Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Burnout the PS2 game? It's going to be hard on most retro consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Shard posted:

Apologies for the dumb question - talk to me like I'm 5

When I've gotten into emulation it's always go here download an emulator, go there download bios, go there and download isos. Then I put everything in the same folder or whatever and it kinda works but I'll try burnout and there is no sky and other such issues.

My question: is there a place that has a big download with everything already tinkered with and ready to go or is the only way to get this stuff to work is to get elbows deep into the guts?

Part of the problem is that for a lot of emulators, you will need to tinker with settings on a per-game basis to select whatever works for that particular game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

Part of the problem is that for a lot of emulators, you will need to tinker with settings on a per-game basis to select whatever works for that particular game.

Oh man per game is my poison. I'm weakwilled lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Does DraStic support achievements? I'm guessing it doesn't because development on it seems to have..slowed. The Melon core in RA seems alright but DQ9 drops frames on the reg and I need cheevos to live

e: though I get the feeling DQ9 is a chonky game to emulate

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 29, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Does DraStic support achievements? I'm guessing it doesn't because development on it seems to have..slowed. The Melon core in RA seems alright but DQ9 drops frames on the reg and I need cheevos to live

DQ9 doesn’t even run that well on a real DS

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DQ9 doesn’t even run that well on a real DS

yeah but the music didn't slow down with the framerate :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
2022 Handheld Roundup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAM3INcLeA

Shard posted:

Apologies for the dumb question - talk to me like I'm 5

When I've gotten into emulation it's always go here download an emulator, go there download bios, go there and download isos. Then I put everything in the same folder or whatever and it kinda works but I'll try burnout and there is no sky and other such issues.

My question: is there a place that has a big download with everything already tinkered with and ready to go or is the only way to get this stuff to work is to get elbows deep into the guts?
Arcadepunks premade disk images exist for raspberry pis and some common mini arcade systems like the neo geo mini or arcade 1up countercades or even x86 PCs, but there are no premade images for any of these android retro handhelds

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just got my R3P in the mail. Is there any way to set it up so that I can use the dpad to control the keyboard? I'd really prefer to keep touchscreen stuff to an absolute minimum.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Weirdly it seems fine now, wonder what I changed.

:iiam:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My butt has officially been saved by the RP3+ having a touch screen.

I did a lot of quick loading and quitting to test something and RA ate my main remap file, killing the physical buttons until I remapped them.

Without the touch screen I’d be reinstalling. Phew. Had a glimpse of my RP2 days.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What's the current hotness to put on the 351M? It now boots up saying no gamepad was detected, so I guess that's hopefully fixed by redoing the sd card?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AmberElec, formerly 351Elec. JELOS also exists but they recently went full Linux Guys and said they were going to stop putting out binaries because people should be able to compile it themselves.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ah yes amberelec sounds like the one.

Kinda sucks of the 351m to have everything on one card, I'm noticing now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FYI, the Play Store version of RA's MelonDS core doesn't work with cheevos right now. The nightly builds work just fine though.

Also make sure you're not a doofus and be sure to install the 64-bit RA lmao

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

stephenthinkpad posted:

Burnout the PS2 game? It's going to be hard on most retro consoles.

Yeah Burnout 3 is only recently payable on PC, if anyone wants to try their handheld though, I'm curious how takedown is running

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

forest spirit posted:

Yeah Burnout 3 is only recently payable on PC, if anyone wants to try their handheld though, I'm curious how takedown is running

The RP2+/3 compat spreadsheet says that the first three all run at like 10% no matter what lol

On the other hand, Legends and Dominator on PSP should be fine!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Has amberelec even updated in ages? I thought it was abandoned at this point. I will say that even though jelos wont be getting any more updates that this latest release is great and does everything you’d want it to do.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The Amberelec github shows activity a month ago. The last release was in June. https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

The RP2+/3 compat spreadsheet says that the first three all run at like 10% no matter what lol

On the other hand, Legends and Dominator on PSP should be fine!

On the other other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo3MSftYJOQ&t=102s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CFox posted:

Has amberelec even updated in ages? I thought it was abandoned at this point. I will say that even though jelos wont be getting any more updates that this latest release is great and does everything you’d want it to do.

Jelos will be getting updates, just you'll need to compile the code yourself because releasing binaries is too accomodating to the filthy casuals. Amberelec doesn't update often, usually a few times a year. The last major update was in June to add support for the RG552, since most retro handhelds are largely Android based now I'm wondering how much of a need there'll be for these kinds of custom firmwares as ongoing projects going forwards.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

njsykora posted:

Jelos will be getting updates, just you'll need to compile the code yourself because releasing binaries is too accomodating to the filthy casuals. Amberelec doesn't update often, usually a few times a year. The last major update was in June to add support for the RG552, since most retro handhelds are largely Android based now I'm wondering how much of a need there'll be for these kinds of custom firmwares as ongoing projects going forwards.

Don't you guys have linux boxes to compile your own binaries? :smuggo:

In all seriousness, are there any devices besides the Retroid Pocket 2 that support lineageOS?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Are there options for a different OS on the Retroid 2+? If so, why would I want it? If it matters, the Retroid is primarily my Saturn and Dreamcast emulator since I have no other devices to fill that void.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

well then

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I just ordered a Steam Deck, and I'm looking to sell my Anberbic RG552.

I will include the Samsung SD cards I bought for it to replace the cheap Chinese cards it came with.

I thought I'd see if there was anyone in this thread that might be interested in grabbing it.

I'm thinking $125 shipped.

If not I'll throw it up on SA Mart or Facebook Marketplace.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Evercade EXP is finally coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8FTkmjUqk

A bit late to the party sure, but more competition is good. Also a 3:2 (GBA ratio) screen.

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1597667940090122240

Walla posted:

Are there options for a different OS on the Retroid 2+? If so, why would I want it? If it matters, the Retroid is primarily my Saturn and Dreamcast emulator since I have no other devices to fill that void.
No, they are Android only.

Keep in mind Retroids have never supported any version of the Linux-based EmuElec, and even the first 2 Retroid Pockets only had Pandoras Box OS as another option, which itself is just a heavily modified android.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 2, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there other competition in the Miyoo v2 space? All of the case and button colors are a bit "off" compare to the actual Nintendo console color.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Good lord the Analogue Pocket is so loving sick. I can’t get enough of this thing. I wish the aftermarket cores had the filters and sleep mode stuff but that’s about all I could ask for. If you want to play gba or snes games on the go or on your tv buy one of these guys. Having a blast checking out neogeo stuff too. Owns owns owns.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

Good lord the Analogue Pocket is so loving sick. I can’t get enough of this thing. I wish the aftermarket cores had the filters and sleep mode stuff but that’s about all I could ask for. If you want to play gba or snes games on the go or on your tv buy one of these guys. Having a blast checking out neogeo stuff too. Owns owns owns.

i always wanted a neo geo growing up but my dad had to spend money on things like rent and electricity. now i can get one that fits in my pocket and also play Warioland 4 on it. the dream unfolds.

still haven't shipped it yet though.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

uber_stoat posted:

i always wanted a neo geo growing up but my dad had to spend money on things like rent and electricity. now i can get one that fits in my pocket and also play Warioland 4 on it. the dream unfolds.

still haven't shipped it yet though.

I finally broke mine out and set it up last night.
I was specifically wanting to play the Neo Geo games and sent my brother a short video of the opening of Samurai Showdown II playing on the pocket to brag.
It handles really really nice. Once I can unpack my stuff I can break out my RAP stick and bust out some KOF.

I made the false assumption I could play sega cd games on it though. That made me sad that I cannot yet.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

It should have everything annoying wrt managing a handheld front end streamlined at that bonkers price IMO. Save states, library metadata and management, filters, etc. But I guess you're paying for the industrial design (and fpga, but I'm not sure if there are any games not emulated to a level where it's necessary to run the game)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

forest spirit posted:

It should have everything annoying wrt managing a handheld front end streamlined at that bonkers price IMO. Save states, library metadata and management, filters, etc. But I guess you're paying for the industrial design (and fpga, but I'm not sure if there are any games not emulated to a level where it's necessary to run the game)

Honestly at just over $300 with the dock I feel like it’s a loving bargain. The screen on it is INSANE. The filters look so so nice. I used the auto updater someone made to update the extra cores and just copied a bunch of roms over and it’s good to go. Swapping between handheld and tv, using the 8bitdo snes pro and arcade stick depending on what games I’m playing is so choice. Love it. Have one of those Genesis controllers on the way. Need an nba jam arcade core asap.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I honestly don't know the actual list price, and if you can even get one for that price.

I've always seen them advertised at 800USD and up depending what extra FPGA cores you got.

Saw one on marketplace that was going for 1200 Canadian. It was gone in a day so people are paying these prices.

For 300 dollars I would definitely consider buying one though

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

does Android have something like Cheat Engine like on windows? or is the OS too compartmentalized to hack stuff outside of the tools retroarch provides?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

coconono posted:

does Android have something like Cheat Engine like on windows? or is the OS too compartmentalized to hack stuff outside of the tools retroarch provides?

https://gameguardian.net/forum/files/file/2-gameguardian/

You need to root to really get good results IIRC

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well I dunno what I did but Melon is back to running DQ9 and Portrait of Ruin badly, instead of essentially perfect. What the hell man.

E: I'm a huge idiot, FolderSync was doing stuff in the background and eating CPU lmao

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 3, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sidenote: portrait of ruin is a good rear end game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

I never got far in it initially because I had a slow SD card/R4 so I ran into the uh, inadvertent anti-piracy of the game not being able to load fast enough and crashing, but yeah it's pretty good!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

I never got far in it initially because I had a slow SD card/R4 so I ran into the uh, inadvertent anti-piracy of the game not being able to load fast enough and crashing, but yeah it's pretty good!
Yeah I remember it being pretty crashy on my M3 back in the day, good to know it probably won't happen on TwilightMenu if I get impatient about waiting for a DS collection from Konami.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Portrait of Ruin is the best of the DS Vanias, fight me Ecclesia nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

It kicks rear end