Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

karmicknight posted:

So you are objecting to the underlying mechanic of dynamic treaty ports.

do you think france had unfettered access to the british market in the 19th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

karmicknight posted:

I think it's more that treaty ports are the only way to carve up states - so you couldn't have the Falklands/Heligoland/etc dynamically represented in-game without accidentally creating the Common Market ahead of schedule. There were a lot of flyspeck islands/exclaves in the time for coaling stations and naval bases, being able to take something like that should be separate to forcing open markets

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
treaty ports are not the only way to carve up states tho colonizing can do this also lots and lots of germany is little tiny specks

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

do you think france had unfettered access to the british market in the 19th century

it is sort of goofy that the trading system doesnt really account for transportation costs except in an extremely abstract way

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

jsoh posted:

treaty ports are not the only way to carve up states tho colonizing can do this also lots and lots of germany is little tiny specks

True, but unless you micro each colony you don't get to chose where/how it grows (haven't done a lot of it, so may be wrong) and once split states are unified there's no way to re-split them

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

karmicknight posted:

Dynamic treaty ports are fine. What is not fine is conquering territory that contains a treaty port, and then suddenly the person who owns that port gets unfettered access to your market. I think the power ranking thing works well for that - the idea that if you're a big fish you can tell other big fish to gently caress off without even fighting them, but if you're a smaller regional power, then you just have to accept that GB has access to your stuff unless you go to war over it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The dynamic treaty port system that takes country rank into account does not give France unfettered access to the British market.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Friendly tip: if you're trying to get the 'Bourbon for everyone' cheevo, do NOT form Iberia. Yes, the achievement is worded 'Starting as Spain...' but what it means is 'Playing as Spain...' :negative:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It does seem weird that it's a hardcoded thing, and not a province modifier.

Relatedly, if Britain were to take Hong Kong, and then later take the rest of Guangdong, would they lose the treaty port market access?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eiba posted:

The dynamic treaty port system that takes country rank into account does not give France unfettered access to the British market.

People don't have a problem with treaty ports as a concept - there should be a mechanism to allow say, the UK to force opium onto the Chinese market via a ceded port like Hong Kong, as that historically happened.

However, the current system has problems, for example Pondicherry and Gibraltar.

In the current patch, Pondicherry gives France access to the UK's market, which is ahistorical and bad. The system being patched in on Monday will mitigate this - as long as the UK is of equal or greater status to France, Pondicherry will not allow France access to their market. However, it does mean the UK has a sort of time-bomb now, where if they ever become of lesser status to France, Pondicherry will immediately grant France access to their market. This is less ahistorical and bad than Pondicherry operating like this from day 1 of the game, but still ahistorical and bad.

Gibraltar's bad in both versions of the game, granting the UK access to the Spanish market. It's unaffected by the patch as the UK is a Great Power and Spain is not. This is ahistorical and bad.

So that's where I'm at - the patch on Monday mitigates the single worst problem with treaty ports (France having day 1 access to the UK market), but it only mitigates it, and there are other problems with treaty ports it doesn't touch.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It does seem weird that it's a hardcoded thing, and not a province modifier.

Relatedly, if Britain were to take Hong Kong, and then later take the rest of Guangdong, would they lose the treaty port market access?

I think that's how it works, yeah. Treaty ports need to be a single province in a region, and all single provinces in a region that have different ownership than the region are treaty ports.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 2, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Maybe treaty ports should be more restricted in which goods you can trade through them, making it so that they enable access to a limited set of goods depending on the target country or something like that. A larger set could cost authority maybe, to symbolize the great power imposing their will.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'd say the ideal would be for a treaty port to have a target country plus a target good. So Hong Kong would target China and force them to accept opium imports into their market from the UK market. If Hong Kong ever ends up not bordering China (and how that works exactly given that China might have a revolution or other tag switch is a question for programmers) then the Treaty Port relationship should need to be reevaluated somehow - maybe the UK would get a different treaty port that does border China and Hong Kong is returned to China, or something. Maybe it'd be an event with different options where China could push to remove the relationship at the risk of the UK going to war with them for a new treaty port.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gibraltar is easy to fix, Oman has a treaty port that's not a treaty port on Persia so it's possible to have surrendered ports without them working as treaty ports

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Agean90 posted:

Gibraltar is easy to fix, Oman has a treaty port that's not a treaty port on Persia so it's possible to have surrendered ports without them working as treaty ports

Omani Laristan isn't a treaty port, it's a split state. It doesn't function as a treaty port for the same reasons as like, Ottoman Adana doesn't function as a treaty port on Egypt.

I vaguely remember someone from Paradox saying they didn't want to model Gibraltar as a split state but I don't remember why.

Oh yeah, here's the craziness I saw regarding treaty ports:

quote:

any unincorporated state that is the only port province of the state region and is in a foreign market automatically defaults to being a treaty-port.

Goa and Ceuta are other ports affected.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 2, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its weird that there is no simulation at all of the global market. all the markets are cordoned off from eachother and only interact discretely and on purpose

id also like more organic or emergent stuff where populations or IGs have their own agency but thats really not how the game is designed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gort posted:

In the current patch, Pondicherry gives France access to the UK's market, which is ahistorical and bad. The system being patched in on Monday will mitigate this - as long as the UK is of equal or greater status to France, Pondicherry will not allow France access to their market. However, it does mean the UK has a sort of time-bomb now, where if they ever become of lesser status to France, Pondicherry will immediately grant France access to their market. This is less ahistorical and bad than Pondicherry operating like this from day 1 of the game, but still ahistorical and bad.
I understand how it works in the current patch and I think it's good they're changing it soon.

I think if something has gone wrong enough for the UK to lose its great power rank, and yet still somehow controls India, things have gone really off the rails for them and it's hard to say what would make sense.

Keep in mind "rank" in this case means great power, major power, etc. If France is number one and the UK is number two, that's not going to let France bully the UK.

If the UK is considered to not be a great power, but still controls India, honestly it makes some sense to let France get in on some economic imperialism leveraging Pondicherry. Bit weird that they can use it to suck industrial goods out of London, but that's just a consequence of the useful abstraction of national markets. And this will only happen in the UK craters hard, so I'd imagine France would be taking advantage of their floundering neighbor in any case.

More realistically what this system will allow is for France to automatically have a foot in the door with a newly independent India. I think that's a good and plausible dynamic system.

Agreed that Gibraltar is a bit weird though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Eiba posted:

More realistically what this system will allow is for France to automatically have a foot in the door with a newly independent India. I think that's a good and plausible dynamic system.

That doesn't seem right to me at all. Why would France get to be economically dominant over independent India?

I'm not an expert in the history of Pondicherry, but I don't think it was ever a treaty port in the same way Hong Kong allowed the UK to flood China with opium against the wishes of the Chinese state, it was just a trade hub.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
P sure Goa was just conquered, and Pondichery was yoinked off the danes. They weren't ever 19th century treaty ports.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

id also like more organic or emergent stuff where populations or IGs have their own agency but thats really not how the game is designed.

It feels weird when you’ve passed all the laws you wanted and basically have no reason to open up the politics screen again. It doesn’t matter if the people vote in the fascists or whatever when you’re the only one who can ever propose new laws in first place. (Well, political movements can “pass” a law by winning a civil war against you, but that’s more about turmoil management and has its own issues in any case.)

Sure, that’s how reforms were in Vicky 2, but at least political parties back then actually had some meaningful diegetic effects on gameplay.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

Why?

karmicknight posted:

IMHO treaty ports should not be dynamic. They should be created by treaties

feller
Jul 5, 2006

double post

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

feller posted:

Why?

IMHO treaty ports should not be dynamic. They should be created by treaties

Yeah the extreme focus on the "port" aspect is really bizarre. Sure Hong Kong was valuable because it was a good port location but the relationship between China and the UK is equally important. The rights associated with a treaty port shouldn't automatically transfer like this. And random 1-province ports shouldn't spontaneously become treaty ports either.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Treaty ports are bizarre. If I conquer the state a treaty port is in why do I suddenly have to uphold it? So dumb

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah the extreme focus on the "port" aspect is really bizarre. Sure Hong Kong was valuable because it was a good port location but the relationship between China and the UK is equally important. The rights associated with a treaty port shouldn't automatically transfer like this. And random 1-province ports shouldn't spontaneously become treaty ports either.

Pretty much this. It should be a diplomatic relation, not some magical inherent property of land you happen to own

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
As we know, the United Kingdom maintained total and unfettered access to Chinese markets until 1997 when China made a diplomatic play to recover Hong Kong and the UK backed down, and their current economic problems are in part because they were never really able to rebalance their economy to account for the loss of that market.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's an abstraction for a particular kind of relationship.

Yes it's just a trading center and not a Hong Kong kind of forced deal. But it's a French trading center in India. It makes sense for that to give France some advantage in controlling trade with India. Otherwise why would they bother maintaining it?

The market system and treaty port mechanics are all abstractions anyway. This is an interesting game mechanic that has some vague logic and precedent.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I don’t really care about the realism aspect so treaty ports being treaty ports is fine. But none of them should be in in game start, it should be an explicit act of imperialism you do when you want a market to sell poo poo in or buy poo poo from. Not sure goa or pondicherry should even be in the game at the abstraction the game goes for but I know it makes people happy

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

It's an abstraction for a particular kind of relationship.

Yes it's just a trading center and not a Hong Kong kind of forced deal. But it's a French trading center in India. It makes sense for that to give France some advantage in controlling trade with India. Otherwise why would they bother maintaining it?

The market system and treaty port mechanics are all abstractions anyway. This is an interesting game mechanic that has some vague logic and precedent.

It gives them a free interest and a naval base in the region. That's not enough?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

feller posted:

It gives them a free interest and a naval base in the region. That's not enough?
Sure? That's not really the issue.

There are only so many ways countries can interact in the scope of a game like this. There's a nifty system for treaty ports that represent economic advantages of European control of trade. We could strip out all but the purest versions of what that system represents, or you could keep in some edge cases for the sake of flavor.

I'm personally on the side of not homogenizing everything and letting historical and geographical factors affect gameplay, even when the system isn't a perfect simulation. It's an abstraction and an interesting gameplay system. Might as well use it.

It makes enough sense to me that asymmetric trade issues would result from having a trading city carved out of another country that you see as lesser than yours.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

It makes enough sense to me that asymmetric trade issues would result from having a trading city carved out of another country that you see as lesser than yours.
The people on the other end don't see themselves as lesser than you though, and you only get "the economic advantages of control of trade" if you can actually actually control trade. Portugal and France weren't dominating India after the British left.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The people on the other end don't see themselves as lesser than you though, and you only get "the economic advantages of control of trade" if you can actually actually control trade. Portugal and France weren't dominating India after the British left.
And if India is the same or higher rank than them, they still won't. I'm pretty sure the East India Company would be a great power if you just released it at game start.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

Sure? That's not really the issue.

You asked why france would bother maintaining a port in India besides getting unlimited access to India's market. I gave you two reasons.

If making Pondicherry not a treaty port is homogenizing the game then lol, and appealing to historicity is just wrong and weird.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Gibraltar isn't a treaty port it's just a split state. Unless it starts that way and then there's some decision or event that deactivates it (which is entirely possible because I'm not great at reading every event that comes through the feed)

Also I'm the #1 producer of ironclads, woo!...

...and there is no #2 Every AI in the game, friend and foe alike is 100% dependent on me for ship hulls. Even my rival Italy. The AI should be terrified of being in this position because they're completely crippled if they're ever in a war against me, yet the AI allows itself to be compromised for strategic goods all the time.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

On the subject of India and for the next content patch - the East India company needs some events to turn it into India or something if it becomes a Council Republic at the least. A Company that has broken free of India but retains a thin oligarchic British strata of leadership makes sense but as soon as it moves to Landed Voting, or a Monarchy or Council Republic that should be a tag switch or something so that the Leader of the Council Republic of British India being an English guy under Landed Voting.

In general Council Republics and Landed/Wealth voting should be incompatible Laws. It's a weird setup right now where Revolutions only change a few laws so you end up with Landed Voting Council Republics formed by the Rural Folk.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

See also the phenomenon of New Africa revolts in the southern US that have legacy slavery and racial discrimination

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

feller posted:

You asked why france would bother maintaining a port in India besides getting unlimited access to India's market. I gave you two reasons.

If making Pondicherry not a treaty port is homogenizing the game then lol, and appealing to historicity is just wrong and weird.
I've posted enough on this subject, but I can't help myself and just want to clarify here- That was a rhetorical question emphasizing that Pondicherry should be useful in controlling trade. A European power wouldn't maintain a city on the other side of the world unless it gave them some benefit. These kinds of cities were set up to facilitate and control trade. They were set up in prior centuries under much more even terms, but having them turn more exploitative in a fantasy world where there's a weak, independent India in the 19th century is fine and good.

My position is that it's a nifty gameplay system and a close-enough historical case so, all else being equal, they should keep it like it is (with the rank thing reworked), for the sake of a more interesting economic/geopolitical landscape. If it resulted in really silly weirdness (like it currently does) it should be changed. And they went ahead and changed it so that's cool.

And in any case it's such an edge case that it'd even be relevant that I'm not sure why this discussion has gone on for so long besides my pedantic need to keep clarifying.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is it just me or is every loving leader a bandit? There has to be something going on with the way that traits are assigned. I took a look at the code, and it looks like the only universal traits are Bandit and Explorer, which is, uh, terrible. For whatever reason, explorer is a lot less common, but bandit just shows up everywhere. At this point I'm just going to mod out the negatives from the trait because something is hosed with the way that they're selected.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Family Values posted:

Friendly tip: if you're trying to get the 'Bourbon for everyone' cheevo, do NOT form Iberia. Yes, the achievement is worded 'Starting as Spain...' but what it means is 'Playing as Spain...' :negative:

Same thing for Sikh Empire, btw. You have to remain the Sikh Empire to pull it off. Form India after you've gotten the achievement.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
dicktoria 3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hailthefish posted:

See also the phenomenon of New Africa revolts in the southern US that have legacy slavery and racial discrimination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

See now this is the wacky alt history path I want in the USA dlc.