternate between holding left and right with each dodge, the actual direction the attack is coming from doesn't seem to matter. If a zombie is swinging at you with their right arm you can hold either left or right and it will dodge regardless of which direction you're holding, you just can't try to dodge twice in the same direction if they go for a second swing.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Just tested this in case I was missing something and I don't think that's how it works. The only important thing is that you alternate between holding left and right with each dodge, the actual direction the attack is coming from doesn't seem to matter. If a zombie is swinging at you with their right arm you can hold either left or right and it will dodge regardless of which direction you're holding, you just can't try to dodge twice in the same direction if they go for a second swing.

Pretty sure its holding alternating sides. Holding back to block and a swing makes you trip the enemy some times. On medium the enemies in a group fight are very polite and wait their turn most of the time. lmao

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 3, 2022

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Discendo Vox posted:

Run, do not walk, run, to the uninstall button.

I would second this except that playing through it made me appreciate the games I played afterwards much more.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Guess I was just overthinking it based on the tutorial combat they put you through, I'll have to try it out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Montague Tigg posted:

I would second this except that playing through it made me appreciate the games I played afterwards much more.

Ah yes, the "punching my own crotch" strategy for enjoying life

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Evil Kit posted:

Guess I was just overthinking it based on the tutorial combat they put you through, I'll have to try it out.

What you said is how I was expecting it to work based on footage leading up to the release. Zombie swings at you, you need to react quickly and dodge in the correct direction to avoid it. The way it actually seems to work makes me think they tried that approach and it didn't work outside of a 1v1 situation so they went with this instead since entering a generic "dodge mode" means you can still evade attacks coming from enemies you're not facing directly. I didn't hate it immediately like a lot of reviewers seem to but I've still only played about an hour on account of the performance. Going to wait for the patch and give this game as much good grace as I can despite the reviews, I really want it to be good and there still seems to be a handful of people enjoying the experience.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah yes, the "punching my own crotch" strategy for enjoying life

hey it's been working so far

hup

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just finished watching all of The Devil in Me. What a piece of poo poo.
What's up with horror games doing "lil' Timmy was beaten by his parent which is why he's now a serial killer" constantly?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 3, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of something less awful.

I'm not the kind of person that enjoys horror games but Signalis is loving phenomenal.
I've played through it twice already and I don't have any criticism for it at all. It's an expertly crafted game. Everything from presentation to gameplay is just really well made.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm about half way through The Callisto Protocol and if you didn't backtrack for the pistol shotgun schematic you would have a very different experience than I did. You get the riot shotgun what seems to be about half way through the game.

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of something less awful.

I'm not the kind of person that enjoys horror games but Signalis is loving phenomenal.
I've played through it twice already and I don't have any criticism for it at all. It's an expertly crafted game. Everything from presentation to gameplay is just really well made.

I was getting very frustrated with the six slot inventory system in the flesh zone hauling rings and other items around trying to find where they go. Running back to the storage box over and over. I actually stopped playing because of that.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 3, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

I was getting very frustrated with the six slot inventory system in the flesh zone hauling rings and other items around trying to find where they go. Running back to the storage box over and over. I actually stopped playing because of that.

Most of the time there's little reason to carry more than 2 items on your person, unless you have a good reason for it.

If going back and forth bothers then then you should try that. The game seems to be built in a way to balance itself no matter which way you decide to play.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Most of the time there's little reason to carry more than 2 items on your person, unless you have a good reason for it.

If going back and forth bothers then then you should try that. The game seems to be built in a way to balance itself no matter which way you decide to play.

That's also minus one slot to keep the picture in my inventory to look at occasionally because of how the ending of silent hill 2 works. Which may or may not be a thing. I'm probably meta gaming too hard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

That's also minus one slot to keep the picture in my inventory to look at occasionally because of how the ending of silent hill 2 works. Which may or may not be a thing. I'm probably meta gaming too hard.

Mechanical spoiler without any details:
There are different endings depending on how you play ala Silent Hill 2 but they're actually all fairly reasonable and don't have any weird requirements like that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

What's up with horror games doing "lil' Timmy was beaten by his parent which is why he's now a serial killer" constantly?

Hey, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you get to spoil it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hey, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you get to spoil it

Err...sure, I'll spoiler tag it, but it's not actually related to the main plot in any way?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Signalis is a game with absurdly good atmosphere and art direction but the devs thought item management tedium was a feature everyone loved the most about resident evil for some reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
signalis is the best horror game of the last five years. it's also one of the quietest. this is not a coincidence

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I wish I could get into Signalis but apparently the devs are among the group of people that think PSX inspired means putting a fuzzy headache inducing filter over everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Signalis is a game with absurdly good atmosphere and art direction but the devs thought item management tedium was a feature everyone loved the most about resident evil for some reason.

It's gameplay compliments the atmosphere perfectly.

You're never actually in danger of running out of resources but the fact that you can only carry 2, maybe 3, items with you means that all the encounters stay tense no matter how much ammo you've hoarded throughout the game and if you start carrying a massive arsenal with you then the game balances itself out by not allowing you pick up most of the loot. It's a really well thought out system that fits the rest of the game really well.

Plus, personally, I enjoyed the part where you try to figure out how to use your resources well and what the minimum loadout is that I should be taking with me at any given time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

See I didn't find any encounter tense at all regardless of how much poo poo they put in every room to ferry back and forth between rooms, so it didn't work at all for me. Game needed like half as many keys.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What you said is how I was expecting it to work based on footage leading up to the release. Zombie swings at you, you need to react quickly and dodge in the correct direction to avoid it. The way it actually seems to work makes me think they tried that approach and it didn't work outside of a 1v1 situation so they went with this instead since entering a generic "dodge mode" means you can still evade attacks coming from enemies you're not facing directly. I didn't hate it immediately like a lot of reviewers seem to but I've still only played about an hour on account of the performance. Going to wait for the patch and give this game as much good grace as I can despite the reviews, I really want it to be good and there still seems to be a handful of people enjoying the experience.

It would certainly explain the inconsistent bits I found and I can def chalk up whiffed dodges to me just not holding down dodge the whole time. So weird how trained you get playing games to having to time things instead of just holding down a key to dodge stuff

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I'm about 2 hours into TCP and enjoying it for the most part. It feels like the first game in a new series. I don't mind throwing money at it just to support new ideas (even if they are "let's make a game highly influenced by a previous game"). But looking at some reviews, I feel like I'm either playing a different game than others or the internet has turned us all into "doesn't live up to full expectations" = "this is the worst thing in the world and I'm personally attacked by it".

If we wanna talk about a game that I regret and feel personally attacked by, preordering The Chant was a mistake.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I got so sick of item management in Signalis that by about the halfway point I stopped carrying a weapon with me, bringing only a repair patch whenever I left safe rooms. And it was still tedious how quickly things filled up and then needed to get dropped off

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

Err...sure, I'll spoiler tag it, but it's not actually related to the main plot in any way?

Thanks. For someone who hasn't played it, it looks like there's a big correlation in that statement though, y'know?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Thanks. For someone who hasn't played it, it looks like there's a big correlation in that statement though, y'know?

It's really just a throwaway line that never gets brought up again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

tensai posted:

But looking at some reviews, I feel like I'm either playing a different game than others or the internet has turned us all into "doesn't live up to full expectations" = "this is the worst thing in the world and I'm personally attacked by it".

Yes, easily 50% of negative judgement of media these days. I'm also a big fan of any negative steam review that amounts to "I'm bad at the game, the game must be bad."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jack Trades posted:

Probably the fair amount of real-life serial killers who had abusive childhoods (though hilariously H.H. Holmes was not one of those his life was pretty unremarkable before he decided to become a pharmacist who "accidentally" killed people and moved onto Murder Housing)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Honestly once you know the game is about a serial killer - which you can't convince me is a spoiler - anyone with a cursory knowledge of horror fiction can fill in those blanks. Supermassive don't make games that rely on the cleverness or surprise of their "lore", you play them for other reasons.

Best case scenario imo you play them because you can call every shot they make as soon as it becomes apparent it's possible for them to shoot

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If anything the best parts of a game like Devil In Me are when you call a shot, the writers make a bizarre decision that makes it seem as though the obvious won't happen, but then a sloppy contrivance brings it back around to the obvious happening.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

supermassive games have yet to match the absolute peak of illbleeds killerman reveal

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Let's not forget that the series probably would still be continuing to do it was all a dream twists if people didn't push back hard against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Illbleed is garbage but I would pay like 20bux for a port

Blue Stinger too while I'm at it

And bring back Dino Crisis you monsters