Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scooting in with one last recommendation: Catherynne Valente has a pretty fun series starting with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good single volume history of Germany?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gripweed posted:

The Milhist thread also fields all sorts of other history questions. The fine folks there will be happy to recommend you something.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Gripweed posted:

Urs Allemann’s novel from 1992.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LLSix posted:

The Milhist thread also fields all sorts of other history questions. The fine folks there will be happy to recommend you something.

I'll see what they have to say, thanks.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Urs Allemann’s novel from 1992.

You gotta read another book man

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Which Thomas Ligotti book should I start with? Really love to dwell in a bleak melancholy world rn

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

tuyop posted:

Which Thomas Ligotti book should I start with? Really love to dwell in a bleak melancholy world rn

Conspiracy Against The Human Race is set in my favourite bleak melancholy world (the real one)

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

tuyop posted:

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe is a great starting point imo

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

Conspiracy Against The Human Race is set in my favourite bleak melancholy world (the real one)

I’ve got it on my list but I feel like fiction really distilled an argument and the affective dimensions of the despair. Also my list is too long.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe is a great starting point imo

Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am looking for a book with a protagonist (any gender) who wants to leave her family for any reason and gets to do so. Preferably urban fantasy or paranormal romance in genre, but I'll take anything at this point... mostly because I'm mildly annoyed at three separate series featuring women who left their domineering werewolf/werecat packs/prides before the book started, founded their own independent life, and then plot drags them back in kicking and screaming to deal with them again.

The series that mildly annoyed me: Pat Briggs' Mercy series, Rachel Vincent's Stray series, and Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series.

One exception I can think of: Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series, as that book is all about Kitty getting out of her abusive pack and making her own way as a radio talk show host and werewolf.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Gripweed posted:

"The Shortest History of Germany" from James Hawes is alright if you want the entire (recorded) history of Germany in one book. Though the further it goes into modern era, the more strenuous its overarching interpretation of East Germany as bulwark of reaction and West Germany as bulwark of progress becomes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a book recommendation for my wife -

Her favorite film has always been The Godfather (no, do not just recommend she reads the Godfather books). Over the last few years, we've been working through the Yakuza game series and she absolutely loves it.

She likes the crime family aspect, but she especially likes the tragic stories about interpersonal relationships and people manipulating each other for power.

Anyone have any recommendations for books that have a similar vibe?

EDIT: Also - no true crime stuff. She's only interested in fiction.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 13, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Shogun, Dune, A Song of Ice and Fire

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Shogun series by James Clavell is what springs to mind. It's a bit dated now but for 80s values of white dude writing abut Asian history they hold up. Well written and paced etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Just to clarify a bit, Shogun isn't a series per se, it's a standalone novel. Clavell wrote a bunch of Asian-set novels but they involve various countries and time periods and are mostly unrelated to each other.

Shogun is by far the best. Tai-Pan is good as well and also has a ton of political and family intrigue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

mostly unrelated to each other.

Clavell billed them as the "Asian Saga." Four of the books are directly connected (in the "this book is about the kids of the people from the last book" kinda way), then Shogun and GaiJin are sortof off to the side but tie in through various characters as descendants of other characters and that sort of thing.

They're not a series in the modern sense of a continuous story with the same characters, though, yeah. And they have BIG problems from a "wait, let's hear more opinions from a 1980s white dude about Asian history" kinda way. But Clavell was a talented writer and knew how to tell a story and they're definitely page-turners; they were favorites of mine back in the 80's and 90's when I first read them.

Another thing in the same general vein is Edward Rutherford's _Sarum_, which attempts to be a complete history of England, or more precisely of Salisbury Plain, from prehistoric times to 1985, by covering the history of six interwoven families.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 13, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

She likes the crime family aspect, but she especially likes the tragic stories about interpersonal relationships and people manipulating each other for power.

The first couple Gormenghast books maybe?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Her favorite film has always been The Godfather (no, do not just recommend she reads the Godfather books). Over the last few years, we've been working through the Yakuza game series and she absolutely loves it.

The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings

I, Claudius by Robert Graves

She'd probably like Michael McDowel's books, especially Gilded Needles and The Blackwater Saga

Bellefleur and My Heart Laid Bare by Joyce Carol Oates

Oh, if she really wants something to chew on there's Les Rougon-Macquart by Emile Zola https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Rougon-Macquart not every book is about a criminal but there's a streak of criminality in the family and it contains several of the great French tragic novels.

It's not a crime family drama but it is Japanese, Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama

The most Yakuza like fiction is on film unfortunately, but she should check out the Battles Without Honor and Humanity series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_Without_Honor_and_Humanity and Kitano's Yakuza films

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 14, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You all are coming in clutch. I'll pass on all these recommendations to her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Seconding Shogun. Dune has the manipulation aspect, and only doesn't involve crime families because the criminals are the nobles so make the laws.

For crime stuff, it's hard to go wrong with The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's the story of a fantasy conman.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am looking for a book with a protagonist (any gender) who wants to leave her family for any reason and gets to do so. Preferably urban fantasy or paranormal romance in genre, but I'll take anything at this point... mostly because I'm mildly annoyed at three separate series featuring women who left their domineering werewolf/werecat packs/prides before the book started, founded their own independent life, and then plot drags them back in kicking and screaming to deal with them again.

The series that mildly annoyed me: Pat Briggs' Mercy series, Rachel Vincent's Stray series, and Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series.

One exception I can think of: Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series, as that book is all about Kitty getting out of her abusive pack and making her own way as a radio talk show host and werewolf.

You're really going to like The Sharing Knife series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Walh Hara posted:

You're really going to like The Sharing Knife series.

I think you're right. I already like Bujold.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's the best book about Frederick II?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mordiceius posted:

Jade City and the whole Green Bones series. 40s/50s fantasy world, but one island has magic jade that people (with training) can use to become martial arts punch wizards, and then they can join the clans that help and protect folks when they aren't at war with each other. Very realistic, once you accept the premise, and great, well rounded characters. Godfather is a clear influence, but this book goes its own way. The later books have more and better international relations than I expected.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking for a book on Oliver Cromwell and all the history around him, preferably something fiction. That is, still true, but told as more of a story, not a fan of dry history.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Is there any fiction books in a genre that usually treats women like crap that doesn’t do that?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The man called M posted:

Is there any fiction books in a genre that usually treats women like crap that doesn’t do that?

Ursula Le Guin mostly wrote scifi and fantasy and she was good to her female characters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The man called M posted:

Cradle and Forge of Destiny both have strong female characters in a genre where women are often sold as child brides to men 100s of years older then them. And yes, I mean that literally, Xianxia is a weird, unlovely niche.

Simon R. Green’s Hawk and Fisher short stories are notable for being Noir stories with a female detective (Fisher and her husband Hawk are a team and she’s just as tough as him). His Deathstalker series is also relatively good about having powerful female characters, but it’s less spot on than Hawk & Fisher.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 1, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Charles Sheffield could write a decent female character. The few Delaney I read were also decent, but I read from a male perspective so I am likely missing things.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any fun pop non-fiction about hotly contested theological issues? Emphasis on the ideas themselves and not the political ramifications of the religious controversy.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

FPyat posted:

Any fun pop non-fiction about hotly contested theological issues? Emphasis on the ideas themselves and not the political ramifications of the religious controversy.

Bart Ehrman might be up your alley.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Sounds excellent!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Elaine Pagels too I suppose

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for novels set in the intelligence community but not spy stuff or Jack Ryan per se, more the diplomat / ambassador / handler level stuff. Something like Count Fenring in Dune, or Laird Barron's story The Siphon, except not fantasy or horror. Thanks!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for novels set in the intelligence community but not spy stuff or Jack Ryan per se, more the diplomat / ambassador / handler level stuff. Something like Count Fenring in Dune, or Laird Barron's story The Siphon, except not fantasy or horror. Thanks!

I'm drunk but maybe Victor Canning?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you read the Culture novels?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Have you read the Culture novels?

I think maybe one or two? The Mote in God's Eye, something like that? I wasn't looking for sci Fi but you're not the first person to recommend these to me so I'll have to check them out.

E: looks like that's not a Culture novel after all, not sure why I thought it was

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm drunk but maybe Victor Canning?

Will look into it, thanks!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you tried Alan Furst? His specialty is spy stuff in pre-World War II Europe. Maybe not as high-level as you want, but it's more cerebral stuff in the line of Eric Ambler or John Le Carre than Bourne, Bond, or Ryan.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Selachian posted:

Have you tried Alan Furst? His specialty is spy stuff in pre-World War II Europe. Maybe not as high-level as you want, but it's more cerebral stuff in the line of Eric Ambler or John Le Carre than Bourne, Bond, or Ryan.

Following up on this, Le Carre is technically "spy stuff" but it is not schlocky spy stuff. The way I describe it to people is, "The tensest parts of the books are when the protagonist has to meet with his boss to justify his budget," and I mean that in a good way. Lots of diplomacy, handlers, etc. The "Smiley trilogy" is probably the best place to start.

Edit: The other place people recommend starting with him is "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold," but it is actually somewhat more directly related to spy tradecraft than some of his other stuff, so might not be the best place to start with your specific interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Le Carre has a bunch of novels about handlers and diplomats

The Antrobus stories by Lawrence Durrell

The Slow Horses series which is mainly focused on data analysts being asked to become proper spies

Rubicon was a great tv series about data analysts

edit: oh poo poo I forgot The Sandbaggers is probably the greatest intelligence community television series, there's a conspiracy theory that the writer was killed for leaking state secrets through the show. Anyway, it's primarily about the handlers having to deal with the fact that their ultra-component spies are a very rare commodity that wear down and get killed and have to be saved for the most important missions only.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 3, 2022