Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how medicore are those products?

are they just off priced and okay, or are they like the razors that are just off brand of that other major player, a major brand that's had a quality drop since they moved to overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
MeUndies sell entirely on the basis of being able to open a package and yell "yarrrr, me undies!" at your significant other.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i listened to a bunch of podcasts and now i have 12 vpns, 15 websites, 20 on going games of raid: shadow legends and every day a box filled with either underwear, genital grooming gear, or food is delivered to my home

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This ChatGPT thing means I can get my share of coiner quotes without ever having to actually go to Reddit!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have over 40 mattresses in my house. Please call the police. I can't get out anymore and am starving.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I have over 40 mattresses in my house. Please call the police. I can't get out anymore and am starving.

You're turning Purple

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I haven't ever bought the Podcast Underwear but i know folks who have and really like it. Micro modal underwear is very comfortable but if you don't care about the patterns you can get nice stuff much cheaper elsewhere.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Aramis posted:

A blockchain-based license is exactly as transferable as a server-based one. In the sense that's it's entirely up to the whim of the developper.

Yeah the way I typed it was dumb. What I meant is that you can allow for resale without direct involvement from the company who originally sold it to you.

It would be a nice way to allow for resale which has exactly 0 chance of being embraced by any software company.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Scratch Monkey posted:

Hello Fresh brings the food right to you!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Hello Adobe. What if instead of selling your licenses for $500 each, you NFT them and collect a 5% cut on the resale? That way, when my friend needs it, he can buy it from me, and then you get $25 instead of the full $500. It's revolutionary! Also, if my friend gets scammed in a transaction in which you were not involved, he'll also call your support line to complain. Just sign here:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

tango alpha delta posted:

hey, guys, guys, guys

crypto is so 2022, so hear me out because i have a great business opportunity for everyone and you are getting in on the ground floor!

now i'm not a baker or a mechanical engineer; i'm more of an 'idea guy' and if you all give me money, i can hire those experts to make our dream come true!

so, how cool would it be if we started manufacturing cars that use angel food cake for fuel? i mean, c'mon, they would smell delicious and you could have a quick snack while you 'gas up' lol

i mean how hard can it be to make an internal combustion engine but one that is powered by cake? it'll take over the world! imagine how much the stock prices in Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines would go to the moooooon!

Let's break down this cake recipe step by step.

First, the directions tell me to #include butter, eggs, and flour - what is the significance of #include?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

FlapYoJacks posted:

He’s a libertarian who couldn’t keep his mouth shut about his thoughts on the age of consent, as most libertarians do.

lmfao, every single time with libertarians

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

Hello Adobe. What if instead of selling your licenses for $500 each, you NFT them and collect a 5% cut on the resale? That way, when my friend needs it, he can buy it from me, and then you get $25 instead of the full $500. It's revolutionary! Also, if my friend gets scammed in a transaction in which you were not involved, he'll also call your support line to complain. Just sign here:

also I want to make a profit here so I'll be selling it for around $600-$1000

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

You forgot the part where Adobe would have to pay fees themselves every time they want to issue more NFT backed keys for their software in that hell world of NFT software keys instead of standard database software keys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kronix posted:

Yeah the way I typed it was dumb. What I meant is that you can allow for resale without direct involvement from the company who originally sold it to you.

It would be a nice way to allow for resale which has exactly 0 chance of being embraced by any software company.
Blockchain doesn't even cross that bridge if no one wants it to. A business blockchain would still be run by the company who sold it with any sort of process they want to transfer keys. And if they wanted to run it on ethereum cause they want underpants on their head they can still require themself as a party to the smart contract so that they could turn it off for example if the software is retired and they don't want dupes complaining to support they bought a very legit smart contract key and need help running the dead software. Or else because they were shocked their underpants are on their head and they shut the entire contract down.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lmao if any of you believe EMoney isn't just pasting SYQs.

Why would I give them that when I can assume they're a pure strain bitcoin believer? The second is far more exciting.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Does anyone else mentally insert coke snorting sounds when reading Seraph's posts?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Does anyone else mentally insert coke snorting sounds when reading Seraph's posts?

Every time a coiner posts. It's like the sound of a basset hound who just smelled Thanksgiving leftovers from a week ago.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boxturret posted:

i listened to a bunch of podcasts and now i have 12 vpns, 15 websites, 20 on going games of raid: shadow legends and every day a box filled with either underwear, genital grooming gear, or food is delivered to my home

https://github.com/ajayyy/SponsorBlock

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

how medicore are those products?

are they just off priced and okay, or are they like the razors that are just off brand of that other major player, a major brand that's had a quality drop since they moved to overseas.

The razors were bad, Dollar Shave and Harry’s

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What if we revolutionised everything again, by moving a Blockchain to a central server, where everyone could ping the server with data read/write requests, and the server would handle it?

That way no one needs to have multi giga/terabyte Blockchain downloads, and if the server was verified by whoever owned it they could modify it to avoid the transaction rate limit.

This could change everything!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Just another day, another scammer *checks notes* calls other people child molesters when they point out the scammer is indeed a scammer.

https://twitter.com/FatManTerra/status/1598491402110918656?t=0RmTxnRQb38bpjywTe2ivw&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's weird when someone just shows up in the thread and tosses out their bro-MLM negging pitch like it works on anyone but the faithful. They must huddle on twitter coming up with these things like those sad dudes who workshop their "open" to each other over a hypothetical encounter with a woman.

It's a mix between that and a phenomenon I've seen in various contexts online; people who've been living in a very specific circle turned echo chamber for their specific opinions and beliefs and convinced themselves that they're the cool kids club and on the cutting edge, and mistake their in-group clout and support for being universal when they march out and lay down the law to the ignorant and the haters. See the 'not my job to educate you' people.

Chainclaw posted:

You forgot the part where Adobe would have to pay fees themselves every time they want to issue more NFT backed keys for their software in that hell world of NFT software keys instead of standard database software keys.

Also said before but a key fallacy of libertarians in general is basically a failure to understand... power relations in general, and combine the tech bro mindset of computers being literal magic and you get some real stupid ideas getting real big.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a mix between that and a phenomenon I've seen in various contexts online; people who've been living in a very specific circle turned echo chamber for their specific opinions and beliefs and convinced themselves that they're the cool kids club and on the cutting edge, and mistake their in-group clout and support for being universal when they march out and lay down the law to the ignorant and the haters. See the 'not my job to educate you' people.

Also said before but a key fallacy of libertarians in general is basically a failure to understand... power relations in general, and combine the tech bro mindset of computers being literal magic and you get some real stupid ideas getting real big.

This is why learning machine language should be loving mandatory for every computer toucher; learning about registers, the stack, memory allocation and the status register demystifies A LOT about how computers work.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

A man still talking to reporters posted:

Bankman-Fried pulls out his laptop (an Acer Predator) and opens a spreadsheet to show what he meant. It’s similar to the balance sheet he reportedly showed investors when he was seeking a last-minute bailout, which he says consolidated FTX and Alameda’s positions because by then the fund had defaulted on its debt. On one line—labeled “What I *thought*”—he lists $8.9 billion in debts and way more than enough money to pay them: $9 billion in liquid assets, $15.4 billion in “less liquid” assets and $3.2 billion in “illiquid” ones. He tells me this was more or less the position he was considering when he had the meeting with the other executives.

“It looks naively to me like, you know, there’s still some significant liabilities out there, but, like, we should be able to cover it,” he says.

“So what’s the problem, then?”

Bankman-Fried points to another place on the spreadsheet, which he says shows the actual truth of the situation at the time of the meeting. This one shows similar numbers, but with $8 billion less liquid assets.

“What’s the difference between these two rows here?” he asks.

“You didn’t have $8 billion in cash that you thought you had,” I say.

“That’s correct. Yes.”

“You misplaced $8 billion?” I ask.

“Misaccounted,” Bankman-Fried says,

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

having a mystery penny in an account is something that would make me tear though everything to find where the error was, I can't imagine just losing 8 Billion

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Boxturret posted:

having a mystery penny in an account is something that would make me tear though everything to find where the error was, I can't imagine just losing 8 Billion

i believe the term you are looking for is "misaccounted"

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Pham Nuwen posted:

This ChatGPT thing means I can get my share of coiner quotes without ever having to actually go to Reddit!

Whoa. That's pretty good copy. I'ma set up a Fiverr account and make articles for people for :10bux:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Boxturret posted:

And the thing is that was meant to be cash. Like that should of been easier to keep track of than the value of "assets" -which I'm assuming was mostly just a bunch of crypto- that's assets can fluctuate or could lose access too, or what ever other stupid stuff happens with cypto.

Like how the hell is the cash just not there. Did they just manage to spend $ 8 Billion with out noticing. Did they never check how much cash they had left. Like the hell?

He or someone/everyone at the company else, must of just stolen it right?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

PITY BONER posted:

Whoa. That's pretty good copy. I'ma set up a Fiverr account and make articles for people for :10bux:

It may not surprise you, but that is how a lot of those articles are written nowadays. Just churn out the articles to generate clicks.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

PITY BONER posted:

https://futurism.com/msn-is-publishing-more-fake-news

quote:

MSN Fired Its Human Journalists and Replaced Them With AI That Started Publishing Fake News About Mermaids and Bigfoot

"I spend all my time reading about how automation and AI is going to take all our jobs, and here I am," one fired MSN staffer told The Guardian at the time. "AI has taken my job."

That anonymous staffer imparted a prescient warning: that though the human team had employed close editorial guidelines to vet the material that appeared on MSN's site, the new automated system would likely struggle to bring the same level of nuance and skepticism.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

It may not surprise you, but that is how a lot of those articles are written nowadays. Just churn out the articles to generate clicks.

I believe sports, finance, news sections are filled with AI written articles, as you just need to train the ai to correctly put the right numbers and names in a pretty generic formula, maybe have and editor give it a quick read for any obvious mistakes and done.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

dr_rat posted:

And the thing is that was meant to be cash. Like that should of been easier to keep track of than the value of "assets" -which I'm assuming was mostly just a bunch of crypto- that's assets can fluctuate or could lose access too, or what ever other stupid stuff happens with cypto.

Like how the hell is the cash just not there. Did they just manage to spend $ 8 Billion with out noticing. Did they never check how much cash they had left. Like the hell?

He or someone/everyone at the company else, must of just stolen it right?

I assume at least partially the disagreement about how much liquid assets ftx had is down to the fact that sbf and others inexplicably view ftt as a real, liquid, cash equivalent. Didn't he say in one of his many poorly advised interviews that everything is fine because ftt was worth billions until recently? He just doesn't seem to get that it's funny money and isn't, and never was, worth anything really.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aramis posted:

NFTs as DRM is utter bullshit for a various number of reasons, player behaviors being driven by greed being a big one indeed. However, it's trivial to write a smart contract in a way where the game's developer gets a cut of each transaction. It's terrible for a number of reasons, but not being able to extract profit from them certainly not one of them.

I was Delighted by that guy who wrote a bunch of smart contracts that meant he could just buy everyone else's bitcoins out from under them for almost nothing, then he did that and walked away with all their money lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OrthoTrot posted:

I assume at least partially the disagreement about how much liquid assets ftx had is down to the fact that sbf and others inexplicably view ftt as a real, liquid, cash equivalent. Didn't he say in one of his many poorly advised interviews that everything is fine because ftt was worth billions until recently? He just doesn't seem to get that it's funny money and isn't, and never was, worth anything really.

nooooooope it's just there was a line item essentially saying "iou from alameda" that was hard-coded to be good as cash in the bank (to hide the theft from everyone else) and it turns out that iou was not in fact a good liquid asset

the ftt and serum scam was on top of that as a "semi-liquid" asset

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read a bunch about enron and worldcom and zzzz best. Their schemes were remarkably similar to FTX.

Imagine you want to gamble on something risky. For Enron that would be a gas company that isn't making a profit in Brazil, but maybe they can turn it around. For worldcom, it's a failing ISP that has some potential, for FTX its a pile of shitcoins. You want to be smart about how you take on the risk to look good to your investors. What do you do?

Basically you make a new company. Call it "risky-asset-buyer llc". Then you give this new company a loan, say of a a billion dollars. The loan terms include that the loan has to be used to buy the risky asset, and then part of the loan conditions is that your real company gets all the profits. On your balance sheet you mark down that the loan payments coming back from risky-asset-buyer llc are revenue. After all, loans are always a revenue stream to someone right?

If the risk pays off then you're golden. All the revenue comes back, your loan is paid in full, and you have a new line of profits. If the risk goes badly though now your revenue that you put on the books is fake and everything gets screwed up. Maybe risky-asset-buyer llc takes out a loan to refinance and then uses that to pay you back, or even worse maybe you had borrowed the money in the first place and now you're totally underwater.

Its funny because when you draw the boundary at Enron they were hugely profitable. But at the end of the day those profits were actually loan repayments from all of their shell companies that were engaged in absurdly bad business. All the losses were to the shell companies. If you draw the boundary wider you see that they were just taking out loans and then paying themselves with the loan balance, and then taking out more loans to cover the first ones - a classic ponzi.

I heard some econ professor recently say that all business fraud ultimately boils down to a ponzi and I think reading about how it works helped me understand that. Yes, its accounting fraud at some level, but the accounting part is the cover-up and the fraudulent loans are the part that makes the executives money. Its funny to watch SBF scramble to try and assemble the accounting fraud after the fact. His spreadsheet is a hilarious "late-homework" attempt to emulate his much more competent predecessors.

edit: for those that want to read about it its pretty great:
zzzz best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Minkow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldCom_scandal
Many many funny details in this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madoff_investment_scandal

I was around when this stuff happened, but only recently I think I can follow sorta what happened thanks to reading about crypto. It's pretty interesting!

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 3, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tango alpha delta posted:

This is why learning machine language should be loving mandatory for every computer toucher; learning about registers, the stack, memory allocation and the status register demystifies A LOT about how computers work.

If you teach fools machine language you're going to end up with fools who've programmed in machine language.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

If you teach fools machine language you're going to end up with fools who've programmed in machine language.

That's right, the correct answer for what he's proposing is to force every computer toucher to build each of the basic logic gates from a pile of SPDT relays and wire

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

quote:

After being released from jail, Minkow became a pastor and fraud investigator in San Diego, and spoke at churches and schools about ethics. This came to an end in 2011, when he admitted to helping deliberately drive down the stock price of homebuilder Lennar and was ordered back to prison for five years. Three years later, Minkow admitted to defrauding his own church and was sentenced to an additional five years in prison. He is subject to restitution requirements totaling $612 million.

that's a great link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wake up... Mr. Boomer... Wake up, and sell the ashes.