Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Commencing the dadbike transition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
... for the CBR?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The endaddening can commence on any make and model of bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Superbikes are a very common dad steed.

The archetypes that like them are denial dad, crisis dad and bragging at the pub dad

They often feature lowered pegs, bar risers, mirror extenders, heated grips and luggage

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My vfr has heated grips, luggage, and self canceling turn signals

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm not against the daddening of the CBR, I was trying to clarify if that was the intended target for those bags - I thought I remembered him posting about buying another bike but am too lazy to dig through post history

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm really looking forward to endaddening my new-to-me SV650. All that's holding me back is I'm too broke right now to buy heated grips and luggage racks. The old CBR300R will feature such dadbike equipment when it goes on sale come spring though. Any future rider of it is likely a young person ignorant of dadbiking but I will try to argue the case of the topcase. Perhaps the young person has a dad. (I bought the Honda from the dad of a young person after all).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

The archetypes that like them are denial dad, crisis dad and bragging at the pub dad

They often feature lowered pegs, bar risers, mirror extenders, heated grips and luggage

Don't forget the bar muffs

The top box is going on the Scrambler. I know Ducati make one but it's a giant silver cube and would look even worse.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabGmSITU-8

I wish I could have accomplished this with one of the 6 fake buttons on the instrument cluster, but replacing the useless cigarette lighter port is fine too.

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Slavvy posted:

Don't google "dainese daddy" tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or do, live your life

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should I get a hi vis aerostitch

hard to tell what color I would like with one of these. I usually default to black

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
This is the dad thread. Of course you should buy an aerostich.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

A MIRACLE posted:

should I get a hi vis

Yes

A MIRACLE posted:

aerostitch

Oh.

Yes.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
need a rec, for a big bike like a godwing whats the suggested jack or lift? I want to work on the valk but dont want to get something that is meant for a sports bike and seems alot of things I look at are rated for cruisers or sports. I know HF has a decent jack rated to 1k, was wondering if the dadbike owners had other thoughts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One of these

Put it on the center stand, use it to jack the front wheel up. I usually dispense with the little feet things and just use a block of wood. The only bikes I can't lift with that type of jack are sporty faired stuff with asymmetric dagger sumps, oldwing should be no problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as the pipes don’t go below the frame rails

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At that point you use the little feet things or a block of wood

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ok, that looks similar to the stand I was thinking. Looks like a good bet then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never used one of those but how do you keep the bike from tipping forward/backward at the slightest touch? Even if you perfectly nail the balance point it seems like it would still tip easily

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:shrug: it just doesn't idk. I like using them in conjunction with a front wheel cradle but the platform is wide enough that it just isn't an issue, you can chock the wheel touching the ground if it really bothers you. You need two to get both wheels off the ground at once if you haven't got a center stand but you basically never need to do that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How risky would it be to buy a clean-looking dadbike without a test ride? In this case it's a 2015 FJR1300A with 16k miles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s barely broken in, drat

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I went to look at that one FJR expecting a dadbike based on the very daddish text of the ad, only to find the abused and rusted results of a bad owner. That said it was way older, 60k miles, the neglect was pretty obvious in person and after talking to the guy, and the crunchy steering was hard to hide.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Remy Marathe posted:

I went to look at that one FJR expecting a dadbike based on the very daddish text of the ad, only to find the abused and rusted results of a bad owner. That said it was way older, 60k miles, the neglect was pretty obvious in person and after talking to the guy, and the crunchy steering was hard to hide.

The more I look at the pictures in this listing the fewer doubts I have, so much that I've reserved a trailer to bring with me (it's about 2.5 hours away).

The guy's garage is immaculate which honestly scores him major bonus points. I certainly wouldn't be showing the inside of my garage in any for-sale ad I post.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

D A D B I K E V I B E S

I don't know what he was thinking with those aftermarket levers though. Both sides are adjustable from the factory.

The bike is also running Dyna Beads, which I don't have any experience with. I guess I'll stick with them on this set of tires as long as they don't give me any trouble but I already bought the balancing stand so I think I'll go back to stick on weights in the future.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

D A D B I K E V I B E S

I don't know what he was thinking with those aftermarket levers though. Both sides are adjustable from the factory.

The bike is also running Dyna Beads, which I don't have any experience with. I guess I'll stick with them on this set of tires as long as they don't give me any trouble but I already bought the balancing stand so I think I'll go back to stick on weights in the future.

maybe the PO just likes short levers? I'm more baffled by people who do not take the warning sticker off the tank at the first opportunity

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He wanted to do an 'upgrade' that didn't involve getting up off the couch for too long or using tools you can't get from harbor freight, is a common ailment

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

He wanted to do an 'upgrade' that didn't involve getting up off the couch for too long or using tools you can't get from harbor freight, is a common ailment

you wouldn't say that if you saw this guy's garage

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Have to travel a bit to vegas and then LA the week after that. Wondering if I should just take the interceptor as airfare is $$$ right now. 1700ish mile round trip

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

FBS posted:

D A D B I K E V I B E S

A MIRACLE posted:

Have to travel a bit to vegas and then LA the week after that. Wondering if I should just take the interceptor as airfare is $$$ right now. 1700ish mile round trip

Heard that some of the roads out west are more gravelly, potholed, and cracked than usual with recent extreme weather. But covering that distance for <$150 is a pretty great bargain.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea I’d be heading east from humboldt on the 36, then probably over the sierras into Reno area, then south thru Nevada desert to vegas. Come back north on the 101

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

We've been getting unusual bouts of snow and rain in Cali, I5 was recently closed due to blizzard, though I don't get the impression anyone expects another winter storm like we just went through.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/snow-closes-grapevine-california-interstate-5-17806954.php

Forecast aside though, what's your tolerance for long hauls and experience with the area? I rode through LA to Phoenix once, and in the words of a friend I wouldn't trade the experience for a thousand dollars, and I wouldn't pay a nickel to do it again. Crossing Arizona was... straight. Really, really straight, which made it hard to stay attentive. It was hot as a furnace at the time which didn't help. Los Angeles is stressful and best tackled while you're sharp and awake.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I lived and commuted on a moto in LA for about 7 years, recently relocating up here to the redwood coast. Longest haul was actually my move up here, about 700 miles. So this would be my longest trip on the bike by far. Trip is late april

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The other day I saw someone with a shirt that said “it’s not a dadbod it’s a father figure” and I thought of this thread.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I lived and commuted on a moto in LA for about 7 years, recently relocating up here to the redwood coast. Longest haul was actually my move up here, about 700 miles. So this would be my longest trip on the bike by far. Trip is late april

I say YOLO then, that loop looks like an amazing time. I've never ridden something that long either, for me it would be paramount to pace the ride out and take some whole "down days" of just chilling at the campsite or town and staying off the bike. Even in a car I'm beat after 6 hours on the road, if I tried your loop it looks like I'd need a minimum of 6 days of travel and 3 down days to not start hating it.

e; it's the dadbike thread so I feel safe admitting I would only cover another 4 hours' drive when leaving LA, maybe peel off the 101 to take 154 past Cachuma lake, consider some side roads, and end the day with an ocean-front motel with a fireplace in Pismo or Cambria. Futz around at some antique shops, hell yeah, road trip

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 28, 2023

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Yea I’d be heading east from humboldt on the 36, then probably over the sierras into Reno area, then south thru Nevada desert to vegas. Come back north on the 101

This does not seem like a great idea given the recent snowstorms - when do you need to travel? edit: duh, didn't see your other comment. Provided the mountains have cleared sufficiently by April this sounds like it could be entertaining (minus slabbing through the desert)

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 28, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

might be more interesting to take the 395 south from reno area, have no experience riding on that side of the mountains

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

A MIRACLE posted:

might be more interesting to take the 395 south from reno area, have no experience riding on that side of the mountains

This is a great ride, but snow is possible all the way until July. Be cautious about the weather.

Alternatively, you can do the long 95 from Reno to Vegas and replay fantasies of living in Mad Max. I've done both of those routes on bikes ranging from 400 to 1200 CC, and while the road through Bishop is beautiful the road through Tonopah is better for reliability. Depending on your bike bring an extra gas can - on 395 I've seen it where there's no open gas stations between Topaz and Bishop, and on 95 I've seen the same between Hawthorne and Beatty (the time that Tonopah had no power and none of the gas station generators worked lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
April is still a little early in some parts along 395.
The Bodie hotel in Bridgeport is good.

If you take 95
Mitzpah Hotel in Tonopah is also good.
Seconding to fuel up whenever possible. Expect winds.

I was camped out at DVNP for the most recent snow front. WIth the snow pack this year in the Sierras expect a slow start. It's generally well cleared by snow crews. I've ridden through there in November and February in years past but the uh snow has actually arrived this year.