Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Same, the grass/antigrass part of the game just stops working. You gain grass currency but no upgrades are being bought (not PP or crystal ones either)
I was working on the rocketry part of the game when this happened.

EDIT: spoiler

You probably maxed that out. One of the steel upgrades puts unlocks to uncap various old upgrades on the same page as rocket fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
It plays out as a bug at least.

All the upgrades remain at 0/xxx and progress is nowhere near what it was before it bugged out. (e.g. would get to level 700 or so in seconds before it bugged out, now progress tapers off at 140ish)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 1, 2022

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone got a sense of what class level / resurrection level i should be to make FAPI challenge #7 doable in an hour or two?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I like Your Chronicle so far. Reminds me of Arcanum: Theory of Magic. It is not really an idle game at the start at least as there is a lot of active actions that needs to be done. Guess maybe that changes later when you have to grind for summons?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Arcanum so it sounds like I should check out Your Chronicle.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You end up with a couple forms of automation in Your Chronicle, iirc you get auto-eat so that you can passively grind stats from the food that drops from enemies, and I think after your first prestige (edit: not the rituals, but like when you actually get an ending and start back from the beginning) you get the ability to actually automate some actions.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 1, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Pretty far in the future then. I don't mind having to be a bit active though.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kyrosiris posted:

How long did you take for the 16-grasshop reset, and how many stars did you have? I'm trying to do that myself and it's taking days.

Took me 8-10 hours of semi-active play. I don't remember my star count. Maybe 500-1000ish?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hryme posted:

I like Your Chronicle so far. Reminds me of Arcanum: Theory of Magic. It is not really an idle game at the start at least as there is a lot of active actions that needs to be done. Guess maybe that changes later when you have to grind for summons?

Yeah, as Arzaac mentioned after the first story completion aka prestige you start getting access to more automation.

Sidenote to save your rubies for party slots.

A lot of the first run is checking in hourly to dark ritual, upgrade summons, eat food, and spend destiny to progress the story.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 2, 2022

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone got a sense of what class level / resurrection level i should be to make FAPI challenge #7 doable in an hour or two?

Harvester is great for challenges once you have the "stun with crit" ability from the earlier challenges. At 50% crit rate and multiple attacks per second from skull upgrades, it's very effective.

Not sure about reincarnation level unfortunately, but it's worth a shot with Harvester at whichever level you can unlock the challenge.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I was extremely invested in Your Chronicle for a while, getting up to 22 reincarnations, apparently

I haven't touched it in the last year though I'm halfway curious what the new path is. I've forgotten basically everything about the game tho

one major annoyance I had (along with many minor nitpicks) is how often there would be a task that takes 10 clicks to get through, costing increasing levels of inspo like 2500, then 3000, then 3500 etc. Since inspiration is capped you can't do it all in one go, and you can't queue it to do all the levels automatically.

It felt pretty satisfying to get more and more powerful and breeze through those earlier stages but it still takes a very long time to do a reincarnation

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
In Your Chronicle when you are raising your magic skills and stamina with habits will they still rise offline while you are using the resources in a dungeon? I have been turning the skills off so far before going offline. Wondering because it requires that you have a certain amount of it to start the habit routine.

Edit: Tested it and turning skills off is not needed.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 3, 2022

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I curse this thread for putting me on Theresmore. It's so slow, but there's just enough levers for me to be slightly entertained and occupied. I suspect I'm gonna give up on it fairly quickly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Xtanstic posted:

I curse this thread for putting me on Theresmore. It's so slow, but there's just enough levers for me to be slightly entertained and occupied. I suspect I'm gonna give up on it fairly quickly.

Just play Evolve instead if you haven't. Same idea with far more content and a usable UI.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i like theresmore. it's got weird poo poo to it but the combat and prestige systems are pretty well implemented and the emphasis on lots of segmented buildings with major effects when completed is something i like more than evolve's. there's also a lot of different forms of progression as you approach the endgame, with some portions coming from combat, others coming from diplomacy or buildings, etc.

the version number says 0.43, so if you don't like it i would recommend coming back in a few months to see if the dev keeps at it. i think it'll be really good with a few more balance passes and some quality of life fixes

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Rynoto posted:

Just play Evolve instead if you haven't. Same idea with far more content and a usable UI.

i do not like evolve at all, and its mostly for indefinable reasons like 'idk feels bad'

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For what it's worth I also find the Theresmore general loop to be more interesting than Evolve, even if Evolve currently has more stuff. It's something to watch, imo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I pushed through to one of the late-game resets and couldn't be bothered babysitting the early game yet again.

If someone makes a helper script like Evolve has then someone please post it in the thread so I can come back.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Xtanstic posted:

I curse this thread, Theresmore.

goddammit I need to put in another name change request, someone remind me in the morning

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hryme posted:

Yeah, it remains fairly active throughout. Generally the best way to make progress through the storyline is by checking in every few minutes or so to spend your destiny and whatever other resources you collected through combat, and many of the game's progression systems are balanced around triggering the Dark Ritual reset mechanic as often as possible, ideally as soon as it's off its hour-long cooldown.

There's a lot of content to crunch through and a lot of interlocking systems and menus, but once you reach the first prestige a lot of QOL and automation features unlock in the form of Sloth, such as the ability to auto-assign habits or set up a chain of actions that will run on repeat. For example you can set up a chain of two different boss dungeons, so that /when you kill the first boss you instantly enter the second boss's dungeon and then back again, which saves a lot of time "exiting" the dungeons and is great for farming up quick gold or food.

Also, while there are a lot of actions in every "zone" for you to pursue for more destiny, stats and habit efficiency, most of them are optional for the first Chronicle especially once you get to the City, although they may help you advance through the dungeons and guild assignments you'll need to complete to get the next zone quests. Talk to the receptionist!!

As far as the ruby store goes, Party Slots are the only thing I'd really consider mandatory. Party templates are really nice too and more shortcuts make the Sloth feature a lot stronger, auto sacred ritual saves a lot of menuing over time too.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

Generally the best way to make progress through the storyline is by checking in every few minutes or so to spend your destiny and whatever other resources you collected through combat, and many of the game's progression systems are balanced around triggering the Dark Ritual reset mechanic as often as possible, ideally as soon as it's off its hour-long cooldown.

Thanks for this. I had been having longer runs because it seemed like I needed familiar buffs to get efficient kills. But I guess it is better to maximise inspiration income. Is the rare monsters worth going for? I maxed out the first fairy but that took a long time. I think I will skip the forest fairy.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I like the idea of games like Evolve or Theresmore but I really dislike having to do things like manage troops and combat. When I played Civ 5 I'd be a huge pacifist and would just be so nice nobody would go to war with me, or I'd make myself super rich and buy their friendship just because I don't like managing combat like that.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rynoto posted:

It's funny because I must have tried it way back when. Talk about Theresmore led me to Evolve which already had an ongoing save but I must have barely touched it / bounced off it ages ago. I generally like faster idle games, unless the UI/early knobs and levers grab me like Theresmore has.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Is there a way to change the tick speed in theresmore like you can in evolve?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I like the idea of games like Evolve or Theresmore but I really dislike having to do things like manage troops and combat. When I played Civ 5 I'd be a huge pacifist and would just be so nice nobody would go to war with me, or I'd make myself super rich and buy their friendship just because I don't like managing combat like that.

I just don't bother with combat until I'm uniting everyone, and the necessary stuff for hell but once you understand it, it's not really combat.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Nervous posted:

Is there a way to change the tick speed in theresmore like you can in evolve?

I wasn't able to find an "easy" way, and the source isn't available.

Edit: the roundabout way is to grab an older version of chromium that supports the --nosandbox arg then target the specific chromium process with cheat engine.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 3, 2022

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hryme posted:

Thanks for this. I had been having longer runs because it seemed like I needed familiar buffs to get efficient kills. But I guess it is better to maximise inspiration income. Is the rare monsters worth going for? I maxed out the first fairy but that took a long time. I think I will skip the forest fairy.

Yeah you definitely want to maximize inspiration. This isn't NGU where sometimes you're better off pushing for longer runs to push a new zone or whatever. Some of the features requiring a slightly higher Sacred Ritual may look tempting to you but you're pretty much always better off getting more Inspiration points which you can then turn into stats / habit efficiency which both will help you hit a higher SR rank. Likewise, you're better off losing a high talent multiplier with Dark Ritual and having a slightly lower sacred ritual level the next run to get more inspiration.

Speaking of inspiration, the special upgrades in the middle of the Astral World are great but don't neglect the infinite upgrades on the left either. Stats and habit efficiency are both very valuable, so is Auto Level Up+ which increases how many seeds your monsters will use at a time while auto-leveling. Pro tip: you can mass dump inspiration into these upgrades by pressing "A" when hovering over them, the game will treat it as a max click. This works on pretty much every instant action button and is especially useful for actions where you're spending gold or gaining destiny, or even spending gold to gain destiny.

Rare mobs in the game are pretty good but IMO not essential and probably not worth pursing outside of an overnight idle or unless you really have nothing better to do. They tend to be good for passive resource generation rather than combat, so for example the flower fairy is great for keeping your wreath supply stocked but you probably won't want one in battle. If you can get just one level of a rare monster's summon and you don't mind waiting until later to max it out, there's a very reliable way to farm up the rest and max your monster at the end of your run, which is also a very good place for seed farming.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 3, 2022

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
My thanks to the thread for pointing out the FE000000 in-game guide, it's a very cool feature.

On the other hand, reading over the guide to date makes me feel very, very stupid and is extremely demotivating to continuing play. Ah, yes, this thing that took me a couple of days to work through should have only taken six minutes had I known to swap out one of the studies halfway through, hmm, yes, interesting. Ah, right, I had hit a complete brick wall for multiple days and actually skipped part of the progression because I similarly hadn't tried the correct combination of studies and challenges yet. Hmm. Okay.

Also, after opening the guide, respeccing my studies the first time after that anomalously lead to a huge explosion in resources which suddenly allowed me to make several EG and EP purchases after days of exactly 0 progress???? I'm not seeing where unspent theorems are worth more than purchased studies???

In short, I have progressed thanks to the in-game guide, but now I know less about the game than before consulting it

E: Upon rereading the segment I'd been consulting I also see that I have significantly fewer theorems than the guide expects me to at this point in progression, despite playing for exponentially longer than the guide up to this point in the progression and somehow having enough resources to continue following its advice so far by dropping a suggested study. I'm growing more confused the longer I try to understand this, and I suspect I should leave it for a day when I've actually managed to sleep the night before.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 3, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Meh, for Eternity Challenges just use the guide to figure out what studies to use. gently caress understanding those yourself
Respeccing your studies does an eternity reset, maybe you simply gained a lot of EP from that?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Respeccing your studies does an eternity reset, maybe you simply gained a lot of EP from that?

That was my assumption, but given I'd done one just a few minutes before that, I remain confused. Still, buttons are now lighting up and purchases are happening so...progress, probably?

Unrelated, but the spontaneous generation game is proving to at least be an interesting toy to kick and gawk at

It's like the XKCD textual version of a Minecraft Skyblock mod

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 3, 2022

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
I've recently started playing Idlemancery and it has been scratching the similar itch as playing through Alkahistorian or Orb of Creation for the first time. Been playing for roughly a day so I'm not sure how long the game is but I have 6 out of the 10 systems unlocked so far.

The start of each prestige's are a bit on the active side but it doesn't take too long to unlock the automation features. I've only just unlocked research but it looks like that will help with some of the early active play of each prestige.

The game has a bit of a story with goals attached so you know what you need to do to unlock more actions or upgrades.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Okay, it's obviously not going to be for everyone, and it's extremely weird and abstruse by design, but The Barnacle Goose Experiment whips rear end, actually, and I quite enjoyed it.

Just learn from my mistakes: you absolutely do not need to go all-in on economy. There's various ways to get resources that produce resources and ways to power those resources up, but if you auto-clicker through that process you may well end up with mountains of resources producing resources that produce resources in a big tangled mess and the UI makes it extremely difficult to fix that situation if it really gets going. My game was almost unplayable due to lag near the end. Just take it easy, feel free to build up some economy resources as you encounter them for convenience, but you don't need a mountain of things making GBS threads out other things every tick, it's just not that kind of game.

The game should be completable in a day or two even with bumbling. It basically consists of the dopamine rush of finding new verb combinations in doodle god, with a hint of the insufferably twee and monkey-cheese navel-gazing writing of xkcd's more artsy-fartsy projects. Essentially the whole point of the game is to piece together what the gently caress you're even doing, and by the end the (admittedly extremely sparse) story that you reveal makes the end goal apparent and reasonable and impactful enough.

I will say that I absolutely cannot recommend the game to everyone. It's trying very, very hard to be bizarre, seems to be predicated largely on a piece of ancient debunked science trivia predating the scientific method, and it has an intentionally bare, stark, and occasionally oppressive atmosphere. Its writing isn't too over-the-top, though, what little you get, so I enjoyed the journey. If you wanna just mash some words together doodle-god style and enjoy some excessively post-modernist bullshit with just a couple of soft attempts to pluck a heartstring or two, it's perfectly serviceable and reasonably well-put-together. For all its faults, I liked it.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 4, 2022

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Okay, it's obviously not going to be for everyone, and it's extremely weird and abstruse by design, but The Barnacle Goose Experiment whips rear end, actually, and I quite enjoyed it.

Just learn from my mistakes: you absolutely do not need to go all-in on economy. There's various ways to get resources that produce resources and ways to power those resources up, but if you auto-clicker through that process you may well end up with mountains of resources producing resources that produce resources in a big tangled mess and the UI makes it extremely difficult to fix that situation if it really gets going. My game was almost unplayable due to lag near the end. Just take it easy, feel free to build up some economy resources as you encounter them for convenience, but you don't need a mountain of things making GBS threads out other things every tick, it's just not that kind of game.

The game should be completable in a day or two even with bumbling. It basically consists of the dopamine rush of finding new verb combinations in doodle god, with a hint of the insufferably twee and monkey-cheese navel-gazing writing of xkcd's more artsy-fartsy projects. Essentially the whole point of the game is to piece together what the gently caress you're even doing, and by the end the (admittedly extremely sparse) story that you reveal makes the end goal apparent and reasonable and impactful enough.

I will say that I absolutely cannot recommend the game to everyone. It's trying very, very hard to be bizarre, seems to be predicated largely on a piece of ancient debunked science trivia predating the scientific method, and it has an intentionally bare, stark, and occasionally oppressive atmosphere. Its writing isn't too over-the-top, though, what little you get, so I enjoyed the journey. If you wanna just mash some words together doodle-god style and enjoy some excessively post-modernist bullshit with just a couple of soft attempts to pluck a heartstring or two, it's perfectly serviceable and reasonably well-put-together. For all its faults, I liked it.

It was funded by some kind of arts grant thing, and for that alone I think it's neat. More weird games funded by goverment grants IMO.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
living the dream of getting public arts money to make a game about combining one's piss and poo poo

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The Barnacle Goose Experiment whips rear end, actually, and I quite enjoyed it.

You can wear the same clothes multiple times

Dust mixed with Piss or Rain makes mud. Fire mixed with two Dust makes Moth (makes silk). Silk and Mud make gloves. Wear infinite gloves, carry infinite items.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, had figured that out towards the end of my playthrough. The specific approach you name is good advice for skipping a lot of the tedium.

I believe you'll still need clothing with the Pocket quality to increase your number of wearables, but that should be easy to stumble into with access to silk and and an expanded inventory.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 5, 2022

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Stop trying to make backing up my file to save happen, theremore. It's not gonna happen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fiss posted:

I've recently started playing Idlemancery and it has been scratching the similar itch as playing through Alkahistorian or Orb of Creation for the first time. Been playing for roughly a day so I'm not sure how long the game is but I have 6 out of the 10 systems unlocked so far.

The start of each prestige's are a bit on the active side but it doesn't take too long to unlock the automation features. I've only just unlocked research but it looks like that will help with some of the early active play of each prestige.

The game has a bit of a story with goals attached so you know what you need to do to unlock more actions or upgrades.
game was fun except that the prestige didn't do nearly enough for me to keep playing, like, after one prestige I expect to be able to skip a fair amount of manual work, maybe I'm just too demanding

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyone got a list of the standouts if the past like 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
FAPI
Dodecadragons
Idle Research (on mobile only?)