Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's one parking garage I like to use downtown in the rare occasion I have to drive there, because it was built in the 1950s and new trucks don't fit. Always an open spot there.

I have seen this already with new construction in the western suburbs here. The garage doors are the extra-height maintenance bay doors.

meanwhile over here they're building garages smaller than ever and even the developer's promotional renders don't pretend a car will fit inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Correctly sized garage right there. You could fit a dozen bikes inside with room to spare for tools, a workbench, and a wheelbuilding station!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Loucks posted:

Correctly sized garage right there. You could fit a dozen bikes inside with room to spare for tools, a workbench, and a wheelbuilding station!

Get out of my dreams and into my life!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there's so much room for activities!!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

wow, sure would be bad for people if cities were to do some ableism

just how bad of the ableism is it? they're putting in a bike lane and losing like 3 parking spots https://www.berkeleyside.org/2022/10/12/berkeley-hopkins-bike-lanes-city-council-parking

it's literally in everyone's best interst to take part in light physical activity, even mfers on life support

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s the deal with Switzerland and Ireland ?
https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/12/01/the-urbanists-ryan-packer-discusses-worsening-traffic-safety-crisis-on-kuow/

quote:

The pedestrian safety crisis has been worsening in Washington State and across the United States, even as most other industrialized nations have taken strides to reduce their traffic fatality rate in recent years. Emily Badger at the _New York Times_ recently [did a feature](https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/upshot/road-deaths-pedestrians-cyclists.html?searchResultPosition=2) on this troubling phenomenon which provided some extra focus on the topic. On Tuesday, our transportation reporter and senior editor Ryan Packer was on [KUOW’s Soundside program](https://www.kuow.org/stories/traffic-fatalities-spike-in-washington-state) to break down the trend along with Yonah Freemark, a researcher with the DC-based think tank Urban Institute.

The traffic safety crisis has many causes, and on nearly all fronts American governments are falling short of their global peers on interventions. The proof is in the data. Nearly 43,000 people died on American roads in 2021 according to official estimates. Among the 37 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) nations, the United States has had the highest rate of road deaths per capita since 2017.

“We’re continuing to see a big increase in the number of fatal and serious crashes on the roads in Washington,” Packer told Soundside host Libby Denkmann. “In recent years, 86% of people walking and biking who’ve been killed in Washington, have been killed on streets with a 30 mile per hour posted speed or higher.”

The number of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes has been at the heart of Washington’s spike in overall traffic deaths. Last year, the state saw nearly 150 people walking lose their lives on our streets, a 31.8% increase in one year and the highest figure seen in at least several decades. That trend is not showing any signs of slowing in 2022.

![Bar graph showing 145 people killed in 2021 compared to between 70 and 50 between 2002 and 2015](https://www.theurbanist.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/image.png)2021 was the most deadly year in Washington for pedestrians, according to data from the Washington Traffic Safety Commission. (WSTC)

Many American jurisdictions, including Seattle, Bellevue, and Washington State, have set “Vision Zero” goals of eliminating traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2030, following in the footsteps of a pioneering campaign in Sweden that greatly reduced traffic fatalities through design interventions. Unfortunately, American cities, in contrast, have made far less progress in actually achieving their Vision Zero goals, and have seen road fatalities trend up in recent years.

The pandemic helped accelerate safety progress in many nations, but the United States was again the exception, with the road fatality rate spiking during the pandemic, leading to an increase in fatalities even as vehicles miles traveled declined due to work-from-home provisions.

The United States, Switzerland, and Ireland are the exceptions to see higher fatalities during the pandemic among OECD nations. The U.S. has the highest road death rate among these nations. (Credit: The New York Times)

Packer and Freemark stressed that the traffic safety crisis can be solved. It’s an engineered crisis stemming from design failures. We often [touch on these topics ](https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/01/04/as-statewide-traffic-safety-emergency-escalates-seattles-vision-zero-department-charts-new-path/)at The Urbanist, but it’s helpful to review lessons learned from cities that are seeing major progress toward eliminating traffic deaths and from [leading research](https://www.theurbanist.org/2019/10/22/angie-schmitt-plots-a-way-out-of-the-pedestrian-safety-crisis-during-seattle-visit/). Here are a few:

* **Road design**: American transportation departments have been far less aggressive in redesigning their streets with safety and lower speeds in mind. While many European, Asian, and Latin American cities have seen widespread pedestrianization projects and connected safe bike networks, such interventions are relatively rare in the U.S.
* **Urban design**: American cities continues to put housing growth, jobs, and amenities in auto-dominated areas beset with dangerous high-speed roads. Putting jobs and commercial activity on wide arterial roads perpetuates unsafe interactions between pedestrians and high-speed car traffic that can prove deadly. Statistically, it’s a fatal crash waiting to happen.
* **Vehicle design**: American automobiles are bigger, heavier, and have fewer safety features, particularly directed at pedestrians. The physics is clear. Heavier vehicles are more likely to kill people walking, rolling, and biking in crashes. Features like high hoods and bull bars increase the risk further by delivering vehicular impact on pedestrians higher on their body closer to vital organs while increasing the risk of being pulled under the vehicle and crushed.
* **Underfunded transit encourage more Americans to drive. **American cities provide lower transit service levels than peer cities abroad. Lower frequencies mean transit trips take longer, which encourage people to use private vehicles instead. This leads to more cars on the road, increasing the odds of a collision.
* **Lax enforcement**: While design is the major difference between the U.S. and its counterparts, it should also be noted that some other nations have stiffer consequences for killing or injuring somebody with a car or operating a car while impaired — and they’re more likely to actually impose them. American authorities have a tendency to blame the victim walking, rolling, or biking rather than hold motorists accountable for crashes. Washington cities have an option to expand [camera enforcement](https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/06/24/cities-can-soon-add-more-speed-cameras-to-their-streets-but-no-ones-rushing-to-be-first/), which has the potential to be more equitable.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the YoY number looks bad in isolation, but they have a promising trend:
(note the figures below is not adjusted per capita, so as population increases the relative hazard ratio decreases even more)

also worth noting that Switzerland does a good job with rail freight, instead of trucking. 75% of the net tons transported through the Alps were transported by rail.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1598716624701382659

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

waiting for lights is letting satan win

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

one thing I don't miss about walking to the corner store Circle K in Phoenix is having to wait at the intersection of two 5-lane stroads and knowing that at any one time about 60 eyes are on you because you're the only thing around that has any distinguishable features so the motorists are just gonna sit there and look at you while they wait for their green. At least when they're not looking down at their phones

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stage fright in the crosswalk

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

approaching a car on my hands and knees so i can lick the tires to show absolute deference to the driver

don't do thus, car drivers see this as an act of submission and will deliberately run you over and grind you into paste afterwards

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mods change my name to leg bitch

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Hubbert posted:

don't do thus, car drivers see this as an act of submission and will deliberately run you over and grind you into paste afterwards

i give them a little thumbs up and a friendly wave as they do it to show my appreciation. it could have somehow been worse; perhaps they could have been driving with tire chains. at least i didn't slow them down

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bike tory posted:

mods change my name to leg bitch

get beefy, leg bitch

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I had some car trouble at work today. One problem led to another until I said gently caress it. I'll just walk home. I'm not in a big city but I'm not out in the boonies either. I ended up walking home for two hours. About 75% of it was sidewalk.

My feet are a little sore but that's the very first time I connected all the places between here and there on foot. I live in the armpit of the southern US but my little slice of suburbia was actually quite walk-able as it turns out. It got dark about an hour in but it's surprising how little light you need to walk around as long as you don't need to worry about cars seeing you. The most stressful part was the upscale suburb I had to cut through that didn't have sidewalks. I had to walk on the road and wave the flashlight on my phone so people would drive around me for the ten minutes I was in there.

I actually had a good time and I'm trying to think about how I can make this a more frequent thing for me. It felt good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

I had some car trouble at work today. One problem led to another until I said gently caress it. I'll just walk home. I'm not in a big city but I'm not out in the boonies either. I ended up walking home for two hours. About 75% of it was sidewalk.

My feet are a little sore but that's the very first time I connected all the places between here and there on foot. I live in the armpit of the southern US but my little slice of suburbia was actually quite walk-able as it turns out. It got dark about an hour in but it's surprising how little light you need to walk around as long as you don't need to worry about cars seeing you. The most stressful part was the rich suburb I had to cut through that didn't have sidewalks. I had to walk on the road and wave the flashlight on my phone so people would drive around me for the ten minutes I was in there.

I actually had a good time and I'm trying to think about how I can make this a more frequent thing for me. It felt good.

post the actual distance so we can judge your pedestrian prowess

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

post the actual distance so we can judge your pedestrian prowess

About 4.5 miles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im a fast walker

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe I can get there one day but I was already tired and kind of mad for the first 30 minutes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

good shoes? easy to catch a blister

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm a computer toucher so I wear very practical shoes to work so I can stomp from one very important thing to the next. They didn't let me down.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, I hope you've got nice shoes.

I used to walk almost 9km home from work if the streetcars weren't running, which was often because I'd get leave work at like 5AM sometimes. I couldn't do that these days because I've gained weight and my legs chafe, but other than that long-distance walking is something I've always enjoyed.

I'm not about to hike to the loving Yukon though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

walking places is my fav activity i like to go around the reservoir in the park most every day

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
My last job, on nice days and/or if I'd grabbed a couple of beers after work & didn't feel like waiting for a bus that only came every 20 minutes I'd walk the 2.5 miles home. It took like 45mins - 1 hour.

The more you do it, the easier it gets because your brain lets you tune out longer/safer/less complicated stretches.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greatbacon posted:

The more you do it, the easier it gets because your brain lets you tune out longer/safer/less complicated stretches.

Yeah this is true.

Having a pair of headphones helps, also. You can lose track of time easily when listening to a few albums you enjoy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think I'd walk anywhere near a road and zone out. Hell I probably wouldn't wear headphones either

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think I'd walk anywhere near a road and zone out. Hell I probably wouldn't wear headphones either

I hang out painting on a sidewalk against a busy 4 lane a lot. Good headphones really are amazing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

if your in the twin cities area today keep an eye out for the cool guy with good hair i'll be sucking off the first 37 pedestrians to tell me they hate cars

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in a row??

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

"look at that car, it's cool!"
-A deranged sicko

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In case you were worried you were hitting rock bottom, I just saw someone on Reddit asking if there's a counterpart to r/fuckcars that's pro cars.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

are the various car hobbyist subs not pro car enough?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ensign Expendable posted:

In case you were worried you were hitting rock bottom, I just saw someone on Reddit asking if there's a counterpart to r/fuckcars that's pro cars.

there are probably several dedicated to loving cars

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

are the various car hobbyist subs not pro car enough?

Presumably those don't actively oppose pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Noo they permanently closed it until they can find a solution:

https://twitter.com/NottsCC/status/1598738064708440064

I hope they install some more bollards to make up for the lost content

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1599763215583354882?s=20&t=UcMnhmz0q93-1JKjGTb6ZQ

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The hero we need.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cars-spray-painted-move-windows-25673875

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

quote:

Unfortunately a lot of our streets aren't wide enough for the amount of cars to park

Normal person: I guess I won't put things where there's not enough room for them
Person with car brain: I'm going to park regardless and make it everyone else's problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why should anything be my problem? I own a car.