Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

this checks out yeah

E: Treasure of the Sierra Madre is such an Eggers style movie I feel dumb for not drawing thar connection before

Thanks to this (and because i love eggers), im watching Treasure of the Sierra Madre right now. never seen it before. so far so good

update: okay. i just finished it. good poo poo. and yes, all i could think about was it was extremely Eggers as hell. it makes perfect sense. extreme lighthouse vibes too

did this movie do well? it seems like it would have went over like a lead balloon in the 1948s: extremely ballsy to do a long rear end movie (for the time), have half the cast be speaking spanish with no subtitles (which would infuriate americans), very cynical moralism, somewhat pro indigenous (a little bit of racism still but far far less than you'd expect for the 40s), and has a very meta cosmic joke for the end that is extremely eggers and would annoy movie watchers. fantastic movie

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Rental Sting posted:

I am just going to do it. Watch Andrei Rublev tonight. Maybe follow it up with Ted 2.

lol following up rublev with Ted 2 is quite the double header

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Segue posted:

The poorest decision I made was to see Climax very high on edibles. It was absolutely a transcendent but horrifying experience.

you made the right choice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Open Source Idiom posted:

Climax is loving great. Just good dancing, followed by... well, it's not quite the John Wick of loving, but it's one of the closer attempts this universe has produced.

putting this on now

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Antonymous posted:

blue velvet is very good

yes

also sound on

https://i.imgur.com/Ba0Eyfc.mp4

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

last movie i saw him in was Blackway, a cheap thriller where he is a convincing creepy drug addict cop

but the whole movie is borderline Geezer Teaser with him and Anthony Hopkins pretty obviously showing up to a budget canadian shoot for like a week max (probably a day's work for Hopkins), with editing and doubles doing some legwork

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ray Liotta's got like four other upcoming movies too

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

some more

barry jenkins' next project is....... a Mufasa "live action"/cgi lion king prequel....... bleak

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZ6HoDE-8Q

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
God I hope it turns out that Mufasa was an usurper too

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
It's kinda weak that Rashomon is the seconding-highest placing Kurosawa on both the critics' and directors' S&S lists. I wouldn't even put it in his top five.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

Thanks to this (and because i love eggers), im watching Treasure of the Sierra Madre right now. never seen it before. so far so good

update: okay. i just finished it. good poo poo. and yes, all i could think about was it was extremely Eggers as hell. it makes perfect sense. extreme lighthouse vibes too

did this movie do well? it seems like it would have went over like a lead balloon in the 1948s: extremely ballsy to do a long rear end movie (for the time), have half the cast be speaking spanish with no subtitles (which would infuriate americans), very cynical moralism, somewhat pro indigenous (a little bit of racism still but far far less than you'd expect for the 40s), and has a very meta cosmic joke for the end that is extremely eggers and would annoy movie watchers. fantastic movie

I think it did well at the box office. critics liked it too and it won a few academy awards. Bogart wasn't nominated though which is weird

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rental Sting posted:

It's kinda weak that Rashomon is the seconding-highest placing Kurosawa on both the critics' and directors' S&S lists. I wouldn't even put it in his top five.

it's really really good and porbably my fav of his as well. lots to think about

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

War and Pieces posted:

Scar is just reclaiming his birthright

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

indigi posted:

it's really really good and porbably my fav of his as well. lots to think about

not how i remember it

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
My family just has christmas movies on and on and on.
And every single one is a new one.

"Goggle, you bitch, tell me how many christmas moves are there in 2022"
Google: 171
https://ew.com/tv/christmas-movies-2022-how-to-watch/?slide=855920f5-8e6b-40c9-a794-a0e0955a7e3e#855920f5-8e6b-40c9-a794-a0e0955a7e3e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObpQKNANJ8

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Rewatched Rashomon last year. Ironically, the film was a lot different than how I remembered it. The first three stories depart from one another so significantly that, to me, it's more about how people lie and manipulate to avoid consequences for their actions rather than subjectivity and varying perceptions of events.

my faves: High and Low, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Stray Dog, Ran, Dersou Uzala (doesn't get enough love).

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rental Sting posted:

The first three stories depart from one another so significantly that, to me, it's more about how people lie and manipulate to avoid consequences for their actions rather than subjectivity and varying perceptions of events.

Always has been

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

christmas boots posted:

I think it did well at the box office. critics liked it too and it won a few academy awards. Bogart wasn't nominated though which is weird
well that's good, im kinda surprised it over well for the time, but maybe im just cynical

that's a shame about bogart tho, his performance was very good and very dafoe-esque. but i gotta say all the performances especially holt and huston were very good too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Watched a Spanish John wick clone (xtremo), my neighbor Totoro w/ my kid (I'd never seen it either) then man bites dog , all in one evening

Hell of a day. Movies are back

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

well that's good, im kinda surprised it over well for the time, but maybe im just cynical

that's a shame about bogart tho, his performance was very good and very dafoe-esque. but i gotta say all the performances especially holt and huston were very good too.

Going out on a limb here, but I would go so far as to say that it might even be his best performance

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

I've said it before but The Lion King is surprisingly right-wing, even putting aside the monarchism

Like, Scar becoming king literally turns the Pride Lands into a post-apocalyptic hellscape, scorched earth and all, and the main policy difference that is ever articulated is that he let the hyenas live there. Uncomfortable racial supremacy overtones. Literally a bad conservative political cartoon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The hyenas are Republicans

There, now it's a left wing movie

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Watched a Spanish John wick clone (xtremo), my neighbor Totoro w/ my kid (I'd never seen it either) then man bites dog , all in one evening

Hell of a day. Movies are back

Knowing there is a Spanish John Wick clone called "xtremo" has absolutely enriched my evening

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m watching Christine (1983) by John Car penter about a haunted car (shout out to the car hater thread). it’s really funny so far. jealous car.

actually it’s like Tesla self driving :aaa:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

mastershakeman posted:

The hyenas were all banned from Twitter and Scar did a mass pardon after taking control, ruining the brand for everyone

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

no wonder they destroyed the pride lands

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whoopi Goldberg actually got the role as Hyena #2 because she was cancelled by the woke mob

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Christine is more interesting than I thought. it’s covering commodity fetishism, identification with and alienation from the product of your labor, and how there are roads loving everywhere so you can have a hard time running away from cars.

wasp bourgeois ideals making it an embarrassment for the nerd to take shop class

fear if the machine coming alive. the dead labor embodied within, hinted at in the beginning with the assembly line scene, coming back to haunt you.

e: the solution really is:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Dec 4, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

quote:

playing the Mexican boy who sells Humphrey Bogart a winning lottery ticket and gets a glass of water thrown in his face by Bogart in the process.

quote:

Blake played real-life murderer Perry Smith, to whom he bore a chilling resemblance. Richard Brooks received two Oscar nominations for the film

quote:

Both Smith and Hickock are charged with first-degree murder, found guilty on all counts, and each sentenced to death by hanging.

quote:

Blake continued acting until 1997's Lost Highway.

quote:

In the East, the Far East, when a person is sentenced to death, they're sent to a place where they can't escape, never knowing when an executioner may step up behind them, and fire a bullet into the back of their head.

quote:

In 1999, Blake met Bonny Lee Bakley, formerly of Wharton, New Jersey, who had already been married nine times and reportedly had a history of exploiting older men, especially celebrities, for money.

quote:

On May 4, 2001, Blake took Bakley out for dinner at Vitello's Italian Restaurant at 4349 Tujunga Avenue in Studio City, California. Bakley was fatally shot in the head while sitting in Blake's vehicle, which was parked on a side street around the corner from the restaurant, across the street and behind a dumpster next to a construction site. Blake claimed that he had returned to the restaurant to collect a pistol which he had left inside and claimed that he had not been present when the shooting took place. The pistol Blake claimed to have left in the restaurant was later found and determined by police not to be the murder weapon.[24]

quote:

On April 22, 2002, Blake was charged with one count of murder with special circumstances, an offense which carried a possible death penalty. He was also charged with two counts of solicitation of murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder. Blake entered a plea of not guilty

quote:

When Blake was having particular difficulty with a scene, Garfield took the child star aside and gave him some advice: "Robert, remember this for the rest of your life - your life is a rehearsal, your performance is real."

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Dec 4, 2022

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i like how his alibi for not shooting her was that he left to get another gun

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the kurosawa where the dude requests to commit suicide in the courtyard

that one was neat

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

I've said it before but The Lion King is surprisingly right-wing, even putting aside the monarchism

Like, Scar becoming king literally turns the Pride Lands into a post-apocalyptic hellscape, scorched earth and all, and the main policy difference that is ever articulated is that he let the hyenas live there. Uncomfortable racial supremacy overtones. Literally a bad conservative political cartoon

in a modern context yeah that's fash however In a pre modern context that's literally every single story so I'll give the original lion king a pass.

They're not trying to tell a story about today or any extant point in history. They're trying to create a timeless myth and I think they succeed at that.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

what's the kurosawa where the dude requests to commit suicide in the courtyard

that one was neat

are you thinking of Harakiri? that was Kobayashi who did the Human Condition series. they all kick rear end though, agreed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

are you thinking of Harakiri? that was Kobayashi who did the Human Condition series. they all kick rear end though, agreed

oh gently caress it waaaaas lol. I don't think I've ever seen a kurosawa then

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ran is also really good, but it's also just King Lear, which is great if you like King Lear, but if you want something more original, there are better choices in his portfolio.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ran is only somewhat similar to King Lear, while Throne of Blood is an actual adaptation of Macbeth. Both films are way better than the Shakespeare versions, because they have samurai and none of the gay boring dialogue.

Best introductory Kurosawa is Rashomon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This morning I spent like four hours watching Andy Hardy movies. Still pretty funny tbh. Could do without the racism though

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People will reference Rashomon in all sorts of situations, so I can see why people think it's one of his most important movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

that's what the movie is going for yeah

Be Prepared was supposed to cover up the racist undertones by making the hyenas Nazis